AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-17, 03:34   Link #21
user6177
Account Closed By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Bomb
BDB666 - I'm not singling anyone out, so don't take what I say personally (Unless it applies to you )
Yes, OK. It's just that I started this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Bomb
And yeah, let's keep making the distinction between fansubbers and DVD rippers, shall we?
Yeah, let's... so tell me... who besides ASS are DVD rippers?
user6177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 05:15   Link #22
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB666
If you want to go on the technical side, then my group, FoT, are DVD rippers. All our source material is from DVD. Our Tenchi subs are ripped from DVDs, we do not use downloaded RAWs. The Sailor Stars packs we're releasing, though subbed by a different group, are from DVD. (Though those DVDs were made from SVHS copies, made from Laserdiscs...)

And any future releases we do will be DVD source, we will always rip DVDs for our materials. The only way I'd figurehead a show not from DVD source is if it were something that isn't out on DVD.

Also, I might consider doing stuff recorded from TV if nobody else would do the show, and it needed to be done.
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 07:11   Link #23
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylisk
I just wanna put in a word here in defense of ASS. I was talking to the guy who runs that project recently, and he is one hell of a nice guy.

So OK people, you can say the subs suck all you want, but as long as the ENCODE is good, ASS is doing their job, considering they have nothing to do with the subs on their M7 releases. Don't blame ASS for that, and don't diss on ASS, because they haven't done anything wrong.

Also, I'd like to point out that between the encodes for ASS and AIA, ASS's encodes play liquid-smooth on my machine (Which is somewhat low-end. Pentium II 400MHz), and AIA's encodes play like choppy crap (Mostyl due to the fact that my machine is slow. However, the only reason that happens is because whoever encoded it pt the quality settins too damn high. Like, unnescessarally so. I play back a lot of stuff that looks like just as good as a DVD on this machine, and it all plays plenty smooth, so I wouldn't think that ANYTHING should be that choppy.) , so with all due respect I think ASS does a better encoding job. The choppy video is a definite turn-off for me. Fact is, though I have all the releases so far by ASS and AIA, I haven't watched a single AIA release because the video is just too damn choppy.

I love how you say you have a crappy pc and it's AiA's fault for that. It's not to hard to run a channel dedicated to just ripping HK dvds.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 07:14   Link #24
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering A.I.
Meh, it's better than the .rm set of Macross 7 I had before ASS stepped in, especially for me considering I don't need the subs very much anyway having studied Japanese for several years. ^^ It's not like anyone has defended the subs. Indeed the only mentions of subs before Mylene's post said they were bad or AiA's were better. ;p I've seen some fansub tapes of Macross 7 floating around, but that would cost money without even directly supporting the creators and still the video quality would be below what ASS released for free.

So considering I like Macross 7, but not enough to order the Japanese DVDs as I do some shows, it was great having those encodes there and I appreciate it. The biggest factor for me liking an anime is actually the artwork and what neat stuff they can do visually. I read sci-fi and manga, both of which can pull story lines and concepts the animated format could never handle anyway IMHO. So getting to see the series in decent video quality as I did helped a lot in deciding to buy it if it ever comes out in the US.

Ripping, encoding, and distributing does take plenty of work, not as much as fansubbing, but it's still ungrateful to claim otherwise especially of something provided free for fans. If someone had complained ASS does US licensed stuff and distributes to people in the US or that buying that hkdvd hurt the sales of the series that little bit and supported pirates they would at least have the high moral ground to stand on. Instead I see mainly a bunch of pointless bashing with a sentence or two of facts that pretty much everybody already acknowledged anyway. Sad how often this sort of situation comes up.

Edit: spelling mainly, yuck
Any 11 year old can rip an hk dvd,it's not a big deal. Free for fans? Give me a break. I would continue but I would get banned,
Old 2003-12-17, 07:15   Link #25
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm5
For me, AIA's release doesn't have any discernable benefit over ASS's. Subtitles can only ever give you a general idea of what something means in Japanese anyway, and the hilarious errors kind of help you keep that in mind. For a real fanatic of the series, I'm sure they would highly appreciate AIA's extra work though.

However, on the issue of them not having done anything wrong...well, let's just say they don't have a terrribly strict policy regarding licensed vs. unlicensed anime. In fact they probably release more licensed stuff than not.

NO NO AiA just takes the time to do real subs,timing,encoding. Yeah man not benefit at all. I'll let you go back to leeching now.
Old 2003-12-17, 13:18   Link #26
cbm5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've read on these forums.
I doubt that. What, you think that all the meaning of the Japanese dialogue comes across in exactly the same way in English? They are very different languages. I'm not saying that poor English subtitles are in any way better than good English subtitles, I'm just saying that for *me*, the benefit is minimal and it also serves as an incentive to pay attention to as much of the Japanese dialogue as possible.
cbm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 14:55   Link #27
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
I love how you say you have a crappy pc and it's AiA's fault for that. It's not to hard to run a channel dedicated to just ripping HK dvds.
I didn't say my slow computer was AiA's fault. I said that it was AiA's fault that their videos run poorly on slower machines in general.

I am not saying that ASS is the coolest group ever, and I'm not saying that AiA sucks. I merely thought that I shoudl stick up for ASS on one point, and take advantage of the opportunity to point out one of my big pet peeves (People who encode video files with low compatibility. I hate it when people encode with settings higher than needed, and I hate it when people use the "XVID" FourCC setting.)
Old 2003-12-17, 15:24   Link #28
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB666
(and this is for Gary too) Well, when one calls some group 'DVD rippers', it generally means that what they do 'for a living' is rip DVDs straight, with no extra work put into it aside from encoding, be it R1 or HK.

And to name a few...

-Anime Extreme
-Animeunion
-anime-keys
-Suteki-yume
-Anime-movies
-Anime-supreme
-Animepitstop
-Age-of-anime

The list goes on...

(for everyone else) Now, I'm not against piracy, to an extent. But let's be honest about things. There is QUITE a difference between plain old Rippers, and actual fansubbers, and any ripper group that calls themselves 'fansubbers' deserve neither the name or respect (whatever respect is left :P) that name entails. Let's face it. DVD ripping is no better than Warez.

Quote:
If you want to go on the technical side, then my group, FoT, are DVD rippers.
The question then is, do you have translators? Are you using R1 source, or R2/HK/etc...?

Nothing wrong with using DVDs for RAWs, hell, our GaoGaiGar and Macross 7 are based off R2 DVDs. The problem comes when you use the DVDs as your entire source; audio/video, script, and all.

And Gary, respectfully, my old P3 450 laptop can play GitS:SAC fansubs in fullscreen... Mylene said she'll be happy to make .RMs or .VIVs for you if our .AVIs are too massive.

Cheers!
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 15:31   Link #29
Cyberdramon

Quote:
I hate it when people use the "XVID" FourCC setting.
omg... Are you kidding? If the file is ENCODED with XviD the default decoder would be to use XviD. That's what the four CC does...

This whole thread is a joke. DVD Rippers are giving fansubbers a bad name.

To those of you who continue to insult Anime-in-Action for defending their work against heinous retards that just want to release things quickly and without care of quality then this Emoticon is for you: :fingers:
Cyberdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 17:24   Link #30
user6177
Account Closed By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdramon
This whole thread is a joke.
It sure is and that was not what I had in mind. I started this thread and the topic of this thread isn't even about DVD Rippers Vs. fansubbers.

A few post ago I only asked which groups are DVD Rippers. I didn't ask for a 'right or wrong' discussion.

Anyone still wanna talk about Macross 7 or should I start a "DVD Rippers Vs. fansubbers" thread?

I think Fire Bomber has very cool songs.
http://www.macross.co.uk/77077/firebomber/real.asp
Macross 7 P-l-u-s 2 Acoustic Totsugeki Love Heart is very good. If you haven't done so already, download it now!

Last edited by user6177; 2003-12-17 at 17:41.
user6177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 02:06   Link #31
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

N-Bomb: Yeah, I am FoT's sole translator. I'm like, slow... real slow. :P

Cyberdemon: They're both mpeg4, except DivX can play on slower machines. I use XviD to encode, but as for a decoder, I'll pick DivX any day. XviD and ffdshow are TOOOOOOO CPU intensive for me, and they don't up the quality any visible amounbt as far as I can tell. I can play something back with the XviD FourCC setting on another computer in my house (1.2GHz), and it runs fine.. then swap the fourCC to DivX, play it again, and see no difference whatsoever. On my machine, the XviD setting would make it slow, and the video would fall behind the audio severely. Sewt it to DivX, problem solved. I just wish all those open source programmers for XviD would work on some compatibility issues in the decoder. the ENcoder is GREAT though. But what do I know, I'm just a schmuck with an oversized opinion.
Old 2004-02-10, 18:40   Link #32
TheOneManArmy

Anyone can tell me what is the Macross 7 unaired episode?

I already have encore 1-2 and the movie, so I wonder...
TheOneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 19:05   Link #33
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

When you click on details you see the files in a batch. Here it is "Strongest Woman in the Fleet".
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 20:21   Link #34
Phych

There's just too much ASS being displayed in here.
Phych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 16:06   Link #35
Starwolf

Question

Umm, do I have to know the old Macross series in order to understand Macross 7 ?
Could anybody give me the correct order how I would have to watch Macross 7, Encore, Plus, dynamite and the others belonging to the macross series?
This would be very kind.

Thanks a lot

Wolf
Starwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 01:12   Link #36
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwolf
Umm, do I have to know the old Macross series in order to understand Macross 7 ?
Yes - you will have to have watched the original Macross. No other of the other series/movies are required though.

Quote:
Could anybody give me the correct order how I would have to watch Macross 7, Encore, Plus, dynamite and the others belonging to the macross series?
This would be very kind.
Macross 7 TV, 1-49
Macross Encore 1-2
Macross Dynamite 7

Plus, Fleet of the Strongest Women and the movie can be watched at any time since they are standalone - best time would be after the 49 TV episodes.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 22:02   Link #37
brightman
Ancient Member

Well, since they explain everything you need to know in the beginning of all 49 episodes I think you can make do without watching the original Macross... But yeah it's better if you do... Plus it might be good to watch the "Do You Remember Love?" movie too since that's referred to in the M7 movie and its song appears in the "Fleet of the Strongest Woman", plus all the Lynn Minmay animation in the series are from that movie.

But other than that the series really doesn't make reference to the other shows... Macross Two's song appears in it and that's it. And nothing from Macross Plus shows up (at least not to my knowledge). Some of the games give a bit more story too but they are not necessary.
Old 2004-02-14, 22:27   Link #38
TheOneManArmy

I've watched Maxross 7 whitout having watched the Macross serie, I only watched Do you remember love and it was alright.
TheOneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 23:10   Link #39
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneManArmy
I've watched Maxross 7 whitout having watched the Macross serie, I only watched Do you remember love and it was alright.
IMO DYRL is best watched if you've seen the original series... Otherwise it'll confuse the heck out of you.
Old 2004-02-16, 00:44   Link #40
Kaorimoch
Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwolf
This would be very kind.
Wolf
As always, start with the TV series.

I might note that some of the other additional material takes place during the 49 ep TV series, since they lose all of their major enemies at the end of the series and they want them to get more screentime instead of thinking up more original baddies. You can watch the Movie "The Galaxy is Calling Me" any time, the specials as they occur shown on this list - http://www.chaoticempire.org/macross/eps/ , and the Macross 7 Encore 1-2 eps during the TV series.

After the tv series, you can watch the Dynamite Fire OVAs and the "Fleet of the Strongest Women."

Just a word to AiA, I don't know why you are re-translating all the eps when Psycho KORps did such a great job with their translations and makes them readily available upon request. They even have the eps scripts available on their homepage. Translating is a pain in the rear.

Same with ASS, why bother using the cruddy HK subs when you can use the same scripts as well? I watched some of the Fleet of the Strongest Women ep that you put out and some of the humour was left out due to mistranslations. I almost cried when Exedore didn't give his proper excuse upon missing the fleet with the main gun. I'd much prefer the 80 meg asf VHS rips of the Psycho Korp edition so I can enjoy the story. Thats just my preference, not a shot at you guys.

My favorite music clip for Macross 7 is-
Macross.7.Fire.Bomber.HOLY.LONELY.LIGHT.(Live.Vers .)Music.Clip.avi

It shows the person who does Basara's singing voice singing in a Hummingbird live with pictures of Macross 7 interlaced with the video.

I love Macross 7. I've been watching it ever since the cruddy 30 meg rms came out.
Kaorimoch is offline   Reply With Quote