AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-01, 18:54   Link #321
HandofFate

I really liked Daichi's line "Show her that the tragic heroine act won't work" to Manabe.

I feel the reason why he has such a goofy character design is because if Daichi did look normal AND giving out all these good advice and observations, he would outshine Manabe, who's suppose to be the main male.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:29   Link #322
ion475
にこにこにー

Well...

1. Yes, the Moritani scene feel forced. But then, they can't stay enemy forever...
2. Gramps FTW...
3. And not close to enough Manabe pervert thought...

Overall, they're wrapping the first part up for now. It's definitely a downer compare to the first 3 episodes (In my opinion, it feels more like a Sakurasou episode than a Kotoura-san episode). But then, you can't expect them pulling off Urobuchi every single episodes...
Old 2013-02-01, 19:56   Link #323
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
On one hand, I'm kinda eyeroll at the grandfather.

On the other hand, and this is just me, but my impression of him is that while he may be a dirty old man at heart, he's deliberately playing it up in an attempt to distract Kotoura from all her sadness. Notice how she first appears, quiet and sad, and then gets distracted from that sadness. Not the best move... but it works, sorta.

Also lol Manabe. Everytime you have a heartwarming moment... you then have to ruin it by being perverted.
Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. Part of it was just bringing those thoughts up to distract her. He has been the one to raise her all this time so has to have picked up some tricks to bring her out of a dark mood. Not that I don't think it was 100% an act .

God Manabe is just epic. I was waiting for him to completely throw in a super perverted image during his pretty much mental confession. Instead he goes back into rage and spanking thoughts . It did let them catch a wild Kotoura so good job.

I like that despite how open he is about so much he can get embarrassed when he says too much. There were some good moments between them as you might expect going into this.

I kind of liked the flashback with the monk. It was the required bit of darkness to the episode. Feel bad that the guy wanted to do something, but being unable to. Sadly what can you tell a kid after her power lead to her being rejected by just about everyone around her?

The Moritani conclusion was rushed, but I'll get past that. I figured Kotoura wouldn't hold any grudge since more the type to blame herself. She went this far because she felt it was her fault. At most she felt she drove Mortiani to do what she did.

Still think the most hilarious part of this episode was the group chasing Kotoura. Completely terrifying her .

In the end they retrieved Kotoura and all is good...well until the next crisis.
Old 2013-02-01, 22:59   Link #324
Dark Wing

I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind perverted grandpa he just reminded me a bit of Rei's grandpa in Sailormoon...
Old 2013-02-02, 08:23   Link #325
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. Part of it was just bringing those thoughts up to distract her. He has been the one to raise her all this time so has to have picked up some tricks to bring her out of a dark mood. Not that I don't think it was 100% an act .

I kind of liked the flashback with the monk. It was the required bit of darkness to the episode. Feel bad that the guy wanted to do something, but being unable to. Sadly what can you tell a kid after her power lead to her being rejected by just about everyone around her?

Still think the most hilarious part of this episode was the group chasing Kotoura. Completely terrifying her .

In the end they retrieved Kotoura and all is good...well until the next crisis.
I have to agree. 1/3 of it might have been a way to lighten up her mood. 2/3 of it however...

True. To think a monk would go as far as to research books regarding ESP despite his beliefs. He really wanted to help Kotoura.

I wonder if that vision she saw of them chasing her was a product of her mind reading them or her own imagination?

Which most likely involves her mother who abandoned her.
Old 2013-02-02, 12:35   Link #326
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
I have to agree. 1/3 of it might have been a way to lighten up her mood. 2/3 of it however...

True. To think a monk would go as far as to research books regarding ESP despite his beliefs. He really wanted to help Kotoura.

I wonder if that vision she saw of them chasing her was a product of her mind reading them or her own imagination?

Which most likely involves her mother who abandoned her.
I really do wonder what created that image for Kotoura. We have seen imagination clash with reality in the first episode when Manabe went "wolf-man" for a second there. That group can be kind of terrifying so it might have been her imagination . But I wouldn't put it past that trio to create that kind of image either for Kotoura to pick up.
Old 2013-02-02, 20:20   Link #327
00Coyote

As seen in...
Spoiler for The PLOT Times:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 11:32   Link #328
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I really liked Daichi's line "Show her that the tragic heroine act won't work" to Manabe.

I feel the reason why he has such a goofy character design is because if Daichi did look normal AND giving out all these good advice and observations, he would outshine Manabe, who's suppose to be the main male.
same... so far, I think Daichi will be the only character who won't hurt Kotoura in the future... He's maintaining his distance well

latest episode is such a warming heart episode...
no more breaking-heart moment...

can't help but laugh so much when the clubs are doing Kotoura's hunting

now... when will they reveal Ryoko's true intention to Kotoura?
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 12:21   Link #329
garbage

back! been away, took a bit of a break from anime and missed some shows a lot, watched this first thing !

ah the moritani conflict got resolved quite easily, but did it really? got the feeling that it was just rushed. well i wouldn't really know since i'm anime-only here but that's just th feeling I got.

Anyway it was great seeing the family side/background whoa Grandfather's RICH! the size of that house reminds me of the Sanzenin estate (of course he can't be that ridiculously rich,...or is he?) and so creepy echi in a way >.< although It seems he's just doing it tolighten up Kotoura-san ... yeah as Haruka said just like Manabe-kun. The head Priest was also nice.

As usual the Banter between Yuriko & Muroto's great, ahaha I can't seem to shake the image of Keima whenever he opens his mouth but all is good.
Old 2013-02-07, 07:46   Link #330
jdennis007

I think Manabe and Grandpa are going to get along good, maybe a bit too good for Kotoura-san's comfort. They have both figured out her weakness, she gets embarrassed easily.
Old 2013-02-07, 14:00   Link #331
Midonin
Last Engage

The Secret of Haruka Kotoura 05 - The World's Greatest Losers: Coach Yuriko's Intimate Training

I love this episode. It's the first episode that was truly a comedy, with no real drama or complications at all. Just a goofy club comedy - and I'm totally okay with that. One thing that I've liked about this show is that Haruka is the main character, though if anything, this was really Hiyori's episode. People aren't so easily separated into "good" and "evil". There are circumstances and masks and second chances. It's better to rehabilitate than to revenge. And in this case, Hiyori really does seem to be a good person at heart. She may not be blending into the ESP Club well just yet, but she's accepted and found a circle of friends. And with her and Yuriko, my goggles can be powered at 150%. The first half of the episode was charming, and the second...

A character voiced by Hisako Kanemoto isn't terribly athletic, but is forced to participate in an athletic relay anyway. She trains, but ends up failing, and the power of friendship means that's okay. I felt like I was watching Smile 18 all over again. If this is the direction the series takes for the next few episodes, then I say - full speed ahead! Especially if it means more things like the gag of Haruka rolling into the boxes.

Last edited by Midonin; 2013-02-07 at 16:50.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 14:31   Link #332
EroKing

A lighthearted and highly enjoyable episode this week. Preview for next episode looks to indicate a fun one as well!
Old 2013-02-07, 14:50   Link #333
Dark Wing

Well I guess after all the pain and suffering the healing process can really begin. Though I wonder how long that will last when her mom comes rolling back into town.
Old 2013-02-07, 15:00   Link #334
Miraluka
Banned

Manabe is a good character but that red hair and Kotoura just dropped to the bottom for me. I'm going to stop watching this series until I feel like watching it again... maybe not.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 15:26   Link #335
ookamigirl

Kotoura moved back.
Looks like she really likes Manabe after all.
Even Moritani joined their little club.
She only joined to be close to Manabe.
The sleepover was kinda nice.
School festival was fun to watch.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 15:56   Link #336
bastek66

Did you get that reference?
Cronenberg's Scanners
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 16:15   Link #337
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm used to seeing the Scanners guy in mid-explosion, so I didn't recognize him.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 16:49   Link #338
HandofFate

Moritani and Kotoura kind of got superbuddy really fast....guess it fits 4koma style progression I guess.

Not really sure what Kotoura found so funny about the picture of little Mori. Is there a pun I'm missing or does she think it just looks funny.

During the sleepover, when the prez woke up in the middle of night, thought she was gonna crawl next to Daichi lol.
Old 2013-02-07, 18:09   Link #339
Solafighter
Hige

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
^ Manabe at his best.

Great episode.

It was to obvious, that Kotoura would fall on the relay. It's the anime classic scenario. Like in every episode so far, Manabe really stands the man and even brought the whole class to cheer for Kotoura. Not everone is able to do so.

Good thing, they have switched the ED. I wonder, if they select the ED due to the overall feel of the episode. Would be great, if they would.
Old 2013-02-07, 21:03   Link #340
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

A little surprised. Usually get at least one "super tragic" Kotoura moment in an episode. Pretty lighthearted by this series's standards.

Good laughs and wow Manabe and Kotoura continue to move things along nicely. Some pretty cute reveals such as Kotoura picking that apartment because it's closer to Manabe .

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy