AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-26, 21:46   Link #81
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I like the idea of keeping the entries anon. It would also improve the surprise at the end
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
I'll fix that pixelated look Oh and what do you mean blue? Is it blur?
The "e" key is next to the "r"

Now it looks a lot better

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-02-26, 22:03   Link #82
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

My participation.

I love Claymore and Clare (Teresa too)
Old 2008-02-26, 22:41   Link #83
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Just my humble opinion, feel free to disagree:
1. I don't think it such a good idea for names to be listed next to entries during the voting phase since I think some people are persuaded to vote for the person they like more than actually choosing the work they find to be the best. Granted, several artists here have a distinct style, so it may be easy to guess who did which piece.
I don't agree with this. While Kasumi and Sephi did get a large portion of the votes, there were other big names that did not. If there was favoritism in the last contest, I didn't see it. You could argue the voting was a bandwagon event, but even then, lack of names wouldn't change much because people would be voting for their own reasons anyway. It's their votes and they'll use them however they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
2. I also think it slightly...mmmm....strange to be allowed to post possible entries for public critique since the sig sometimes ends up a work of art affected by more than the artist's original intention. Instead of the artist's own interpretation of the theme, it can end up more as the community's idea of the theme. Is this too far-fetched of an observation?
Show me an example during the last contest where this happened, and I might agree with you. I didn't see it. I saw quite a few revisions, sure, but they were based on personal feedback and cc about the sig (too much blur, too pixelated, file size too big, etc.). That's a good thing. It shows that people were trying to improve and make better entries.

The point is not to win for epeen, but to win for community building. I wonder what sigs will turn out from this theme. I wonder what 30+ sigs of the same theme, all from different artists, will look like. The winner gets to choose the theme, but we all win by making good sigs, learning, and having fun.

Last contest had quite a variety. I fully expected lots of perverted sigs and was surprised that many were tasteful and interesting to look at. I was surprised by the voting, some entries I didn't expect to get votes get quite a few, and others that I expected to did not.

Both the entry and the voting phases of the last contest got a lot of response. In addition to both threads having a large amount of discussion, I received so many PM's on various SOTM issues I had to clear my box out twice. I just started this thread a day or two ago and I've already gotten four PM's and there's four pages of entries...and we've got almost three weeks to go before voting. In short, I *have* to make this thread, because we *need* a central spot for this contest.

Like I said in the last contest, I'm not going to handicap people. If you want to compete, step up to the challenge and make the best sig you can. If you are worried that a "bigger name" is going to steal the thunder, show your stuff and steal it back.
Old 2008-02-26, 22:43   Link #84
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Sheesh! Everyone is so fast w/ their works We've got until March 14th and I'm going to use the extended time! (also only free on weekends)
Everyone's looks great so far ^_^

Just my humble opinion, feel free to disagree:
1. I don't think it such a good idea for names to be listed next to entries during the voting phase since I think some people are persuaded to vote for the person they like more than actually choosing the work they find to be the best. Granted, several artists here have a distinct style, so it may be easy to guess who did which piece.
2. I also think it slightly...mmmm....strange to be allowed to post possible entries for public critique since the sig sometimes ends up a work of art affected by more than the artist's original intention. Instead of the artist's own interpretation of the theme, it can end up more as the community's idea of the theme. Is this too far-fetched of an observation?
#1. I offered the suggestion since last competition. It was rejected.

#2. Just post it in your threads then. Here, there, in the end, do you want to win; or do you want to stick to your identity?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-02-26, 22:47   Link #85
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
If you are worried that a "bigger name" is going to steal the thunder, show your stuff and steal it back.
I agree 100%!! Well put!

:cookie:

Old 2008-02-26, 22:49   Link #86
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

altho I never did vote last month, which I totally forgot too.
this time think I'll throw something into the mixer and see what slab of pixles falls out.

and good thing I just finished doing a inventory of my HDD, can now find things where they are suposed to be!

off to find a render!
Old 2008-02-26, 23:24   Link #87
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

*nudge Bonta*

Sekirei united! >=D
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-02-27, 01:15   Link #88
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Here goes mine. I ran out of ideas even though I had this great big plan, lol ^^

Most likely will change in like 24 hours ^^

Mine feels so different from everyone elses >.<

edited by me ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2008-03-05 at 22:59.
Old 2008-02-27, 01:27   Link #89
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ You think so? Wait till you see the current one that I've tried to animate.. Even Martian will feel like home

The motion blur could do with a little tweak IMO.. Current one kinda like unrealistic for her hand @.@ Try to give a bit more downward arc a bit.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-02-27, 01:37   Link #90
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
^ You think so? Wait till you see the current one that I've tried to animate.. Even Martian will feel like home

The motion blur could do with a little tweak IMO.. Current one kinda like unrealistic for her hand @.@ Try to give a bit more downward arc a bit.
I thought that too, but I didn't really want the motion blur to cover her >.<

oh w/e. It's 1:40am. I'll see ya again like in 16hours ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-02-27, 01:55   Link #91
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Hey Solace, you did see my question a couple of pages ago, right?
Old 2008-02-27, 02:00   Link #92
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Hey Solace, are Moe Maidens allowed?

That is, a girl with weapons in a fighting pose, with moe as the dominant theme.

If it's OK, I may join you guys on this edition.
Moe or Tsundere, long as it's there!
Terrible rhyme but I'm just passing the time!
Who cares about prose if she's got the pose!

Ok. I'm gonna stop before the poetry police get me. Or I hurt myself. Or both.

Old 2008-02-27, 02:06   Link #93
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

After a lot of feedback (tyvm everyone) and tweaking, I have the latest version version of my sig, with (I hope) text that isn't terrible. I have no eye for text whatsoever, and I'll be the first to admit so.

Here's the link to my entry post (no need to spam my images here), as I'm hoping to get some more feedback and criticism. Again, I appreciate everyone's criticism, as it has both helped me to improve my skills and my signature.

Speci's SOTM Entry Post

You can also see a slightly smaller version of my current sig in my signature, though the resolution is just a touch lower.
Old 2008-02-27, 02:07   Link #94
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

Ok. I'm gonna stop before the poetry police get me. Or I hurt myself. Or both.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 2008-02-27, 02:46   Link #95
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
Here's the version 2
Guys need some advice :3

please visit my own topic page link at my Sig~

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Old 2008-02-27, 04:01   Link #96
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Since we're all discussing images and technique here, I thought I'd ask a question. I don't see a thread dedicated to technique discussion (except for the more specific techniques mentioned in the index), so I hope this isn't out of place.

I often cut characters out of a scene for use in something else. I typically do this by using the lasso tool and then going to 800% to 1600% zoom for pixel accuracy (often going close but not quite all the way through to the material to be cut, so as to fade the outer edges rather than cut them out completely) and then follow up with some blurring on the cut edges. This doesn't work nicely on things made up of very few pixels, such as strands of hair. It's nearly impossible to cut those out as it looks out of place or it no longer resembles what it originally was. I frequently remove those strands entirely (nobody would notice) but I recently ran up across this issue when dealing with something that wasn't hair, and would be very noticable if removed.

What can you do to get around this? Do you have to rebuild it yourself, or is there some technique for dealing with this situation? (advice may be PM'd to me if you think it'd derail the thread, but otherwise I'd say reply here so that everyone can learn.) Thanks in advance ;P
Old 2008-02-27, 04:09   Link #97
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

The universal way to do that is by using pentool.

You can also use the quickmask, channel calculation (if there's a clear separation from the BG) , color range selection and lastly extract filter (<- this one is surprisingly good for sig render extraction)

There's a lot of way to skin a cat, no ?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-02-27, 04:18   Link #98
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Since we're all discussing images and technique here, I thought I'd ask a question. I don't see a thread dedicated to technique discussion (except for the more specific techniques mentioned in the index), so I hope this isn't out of place.

I often cut characters out of a scene for use in something else. I typically do this by using the lasso tool and then going to 800% to 1600% zoom for pixel accuracy (often going close but not quite all the way through to the material to be cut, so as to fade the outer edges rather than cut them out completely) and then follow up with some blurring on the cut edges. This doesn't work nicely on things made up of very few pixels, such as strands of hair. It's nearly impossible to cut those out as it looks out of place or it no longer resembles what it originally was. I frequently remove those strands entirely (nobody would notice) but I recently ran up across this issue when dealing with something that wasn't hair, and would be very noticable if removed.

What can you do to get around this? Do you have to rebuild it yourself, or is there some technique for dealing with this situation? (advice may be PM'd to me if you think it'd derail the thread, but otherwise I'd say reply here so that everyone can learn.) Thanks in advance ;P
Are you using the lasso tool group or just the lasso tool? If you mean just the lasso tool, you might want to experiment with the Polygonal Lasso tool and Magnetic Lasso tool instead. I'm not an expert on those either, having only experimented with them yesterday. I asked Sephi for help and he promptly pointed to his tutorial.

He won't help me extract a render. Uguu~ Ijiwaru ;_;
Old 2008-02-27, 04:48   Link #99
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post

Most of the time, I use the pen tool (or path tool since I use GIMP) and do connecting nodes and all that stuff. For little strands of hair, I turn to quick mask or layer mask (either works), choose a soft brush and erase the part around it. That works well enough on white background; however, when I show it on black background, there would still be little remnant around the little strand of hair. So what I sometime end up doing is erase that strand of hair and redraw it (which I'm quite horrible at).

Magnetic Lasso Tool may works well though; it looks pretty convenient after seeing Sephi's tutorial. Too bad the equivalent in GIMP is a bit buggy (or I just simply do not know how to use it--the tool just goes all over the place >_<).

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-02-27, 04:51   Link #100
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Are you using the lasso tool group or just the lasso tool? If you mean just the lasso tool, you might want to experiment with the Polygonal Lasso tool and Magnetic Lasso tool instead. I'm not an expert on those either, having only experimented with them yesterday. I asked Sephi for help and he promptly pointed to his tutorial.

He won't help me extract a render. Uguu~ Ijiwaru ;_;
now you make me look like a badguy even though your lazy and not willing to learn something. If it was something impossible for you i would of done it. But i know you can do it to. So show some effort As for strings of hair. I got a new method. But uhu, i have yet to finish a render with it. But it suppose to work well on strings of hair depending on the background

If you could post the picture in question and i can check if it's doable with my method.
And i can tell you that 99% of the renders with my latest logo on are all done with Pen tool. I don't use magnetic lasso unless it's for unimportant cuts that i use myself.

Tia also mentioned redraw it. That is also something i sometimes do with tips of hair, you could use it for strings of hair to when using a pentool. Just select the path around (will look highlighted like using lasso tool). Erase the old thing so you won't see white spots. And brush it with the color of the strand of hair. that way the color will stay inside the selection. Though the initial cut on the strand of hair has to be really small. And best to do it on a new layer so you can modify the strand of hair a bit more with feathering to make it look more like a while.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Closed Thread

Tags
sotm