AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-02-24, 17:48   Link #41
Blaat

I admit my initial reaction was disappointment at the year: 0081, really? That era... again?
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 17:52   Link #42
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Well, what would you have prefered?
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 17:58   Link #43
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
Well, what would you have prefered?
Anything post 0086 would have been fine with me. Don't get me wrong I'll watch the show, I'll probably enjoy it as well but when you set expectations and the expectations aren't met... you'll end being disappointed. ;p
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 18:30   Link #44
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This thread seems to reaffirm something I've always felt. Everyone has a Gundam series they love, and everybody has a Gundam series they hate and usually it's the latest one that causes the most arguments. Makes me wonder if this psyched up attitude for the this new U.C series will dissipate once it actually airs. I also wonder if it can escape getting the workaround.

If ever there were a more schizophrenic group of fans, we the mecha heads are it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 18:39   Link #45
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

As long I see the Zaku and Dom again. I'll be fine.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 18:49   Link #46
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I admit my initial reaction was disappointment at the year: 0081, really? That era... again?
I've seen quite a few share that sentiment, including myself. Somehow yet another show with RX-78 clones and yet more Zakus, Doms and Goufs just seems like more of the same old (especially for those who have been keeping up with MS IGLOO). And OYW Zeon remnants have been repeatedly done before too. But I guess this is a mold that Bandai/Sunrise just isn't willing to break out of, due to the popularity of OYW.

But as long as its Gundam and its done well, all will be forgiven...
Old 2009-02-24, 19:02   Link #47
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I had the strongest feeling that it was gonna take place somewhere in the UC time line.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 19:04   Link #48
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Anything post 0086 would have been fine with me. Don't get me wrong I'll watch the show, I'll probably enjoy it as well but when you set expectations and the expectations aren't met... you'll end being disappointed. ;p
I wouldn't mind something like what you were expecting, though i've got nothing against a show from 0081. Saying that, we don't even know if this show plans to stay in just one year --- for all we know it could progress straight into Zeta era.
Old 2009-02-24, 19:07   Link #49
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I wouldn't mind something like what you were expected, though i've got nothing against a show from 0081. Saying that, we don't even know if this show plans to stay in just one year --- for all we know it could progress straight into Zeta era.
Which means we have a close to 40 protagonist??? Unpossible!!!
Old 2009-02-24, 23:45   Link #50
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Hmm.. wanna try to watch that.

So who in the hell said that the 30th anniversary Gundam show was the Gundam SEED movie? No! It's this one! This is the REAL THING!!!
Shinn_Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 03:35   Link #51
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
@Westlo - This isn't going to be on the typical Gundam timeslot no matter what--if its a TV show at all. Its clearly not targeted at the same demographic nor does it have the same appeal to casual audiences that dominate the current Gundam timeslot. IMO the only way this is going to be a TV show is if they air it on the late night slot (ala Code Geass Season 1), which is doubtful for a Gundam show since the point of a late night anime is to give it with exposure with future DVD sales in mind, and there's no reason to do that for Gundam.
They are pretty much rebooting FMA because they want something to replace Gundam 00 that is guarantee to rate well (unlike R2) and since the first season did and the manga keeps getting more popular it's a safe bet. Now what's another safe bet....? Gundam is a brand, I really doubt the content of the show would matter much honestly. And I really doubt they are going to ignore new popular trends and archetypes completely and not push music artists and figures hard even if it's hardcore UC at it's core.

And it's not like a new UC Gundam is time slot suicide compared to stuff like Terra e (which is my fav show to air in that time slot, but it was wrong for it) and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi... I'm pretty damn sure this would easily outrate Code Geass R2..... even if it doesn't pander to the time slot audience as much as Geass, 00 and FMA will.

Of course all this discussion is moot if it's an OVA or movie.

Last edited by Westlo; 2009-02-25 at 03:51.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 05:33   Link #52
Sander RX

My initial rection:UC again?!HELL YES!
My secondary reaction:OYW again?Damn.

All is good as long as it is done well.As long as it delivers UC atmosphere well...still would've prefered something GRYPS Conflict or onward more.OYW is way too overused.
Sander RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 06:55   Link #53
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
They are pretty much rebooting FMA because they want something to replace Gundam 00 that is guarantee to rate well (unlike R2) and since the first season did and the manga keeps getting more popular it's a safe bet. Now what's another safe bet....? Gundam is a brand, I really doubt the content of the show would matter much honestly. And I really doubt they are going to ignore new popular trends and archetypes completely and not push music artists and figures hard even if it's hardcore UC at it's core.

And it's not like a new UC Gundam is time slot suicide compared to stuff like Terra e (which is my fav show to air in that time slot, but it was wrong for it) and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi... I'm pretty damn sure this would easily outrate Code Geass R2..... even if it doesn't pander to the time slot audience as much as Geass, 00 and FMA will.

Of course all this discussion is moot if it's an OVA or movie.
As I've said before, Gundam does not guarantee ratings success AT ALL, in fact it is quite susceptible to commercial failures, like any other show. It has to have the right appeal for the right people. Why else do you think Sunrise tries so hard to control their production to ensure broad appeal?

No matter what, they aren't airing this on the current slot, because it has niche appeal. They already failed to attract the teenage audience they wanted to go for with 00. It won't happen again.
Old 2009-02-25, 11:12   Link #54
plau

Hmm... A new UC series. Oh dear... I'm a newer generation of Gundam fan, so I haven't seen anything by UC. But this should be interesting.
plau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 13:04   Link #55
Kikuchi

I recommand that you watch the original movie trilogy then. Animation has aged but is still more than watchable and everything else (story, characters...) is still really good.

It'll provide you some good (and important) background for the new show.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 13:16   Link #56
missmsunday
Banned

Can't please all of us. Everyone has their favorite eras and stuff.
missmsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 15:57   Link #57
elindir
Overreacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
I recommand that you watch the original movie trilogy then. Animation has aged but is still more than watchable and everything else (story, characters...) is still really good.

It'll provide you some good (and important) background for the new show.
In my opinion the original series (plus Zeta) is worth watching even if one doesn't want to follow the new series. Those two series from the Universal Century are simply awesome.
Old 2009-02-25, 16:38   Link #58
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I liked Zeta very much, mainly because Char was there, owning in his Hyaku Shiki :]
I wonder what mobile suits will the protagonists of the new series pilot? After the 8th MS team and fabulous Gouf Custom I expect many brand new beautiful grunt customs
Old 2009-02-25, 17:42   Link #59
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Revolution View Post
no , I dont want any more nightmare like Kira Yamato >_>
However , 5-minutes cameo of speaking or something like that ( or even flashback ) is good enough , since if Char and Amuro show off their skills in battle then I m sure there will be ton of stupid arguements about their skills compare to the new series's pilots .
On this note I'd love to see a flashback to the battle of A Baoa Qu with updated animation. The Whitebase in the background with the camera panning by Amuro in the Gundam fighting Char in the Zeong before we see what our lead character was doing during the battle. We saw Gato during that battle having his way with various GMs at the start of 0083 but it was focused completely on him and it really was at the very end of the battle. Just expand it a little to show more of the fight for a few minutes.....and a few shots of the two newtypes inside their suits would be nice.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 17:46   Link #60
Itsygo-kun
ShanaCom

I think it would've been better if they did something after the events in Gundam 00, but still I'm definately gonna watch it ^^
Itsygo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote