AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun OVA Rating
Perfect 10 24 29.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 25.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 19.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 18.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.44%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.22%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-11-13, 08:45   Link #61
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Why would you compare Railgun manga sales to Index manga sales? The reason Index manga doesn't sale as well as Railgun is because people have already read the stories in the light novels, which results in less incentive to get the manga. Like I said, it's obvious why Railgun sales better than Index as an anime, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily more popular than it (it's not).
Old 2010-11-13, 12:37   Link #62
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Despite it being so obvious, please enlighten me.

Why does Railgun sale more than Index even though Index is the more popular of the two?
Old 2010-11-13, 12:44   Link #63
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
The manga? Or the anime?

I wouldn't count Index novels because Railgun was not made into a novel.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 12:55   Link #64
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Despite it being so obvious, please enlighten me.

Why does Railgun sale more than Index even though Index is the more popular of the two?
Because it's' slice-of-life middle school girls doing crap done well, which sales better than your shounen action series as an anime. And I never said Index was more popular than Railgun, simply that Railgun isn't more popular than Index. Obviously they are both synonymous with each other and you'd have to be a complete newfag to know of one and not the other.
Old 2010-11-13, 13:53   Link #65
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Because it's' slice-of-life middle school girls doing crap done well, which sales better than your shounen action series as an anime. And I never said Index was more popular than Railgun, simply that Railgun isn't more popular than Index. Obviously they are both synonymous with each other and you'd have to be a complete newfag to know of one and not the other.
When comparing two things like this, you've only got three choices; either one is more popular than the other or they're both equal. It didn't seem like you were suggesting they're both equal, so of course when you say Railgun isn't more popular than Index, you're also saying Index is more popular than Railgun.

Yea, I figured your reasoning would be something like that. If you're not going to use sales as an indicator of popularity, what are you going by then? Just because they're related doesn't mean they can't compete in popularity. That's like saying you can't have a favorite between Mikoto and Kuroko because when you think of one you also think of the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
The manga? Or the anime?
The anime.
Old 2010-11-13, 16:29   Link #66
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
When comparing two things like this, you've only got three choices; either one is more popular than the other or they're both equal. It didn't seem like you were suggesting they're both equal, so of course when you say Railgun isn't more popular than Index, you're also saying Index is more popular than Railgun.

Yea, I figured your reasoning would be something like that. If you're not going to use sales as an indicator of popularity, what are you going by then? Just because they're related doesn't mean they can't compete in popularity. That's like saying you can't have a favorite between Mikoto and Kuroko because when you think of one you also think of the other.
Why would I use the sales of the anime adaptation as an indicator of popularity for Index? If you were to go by DVD/BD sales for Fullmetal Alchemist, then you would think that it's less popular than something like K-ON. For an adaptation, the sales of DVDs and BDs aren't a good indicator of popularity, especially in comparison to slice-of-life series like K-ON, because animes about school girls general sale better than fighting series, which is the case with Index. Not to mention the reaction to the anime could be lukewarm while the original material is still very popular, which isn't really the case with Index as it still sold well. Furthermore, going by actual source material sales, Index is the most popular light novel series Dengeki currently has running.

Sales aside, if you just frequented Japanese sites then you would know Index and Railgun have about the same level of popularity on a commercial level, Railgun just sales better as an anime. Plain and simple.
Old 2010-11-13, 17:06   Link #67
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Just random news, but the OVA has sold over 30000, tying up with K-ON's sales!
And even beating the sales of any one volume of the TV series!

Maybe its about time to call Toaru Majutsu the spin-off and this the original... Hahaha.
I fully support this!

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, it's obvious why Railgun sales better.
=> Mikoto!
Old 2010-11-13, 17:15   Link #68
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
=> Mikoto!
Clearly biribiri power at work here :P
Old 2010-11-13, 17:49   Link #69
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Why would I use the sales of the anime adaptation as an indicator of popularity for Index? If you were to go by DVD/BD sales for Fullmetal Alchemist, then you would think that it's less popular than something like K-ON. For an adaptation, the sales of DVDs and BDs aren't a good indicator of popularity, especially in comparison to slice-of-life series like K-ON, because animes about school girls general sale better than fighting series, which is the case with Index. Not to mention the reaction to the anime could be lukewarm while the original material is still very popular, which isn't really the case with Index as it still sold well. Furthermore, going by actual source material sales, Index is the most popular light novel series Dengeki currently has running.

Sales aside, if you just frequented Japanese sites then you would know Index and Railgun have about the same level of popularity on a commercial level, Railgun just sales better as an anime. Plain and simple.
No need to be so defensive. I don't have a problem with not using the anime sales. I just wanted to know what you were using, since apparently anime sales isn't accurate.
Old 2010-11-13, 18:17   Link #70
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I'd say Index is more popular as a light novel series (over 10 million copies sold, beating the sales of Haruhi, Shana, Kino no Tabi, Zero no Tsukaima, etc.) but Railgun has done better as an anime/manga. Index's detailed storyline fits a light novel format better where it isn't limited like it is in an anime/manga form, and Railguns's simpler story fits an anime/manga better because there's much less happening, thus why the sales for Index's LN's and Railgun's anime/manga have done better respectively.
Old 2010-11-13, 20:12   Link #71
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
=> Mikoto!
Saten-san!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
I'd say Index is more popular as a light novel series
In the first place, there is no Railgun light novel, so you can't say Index is more popular as a light novel.
If fact, if Railgun had a light novel, then maybe it would sell more than Index. Of course, just a guess, as it doesn't exist.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 20:39   Link #72
tsunade666

No, I think Saten I mean Railgun Novel would sale better if their is a light novel for it.
Old 2010-11-13, 23:32   Link #73
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Saten novel will outsell both of them!
Old 2010-11-14, 02:24   Link #74
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

railgun is really more popular than index, after all moe-blobs slice of life with no story or development is whats hot in anime rigth now, personally i prefer index over ralgun, even more if we talk about anime adaptations but i know im one of few that think this way.
zeniselv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 09:22   Link #75
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
railgun is really more popular than index, after all moe-blobs slice of life with no story or development is whats hot in anime rigth now, personally i prefer index over ralgun, even more if we talk about anime adaptations but i know im one of few that think this way.
Meh, people wants to ignore the fact Railgun is directed towards a different public which is more wide and effective for sells.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 09:33   Link #76
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
No need to be so defensive. I don't have a problem with not using the anime sales. I just wanted to know what you were using, since apparently anime sales isn't accurate.
lol, right, I'm being defensive. If you can't think of a way to refute what I said then just admit it and don't pull out the umad card.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 2010-11-14, 19:17   Link #77
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Meh, people wants to ignore the fact Railgun is directed towards a different public which is more wide and effective for sells.
Except that doesn't really matter.
What we are talking about is that fact: Railgun is more popular than Index. Correct?
You are giving it a reason. What you seem to be saying is that since Railgun is directed towards a different public, you can't compare.
Which isn't true.

If more people like it, then it is more popular. If more people like K-ON, than that means K-ON is more popular. Sales is just one way of figuring it out.
Maybe it isn't 100% accurate, but a WHOLE lot more accurate than statements like: "I frequent anime sites and from the posters there (of what percent of the people in the world), I think one is more popular than the other".

Quote:
railgun is really more popular than index, after all moe-blobs slice of life with no story or development is whats hot in anime rigth now
Is that your description of Railgun? Oh how untrue it is.
In fact, it is so extreme, I can give just one example to prove it wrong.
Level Upper.
Okay, end.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-11-14, 21:46   Link #78
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Except that doesn't really matter.
What we are talking about is that fact: Railgun is more popular than Index. Correct?
You are giving it a reason. What you seem to be saying is that since Railgun is directed towards a different public, you can't compare.
Which isn't true.
As you said, it "seems", in other words: I didn't.
By "different" I'm not excluding a group from other, a good part of Index anime fans are included within Railgun anime fans, in the opposite it can't be said the same.
Thus, they can be compared.

Between the next choices:

a) A girl with vast magical knowledge who has perfect memorization but needs to get a cleanse on her..... oh wait, first you need to know which magic knowledge we are talking about so, lets start the exposition about her.

b) A high school student which we are used to see on a lot kind of series with her friends showing us their daily life.

Is obvious which is the easy choice, less talking more focus on the characters even if they're not doing much or just doing nothing.

Hey, at the end you misunderstood me, I didn't expect this from you, maybe is my fault for being ambiguous with my words.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 23:45   Link #79
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Is that your description of Railgun? Oh how untrue it is.
In fact, it is so extreme, I can give just one example to prove it wrong.
Level Upper.
Okay, end.
my mistake there i should have pointed not "all" of railgun, but most of the anime is,
these episodes as maids, kindergarden helpers and fake beach, didnt had any purpose at all, they could used that for character backgound or something, but well thats just my opinion, and i dont dislike moeblobs, i was just dissapointed because i expected something different from railgun.
zeniselv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 01:24   Link #80
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
As you said, it "seems", in other words: I didn't.
By "different" I'm not excluding a group from other, a good part of Index anime fans are included within Railgun anime fans, in the opposite it can't be said the same.
Thus, they can be compared.

Between the next choices:

a) A girl with vast magical knowledge who has perfect memorization but needs to get a cleanse on her..... oh wait, first you need to know which magic knowledge we are talking about so, lets start the exposition about her.

b) A high school student which we are used to see on a lot kind of series with her friends showing us their daily life.

Is obvious which is the easy choice, less talking more focus on the characters even if they're not doing much or just doing nothing.

Hey, at the end you misunderstood me, I didn't expect this from you, maybe is my fault for being ambiguous with my words.
Well, as long as everything is cleared, than all is well.
I understand what you are saying. In the end, Railgun is more appealing. That is why it is more popular.
Just that thanks to some comments, it kind of felt like you were meaning something else (thus the misunderstanding).

Quote:
my mistake there i should have pointed not "all" of railgun, but most of the anime is
I just went and took a look, but a majority of the episodes focused on plot or character development.