AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-23, 09:46   Link #2001
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Anyone dying from all the explanations? There's a whole lot of research I had to do there...
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 10:46   Link #2002
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Anyone dying from all the explanations? There's a whole lot of research I had to do there...

Your avatar speaks for itself.

Spoiler for After reading the whole thing...:
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 11:00   Link #2003
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Probably to add Alice to his growing list of girls... And to build a connection to Artificial Intelligence produced by STL, hopefully SAO does not end after this Arc, I want to see Kirito go to the US and meet more girls there. xD
Old 2012-08-23, 11:02   Link #2004
XxSleepyxX
Learner

Quote:
I'll ask some questions later. My brain got fried. It must of been horrible for you... SO MUCH TECHNICAL STUFF. Don't underestimate Asuna . Thats why shes Kirito's Waifuu.
Old 2012-08-23, 11:05   Link #2005
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

If I have a page for comments, it would likely take about 30kb.

...Where to start...

Spoiler for If you haven't read it yet, don't open it.:
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 12:05   Link #2006
Nihgthawk

OK so I finished reading chapter 1 of vol 10 and now I know why it took so long to translate. The chapter itself is HUGE. Now I have not read the online novel so i have no idea how it ends but their was one thing i noticed that might come into play later on.
Spoiler for Theory:
Nihgthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 12:24   Link #2007
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihgthawk View Post
Spoiler for Theory:
Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2012-08-23, 14:49   Link #2008
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
"Thanks so much dude" says the SAO fan as he bows before the translator, touching the ground with his forhead with each bow
"MISAKA loves Accelerator Teh_Ping so much!" MISAKA says as she starts reading SAO Volume. 10 Ch. 3.

Anyways yeah so much technical and politically controversial information this volume. Can't stop fanboying since I'm such a US political junkie lawlz.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 15:18   Link #2009
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
The author is taking his info dump quite seriously indeed. It's not like he started having this habit recently but this time was a bit extreme with all the historical and popular culture references and military masturbation and the gobbles of pseudo-science. You have my sympathies for sifting through that garbage. It was probably ten times as boring to translate as it was to read (and I admit I started skimming towards the end when the talk turned to unarmed drones and all that).

I wish LN authors could leave the political science to the non-fiction authors, we'd probably all be better off that way.

But the journey was worth it because Asuna is finally back in action. And it sure didn't take her long to find Kirito once she knew where to look.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 17:39   Link #2010
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
The author is taking his info dump quite seriously indeed. It's not like he started having this habit recently but this time was a bit extreme with all the historical and popular culture references and military masturbation and the gobbles of pseudo-science. You have my sympathies for sifting through that garbage. It was probably ten times as boring to translate as it was to read (and I admit I started skimming towards the end when the talk turned to unarmed drones and all that).

I wish LN authors could leave the political science to the non-fiction authors, we'd probably all be better off that way.

But the journey was worth it because Asuna is finally back in action. And it sure didn't take her long to find Kirito once she knew where to look.
Not a Tom Clancy fan I presume?

But I understand, that was quite the verbose info-dump, but considering the themes that the author went through over the years, it was only a matter of time before he got to the more controversial and complex topics such as this.

Old 2012-08-23, 18:06   Link #2011
CNine
Inactive Member

IT was a cat
CNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 18:36   Link #2012
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeEntity View Post
Probably to add Alice to his growing list of girls... And to build a connection to Artificial Intelligence produced by STL, hopefully SAO does not end after this Arc, I want to see Kirito go to the US and meet more girls there. xD
I may who knows.
Well that would be nice but we may incur Asuna wrath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post

But I understand, that was quite the verbose info-dump, but considering the themes that the author went through over the years, it was only a matter of time before he got to the more controversial and complex topics such as this.
Oh I know that name from some?
Old 2012-08-23, 19:44   Link #2013
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I won't pretend I don't know the name, much as I'd like to, but do people actually read that crap? No offense, you're welcome to enjoy it, of course. But I surely do not.

Well, the info dump was bound to happen, but it simply reaffirms my opinion that this author really sucks at writing. Even by light novel standards, his books are really weak. And yet, I love his characters and their interactions and have read each of the novels - twice! Does that make me a hypocrite, or simply someone who enjoys guilty pleasures?
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 20:51   Link #2014
larethian

^ He doesn't really suck at writing, well by light novel standards anyway. Content-wise, his game settings were mostly well done, what he sucked in is to try to touch on stuff that he has poor understanding of the subject matter and then coming up with his own theories on what might be possible in a futuristic setting based on his crappy knowledge. Furthermore, some of his ideas (not all however) have no basis (he didn't even try to properly explain how that's possible which reflect on his crappy knowledge) and are pure wild fantasies (this is where Mahouka is superior though the stuff in it might turn some people off). I prefer he sticks to game science or study more on what he tries to write. But still, some parts were nice to read, as long as it's not about science.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 22:36   Link #2015
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I won't pretend I don't know the name, much as I'd like to, but do people actually read that crap? No offense, you're welcome to enjoy it, of course. But I surely do not.

Well, the info dump was bound to happen, but it simply reaffirms my opinion that this author really sucks at writing. Even by light novel standards, his books are really weak. And yet, I love his characters and their interactions and have read each of the novels - twice! Does that make me a hypocrite, or simply someone who enjoys guilty pleasures?
I dunno, as I've said a couple of times in this thread, I'm quite the Political Junkie...that combined with my Sci-fi guilty pleasure? This Arc's been a fanwank for me hahaha. But yeah I read some of the Clancy books and enjoyed them.

I also love the characters, I've not been this into pairings since Pokemon Special RS Arc I think... xD But yeah it's nice to have such a stable one like this.

As for the problems with the science in this arc...I'll just suspend my disbelief and roll with it. Could be a worse ASB lawlz.

Old 2012-08-23, 23:12   Link #2016
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Speaking of this, it's another one of pure nonsense/fantasy stuff of Kawahara that irks me. Besides, one doesn't measure memory capacity in terms lifespan years. Up to date, the limits of memory capacity has yet to be established (only educated guesses of what it could possibly exceed are available and as far as I can remember, it's way more than that assuming one continues to download information every second without 'losing' anything, though unfortunately, I can't find the source or paper now D: ), and additionally, memory capacity is definitely not measured in terms of neuron count.
I'm pretty sure this was reference in Toaru Majutsu no Index as well... whether it is nonsense aside, at least it's not solely SAO series' fault
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 00:27   Link #2017
larethian

^ Yeah, someone just reminded me. So he did his research in another work LOL! The funny thing is for Index, I quickly forgot that part, but for SAO, it stuck with me.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 00:35   Link #2018
tomtkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I'm pretty sure this was reference in Toaru Majutsu no Index as well... whether it is nonsense aside, at least it's not solely SAO series' fault
I agree.

I think that's the reason Stiyl and Kanzaki initially believed that Index had only limited memory capacity and she needed to be erased of her memories every year. (Am I right?)

EDIT: Kawahara-sensei actually talked a bit about Volume 10 Chapter 2 in his afterword in the same volume. Although he did not talk much about the pseudo-scientific settings there.
Old 2012-08-24, 01:19   Link #2019
XxSleepyxX
Learner

Digesting tech speak... analyzing... analyzing... So this chapter almost reached the threshold of cloned babies... than again more Asuna! Yay!
Old 2012-08-24, 06:35   Link #2020
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Sword Arts Online are getting taken down and stripped away from the Chinese Light Novels website wenku NUUUUUUUUUUU

Sigh...

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality