AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 27 26.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 37.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 22.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-28, 22:42   Link #61
Chocolate Pocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The Ui/Yui intro also failed because the sub translator gave it away right off the bat by injecting a pronoun ("she") where there was none in the dialog. The actually line was a typical japanese implied-noun sentence fragment. A subtitle of "Okay, ... got change of clothes." instead of "okay, now she has a change of clothes." would have kept the joke intact.

Time to fire up Aegisub and tweak a bit...

In general, I haven't been annoyed at the translation this season though, just mild "eh?" moments when I see a subtitle that doesn't match what I'm hearing and shifts the intent to collide in my head. For example... Mio does not say "Jesus Christ!" at 14:27 (though it certainly reflects her exasperation). We're in Japan, people don't call out to gods they don't worship (or use much anglo-saxon profanity at all) so it jarred me to read it. I understand the dilemma of the translator though, because "Oy vey!" is probably a perfect fit but one some Westerners might not understand. The longer "You give me a headache!" is, of course, too long.
That whole "Jesus Christ" threw me off as well. I think it would've been better if they had her say something like "My Word!" Or something. Cuz it isn't that long, but it also doesn't bring in the religion stuff that people in Japan don't really say.
Old 2010-04-28, 23:37   Link #62
BarbecueSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by netvope View Post
It was a fun episode

Perhaps this scene wasn't catching attention...

I liked how their handwriting matches their personality

Can somebody translate it? I don't understand what Yui and Mugi say.
TOP:
Ritsu - Budokan

RIGHT
Yui - full stomach for the rest of her life

CENTER
Mio - pass the entrance exam for her chosen school

LEFT
Mugi - Get accepted to the school of her choice

As expected for an ojou-sama, Mugi has the best penmanship.
Old 2010-04-29, 00:31   Link #63
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

But Yui's has a singing guitar. This is automatic win.
Old 2010-04-29, 00:36   Link #64
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by FENR1Sdesu View Post
I expected them to actually show Ritsu in the bangs joke, but they didn't :/

Spoiler:
aw man, they didn't even include Ritsu with her bangs down, the cutest part in the ep
maybe its because people might mistook Ritsu for Yui (& Ui) due to having similar hair styles, despite having different voices
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2010-04-29, 01:05   Link #65
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
That was pretty hilarious somehow. I enjoyed it very much. 8/10
Old 2010-04-29, 01:11   Link #66
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I definitely enjoyed the episode, but comedy wise I think episode 2, and 3 did a better job, so I gave 7/10 this time.

Also I got fooled by start I thought it was Yui, not Ui xD.
MAL
Old 2010-04-29, 02:32   Link #67
rockmanxpr

The getting lost scene made me think of the classic scene from Spinal Tap

Old 2010-04-29, 10:50   Link #68
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Mugi made passes at Mio in a public bath! How indece.....never mind.

And Ritsu hugged a scared Mio! Is that a thumbs-up for a semeuke relationship between the two girls?

But this episode is kinda fun and cute. Especially with Mio continuously laughing at Ritsu's random words and intonations.

Small note : There has been a research back in the 1980s that girls are better at recognising and remembering landmarks, while horrible in directions. Vice versa for the boys.

Another small note :
It seems that Mio responds rather positively to Ritsu's silliness. They'd make a cute couple in marriage.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:11   Link #69
itzglez
♫♫♪

^
ah! I agree with Ritsu and Mio scene hugging each other XD but never thought of anything in the first place since it made me missed my bestfriend.

Mugi reminds me of Shizuru-sama from My-HiME. I missed her, ~enough of the yuri, errmm...~

lol
Old 2010-04-29, 11:12   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Mugi made passes at Mio in a public bath! How indece.....never mind.
Watching Mugi gain confidence with her friends and do things that the "princess" can't do at home has been one of the more fun parts of the series. I suspect she'll become a fearsome but revered overlord when she takes over whatever it is her family does (and I have no doubt she'll take it over, girl or not o.O after reading the guitar shop sequences with Yui - the anime didn't quite project the "Mugi Stare of Doom").

Quote:
And Ritsu hugged a scared Mio! Is that a thumbs-up for a semeuke relationship between the two girls?
Mio does all the asserting and superego conscience work.. but when the chips are down Ritsu is protective of the frightened little inner child of Mio.

Quote:
Small note : There has been a research back in the 1980s that girls are better at recognising and remembering landmarks, while horrible in directions. Vice versa for the boys.
I keep on ongoing mental 3-d terrain map in my head 24/7, there are some landmarks but a lot of it is simply inertial and a sense of compass. This was a critical tool for hunting back in the Ice Age.
My wife routinely turns the wrong way out of stores in the mall and always thinks I'm going the wrong way or has a really skewed idea of how the city is laid out. But she knows what is near each landmark and goes from landmark to landmark.... probably a really good skill for roots&berry gathering.
Together, we argue our way across the landscape.
Quote:
Another small note : It seems that Mio responds rather positively to Ritsu's silliness. They'd make a cute couple in marriage.
It would be interesting to see an anime try to take this sort of relationship ("best girl friend") and see how it evolves when boys actually enter the picture in or after college.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:26   Link #71
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzglez View Post
^
ah! I agree with Ritsu and Mio scene hugging each other XD but never thought of anything in the first place since it made me missed my bestfriend.

Mugi reminds me of Shizuru-sama from My-HiME. I missed her, ~enough of the yuri, errmm...~

lol
I also though about Shizuru when I saw Mugi for the first time... but they still have quiet a lot of differences^^
Old 2010-04-29, 11:37   Link #72
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Watching Mugi gain confidence with her friends and do things that the "princess" can't do at home has been one of the more fun parts of the series. I suspect she'll become a fearsome but revered overlord when she takes over whatever it is her family does (and I have no doubt she'll take it over, girl or not o.O after reading the guitar shop sequences with Yui - the anime didn't quite project the "Mugi Stare of Doom").
I won't be surprised if she hires the rest of her band as her personal maids and fires all her current personal staff.

If Mugi is the queen of her own court, then Ritsu is her butler, Yui is her jester, Azusa is her pet and Mio......is her slave.

Quote:
Mio does all the asserting and superego conscience work.. but when the chips are down Ritsu is protective of the frightened little inner child of Mio.
I wonder if we put them both in a tight situation in different places, like a dilapidated and vacated prison in the middle of the night.

Quote:
I keep on ongoing mental 3-d terrain map in my head 24/7, there are some landmarks but a lot of it is simply inertial and a sense of compass. This was a critical tool for hunting back in the Ice Age.
My wife routinely turns the wrong way out of stores in the mall and always thinks I'm going the wrong way or has a really skewed idea of how the city is laid out. But she knows what is near each landmark and goes from landmark to landmark.... probably a really good skill for roots&berry gathering.
I always get lost looking for landmarks on the map, which I frequently do since I am lazy to constantly keep an eye on the map in an unknown place. But when it comes to directions, it is always easier to retrace my steps to the nearest train station.

The research conducted (I can't remember the title of the paper nor the journal), also pointed out that boys are good at playing with their visual imagination, while girls are good at finishing up the product of the imagination due to their brains and hands wired to put together sensitive details.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see an anime try to take this sort of relationship ("best girl friend") and see how it evolves when boys actually enter the picture in or after college.
Kakifly already did a test. Mio rejected the idea totally. She wanted Ritsu all to herself.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:47   Link #73
itzglez
♫♫♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I also though about Shizuru when I saw Mugi for the first time... but they still have quiet a lot of differences^^
well, they're both mysterious plus you have to love how they can manipulate people. hoping we'll get to see more Mugi even at least with the manga

Quote:
Kakifly already did a test. Mio rejected the idea totally. She wanted Ritsu all to herself.
HELL YEAH! tee hee!
Old 2010-04-29, 12:03   Link #74
TakuanInc.
loves Marisa Kirisame.

Send a message via MSN to TakuanInc. Send a message via Yahoo to TakuanInc.
Quote:
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
I always get lost looking for landmarks on the map, which I frequently do since I am lazy to constantly keep an eye on the map in an unknown place. But when it comes to directions, it is always easier to retrace my steps to the nearest train station.

The research conducted (I can't remember the title of the paper nor the journal), also pointed out that boys are good at playing with their visual imagination, while girls are good at finishing up the product of the imagination due to their brains and hands wired to put together sensitive details.
O_O

...does that make me a female with male inner workings? XD

Anyway, I've been thinking...ever since that anime-original-love-letter-to-Ritsu episode, KyoAni has been making headband-less Ritsu seem like an exclusive or rare occurrence in the anime. ...gah, I think I'm still bitter about that bangs joke not animated...>_>

Spoiler for I mean, she looks good like this...:

Quote:
I sooo wish that was the case. XDDD That chapter (before the release) made me want to dump my Mitsu folder (lame, I know >_>)...XD
Old 2010-04-29, 12:17   Link #75
jenthehen

Reminded me of every sleepover I had as a kid ... the giggle are contagious!!
Old 2010-04-29, 14:00   Link #76
Falx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Pocky View Post
That whole "Jesus Christ" threw me off as well. I think it would've been better if they had her say something like "My Word!" Or something. Cuz it isn't that long, but it also doesn't bring in the religion stuff that people in Japan don't really say.
I used, "Honestly!" It's a bit British English but sounds better, IMO.

Depending on the length of the sentence, "For crying out loud!" works as well.
Old 2010-04-29, 14:53   Link #77
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzglez View Post
well, they're both mysterious plus you have to love how they can manipulate people. hoping we'll get to see more Mugi even at least with the manga
I'm waiting for the concert where Mugi will sing
Old 2010-04-29, 15:21   Link #78
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Sure, obligatory field trip etc. etc. Still managed to give me a few very good laughs. For the longest time I didn't want to episode to end.

Watching it while drunk made it even better, I believe. 9/10.
Old 2010-04-29, 18:05   Link #79
wingman32x

Another great episode. Every member of the light music club was funny. I liked how Mio softened up at the end. Yui and Ritsu were their usual selves. I love how hyperactive they are together. Mugi really showed her fun side, too. Funniest part of the episode was when Yui called Azu-nyan when they were lost instead of the teacher lol. Overall, a really funny episode.

9/10.
Old 2010-04-29, 22:01   Link #80
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Something over the top and snark-filled to say . . . hmm . . .

Uhh . . .

I got nothing. It was a really good episode, okay?

9 Mio self-disciplines being worn down by her best friends out of 10.