Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-05-26, 07:29   Link #2201
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
I don't think both FB/achievements system have undergone the stress test system yet. We still only have limited sample size (beta participants) to really call it stress test. Like I said the aim of the beta test now is to find bug/technical problems (FB integration does not work, achievement dose not display etc.)
I don't remember they doing a stress test in War 3 and TFT. They just finished the beta with a tourney and that's it. If they wanna do a stress test, they would do an open beta, but Blizzard probably will not do an open beta to test the servers. I don't remember them doing it for WoW either. I'm pretty sure in this aspect they will have enough servers to handle the game launch.

Quote:
It didn't happen before doesn't mean you don't have to prevent it happening in the future. Like I said, if it happens, it might cause a lot of harm and problem to Blizz and community. Something that seems silly to you might be big issues for other people.
Did you play on b.net or any other online service before? This isn't really a big issue that needs to be prevented, so it's not a reason to not have a chat channel system. If you use common sense, this isn't an issue that could harm Blizzard. The company is protected by the EULA. If an user break the rules, it's their fault. You use an offensive nickname, you get your nickname banned. Because nicknames can be offensive, it doesn't mean we should eliminate nicknaming. That's why this justification of the lack of chat channels don't work.

Anyway, their basic justification is because chat channels are messy and they are thinking in something else bigger and better.

Quote:
I won't say that chat room is bad or good. I just want to ask to retrospect and introspect about why we would want a chat room. We want it just because old BNet and other game have it? Or do we want it because we really want to have group chat with strangers? Would we use it solely for game hosting and finding specific game?
Because they are useful to lotsa things. That's why. They work and not having it adds more hassle than having it. Why not have the FB thing, chat channels, voice chat functionality (as promised) all together? The friend list isn't quite working well for something taunted as the next thing in social network gaming. Instead of asking why we really need chat channels, why not ask what could be done to improve community gaming aspect without chat channels.

Quote:
And yes Internet forum should be careful of what their users say online, or else why would we have a moderator in the forum. And if you want a private chat room, I think they could modify the current chat system. Right now, when my local friend want to have the group chat, they invite people into single chat channel so I don't see a use of private chat room yet. However, I would agree if they improve the current chat system to certain extent.
Why not a flexible system instead of something restricting. We are talking about basic online community features here.

Quote:
First of all, I agree that current friend list system is horrible. They need to be revamped or rolled back to older one with identifier. However, if they do it I don't think we would need chat room that much.

For example, don't we already use Skype and Ventrillo for chatting in clan or guild already? And when we want to play with specific stranger, with previous friend system which I think they should roll back to, you could invite using name and identifier into the party, create a game and then you are done. I was once playing with Archon Wing for one time when my brother wanted to try playing with him without having him in friend list. I just invited him into a party with Archon Wing and create a game and they could play even without being in my brother's friend list.

The main problem right now is with the new naming and friend list system. If they fix it, most problems are solved.
They broke it first. The identifier system wasn't ideal, but at least it worked as intended. That's the thing. They broke something that worked alright to add something that doesn't work or it works very badly.

Quote:
I admit I don't participate much in beta testing. But I think it is actually the first beta phase, where mostly the system is tested for bug and technical problem, couple with balancing units and game mechanic. I think Blizz intend to improve the BNet along the way after launch, which is ok for me because I won't be using online feature that much because of single player campaign (which I think many people will playing it for awhile).
We had 13 patches already. That's may be ok for you, but for part of the fanbase it's very alienating. I'm buying this game for the singleplayer too, but it doesn't mean that I will be satisfied with features worse and more restricting than the old battle.net. After all the game was delayed by this very featureless b.net 2.0. Another thing, this game is marketed as a game that will change the competitive scene as well. You can't just add as you go when lacking very basic stuff.

Quote:
And like I said above, why do we want the basic feature that are not provide yet. Is it really empty? I for one don't feel it that really empty though. I could play with my brother, my friends, trying hard not to lose in random match, improving my skills. Maybe because I'm not a very social person but many people I know play War3 only within their group of friends and don't bother much about chat room unless they want to find a custom game to play. And that could be done right now with party system and soon would be fixed friend system (I hope).
I'm not social online either, but this battle.net feels very empty. It's only you and your friend list. For lotsa people it's very distressing this system.

Quote:
I won't argue that the last patch is not good but I think it's necessary. You have to try experimenting with the system and see the reaction of the users. If it's good, keep it. If it's bad, change it or try to improve it. The beta patches don't need to be always good, it could bring radical things into the system just for the sake of how people think of them before making further experimentation.
That's the thing. It's not improving. It's getting worse. It's not even a radical change. It's not even worthy of experimentation or test. It's pretty obvious that is not an good idea.

Quote:
Criticisms are good. They make the developer try to fix their game and offer the suggestion how to improve the game. Hell, I also want to criticize about game crashing my laptop too. However, too much criticisms would just become ranting, which is by far less useful than criticism and suggestion. Also, I think we need put ourselves into developer's shoe too, which I'm trying to do. When we criticize something they did, analyzing why they want to do something and finding their goals could be helpful in suggesting how to improve the game.
The thing about putting yourself in the dev's shoes, it still doesn't make much sense. The criticisms about this patch is widespread and deserved. If they want to gives us only barebone stuff, that's ok. That's was fine in the beginning of the beta. However, when they said they gonna close the beta temporally in one week and the game will be released in a couple of months, you have to ask yourself in their place, do you really believe they can implement even the basic stuff in time? The changes in the b.net 2.0 seem more made because of executive decision than developing team decision.

If they just want us to test the balance, matchmaking, bugs, whatever, don't do incoherent stuff like adding FB or downgrade the ranking and friend list system. Just put the barebones and let's do it. Why add and remove achievements? Why no tournament system we could test for them? I wish we could just discuss about only balance than the lack of community tools.

Seriously all the complains are not unreasonable. We are just asking the very simple stuff or in their words better versions of those basic features and nothing more. We are not asking more complex stuff like letting us make video out of the game directly, watch replays together, and other small but complex features. We just want basic community tools that were in past betas.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 17:45   Link #2202
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

The Koreaniod's devotion to Starcraft must not be underestimated.

Until you realize that even Korean soap opera will casually reference it will you realize how deeply it has become ingrained In Korean culture.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 18:26   Link #2203
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The Koreaniod's devotion to Starcraft must not be underestimated.

Until you realize that even Korean soap opera will casually reference it will you realize how deeply it has become ingrained In Korean culture.

What soap was that? I wouldn't be surprised if she followed up with the line, "but Starcraft is love."
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 19:28   Link #2204
Eak
One angry cloud.

Hahaha that's fantastic!

So anyone think that the next unit that is going to get the nerfed is going to be the Colossus? Just a wild, somewhat uneducated guess.
Eak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 00:29   Link #2205
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
Hahaha that's fantastic!

So anyone think that the next unit that is going to get the nerfed is going to be the Colossus? Just a wild, somewhat uneducated guess.
100% it won't be a Terran unit :P
Old 2010-05-29, 00:33   Link #2206
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Refineries have 500 health; assimilators have 450/450; they're probably gonna nerf assimilators.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 03:51   Link #2207
Edgewalker
Nani ?

If blizzard listens to some of what the top Koreans are saying the next race to receive the nerfbat will be Terrans...and rightfully so. I normally play Toss and suspected something was not quite right with Terran but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now that I have started up some custom games learning to play as Terran myself against other Platinum/Diamond players I am starting to see what it is.

The Overpowered problem is that Terran are way, way, too self complimentary. All of their best units are useful in a much wider range of situations than the other races, alowing a huge flexibility that in this counter-centric game is just a tad bit too good. When playing Toss the only safe unit ( safe unit meaning useful in most all situations ) to make when you haven't scouted is mass stalkers and some sentries. When playing Zerg it's mass Mutas or Hydras for safe. When playing Terran literally everything is worth making because of how well the units support each other. While Zerg is busy trying to outmacro me, I'm building an army that I know will woop their ass and harassing the shit out of them. While Protoss struggle to upgrade his pathetic slow Zealots and start his narrow, clumsy, expensive tech path I'm already done producing pure solid gold straight out of my Barracks.

I just got done with a couple matches playing as Terran and I played absolutely horribly and still managed very well. I can only imagine just how broken Terran will be when played at Gosu level.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 05:59   Link #2208
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Marauder being increased to 175 HP in Patch 14.

You read it here first!
Old 2010-05-29, 21:15   Link #2209
kyosak
poo

It's from the drama 'I'm Sorry I Love You'

which btw I'd recommend you all watch. It's really good
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 09:36   Link #2210
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
It's from the drama 'I'm Sorry I Love You'

which btw I'd recommend you all watch. It's really good
Come to think of which, I wish they would name one of the female Zealots Tachibana Kanade.

Maybe it could be expanded into an Angel Beats! custom map.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 10:11   Link #2211
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Angel Beats! SC2 Custom Map starring Kanade as she slaughters everything in her path... SOMEONE MAKE THIS MAP NOW

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 22:24   Link #2212
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

In-game bullet-time function

Also, MAGNIFICIENT First-Person Shooter map:

FInally, galaxy-editor created cutscene:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 13:03   Link #2213
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
That is very nice work.
Old 2010-05-31, 20:58   Link #2214
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Region lock: Now, this is my peeve.
Old 2010-06-01, 06:42   Link #2215
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Region lock: Now, this is my peeve.
Wait there is a region lock? So we won't be able to play with Atlantic players?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-06-01, 07:05   Link #2216
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You can only play with players from your region. If you want to play with players from another regions you will have to buy another version of the game to play on that realm. This isn't a bad thing from the various championships held up till now where accounts were borrowed around so players may play from across the world its clear you really really don't want to not have it region lock since the lag is monstrous.
Old 2010-06-01, 07:22   Link #2217
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You can only play with players from your region. If you want to play with players from another regions you will have to buy another version of the game to play on that realm. This isn't a bad thing from the various championships held up till now where accounts were borrowed around so players may play from across the world its clear you really really don't want to not have it region lock since the lag is monstrous.
I don't think lag should be used as an excuse for region lock. Lag was always an issue and locking the regions isn't exactly a solution to the problem. Worldwide gaming should be a given, specially it worked alright in the last games.

Borrowing account from someone is just a fucked up solution to this mess. This isn't a problem because it's a "free" beta. I thought SC2 should revolutionize eSports around the world, not cripple it. Even if you borrow an account from someone else, the lag will still be an issue.

It's not a technical issue. It's more an executive level issue.
Old 2010-06-01, 08:53   Link #2218
brocko

HuskyStarcraft puts it best.

C'mon Blizzard, don't start dropping the ball now. There's still time to pick yourself back up before it's too late.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 09:21   Link #2219
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
HuskyStarcraft puts it best.
<snip>
C'mon Blizzard, don't start dropping the ball now. There's still time to pick yourself back up before it's too late.
*higher brain functions suddenly shuts down*

AZUNYAN!!!!!

Old 2010-06-01, 11:17   Link #2220
Alaya
Counter Force

I would just say that the situation is not as bad as it looks. Many people just overreacting. Let the game launch first and see how it goes along the way.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows