AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2005-12-22, 05:26   Link #1
wao
OK.

Paprika - movie by Satoshi Kon, adapted from novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui

Anyone really looking forward to this? I have so far enjoyed Satoshi Kon's films very very much, and while I"m too dead tired to make out the plot and story by looking it up or looking at this Newtype scan by a person called Manuloz, I am expecting this to be a pretty good show. Some might say that Satoshi Kon is better with his own original stories, but I'm not qualified to comment really...

The music and character designs are done by the same people who did that for Kon's Paranoia Agent.

edit: and I did use the search button!
Old 2005-12-24, 03:52   Link #2
Diedrupo

i've loved every Satoshi Kon movie and his anime series, Paranoia Agent. This guy is pretty much the greatest Japanese anime director who ever lived. So yeah i'm looking forward to this.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 08:15   Link #3
Rikichi

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ERaLC28EaQo&search=paprika
Old 2006-07-24, 11:31   Link #4
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
I loved every Kon's movies, I just watched "tokikake" from the tsutsui's novel, which I enjoyed very much, so there's no way I wouldn't be watching this film.
Plus, Madhouse happens to be the studio that created "tokikake" too, so this all sounds very very good.
And I don't agree with wao on the fact Kon is less good at adaptations. Perfect Blue is still one of the best animated movie of the 90's, despite some technical fails.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 23:20   Link #5
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

This movie is already licensed by Sony. It has a R1 release date of October 31st.

Isn't that alittle too fast?
Old 2006-07-26, 13:32   Link #6
kujoe
from head to heel

Man, Satoshi Kon... DEFINITELY looking forward to this.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 13:55   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
This movie is already licensed by Sony. It has a R1 release date of October 31st.

Isn't that alittle too fast?
Mmm, Sony... licensed film from Japan... fast release... Where did I hear this before?

Oh, right, Advent Children. Sony promised that pretty fast too, hell, they had a release date planned... Only to delay it, and delay it, and delay it...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 02:54   Link #8
wao
OK.

I really really hope that won't happen with Paprika; seeing that Advent Children was more of a potential moneymaker I'm wondering though... unless AC was held up due to licensing issues or pricing arguments or something (I think it's safe to assume Paprika would be less concerned with such things)
Old 2006-07-30, 12:29   Link #9
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Apparently, we have to wait until 2007 for this.
Old 2006-09-03, 21:48   Link #10
chucky
Always impatient

definitely someone to look upon.... but the jump-the-gun joke is a bit too cruel :-(
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 23:16   Link #11
wao
OK.

Well it must've been finished because it's airing at the Venice Film Festival thingy... It should be airing in Japanese theatres in the not too distant future. Hopefully.
Old 2006-09-24, 10:17   Link #12
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

ANN posted a link to 3 minutes of Paprika with English subtitles. You can download it here (6mb). Looks deliciously perverse

Here's the Youtube link (when it works).
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 04:25   Link #13
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Just found teh thread.

I watched Paprika at a film festival in Greece one month ago, and I pretty much enjoyed it. I don't think it was as special as other shows by Satoshi Kon were, it was something more 'light' I guess.... It seemed rather humorous to me and even the 'sad' moments were humorous as well. It was like a mix of crazy action (FLCL style), an idea very similar to Serial Experiments Lain and some very pretentious philosophy.

The movie was very well-made, with pretty good animation (well, it's a movie), not anything really special though. The direction was pretty solid even though there these confusing scenes every Satoshi Kon film has... Yes, the 'dream-reality confusion' thing is there as well... The character designs were... the usual, the music was awesome though.

I guess it follows a similar tone with Tokyo Godfathers, even though I haven't watched it. It's 'lighter' in comparison with other Satoshi Kon's works like Paranoia Agent or Perfect Blue.

Last edited by Quajafrie; 2007-01-03 at 03:45.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 11:31   Link #14
Rahan

Seen it yesterday. (and I wil probably go see it again this week)

I am bit disappointed. I was expecting more from Satoshi Kon who is my favorite director.

It's a wonder that this movie is an adaption of a novel NOT written by Satoshi Kon, as the universe of this movie is truly his.

This movie is like a crossover between Millenium Actress and Total Recall. It has not the same scent of novelty as Millenium Actress had, and the dream/reality plot is a bit cliché now. And if Hirasawa's music is a little more acceptable than usual (I HATE THAT GUY, but the main theme is ok), it's also very repetitive and tiring.

Still, the animation is solid. The plot is decent, and there are those amazing chasing scenes from different realities that made Millenium Actress that great.

Probably the best animated movie of the year, but it's below Kon's average. If you have not seen Millenium Actress, you'll probably find it absolutely awesome.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 20:48   Link #15
aorta

http://www.teslakite.com/freemp3s/e/paprika/

You can download the theme here. There's also an outtake that sounds pretty cool.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 08:10   Link #16
Xeiros

Man I simply cannot wait to see this movie!
Old 2007-04-20, 18:19   Link #17
issei

i noticed a trailer for this a while back on the apple trailers site, and since then, have been looking forward to it (i particularly enjoyed the brief monkey king sequence). unfortunately, i missed it when it showed at the santa barbara international film festival, but it'll be opening in new york on may 25th and los angeles on june 1st. if it does well, we may see it in other cities.

the japanese dvd release date is may 23rd.
Old 2007-04-21, 00:24   Link #18
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

There's a screener torrent floating around so I finally got a chance to see this. Overall it was pretty good but it's a bit lighter than I expected considering Satoshi Kun's previous stuff.

One thing that annoyed me was the ending.

Spoiler for annoying ending:
Old 2007-05-13, 07:59   Link #19
neoko

Yeh i just saw the trailer on apple too, definitely looking forward to the DVD release.
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 00:59   Link #20

I had the privilege of seeing Paprika at the New York Film Festival back in October. After watching it I absolutely fell in love with its surrealistic visual style. It was highly influential as a artist and every time I see a new movie from Satoshi Kon I start to idolize him more and more.

I am looking forward to seeing it again once it comes out in local theaters(fingers crossed). I managed to get my hands on the soundtrack as well. The music is definitely worth having as it's own entity, separate from movie.
100587 is offline   Reply With Quote