AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-11-09, 13:02   Link #121
Gooral
Banned

Tell me sth I don't know. Maybe it's time to change the rules to the ones that don't treat everyone like idiots?
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 13:18   Link #122
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Tell me sth I don't know. Maybe it's time to change the rules to the ones that don't treat everyone like idiots?
The rules can be improved. But I don't think any of the staff will be interested in your opinions if you take this attitude. If you actually spend some time reading the policy and thinking about the reasons that went into its creation, you'll see that "treating everyone like idiots" has nothing to do with it.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 18:56   Link #123
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Its not a case of the mods treating us like idiots, its the fact they cater to the few people who don't know how not to open a spoiler tag. Nevertheless this issue has been brought up many times and the mods have shut it down many times. Nothing is going change.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 22:38   Link #124
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Its not a case of the mods treating us like idiots, its the fact they cater to the few people who don't know how not to open a spoiler tag.
Well for what it's worth, technically it was actually more about reducing the amount of spoiler tags in use in general, making the spoiler tags that remained more benign/less risky, and re-directing topics about other media to more appropriate threads in the right sections.

I wouldn't say that the staff is closed to suggestions about this, but most of the suggestions that we get don't address the problems that the current policy was designed to solve. In most cases, people just want us to go back to the original rules about spoiler tags, but there's a reason this policy change was made. Further changes would have to be evolutionary, not revolutionary.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 23:11   Link #125
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Yeah, starting another thread for a post that's 4 lines long is a great idea. lol....So it's a stupid idea.
Maybe if you didn't come across as arrogant and self-centered, people would take you more seriously. If you want to discuss the novel, start a novel thread and announce it in the anime thread. If that's too much trouble, then don't bother to post at all. You certainly seem fired up about discussing the Erin novels. Why not discuss them in the venue that's set aside for that purpose here?

Quote:
What does it have to do with the post I made?
Not everything needs to be about you. I was only observing that, beyond about episode six, Erin becomes difficult to discuss in general without revealing major events in the story because they are so central to the plot.

Quote:
Last but not least, personally I hate spoilers BUT KnSE is an exception.
No, it's not an "exception," it's one of hundreds of threads about anime series appearing here for which a consistent set of policies need to be enforced. You sound like you think no one here other than you knows how to run this forum. Trust me, the moderators here don't do anything without serious thought beforehand, and the spoiler policy has evolved over a number of years now.

Quote:
Besides Japan novel was published only in France and Germany AFAIK and I can speak German only very little. Talking about how great the novel is and popularizing it increases the chances of publishing it in English or meeting someone that read it.
Talking about the novel on an anime board that most publishers will never see has zero effect on its being translated into English and published here. I'd venture to suggest that CR's decision to carry Erin has a much bigger effect on developing whatever audience it might have in North America than any postings on AS. If you want to see Erin translated into English, I suggest you talk to Scholastic. They picked up Twelve Kingdoms and Moribito; maybe they'd be interested in Erin as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 20:11   Link #126
ThinkTank

Wouldn't it be a bit more intelligent to handle the spoiler policy through software?
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 22:00   Link #127
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Wouldn't it be a bit more intelligent to handle the spoiler policy through software?
Like automatically searching through spoiler problem threads and extricating offending posts?

I have a question, I thought that spoilers were allowed in all threads; in spoiler thread, spoilers can go commando, but in no spoiler threads, spoilers have to be marked with the Spoiler tag. Don't tell me there are threads where spoilers are banned in all forms, am I misunderstanding?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 22:07   Link #128
Gin
*Artist

Most episode threads have a strict no spoiler policy, even if you use spoiler tags.
Old 2010-08-27, 23:05   Link #129
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Not really, no. It requires human discretion to determine the context of what is being discussed and to identify it appropriately, and it requires discretion on the other end to know whether it's a good idea (based on their own preferences and experiences with the property and the person posting) to view that material. There's no software or system that could both show the sort of discretion needed and be trivial enough to use that everyone will use it in a consistent, proper manner. People have tried to propose things before, and it's way too complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I have a question, I thought that spoilers were allowed in all threads; in spoiler thread, spoilers can go commando, but in no spoiler threads, spoilers have to be marked with the Spoiler tag. Don't tell me there are threads where spoilers are banned in all forms, am I misunderstanding?
Please read the Spoiler Policy. No matter what the thread, most spoilers are not allowed at all even behind spoilers. There are specific exceptions identified in the rules for the spoilers that are allowed provided they are properly identified and behind spoiler tags. But, only the sorts of spoilers permitted in the Spoiler Policy are allowed. Anything else can be deleted and warnings/infractions issued.

Beyond that, there are also threads (like Episode threads as Gin mentioned) where no spoilers are permitted at all. This is identified in the first post of the thread (but, for the most part, it's usually episode threads).

So if you thought "I'm safe as long as I put my spoilers behind tags"... you'd probably be wrong. Most spoilers on AnimeSuki are not okay even when tagged.
Old 2010-08-27, 23:14   Link #130
Kudryavka

Ok, I have read the rules before, but I was still under an impression that spoilers were okay if you used protection. I'd like to ask why, but I know I shouldn't. Tanx 4 evryting.

@ThinkTank I think that doing so would inevitably result in a case similar to using periods and other sly moves to circumvent a profanity filter (e.g. the system can bleep out "sweet", but it can't find "sw.eet" or "sweeet"). The spoiler filter would end up with people easily avoiding the system's radar, and the occasional scenario of the machine just extricating posts that aren't actually spoilers. The first step to making a spoiler filter would be deciding how it decides what makes a spoiler: is it the word composition? should the filter learn about every anime's spoilers? should the filter learn problem words, like spoiler? Figuring that alone would be a headache, let's just leave it to our human moderators and admin.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-08-27 at 23:28.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 23:50   Link #131
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Ok, I have read the rules before, but I was still under an impression that spoilers were okay if you used protection. I'd like to ask why, but I know I shouldn't. Tanx 4 evryting.
It's like Pandora's Box...It's hard not to look under lid .

Realistically, it's a courtesy for all anime only viewers (of which there are plenty, in fact everyone is at one point or another) who do not want to be spoiled about future events, nor do they wish to dredge through a mountain of posts enclosed in spoilers as multiple posters discuss material that the anime-only people cannot even look at for fear of spoiling the entire series. So, to relieve this problem, no spoilers are allowed in certain threads.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 23:54   Link #132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "why" has more to do with the incessant problem of too many people having severe challenges in how to *label* their spoiler tag. The number of "spoiler inside here" tag titles (which tells the reader *nothing*) just kept escalating. The policy is a lot tighter than even "old nazi me" is fond of because I like to do 'compare and contrast' of anime and manga like in literature class and that's hard to do without spoiling series X when discussing series Y. But it is what it is.

Often the subforums will get a special "Spoilers galore" thread where people can discuss openly... but single thread series don't have that option.
Old 2010-08-27, 23:59   Link #133
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The policy is a lot tighter than even "old nazi me" is fond of because I like to do 'compare and contrast' of anime and manga like in literature class and that's hard to do without spoiling series X when discussing series Y. But it is what it is.
Actually, we do specifically allow "compare and contrast" behind spoiler tags as long the label of the tag clearly identifies what is being compared (and the comparisons are "useful or informative"; I'm sure you can imagine the alternatives... ). I personally think these sorts of comparisons can be very valuable, so I'm all for it. This is one of those remaining cases where the label is still extremely critical (since you're right of course that one of the main reasons we went to this policy is due to people's chronic inability to label their spoilers properly).
Old 2010-11-18, 16:42   Link #134
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Most episode threads have a strict no spoiler policy, even if you use spoiler tags.
Too bad it's practically ignored.
I've basically given up any attempt to read a section about an anime until I've finished the anime - and even then I'm wary.
There is so much spoilerish material popping up from everywhere that the few times I wanted to see people's reactions to a particular episode, I ended with spoiler about the several next episode, the following novel from which the next season could be drawn from, the comparison between what's happening in the episode and the deep irony considered guy X dies in the tome X of the light novels, that this episode was heartwarming and someone can't wait to see how the wedding of Y will be in the next season, and many guesses at what will happen in the soon-to-be-published novels considering what happens to "this character that hasn't yet be animated" and "this situation that was inadequately rendered, and make this subsequent situation later completely messed up", etc.
I think you get the point.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 01:49   Link #135
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Too bad it's practically ignored.
It's not ignored on purpose. Use the "Report Post" button and the mods will act on any future event spoilers. But mods don't follow every anime or read every thread, so we depend on reports from users. People can, will, and do get infractions and bans for spoilers all the time, but it's an on-going issue.
Old 2010-11-19, 07:39   Link #136
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's not ignored on purpose. Use the "Report Post" button and the mods will act on any future event spoilers. But mods don't follow every anime or read every thread, so we depend on reports from users. People can, will, and do get infractions and bans for spoilers all the time, but it's an on-going issue.
I didn't mean to imply it was ignored on purpose, sorry if it sounded like this
I just meant that so many people just don't bother with being careful about spoilers, that it would requires to report basically half of a section.
And well, if I report a spoiler, it means I've already been spoiled :-/
Old 2010-11-19, 13:44   Link #137
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
I just meant that so many people just don't bother with being careful about spoilers, that it would requires to report basically half of a section.
Is there a certain section in particular that you're referring to here? I don't *think* there are any sections that are that bad, but like I said, we don't all review every section or thread...
Old 2010-11-19, 14:09   Link #138
Akka

I'm thinking particularly of the Haruhi and FMP section last year - I can only offer "last year" because, due to massive spoilage about some crucial events from the novels, I didn't want to have a look thereafter, and I have completely abandonned them. Maybe the situation is better now.

More recently, I remember getting some slight spoilers about Bakemonogatari. Can't remember exactly which ones and where, because I didn't care really much about it, and as such the spoilers didn't stuck in my mind - if I had been a fan of the show, I could have remembered more precisely, but then if I had been a fan, I probably wouldn't have dared to look at the forum before finishing the serie
Old 2010-11-19, 19:32   Link #139
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Akka, the way the current system works is the entire discussion is handicapped by the rules in hopes if it can't move, nobody gets hurt. Unfortunately this only works (if anywhere) in threads which are reasonably new, get some average discussion and are fairly mediocre as far as discussion speed goes. Everything else (slow threads, fast threads) either crawl along or roll along just fine, even with the handicap. The reason being, given enough mass (ie. spontaneous/spammy discussion) or lack of mass (ie. very precise discussion) the distinction between spoiler and non-spoiler becomes very subjective. In both cases unless the moderators are extremely knowledgeable with regard to the source material, the spoiler is effectively a needle in a haystack.

You're not the first, and undoubtedly not the last, to complain about this issue with spoilers.

In a ideal world it would me more practical (and logical) to simply prevent people from being spoiled, when required. But that would mean keeping/generating blacklists/whitelists and periodically setting sections/threads to require-moderation before posts are published. Since this would require creating plugins, etc, we have no choice but to live with the handicap-system.

Last edited by felix; 2010-11-20 at 09:15. Reason: typos
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 22:49   Link #140
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Please read the Spoiler Policy. No matter what the thread, most spoilers are not allowed at all even behind spoilers. There are specific exceptions identified in the rules for the spoilers that are allowed provided they are properly identified and behind spoiler tags. But, only the sorts of spoilers permitted in the Spoiler Policy are allowed. Anything else can be deleted and warnings/infractions issued.

Beyond that, there are also threads (like Episode threads as Gin mentioned) where no spoilers are permitted at all. This is identified in the first post of the thread (but, for the most part, it's usually episode threads).

So if you thought "I'm safe as long as I put my spoilers behind tags"... you'd probably be wrong. Most spoilers on AnimeSuki are not okay even when tagged.
I apologize for quoting a three months old post, but it just came to my attention that what you said, while very important, is not clearly noted in the current Spoiler Policy: the fact that "most spoilers are not allowed at all even behind spoiler tags". I have been here long enough to notice that's how it works, and it's certainly implied within the current policy, but shouldn't this line be clearly stated rather than implied? I think it's already part of the rules governing episode discussion threads within series sub-forums, so it shouldn't be any different for general discussion threads (or any other thread). I will quote two lines in particular that I think should be clearly marked:

Quote:
Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, spoiler policy, spoilers