AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-16, 05:01   Link #3661
Yunbo

I don't get what is the big deal in who wrote the screen play and who directed because in the end the movies and anime are over. Whats done is done. :/ They wanted to end the movies and anime like they did and there is nothing we can do about it.
Old 2012-01-16, 05:16   Link #3662
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunbo View Post
I don't get what is the big deal in who wrote the screen play and who directed because in the end the movies and anime are over. Whats done is done. :/ They wanted to end the movies and anime like they did and there is nothing we can do about it.
Some people cannot accept what was the ultimate outcome and just have to find ways to delegitimize the story. Be it via finding that one of the writers isn't to their liking or by basically rewriting the ending to be more aligned to what they made up in their own minds long ago.

----

On another note, Aquarion EVOL's third episode was fantastic. The OP captures that certain Macross Frontier je-ne-sais-quois perfectly. The show itself is laugh-out funny and highly energetic. I recommend to everyone who was a fan of MF to check it out. No character as good as Sheryl, sadly. But the male lead is not the typical anime wussy male protagonist, but rather quite charming.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2012-01-16 at 05:39.
Old 2012-01-28, 13:02   Link #3663
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

For those who wish to dress up like "Sheryl as a Boy"...now you can! For only about $400 US!

http://www.macross30.com/news/
Old 2012-01-28, 13:49   Link #3664
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Tak......?

Old 2012-01-28, 15:31   Link #3665
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Tak......?
Why bother buying the cheap replica, I have an entire wardrobe of military uniforms, camouflage and other accessories to pump it up to eleven and beyond

For example, we can start with a white Imperial Prussian uniform...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-01-28, 17:53   Link #3666
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Is it wrong of me to want to see this?

Old 2012-01-28, 22:35   Link #3667
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Finally watched this. It was awesome. The visuals, the soundtrack, the singing... all of it.

I really liked the prison scene. Love Bomber was great. Michael and Klan were awesome like that. Good stuff. I was ready to cheer that Luca died, but he wasn't that bad in the movies. But he lived. And then Sheryl. I was ready to get my Darth Vader Noo out but there was no way they'd kill her and my suspicion with Ai-kun turned out to be right anyway.

I knew Sheryl would win... I mean, how could she not since Sheryl >> Rank.

What a bittersweet ending though. Oh man... I guess it was the fairest way to end it since Ranka would have been crushed (like Minmay who went bananas lol). Still, I wish we had something after the credits.

EDIT: And little Sheryl was HHNNGGGHHH.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2012-01-28 at 23:55.
Old 2012-01-29, 02:36   Link #3668
magnuskn

Besides us knowing that Alto will return one day, thanks to Kawamori, Ranka pretty much already knew in the movie that it wouldn't work out, IMO. And when she was rejected at her confession, she took it surprisingly well.
Old 2012-01-29, 04:47   Link #3669
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Besides us knowing that Alto will return one day, thanks to Kawamori
Well, Kawamori didn't say it directly (and most likely he will never do it) but it's hinted, at least that's something, right?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
What a bittersweet ending though. Oh man... I guess it was the fairest way to end it since Ranka would have been crushed (like Minmay who went bananas lol). Still, I wish we had something after the credits.

EDIT: And little Sheryl was HHNNGGGHHH.
Ranka from the series would have been crushed, but this ranka is stronger and more mature so I think she would be fine.
By the way, after watching the movie I would reccomend to read this article (or was it an interview? i don't remember) that Karice kindly translated.
Old 2012-01-29, 05:20   Link #3670
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
Well, Kawamori didn't say it directly (and most likely he will never do it) but it's hinted, at least that's something, right?.
As far as I am aware, he pretty much outfront stated that he was confused that people thought the ending bittersweet. Yeah, he never outright said "Alto is coming back", but you'd have to deliberately want to misunderstand if you couldn't take the hint.
Old 2012-01-29, 05:34   Link #3671
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I'd have to agree with Dash that it's just a hint.

Kawamori only stated that he was confused that people thought that Alto had died. He clarified that he'd folded, but whatever happens from then on is up to everyone's imagination.

If you take into account what the three of them say at the start of the film, it really could go either way. And I think everyone should make up their own minds about it.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-01-29, 06:21   Link #3672
magnuskn

To each his own.
Old 2012-01-29, 09:39   Link #3673
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I didn't think he died. But whether or not he came back... when? I think they should have shown him sneaking in to see Sheryl and her opening her eyes. At least something!!
Old 2012-01-30, 00:22   Link #3674
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

The fact that Sheryl wakes up and the her and Ranka have a concert means Alto came back. Notice the final scene of Sheryl in the credit box. Her mouth moves and the earring shines.
Old 2012-01-30, 02:02   Link #3675
magnuskn

Pretty much that.
Old 2012-01-30, 02:04   Link #3676
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
The fact that Sheryl wakes up and the her and Ranka have a concert means Alto came back. Notice the final scene of Sheryl in the credit box. Her mouth moves and the earring shines.
This is the most logical conclusion, or at least the one that I have seen most people to come to.

While I agree with Karice that it's up to the viewer's interpretation, it's not like Kawamori would point out those hints, or even put them in the movie without some purpose.
And he didn't talk about them just in that animedia article, in the interview from the "Kiss in the Galaxy" manga he even goes into further detail, saying that people need to put attention to what ranka says in the epilogue and to that little video in the credits in which apparently even the order of the scenes has some kind of meaning (I still don't get it though ).

Other example are the two little hints from the "Sheryl Visual Collection final", the first one is that image of Sheryl waking up with Alto, and the other the ending of the "A Day in Alcatraz" story.
I know these are more fanservice than hints, or that they are not as important as what it's in the movie or what Kawamori says, but the point is that the possibility is there and is high, and it's not just some fanfiction conclusion made up by fans.
Old 2012-01-30, 03:29   Link #3677
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Quote:
And he didn't talk about them just in that animedia article, in the interview from the "Kiss in the Galaxy" manga he even goes into further detail, saying that people need to put attention to what ranka says in the epilogue and to that little video in the credits in which apparently even the order of the scenes has some kind of meaning (I still don't get it though ).

Other example are the two little hints from the "Sheryl Visual Collection final", the first one is that image of Sheryl waking up with Alto, and the other the ending of the "A Day in Alcatraz" story.
I took all of that into account too when writing my previous post. On the other hand, the skits in the 'Merry Christmas Without You' concert are rather...ambiguous... Admittedly, that concert took place before the film was completed...but still...

Either way, I still think it's something that people can and should decide for themselves, rather than the rest of us trying to persuade them one way or the other.

To put it another way, if anyone asks me precisely what I think via VM or PM, I'm happy to tell. But I'm not putting it on the forum.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-01-30, 04:58   Link #3678
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Either way, I still think it's something that people can and should decide for themselves, rather than the rest of us trying to persuade them one way or the other.
I agree completely, but I think it's better and easier to form and opinion when you have more information, that's why I suggested DragoZERO to read the interviews and articles you have translated.
For example a large amount of latin-amerian and spanish fans think that Alto infact died at the end of the movie, because the information where Kawamori said that he folded with the vajras was not available for some of them.

If after all of that people think that Alto won't come back or that Sheryl will never wake up I won't try to persuade them, it's their opinion and i will respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
To put it another way, if anyone asks me precisely what I think via VM or PM, I'm happy to tell. But I'm not putting it on the forum.
But isn't the purpose of being in a forum to chat, discuss and read the opinions of others to then form our own? but I kind of understand why you would prefer to do it that way.
Old 2012-01-30, 05:50   Link #3679
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I agree completely, but I think it's better and easier to form and opinion when you have more information, that's why I suggested DragoZERO to read the interviews and articles you have translated.
Oh, I get that. That's why I translated them in the first place.

But I'd rather people not misrepresent what I (or others) have translated - e.g. Kawamori supposedly stating his surprise that 'people thought the ending bittersweet', or Yoshino supposedly saying that 'Alto chose Sheryl in the series'. As far as I'm aware, neither of these is true.

Quote:
But isn't the purpose of being in a forum to chat, discuss and read the opinions of others to then form our own? but I kind of understand why you would prefer to do it that way.
It's a tough one. In some cases, I would agree. But in the case of Frontier, I'm not going to say what I think because the explanation behind it is something I really think people would appreciate better if they came about it themselves.

In sum, this
Quote:
The fact that Sheryl wakes up and the her and Ranka have a concert means Alto came back.
is not necessarily true. It is entirely possible that Sheryl woke up without Alto returning. Optimists (and most romantics) will say that he did come back, others will say that he didn't. Based on the film alone, both views are plausible, though most people have definitely taken the optimistic view.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-01-30, 06:35   Link #3680
magnuskn

But of course we need a hard realist to give us a downer all the time, because that makes things so much better. Right?

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song