AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-08, 23:17   Link #61
ChibiToon

Ugh... It doesn't ruin the series in any way, but the fact that they are keeping the first opening (with Kamina) during the Nia arc just annoys me a bit. As long as they change it for the timeskip episodes.... If they don't, then it just won't make sense with the last two arcs.

On a happier note... I'm still lovin' Viral's dub voice more and more! XD His episode tonight made me swoon. LOL XD (Especially loved his "YOU!" line to Gurren.... Sam kept the growl! Yay!)

EDIT: Also, if anyone finds out who is doing Adiane's voice, let me know! It sounds familiar....

CT
Old 2008-09-08, 23:33   Link #62
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Nia was perfect. I knew Starfire's VA would be perfect the moment I heard it.

Who better to play a sweet, sheltered princess learning the ways of humanity than someone who already played a sweet, alien princess learning the ways of humanity?
Old 2008-09-11, 15:34   Link #63
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Nia was perfect. I knew Starfire's VA would be perfect the moment I heard it.

Who better to play a sweet, sheltered princess learning the ways of humanity than someone who already played a sweet, alien princess learning the ways of humanity?
Except now I expcet to see her flying around, having Superman Levels of strength and flinging lightning bolts everywhere.
Old 2008-09-11, 15:43   Link #64
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san View Post
Except now I expcet to see her flying around, having Superman Levels of strength and flinging lightning bolts everywhere.

I want fanart of that
Old 2008-09-12, 01:42   Link #65
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Now see, I expect to see Nia carrying a sword, throwing Pow Hammers and healing people (same VA as Estelle in Tales of Vesperia for X360). But that's just me since I HATE Teen Titans.
Old 2008-09-15, 22:30   Link #66
Prolific

Bleh, Simon's comeback speech in episode 11(?) wasn't GAR at all. His Giga Drill Break(er) was weak too.
Old 2008-09-15, 22:37   Link #67
BlackShinobi07

It doesn't feel the same without Kamina around.
Old 2008-09-15, 23:01   Link #68
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiToon View Post
EDIT: Also, if anyone finds out who is doing Adiane's voice, let me know! It sounds familiar....

CT
Megan Hollingshead
Original Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny in Pokemon
Villetta in Code Geass
Rangiku in Bleach
Hilda in Eureka Seven
Saya in Tokko
Old 2008-09-16, 01:32   Link #69
skyman747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
Bleh, Simon's comeback speech in episode 11(?) wasn't GAR at all. His Giga Drill Break(er) was weak too.
I know. It was a great moment of GAR in the original, but I couldn't stop laughing during this It's bad enough that there are, what, 20 commercial breaks, but I am just hoping that they don't totally screw up Kamina's Spirit thing in episode 26. If that happens, I can't garuntee the safety of Bandai or whoever is dubbing this.
Old 2008-09-16, 12:04   Link #70
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well simon's english is the same voice of sasuke, suzaku, ben tennyson, superman, etc aka Yuri Lowenthal
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2008-09-16, 14:05   Link #71
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
I think that a lot of the really badass moments are what suffered. I didn't like Kamina's voice at all, either. Each delivery (that I caught) of "Who the hell do you think I am" was pretty damn weak, sounded more like he was reading it off of a card to a live audience of schoolkids.

I haven't heard Simon's comeback speech in English yet, but now I don't know if I want to. That was one of my favorite moments in the original. I was liking Lowenthal's portrayal so far... is it really that bad? ._.
Old 2008-09-16, 16:47   Link #72
ChibiToon

I didn't think the comeback speech was too bad. A little weaker than the Japanese version, but not too bad. :/

CT
Old 2008-09-18, 22:27   Link #73
solomon

Dude's and Dudeettes.

I recommend trying to approach the English Version on it's own (YEA IT"S REALLY DAMNED HARD)

It's especially important here cause super robot anime voicing is like it's own unique art in japan, it's impossible to expect the same kind of delivery in English.
Old 2008-09-19, 03:03   Link #74
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Dude's and Dudeettes.

I recommend trying to approach the English Version on it's own (YEA IT"S REALLY DAMNED HARD)

It's especially important here cause super robot anime voicing is like it's own unique art in japan, it's impossible to expect the same kind of delivery in English.
Too... difficult! Must... be... biased!
Old 2008-09-20, 01:05   Link #75
skyman747

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Dude's and Dudeettes.

It is hard, but without comparing, I would say they tried to squeeze in too much dialogue in Simon's comeback speech. That is probably biased, but that is what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
I haven't heard Simon's comeback speech in English yet, but now I don't know if I want to. That was one of my favorite moments in the original. I was liking Lowenthal's portrayal so far... is it really that bad? ._.
I too like his V.A, but the speech just didn't hook the way the original did.
Old 2008-09-21, 01:20   Link #76
ChibiToon

OK.... somebody else read this and help me find an answer: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...nta/bandai-ent

So...............does this mean that they are going to stop showing the dubbed GL after this weekend? Or am reading it wrong? (I don't want to have to pay $2 for every new GL dubbed episode they put on iTunes.)

EDIT: Nevermind.... People over on the ANN board are saying it probably was nothing but a flub. That instead of GL, the speaker meant Now and Then, Here and There.

CT

Last edited by ChibiToon; 2008-09-21 at 13:05.
Old 2008-09-28, 22:34   Link #77
rile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiToon View Post
Ugh... It doesn't ruin the series in any way, but the fact that they are keeping the first opening (with Kamina) during the Nia arc just annoys me a bit. As long as they change it for the timeskip episodes.... If they don't, then it just won't make sense with the last two arcs.

On a happier note... I'm still lovin' Viral's dub voice more and more! XD His episode tonight made me swoon. LOL XD (Especially loved his "YOU!" line to Gurren.... Sam kept the growl! Yay!)

CT

Yea it sorta annoys me to because he's dead and all...it makes me miss him...
Old 2008-10-05, 11:44   Link #78
solomon

After watching the first ep dub; heres what I have to say

Okay Kyle Herbert ISN"T the same as Katsuyuki Konishi's Kamina. I think they could have gotten a deeper sounding male.

Besides that, I actually thought the dub was great. The guy playing Simon was a great match for his original seiyuu in both casting and acting, same for Yoko. Kamina once you accept his voice is fairly good, but there is room to grow. Really because Gurren Lagann is so cartoony, the over the top (but not TOO much) voice acting works excellently, it's perfectly entertaining on it's own, which to me is the hallmark of a god dub.
Old 2008-10-05, 11:55   Link #79
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman747 View Post
It is hard, but without comparing, I would say they tried to squeeze in too much dialogue in Simon's comeback speech. That is probably biased, but that is what I was thinking.

I too like his V.A, but the speech just didn't hook the way the original did.

Now that's not biased, that's the problem with dubs. Because they are so worried about matching lip flaps they rush whole sentenses, they do it fairly well these days but it's still a low level "speed racer" effect ya know?
Old 2008-10-06, 01:12   Link #80
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

The whole "see-mon" thing kills it dead for me.
Closed Thread