AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-21, 15:16   Link #801
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I have to laugh at how they still don't seem to have figured this trailer release thing out. First it's one still shot of Yuki from the promotional poster playing (lazy), then it's actually a little bit of movie stuff, and now it's five minutes of low res still images of mostly scenes we've either already seen from the previous trailer or that spoil the events of the movie with some music that I guess is supposed to be inspirational or something (extremely lazy). Guess they've still got that whole thing going on where they presume hype and the franchise name alone will sell the product, which it probably will.

I'm still on the fence about whether I even want to bother seeing this or not and I can't say they're making it seem any more desirable a watch with this latest campaign. I also can't say I think length is going to factor in much at all to the presentation for the story and would almost imagine they just want to be famous for having a really long animated movie before anything else. Not looking good at all.....
Old 2010-01-21, 15:26   Link #802
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Not looking good at all.....
You say this every time there's a release of anything. And you end up not enjoying it because you go in with a negative attitude, thereby proving yourself right.

...Why not try watching this with a somewhat open mind for once?
Old 2010-01-21, 15:37   Link #803
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You say this every time there's a release of anything. And you end up not enjoying it because you go in with a negative attitude, thereby proving yourself right.

...Why not try watching this with a somewhat open mind for once?
Not possible. Every time he's in this forum it's "I'm a fan of the series" this and "I want it to succeed" that, but it's all just a setup for more bitching and furthering of the godawful stupid premise that KyoAni and Kadokawa are trying to kill the franchise, because that's all it ever results in. Obvious troll is obvious.
Old 2010-01-21, 17:29   Link #804
Peanutbutter

Wow, I felt I just finished seeing the entire movie.
Old 2010-01-21, 18:12   Link #805
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yeah I know it shows EVERYTHING. You get an entire feeling of it if you've read the light novel already...
Old 2010-01-21, 19:45   Link #806
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing Minori's Alt!Yuki voice.

Shy and demure... *Thoughts trail off*
Old 2010-01-21, 19:52   Link #807
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Kogetsu will be all up in that.

lol.

Make an ENTIRE audio track of just Alt!Yuki.
Old 2010-01-21, 20:02   Link #808
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I have to laugh at how they still don't seem to have figured this trailer release thing out. First it's one still shot of Yuki from the promotional poster playing (lazy), then it's actually a little bit of movie stuff, and now it's five minutes of low res still images of mostly scenes we've either already seen from the previous trailer or that spoil the events of the movie with some music that I guess is supposed to be inspirational or something (extremely lazy). Guess they've still got that whole thing going on where they presume hype and the franchise name alone will sell the product, which it probably will.

I'm still on the fence about whether I even want to bother seeing this or not and I can't say they're making it seem any more desirable a watch with this latest campaign. I also can't say I think length is going to factor in much at all to the presentation for the story and would almost imagine they just want to be famous for having a really long animated movie before anything else. Not looking good at all.....
Where I agree with you...

The 5 minute Lantis production isn't technically a movie trailer, from what I was told, but rather an advertisement for the movie's original sound track.

Now, as an advertisement for the OST, it works quite well. This is a good way to promote the movie's soundtrack.

Problem is... it reveals way, way too much from the movie. It may help sales of the movie's soundtrack, but it could undermine gate receipts for the movie itself, by basically giving everything away to non-novel readers. Here I agree with you.

Something like this probably should only be released after the movie has already been in theaters for a week or so, when the effect of massive movie spoilers is greatly lessened (since people are talking all about it anyway).

At that point, something like this 5 minute production could get people who have a mild liking for Haruhi, but haven't bothered to take the time to go see the movie during its first week in theaters, to get up and go see it.

I also agree with you that I don't get why there aren't more standard 30 second to a minute or so movie trailers for this. Maybe it's a Japanese cultural thing?

In North America though, that is how you hype movies... with pumping or intriguing 30 second to a minute or so movie trailers that take catchy lines or good shots from the movie, done to riveting music. This sort of approach helped the most recent Batman movies a lot, I think.

Now, where I disagree with you...

The artwork here looks great. It might not be as high-res as it'll look in theaters, but it still shows us how nice the movie's visuals will be.

Perhaps the best thing about the 5 minute Lantis production is how it silences any concerns that some of us may have had concerning the overall look and feel of the movie. Basically, this movie looks to have an art style that I think almost all, if not all, Haruhi fans will be cool with.

I also think that the movie itself will probably be excellent. The Lantis production shows a lot of promising work. I'm definitely looking forward to watching this movie.

But... that being said... yeah, this is giving a whole lot away. It's almost on the level of the script to the Wolverine movie getting released before the movie aired in theaters.

KyoAni either doesn't think that any non-novel readers whatsoever are interested in the movie, or they have no control or influence over Lantis here, or both.
Old 2010-01-21, 20:50   Link #809
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

KyoAni either doesn't think that any non-novel readers whatsoever are interested in the movie, or they have no control or influence over Lantis here, or both.
I think that THEY think that they've scared everyone off with E8.

It's highly likely too, but I dunno the sales for advance tickets.
Old 2010-01-21, 21:47   Link #810
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
I think that THEY think that they've scared everyone off with E8.

It's highly likely too, but I dunno the sales for advance tickets.
That's probably a lot of it yeah.

If so, it's a shame. This movie does look like it's going to be really good.
Old 2010-01-22, 03:04   Link #811
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

OH. EM. GEE.

Just look at the backgrounds! For example:

Oh well, at least they missed a few key parts. On the other hand, I think this will tide me over until the DVD release.

Oh, and by the way, nice music.
Old 2010-01-22, 05:19   Link #812
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Not possible. Every time he's in this forum it's "I'm a fan of the series" this and "I want it to succeed" that, but it's all just a setup for more bitching and furthering of the godawful stupid premise that KyoAni and Kadokawa are trying to kill the franchise, because that's all it ever results in. Obvious troll is obvious.
I have no idea where you got that pointless goal in mind, especially considering that I was one of the people who stated that I don't think they are trying to ruin the franchise (partially because I don't think that's actually possible following Endless Eight where people cheered that only Kyoani could get away with such a thing like they'd just accomplished some incredibly virtuous feat ), just that they need to get back to basics and honest to god effort as opposed to marketing and other gimmicks.

Now what's really going on is that I was keeping it simple and straight with my lack of an impression based off of the failure of the promotional campaign to leave me with one so far. As always it takes a little more than the prospect of getting to see Yuki be an emotional wreck/otaku wish fulfillment character, something that seems to have gotten the regular crowd so psyched up, for me to want to stick it out with an almost 3 hour movie.

Lastly and quite frankly I don't really care if the franchise succeeds or not cause I know it'll make tons of money no matter what they do with it (thank you Endless Eight for proving what had once just been a crazy theory of mine), I just want them to bloody well make a solid entry that will actually measure up to a fraction of it's hype for a change. And yes I do realize that this may in fact not be possible since this is Haruhi level hype we are talking about so I wouldn't even particularly mind settling for something that at the end of it all will make me look back and say "you know what I'm glad I decided to devote 3 hours of my life to this instead of doing something else".

Pretty basic expectations here wouldn't you think? Now imagine all I have to go off of in terms of what to base these expectations off of are a series of still images and some nice music and perhaps you'll see why they continue to be frustrated.

I may be getting ahead of myself here (and I certainly hope I'm proven to not be otherwise I may just end up dying a little inside in the coming months) having not actually seen the scene in question as it's meant to be presented in the movie, but that actually looks like some honest to god effort and maybe even a bit on an artistic side I can appreciate (now I'm almost certain I'm getting ahead of myself, but eh....). It kind of looks like they've done the backgrounds the same way as with Tatsunoko's Karas where they took real world images and traced over them with animation software in order to create a lifelike animated representation of the image. It's like a sort of stationary rotoscoping.

God damn if the animation style/consistency in this franchise doesn't fluctuate more wildly then the temperature of Mercury though.
Old 2010-01-22, 07:23   Link #813
Rungelunge

It was Lantis fault and the ost trailer right now is gone. It was replaced by another un-spoilerish one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrkNp02tu0
Old 2010-01-22, 07:26   Link #814
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Wow.

If I didn't already know what was going to happen in this movie, I would have been pissed off by this trailer.

Lol, Lantis is such a troll.

However, it isn't the end of the world...

... yet...

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2010-01-22, 08:19   Link #815
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rungelunge View Post
It was Lantis fault and the ost trailer right now is gone. It was replaced by another un-spoilerish one.
that's like... it's kinda like the same trailer, but without the spoilerish ones, with the scenes from Dec. 18 trailer prolonged to fit the same time frame.

somehow, i cant help but feel that it's stupid..
Old 2010-01-22, 08:52   Link #816
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rungelunge View Post
And it so happens I have the foresight to download the spoilerific one before it was removed and now I'm gonna put it on my channel.
Old 2010-01-22, 09:15   Link #817
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
And it so happens I have the foresight to download the spoilerific one before it was removed and now I'm gonna put it on my channel.
Links? OwO
Old 2010-01-22, 10:17   Link #818
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

GG.
Don't watch.

Spoiler filled.

Carry on.
Old 2010-01-22, 10:20   Link #819
Solachinx
is a myth

Hmmm. @ 1:00, any unfamiliar names, anyone who has the classlist?
Old 2010-01-22, 10:56   Link #820
baltakatei

Spoiler for Class seating charts:

Nyou.

Tags
science fiction, shounen