AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-21, 03:29   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 640 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

And so.... it is here. The next chapter spoilers have arrived. And the amazing thing about this spoiler that the provider died to obtain them (lol not really, but he did brave a typhoon to get them, so let's be extra thankful anyway, eh?). Of course, credit goes to aohige for translation:

-Chapter title is "Straight above Fishman Island". The ministory features post-skip Vivi, who is now 18 years old, and is seen with Carue and Matsuge/Eyelash (that perverted camel).

-At the plaza, the clash between the Straw-Hats and Hody's crew rages on as Nami wipes out a bunch of enemies with lightning. However, the officer Ikaros Much is angered by the thunder and moves to attack the navigator with his spears. Furthermore, Zeo backs up his partner by turning invisible and restraining Nami to prevent her from escaping! But as fate would have it, the water-absorbing spears are intercepted by Brooke, and it turns out to be ineffective against him (heh ). Meanwhile, the Franky Shogun is itching for a fight and attacks Ikaros, setting up a match between them. At around the same time, Brooke unknowingly steps on Zeo, and now is forced to take on the stealthy wobbegong himself......

-At another part of the plaza, both Usopp and Chopper are pursued by Dosun, but the reindeer is able to sense the hammerhead's presence with his superior sense of smell. He then blasts the officer away with a new move, "Horn Cannon 11". He then covers up the hole he dug while Usopp uses another Green Star move against Daruma and some other enemy pirates. So now we have reindeer vs. hammerhead, and sniper vs. cookiecutter.....

-Zoro is still clashing with Hyouzou, defending against his assault. Outside the island, Shirahoshi is trying to lead the Noah away from the island, but the injured Van der Decken, who is still alive, slips and hits his head, knocking him out. The ancient ark then begins to descend towards the underwater paradise.......

Uh.... wow, I like how almost NONE of the matchups we predicted turned out to come true. So now we have Brooke taking on Zeo (I soooo wanted Usopp to be his opponent, but I'm at least glad that the soul king gets his own boss battle for once ), Chopper vs. Dosun (no revenge against the candy hater?), and Usopp vs. Daruma (well, at least he gets a boss fight....). I had also figured that Decken survived Hody's betrayal, though it looks like he'll still be out of commission for some time....

Oh, and seeing Vivi again is nice and all, but c'mon Oda..... bring us Gedatsu already!

Lastly, one more thing to note:

OP will be taking a break next week, so don't expect to see a new chapter thread until around October 5th. Once again: There is no OP chapter next week.
Old 2011-09-21, 03:56   Link #2
ronin myael
lost ronin

no chapter next week? damn! that's gonna be hard considering the current arc is about to go on full throttle.
Old 2011-09-21, 07:32   Link #3
Homura7

These matches... I thought Chopper would fight Daruma because of the sweet hatred and the fact they are small, and thought Franky would eventually fight Dosun for obvious reasons too, but...

Eiichiro Oda = Master of the unpredictable

There's nothing more satisfying than being wrong positively
Old 2011-09-21, 09:33   Link #4
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Oh look...another break. Oda's trying to beat the record for most breaks in Jump this year again (Grand Hiatus Master Togashi doesn't count anymore)
Kinda gotten used to them actually =.=
Old 2011-09-21, 10:35   Link #5
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Oh look...another break. Oda's trying to beat the record for most breaks in Jump this year again (Grand Hiatus Master Togashi doesn't count anymore)

Honestly, Oda's combined breaks from these past few years still pale in comparison to Togashi's annual DQ Exodus, so I have no issue with them. In fact, I think his periods of rest are well-deserved since he still pumps out fun chapters on a regular basis otherwise.

Actually, that reminds me: With DQ10 on the way, who knows how long Togashi's next sabbatical will be.....?

Now, to go back on topic: I find it interesting that Decken's power was nullified after being KO'ed. That means killing him isn't necessary to stop his power, after all. But now what is there to stop Noah from colliding with the island's bubble....?

As far as the altered matchups go, I'm pretty much looking forward to Brooke and Usopp's fights the most. I've been saying all along that the Zeo fight was my top highly-anticipated match, and frankly, I'm just glad that Usopp's getting a (solo) fight at all. I guess their opponents will eventually OD on drugs too since we saw it happen with Hyouzou last chapter. Too bad Nami and Robin seem to be stuck on fodder control duty, though. That is, unless a certain swamp man finally makes his long-overdue reappearance.....
Old 2011-09-21, 10:46   Link #6
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Honestly, Oda's combined breaks from these past few years still pale in comparison to Togashi's annual DQ Exodus, so I have no issue with them. In fact, I think his periods of rest are well-deserved since he still pumps out fun chapters on a regular basis otherwise.

Actually, that reminds me: With DQ10 on the way, who knows how long Togashi's next sabbatical will be.....?

Now, to go back on topic: I find it interesting that Decken's power was nullified after being KO'ed. That means killing him isn't necessary to stop his power, after all. But now what is there to stop Noah from colliding with the island's bubble....?

As far as the altered matchups go, I'm pretty much looking forward to Brooke and Usopp's fights the most. I've been saying all along that the Zeo fight was my top highly-anticipated match, and frankly, I'm just glad that Usopp's getting a (solo) fight at all. I guess their opponents will eventually OD on drugs too since we saw it happen with Hyouzou last chapter. Too bad Nami and Robin seem to be stuck on fodder control duty, though. That is, unless a certain swamp man finally makes his long-overdue reappearance.....
Nami and Robin teaming up to take on a logia user? AND POSSIBLY WINNING?

I am okay with that.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:01   Link #7
marvelB

^Why not? I mean, with the monster trio busy (Luffy vs. doped-up punching bag, Zoro vs. doped-up drunktopus, Sanji/Jinbei tag team vs. doped-up giant acorn man), somebody's gotta take care of the psychotic mermaid-kidnapping mudman, right?
Old 2011-09-21, 11:41   Link #8
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post

Oda's break are still within norm, not counting the double-issue break that everyone has, he got what 3, maybe 4?

Granted, it's higher that his usual # of breaks, but before 2010, he was always one of mangaka that took the least number of break (or research period if you will)

I just hope this one is not health related and that his health is OK, cause there's some news flying around during past 2 years that some of these brakes were health related.
Old 2011-09-21, 12:11   Link #9
Homura7

^Oda takes more breaks because he writes the plot of what's to come in One Piece. Have you ever asked yourselves why Kishimoto or Kubo hardly take a break during their work? One of the main reasons why their works suck.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:16   Link #10
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

^ It could also be a simple mistake on Oda's behalf...it happens (he's still human I think)
Actually his eye kinda reminds me of Mihawk...
And it's normal for KOed characters to foam at the mouth without any haki being at fault.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:26   Link #11
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Glad to Madam Shirley up again in this chapter, I hope she will become a member of Luffy crew, her unclear predictions could be interesting (still can't believe she related to Arlong).

I hope it wasn't Oda mistake to show us on panel that Zoro can use his other eye still, I'm sure he just shut it close to restrict himself or maybe there something special about it (sharingan ROFL).

The last panel, it was definitely Haki, Luffy was saying something about strength, before Decker was KO.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:29   Link #12
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Hm, so Decken is still alive then eh? Though what a way to get knocked out.

I kind of expected the ship to start falling. Every climax needs to go wrong for the protagonists at least once after all.~

Very much enjoy seeing all the new abilities the Strawhats are presenting us, and it's certainly true a lot of those match-ups are quite unpredictable.

I think some of Oda's breaks are work related, wasn't the last one for data-gathering or something? Well, I'd imagine he's an incredibly busy fellow with his manga topping the charts after all.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:31   Link #13
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
The last panel, it was definitely Haki, Luffy was saying something about strength, before Decker was KO.
OR he was losing his strength because he had his arm underwater...that tends to happen to DF users.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:43   Link #14
Homura7

No speculation guys, it's obvious Decken knocked out due to loss of blood, which made him wobble and hit his head with something.
Old 2011-09-21, 14:07   Link #15
Homura7

^When you lose a lot of blood you can't stand firm and walk properly and eventually end up passing out.
Old 2011-09-21, 14:14   Link #16
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It looked like his arm just slipped to me, which makes it even more ridiculous.

Way to doom an entire island on account of clumsiness Decken.
Old 2011-09-21, 14:28   Link #17
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
It looked like his arm just slipped to me, which makes it even more ridiculous.

Way to doom an entire island on account of clumsiness Decken.
Nah, this isn't the most ridiculous thing that has happened in One Piece, remember back then how Thriller Bark left the fog layer
Old 2011-09-21, 14:31   Link #18
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
This is just wonderful. Noah is falling down towards Fishmen Island, and I have no Idea what's going to happen next. I can't wait for next week.
Old 2011-09-21, 14:53   Link #19
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
I can't wait for next week.
But there's no OP next week D:
Old 2011-09-21, 14:55   Link #20
Rainbowman

Ministory: Featured Vivi, Karue, and Eyelashes in it. Probably getting ready for Reverie as well.

Main Story: I'm glad Nami is all right, even though she was about to be attacked by Ikaros Much. Usually my blood runs cold then boils with rage when someone has an unfair advantage over Nami mostly because they are sadistic (Bartholomew Kuma was never known to be sadistic but he still had an unfair advantage). Ikaros Much is a different matter for his reason for attacking Nami is connected to his trauma. Similar thing with Kumadori of CP9 when he attacked Nami for insulting him by calling him an octopus when he actually resembles a lion.

Matchups so far:

Luffy vs. Hody
Zoro vs. Hyozu
Sanji and Jinbe vs. Wadatsumi
Chopper vs. Dosun
Franky vs. Ikaros Much
Brook vs. Zeo

Can't believe Decken is still alive, luckily he's still incapacitated. As for Caribou, he may as well pulled off a Bluto Blutarski of Animal House in whisking those mermaids away.
Closed Thread