AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass R2 Series Rating
Perfect 10 365 44.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 199 24.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 92 11.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 76 9.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 31 3.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 20 2.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 0.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-04, 13:22   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Code Geass R2 - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 25 episodes of Code Geass R2... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, speculation on the possible DVD only bonus episodes, etc., etc…

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Will there be additional DVD only episodes and what will they contain.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Editing: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 13:29   Link #2
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
first in
up until ep 19 i was ready to name this show my fav of all time
but the last arc spoiled it for me (and the panultimate one was a NGE ripoff)
the last ep saved the show or me
but it had to save it becouse it was going downhill for a few eps before
all and all 8/10
which sucks becouse it could have been 10 /10 with ease if it didnt nose dive after ep 19 (which was as far as im concenred the high point of the show)
Old 2008-10-04, 13:50   Link #3
Shuuda
Sniped.

Send a message via MSN to Shuuda
I gave it a total of 9/10, I very much enjoyed watching the show. I loved the characters, the mech designs, the plot, the action. There were parts which could have been handled better, such as the whole Charles and Bitch storyline in 20 and 21. But overall, a brilliant piece of work.
Shuuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 13:57   Link #4
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 25 episodes of Code Geass R2... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, speculation on the possible DVD only bonus episodes, etc., etc…

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Will there be additional DVD only episodes and what will they contain.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Editing: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.
Animation: 10
You have to admit. This anime is beautiful! Lots of work goes to detailing the characters and environment.

Voice Acting: 10 The voice actors in Code Geass get into their character wonderfully. They also complement the characters very well in terms to emotion and character situations.

Scripting: 9 Uses numerous plot twists that change the storyline. The dialougue is well devoloped.
Editing: 9 The plot twists are transitioned very well.us Well enough to fit in with plot that its charcters motives believable.

9.5 The character devolopment and plot twists won me over! These series never fails to surprise. The characters (even the minor) go into great detail. I have also favored the small sprinkles of romance in Code Geass.
LustfulEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 13:57   Link #5
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Animation Quality: 7 - Most of it was pretty good but I still hate the way the characters profiles looked. Fight animation quality was alot better.
Voice Actors: 9 - FukuJun and TakaSaku are two of my all time favs, I cant picture Lulu and Suza in any other voice
Script: 8 - Not as good as R1 but since I considered most of it a dramatic train wreck, it delievered for being wildly entertaining up to the very end
Editing: 8 - hmmm not usually something I judge an anime on but I thought it was pretty good.

Overall atleast an 8/10 total, I liked R1 a bit better but R2 delievered where it needed to. It kept me guessing most of the time although sometimes I thought it was freaking obvious what was gonna happen. It tugged at my heart strings, it made me laugh and face palm at the same time. Not the best anime ever but again wildily entertaining to the end.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 14:06   Link #6
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I'm very picky when it comes to anime, and there are very few series that have managed to capture my attention like this one. The first season was absolutely amazing, the story captivated me and kept me wanting more and more. Season two moved onto the bigger stage but even then the staff managed to keep some of the things that made S1 so good, mainly the double life aspect of some of the characters. Voice acting I think was excellent, specially Lelouch who really made the separate identities stand out. The sweet brother and normal student, and the ruthless terrorist tactician really stood out because of the awesome work the voice actor did. The animation quality was good, but what really stood out were the fight sequences, which were all new and unique. There was no stock footage use, and that was a refreshing sight after a certain series left a bad taste in my mouth. The last arc was what kinda turned me off, as it seemed poorly executed. Some plot elements that had been core to the story because they motivated the character turned out to be underwhelming and were "resolved" in one episode...I don't know if this was rushed or if the writers just run out of good ideas, but something just didn't feel right about this last act. Basically my number 1 gripe with everything was that things just happened too fast in a show that had up until then taken its time to develop the story. The last few episodes felt extremely Gundam Seed Destiy-esque in an obviously bad way. Also, the way the ending was handled (ambiguity) left something ot be desired.

Over all it seems as if this series could've used a third season so that every element of the story could be developed without rushing things at the end. Flaws in the last arc is what keeps this from being a Perfect 10. The first 25 episodes were definitely worthy of a 10, but R2 brings that down to an 8.5-9/10.
Old 2008-10-04, 14:20   Link #7
Worriors1
Spontaneous Retirement.

Animation Quality: 8
It had it's.. Not right moments. But it was fine overall. (Recall the 'high quality' pictures?) It was just parts weren't as fluid as they felt like they should be.

Voice Actors: 9
I did like alot of the voice actors, but a few bugged me from time to time to be honest. I can't pick them off the top of my head, but to be honest, I really hated Charles's and Marrianne's voice actors.

Script: 8
The China Arc felt.. Useless to me for some reason. I mean, yes it proved important.. Way later in the story. The character's words were fine, but the plot points.. It.. Really messed me up with the jumping between supernatural plots. I mean, some of them just didn't really have a point to waste a full episode on it.

Editing: 9
Editing was fine. I don't really know what counts as editing, but whatever it is, Code Geass passed.

Average = 8 1/2, it wasn't the best show in the world, and compared to some that I've seen.. It doesn't quite beat them. But it was fine and deserves a watch, nonetheless.
Old 2008-10-04, 15:00   Link #8
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I decided an 8/10 was fair for this show. I've been a big proponent of it, but even I had my episodes and characters that I just didn't like. Trainwreck that made no sense though? No way! Overall it's been one of the more enjoyable series I've seen over the last couple of years, though it's probably not going to get into my top 10 personal favourite list.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some form of sidestory or OVA in the near future if they can find a way to make it work. In a way I'm happy that this is the end because of the tough times I had while blogging it (It was a bit of a time leech and the result of a lasting insomnia), but I'm also kind of sad because I really will miss the good times I had while watching it. Funny how that works.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:10   Link #9
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*

Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
7/10
Awesome mechas.
Pretty chara.designs.
Hard working seiyuu-tachi.

Story went out of control.
Horribly distorted faces.
Ending saved the day.
dec4rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:25   Link #10
Charred Knight

Since its only for Code Geass R2: 6/10

The reasons while its plot is solid and it has a good ending that's about it.

It fails to capitalize on the first season (for this a gave it a harsh penalty)
The show had sequences of horrible planning (when did it seem like a good idea to steal ideas from Gundam Seed Destiny).
The entire cast has horrible character development except for about 5 people (compare that to even the anime version of FMA)
The lack of ambition, season 1 challenged Tomino and his reign on real mecha and the second season chickens out on that.
Not enough new mecha (stop upgrading two suits)
Nothing that blows my mind
Removal of Unique mecha combat, for combat straight out of GSD (another large penalty)

The good points
Good ending but it becomes bad if a sequel is made
Excellent animation as expected from my favorite Studio.
Lelouch was a unique character

In comparison to other mecha series

Giant Robo 10/10 (Best Mecha series ever)
G Gundam: 9/10
Turn A Gundam: 9/10
Gundam 0080 9/10
Zeta Gundam 8/10
Vandread both seasons 8/10
Code Geass season 1 8/10
Mobile Suit Gundam 8/10
Wing Gundam 7/10
Gundam 0083 7/10
08th MS Team 6/10
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:26   Link #11
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I give a solid 8. It was a great show and fun to watch. And each episode had cliff-hanger to make it interesting and it did work for most of the time. The start of the show was probably the best part as I was really excited for every episode. The mech action in the beginning was pretty good and I did like Guren with float system, also Zangetsu, Shinkrou, Vincent, and Shenhu were also cool too. But for some reason through the middle of the series it began to lose the spark, the mech action became bit boring and the story kinda felt static. And by near the end of the show the story felt really rushed and the battles became really boring as it just became one sided. However the ending was nice especially with the death of Lelouch, which was a redemption for Lelouch.
Though the most disappointing about this show was that it had potential to be really great but it was just too rushed. Especially considering there were those two damn fan-service episodes, within those two episode I think it could have been better. The other disappointment was the characters such as Gino, Anya, and Mariane, who could have been developed more or portrayed better.
In the end it was a fun show .
Old 2008-10-04, 15:32   Link #12
hero147

Awesome and memorable anime for the years to come for me! 9.5, since I enjoyed the ride a whole lot
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:36   Link #13
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
I liked it so much....................Perfect 10.
Old 2008-10-04, 15:39   Link #14
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Awesome and memorable anime for the years to come for me! Perfect 10, since I enjoyed the ride a whole lot
You wanna back it up with some reasons?

For example for Giant Robo I gave it a perfect 10

Excellent animation
a plot twist that dropped my jaw
characters who dropped my jaw
the most unique powers I have ever seen
the last two episodes where awesome concentrated
a man who challenged the eye of Volger to a fist fight
Reason was thrown out giving us some of the above
The most unique concept I have ever seen
One of the saddest endings I have ever seen
Every character was an uber badass who ran on pure awesomeness
Black Ox
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:40   Link #15
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
well, I wouldn't ever watch this show again, far too tragic for my tastes. But, after having seen it, I'm going to have to give this an 8/10

Did I like it? In the beginning, yes. But as character deaths, especially of ones I liked, started mounting up, and the way it ended, I can say I no longer like it, but I suppose it was a unique ride

I still haven't entirely gotten over the ending...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:42   Link #16
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
You wanna back it up with some reasons?

For example for Giant Robo I gave it a perfect 10

Excellent animation
a plot twist that dropped my jaw
characters who dropped my jaw
the most unique powers I have ever seen
the last two episodes where awesome concentrated
a man who challenged the eye of Volger to a fist fight
Reason was thrown out giving us some of the above
The most unique concept I have ever seen
One of the saddest endings I have ever seen
Every character was an uber badass who ran on pure awesomeness
Black Ox
The ending was also more open-ended then anything Code Geass R2 had to offer. It looked like they were going to start a whole new story arc and then BOOM over. Anyway.....wrong thread.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 16:39   Link #17
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
I'll give it a 9/10 only cause sometime the animation was..meh.
Other than this, charas development, pacing {though sometimes rushed}, background music etc. were on a high level.

This show shall be remembered, too far amazing for words.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 17:30   Link #18
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Code Geass stirred a lot of reactions and praises for its bold plot and especially Lelouch's character.
The first season managed to get quite entertaining. Is the second season the proper sequel for CG? My answer below.

1) Image Quality:

Sakuga and animation
Even if I'm used to CLAMP character design, I must admit that Code Geass has often shown many exaggerated facial distorsions that almost reminded me of these atrocious ones from Higurashi first season. In a way, while it managed to give some charisma for many characters, it was extremely whacky at times (especially Lelouch's mouth, which its limits can even reach the edge of his jaw).
Faces aside, I must admit that Kallen's bust size was downright scary in many occasions... her breasts weren't exactly stable and could jump from D-cup to G cup between 2 episodes (I'm especially referring to the period she is abducted by the Empire)

The Animation doesn't have much to be criticized about, but Sakuga itself can be very debatable in the course of the second season. I will most likely mention Episode 15, with Charles having an EXTREMELY whacky character design, while Lelouch got oversimplified for many scenes.

Of course, such syndrome occurs in various episodes, but it isn't a major fault that would affect much the series itself. However, it is kinda questionable to see how it can go VERY wrong at times.
7.5/10

2) Sound Quality:

2.1 Voice Actors
I think this department for Code Geass is nothing to argue: they do have a lot of charismatic voice actors, especially Fukuyama and Wakomoto for their performances for respectively Lelouch and Charles.
Of course, if you add Yukana's alluring voice for C.C. and Nakata's usual "nonchalance" for Diethard, it does show how they didn't go wrong with the seiyuu.

Though I would argue that some of the voices were kinda average (Rivalz's, V.V's, etc), it is rather because they are rather too "normal and plain" in comparison with the guest stars already.

2.2 Opening / Ending
I will be quite short, but... I really didn't like much of these OP and ED at all. Granted, they weren't as bad as the first season second OP, I must say that almost none really gave me the "proper" vibes for the franchise.

2.3 BGM
Most of the ones used for Britannia were quite nice (chorus, quite the noble and military sides), while few mystic tracks (notably for C.C.) were quite good. However, the rest is pretty much too "discrete". Of course, one might argue that it prevents the tracks being invasive, but it also dampens the possible "pumped up" effect for certain key scenes.

8/10

3) Script:

3.1 Characters:
This point of the series is arguably shaky to be quite honest. As far as I can critic, the biggest problem for Code Geass is actually to portray a real evolution aside for our main tandem, Lelouch and Suzaku.

Lelouch was infact the most consistent character of the franchise: despite his lies and his "necessary evilness", he could prevent himself to set himself astray. One would expect him to be contradictory to his main objective, but there wasn't much possibility to use shortcuts or whatnot considering the trial.

This is quite a contrast with Suzaku who had to go on "trial-and-error" considering how his loyalty could only match the "winning" side, until he finally was able to attain the "best option", which was granted by Lelouch.

Now, the "bad" side of the characterization lies with the other characters, mainly the "antagonists" that didn't exactly earn well this title.
Charles was first portrayed as a totally ruthless regent, who could care less of his offsprings. Many times, he was shown doing some shady stuff with elements related to the Geass cult and the World of C. But then, as he is trying to outsmart Schneizel's plan, it is finally revealed that Charles tried in a very bad way (kinda similar to the Seele from Evangelion) to bring peace for his children.
This stirred a lot of debates, and personally, I couldn't swallow this switched description as it is literally a curve ball. Even if I can accept characters having a personal agenda, I'm really not keen to accept such switching role, especially if all odds proved otherwise (sending Nunally and Lelouch as political hostages, ordering Rollo to kill lelouch should the latter regain his memories of Zero, etc). To begin with, why did he use his own son for a mere witch hunt?

Schneizel wasn't exactly a climatic "final boss" either (the term quickly got proved wrong with episode 24). Despite Schneizel was almighty, he lacked a lot of passion or ambition. His objective turned to be extremely plain and didn't exactly match his apparent personality. Worse, it almost seemed a completely nonchalant pass time, a true lack of conviction.

Now, a lot of other characters were completely messed up with their "path". Betrayal, revelation, confession... A lot happened, yet, many characters didn't exactly meet their own expectations and went extremely wild to the point their decisions were pretty much debatable.

Kallen was quite difficult to gauge by the time she departed from Lelouch's side. Despite she is one of the few characters that knew him best, she was absolutely unable to do a decisive choice and went completely on a unreasonable passion. She basically didn't have much personality and almost followed the rest of the black knights.

Speaking of which, these guys were atrociously the helpless sheep. Despite they didn't exactly have an iron steel trust towards Zero, they couldn't do anything without him. Yet it is so unconvincing to see them forgetting everything Lelouch could set for them. The biggest point was how they could get approvement from the Kyoto's leader, despite they were present (which prevents lelouch to actually brainwash him as they would hear his command). This is where the problem lies: they don't have much a real conviction and follow the "dominating" leader that seemed the less evil... they utterly lack of their own judgment, which is proved by Schneizel's manipulation and Diethard's comments.
Kaname Ohgi was probably the most frustrating in the pack, along with Tamaki.

In the end, many characters were just flipping their coin as their conviction wavers quite a LOT. It is highly disappointing that most characters get caught by the tides of events and just shifted according to these, instead of going through the flow.

3.2 Story progression
Code Geass suffered a lot for its extremely shaky pace. At first, the second season was very slow, paying the luxury for having a parallelism with the first season.
However, the story quickly gets completely out of control as soon as the whole ordeal with the Chinese/UNF was set up. It became obviously apparent that the plot isn't going through some proper progression and goes into complete oscillating "spikes" which were the numerous plot twists here and there (Nunally becoming the new governor general, Suzaku/Lelouch, Fleia, etc).

At this point, the plot became a rolling stone, going downwards the hill, completely ignoring the "shortcuts" to the points of many things don't exactly go well with the pacing (for my part, I was s
o unconvinced by the betrayal of the Black Knights). This has been coupled with several ignored matter and times skips that didn't bring well the answers needed (especially how lelouch was able to convince Suzaku in joining him for the coup d'etat, etc).

In the end, after a lot of political puppeting and such, Code Geass rushed its penulimate conclusion with many plot twists that turned the whole deal downright inconsistent, which hurted the characterization a lot (notably the "antagonists", Kallen, Gino etc). Of course, some of them give a proper spice up (Nunally FIRST shifted side, Shirley's death, etc), but too much of them just turned the plot progression into something like a mere question of "how Code Geass will surprise me this week?", instead of "what it the story will unfold?".

In short, R2 didn't get its pace right (which wasn't anything better due of the fillers, especially the Love Attack, episode 12), and completely doesn't match the proper "theatral yet intriguing and intense" story telling that the first season was able to convey. As result, second season basically gave more what the "fans wanted in their wild speculations" instead of logical and normal story telling, which was sadly detrimental.

That said, the conclusion was appropriate, though "too easy" and rather unconclusive for the whole matter and ideal.

4/10

Conclusion
Code Geass was ambitious... well too much for its own good?
I would say yes, though it wasn't all that bad because it managed to be entertaining. However, because of its inherent storytelling, R2 had to deliver several things in a very specific way that did not work in the end, well at least for me.
Perhaps it was because of my expectations, but R2 failed to execute properly the events that would involve the world into a total war.

5/10 - below average

I have rated for myself the first season as 8,5. However, because of the fact R2 was meant to give all the answers (which is absolutely not the case here) and THE conclusion, its value has a bigger impact than the first season, and I would give the franchise a very "fragile" 6/10 in the end. This is basically showing how disappointed I'm.

This "essay" is of course my only opinion, and i don't pretend to get an appreciation more worthy than anyone else's.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-10-04 at 18:01. Reason: some typo
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 17:33   Link #19
Carlos45

I'll gave it 9/10

I enjoyed everything about Code Geass, however i thought the whole thing was abit rushed, they should of took their time, and done the ending episodes. I really enjoyed watching this anime, and i reckon it's the best one i've seen.
Carlos45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 17:34   Link #20
Shaggy kun

Animation: 10 The anime is beautiful! i liked the detailing of the characters and thge, mechs and environment.

Voice Acting: 10 The voice actors are awesome in Code Geass they make the character.

Scripting: 9.5 i liked the numerous plot twists that makes the story line great.

Editing: 9 Just perfect
Shaggy kun is offline   Reply With Quote