AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2010-04-27, 22:05   Link #21
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Are there really more fansubbers than scanlators? It seems like there'd be more scanlators. Wouldn't written Japanese be somewhat easier to translate from than spoken Japanese? (In example, Shota talked about not being able to understand accents in the Free TL thread.) And Photoshop seems like a more widely used program compared to, you know, AegiSub. There's no "encoding" crap to figure out either. Plus the manga raws aren't like lol 3gb like ts. And as for obtaining manga raws... If you know where to look, you can find whole volumes to use. Winny Club, Manga Helpers?

Last edited by Schneizel; 2010-04-27 at 22:21.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 07:13   Link #22
asunder
the ancient biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Historical reasons.
This.
Back like over a decade ago (or close to two >_>) when one would be surfing sites on anipike looking for any information on <insert favorite series here>. Sometimes there would be a manga translation site with typed up translated chapters sans images. I remember reading the text translations in this fashion for Ranma ;_; ... Is there no one else that used to do this? I don't remember seeing any sites with typed up anime translations...just summaries at most.

<Speculation> Perhaps this system came about because of the scarcity of manga digital raws back then as well as people not wanting to ruin the binding of their manga during the scanning process. </Speculation>
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 15:07   Link #23
TGEN
Far out, man!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunder View Post
This.
Back like over a decade ago (or close to two >_>) when one would be surfing sites on anipike looking for any information on <insert favorite series here>. Sometimes there would be a manga translation site with typed up translated chapters sans images. I remember reading the text translations in this fashion for Ranma ;_; ... Is there no one else that used to do this? I don't remember seeing any sites with typed up anime translations...just summaries at most.

<Speculation> Perhaps this system came about because of the scarcity of manga digital raws back then as well as people not wanting to ruin the binding of their manga during the scanning process. </Speculation>
Maybe it's because people, being the consumerist pigs they are, are too lazy to flip pages. Superhero comic movie adaptations always gross more than the comics themselves ever did, at least for the successful ones.
TGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 01:37   Link #24
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
The easiest way is just to print out the pages and use good old fashioned white-out, then scan them in again.
If you like low quality and relatively large file size releases, then yes, this would be the easiest way.

But for scanlators that care about quality, they spend hours and hours transforming a crappy magazine scan into something that looks like it was carefully dissected from a tankobun, then adjust colour levels and format the page to create something of high quality with low file size.

While most reasons for why there are more public translations for manga than anime, I think another reason is e-peen.

While you have scanlators who are doing it for the love of praise and attention *coughnarutoscanlatorscough*, I find that a larger percentage of fansubbers are doing it just for the "fame and glory" than the percentage of scanlators who work for "fame and glory" (I didn't say all, or even majority of fansubbers, so don't throw rocks at me).

Having translated for both a fansub group and scanlation groups, I find that scanlation groups are more likely to pick titles that they really like and care about, and more groups are founded on the basis that there is a series they like and they want to share it.

But my experience with fansubbers is that many are formed around the desire to produce fansubs (which series is generally irrelevant to them, as long as it's not being subbed faster/better by another group). I've even come across a group that shows disdain, sometimes even hatred, for the show they are subbing, but only continue because of the series' popularity (the name of the group/series slips my mind atm).

Point is, I think fansubbers are more likely to treat their translations like "top secret copyright", whereas the scanlation community is more open and eager to spread the love.
roxybudgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 04:23   Link #25
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybudgy View Post
I've even come across a group that shows disdain, sometimes even hatred, for the show they are subbing, but only continue because of the series' popularity (the name of the group/series slips my mind atm).
uh yeah this isn't really rare at all
even if you like the show from the start, watching it five times in a row every episode will quickly make you hate it, so a lot of fansubbers actively choose to fansub series they don't like so that they can watch the series they do like normally
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 04:54   Link #26
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

(Or they don't subject themselves to poor fansubbing practices that "require" them to re-watch an episode 5 times.)
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 04:55   Link #27
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybudgy View Post
But my experience with fansubbers is that many are formed around the desire to produce fansubs (which series is generally irrelevant to them, as long as it's not being subbed faster/better by another group). I've even come across a group that shows disdain, sometimes even hatred, for the show they are subbing, but only continue because of the series' popularity (the name of the group/series slips my mind atm).

Point is, I think fansubbers are more likely to treat their translations like "top secret copyright", whereas the scanlation community is more open and eager to spread the love.
Only reason this is somewhat true is because fansubs reached a critical mass where competition was really alive and the current trend is an after effect of it. If manga had the same peak that anime did, it'd be pretty similar.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 05:41   Link #28
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
Are there really more fansubbers than scanlators? It seems like there'd be more scanlators. Wouldn't written Japanese be somewhat easier to translate from than spoken Japanese? (In example, Shota talked about not being able to understand accents in the Free TL thread.) And Photoshop seems like a more widely used program compared to, you know, AegiSub. There's no "encoding" crap to figure out either. Plus the manga raws aren't like lol 3gb like ts. And as for obtaining manga raws... If you know where to look, you can find whole volumes to use. Winny Club, Manga Helpers?
yeah, I thought there're more scanlators than fansubbers too. Seems to see new groups of scanlators popping up all the time. And you're also right in that more people know how to use Photoshop than all these other programs needed for fansubbing. (after all, even those who don't scanlate use Photoshop often enough)

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 18:14   Link #29
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
Wouldn't written Japanese be somewhat easier to translate from than spoken Japanese?
No. I can understand spoken Japanese fairly well. However, I still have a few thousand kanji left to memorize before I can read written Japanese.

One could always go through it with a kanji dictionary, but that is just tedious.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 05:53   Link #30
CryptWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
The answer is actually really simple: (some/most of) anime fansubbers are a bunch of elitist fags
^ This.

And yeh, scanlating sounds like a lot of :effort:.

Raws factor into it as well, I suppose.
Anime is broadcast digitally and a $200 TV tuner could record countless episodes of Anime with no quality loss, but each page of manga costs $$$, and I heard that some really srsbiz people actually rip the pages out to get a slightly better scan (which will inevitably still suffer a quality drop, unlike recording a DTV stream). And due to that quality drop, a lot more effort is needed to make the thing look all fabulous again in Photoshop. (Some would say that you need tons of effort and o9k AviSynth filters to make a TV anime broadcast look fabulous, but most don't).
CryptWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 06:07   Link #31
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Do people get so crazy about scan quality for manga pages anyway?

As long as it's leveled right and scanned flat, why would people really care? You're not getting 1600 dpi on your monitor no matter what you do anyway.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote