AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 27 26.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 37.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 22.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-07, 02:26   Link #101
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizLestrad View Post
I seem to have missed something along the way, but could anyone explain to me the ongoing joke between the girls involving "skull" and "lycopene"?
Just some random words, nothing really deep going on therefrom what I understand.

It's similar to real life when you have a sleepover. You turn off the lights, ready to go to sleep, then suddenly someone says a random word that doesn't seem to hold any connection to anything. I'm pretty sure that's guaranteed to produce a giggling fit.
Old 2010-05-07, 13:26   Link #102
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
"Skull" cracked me up the first time I heard it. It's so true, right down to the one person in the room who is actually trying to sleep (Mio, in their case). Loved that it was brought up again in the next episode.
Old 2010-05-14, 21:16   Link #103
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Finally watched it.....Love the background scenes in this one. As well as Yui and Ricchan rubbing the cow statue...
Old 2010-05-16, 01:31   Link #104
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwards View Post
"Skull" cracked me up the first time I heard it. It's so true, right down to the one person in the room who is actually trying to sleep (Mio, in their case). Loved that it was brought up again in the next episode.
Whut?

So from my understanding, you say a random word and you can laugh?

Right...to test our that theory next time I'll try saying the following words in sleepover
NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!
DECAPITATION!
GUTS HANGING OUT!
ROCKS DROPPING ON BRAIN!
CRUCIFIXION!
IMPALING!
BAYONET IN EYE!!
CASTRATION!
SYPHILLIS!

IMHO, I'd prefer it if they replaced some jokes like the scared mio ones with the original ones in manga.

Yeah I found the 'skull' joke horrible. In fact I found it so horrible and incomprehensible, I'd rather watch this again.
Old 2010-05-16, 03:35   Link #105
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

You wanna scare the living hell outta Mio with that? You're thinking too seriously, NinjaYali.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-16, 22:58   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Whut?
Hmmm, maybe you had to have been on a scout campout, summer camp, sleepover, whatever - for this to have made sense or fired up any nostalgia. Some silly out-of-the-blue word (like "smock" or "aardvark") would set off peals of laughter after "lights out". Human teens and kids are just weird that way. But the word has to *sound* silly to the native language speaker (lycopene, skull to japanese), like "turpitude".

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-05-17 at 11:53.
Old 2010-05-17, 01:15   Link #107
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Basically any word that can sound funny in how it is pronounced results in giggling late at night when one is tired and young. While "skull" in English might not sound funny, the Japanese word sounded like it could be said in a silly way (also note the later Episode 5 lack of reaction form Ui and Azusa on seeing the worked typed out, so it might only really work when spoken...though Yui being Yui might not get that while giggling).
Old 2010-05-17, 18:44   Link #108
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post

Right...to test our that theory next time I'll try saying the following words in sleepover
NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!
DECAPITATION!
GUTS HANGING OUT!
ROCKS DROPPING ON BRAIN!
CRUCIFIXION!
IMPALING!
BAYONET IN EYE!!
CASTRATION!
SYPHILLIS!
Was I the only one who lol'ed after reading that?
Old 2010-05-18, 00:30   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I might have lol'd but my "wow, I guess that sort of thing isn't universal" alarm went off instead.
Old 2010-05-18, 07:40   Link #110
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
You wanna scare the living hell outta Mio with that? You're thinking too seriously, NinjaYali.
Just thought of a random bunch of scenes they've depicted on tv. And I guess due to my pessimistic mood, I thought of the most violent ones.

Quote:
As mention above, the rocks dropping on brain is a actual tv scene. Or should it be rocks being thrown into the brains of dead guy who has had the top of his skull blown off while another guy is trying to eat tuna?

So...anyone up for guessing what in the seven hells I've been watching?

Quote:
I might have lol'd but my "wow, I guess that sort of thing isn't universal" alarm went off instead.
Well, I guess K-On is like a therapy. Light hearted comedy to balance out all the OTHER stuff I've watched.

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe you had to have been on a scout campout, summer camp, sleepover, whatever - for this to have made sense or fired up any nostalgia. Some silly out-of-the-blue word (like "smock" or "aardvark") would set off peals of laughter after "lights out".
My camp experience was simple. I tried to go to sleep and the other 3 blokes was talking about...I dunno soccer or how much of a douche the teacher was for making us go to sleep that early. I wanted them to STFU.

As for the lights out thing, we didn't yell out some stupid words, that would have got us into deep shite but probably sat down and played a nice, quiet game of poker.

Quote:
Theory proven then?

I guess, I didn't have to bring out the big guns of 'WELL AIMED EXPLOSION LEADS TO 20 GUYS BURNING ON BOAT', 'COMMUNICATING WHILE LOSING BLOOD FROM CHEST' or the simple 'GUY PICKING UP HIS BLOODY ARM'

Traffaut is right
Old 2010-05-18, 14:01   Link #111
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
Just to present an opposing viewpoint, the "skull" gag (and its reprisal in the next episode) is arguably my favourite in the entire series so far. Not only did it ring true of my own get-togethers with friends, but it also fondly reminded me of classic kid's stories, like Enid Blyton's St. Clare's series. If you didn't find it funny, you just haven't had those kinds of experiences.
Old 2010-05-21, 08:00   Link #112
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I thought the "skull" joke was a reference to Ritsu's forehead.

Don't know where "lycopene" came from? Perhaps Aki Toyosaki just ad-libbed it, like Tsukasa Hiiragi's seiyuu ad-libbed "barusamikosu" in Lucky Star?
Old 2010-05-21, 11:35   Link #113
kitten320

Where is the connection between skull and her forehead? 0_o
Old 2010-05-21, 12:27   Link #114
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
I thought the "skull" joke was a reference to Ritsu's forehead.

Don't know where "lycopene" came from? Perhaps Aki Toyosaki just ad-libbed it, like Tsukasa Hiiragi's seiyuu ad-libbed "barusamikosu" in Lucky Star?
Lycopene is a food pigment, often seen in red vegetables and fruit (such as tomatoes and red carrots). Doesn't really have anything to do with anything, though.