AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-08, 21:28   Link #21
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Hope to see Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa under the spotlight! (Although I wouldn't mind if we have Inazuma Eleven and some Martial Art manga).

Oh, and suddenly thinking about Godzilla, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Hatsune Miku (she definitely will show up!)
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 22:50   Link #22
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Just reboot Yawara! As a reminder here's some info from wiki about the original show:

Quote:
The story is about Yawara Inokuma, a young girl who aspires to an ordinary life but who, due to her innate talent, is forced to keep practicing judo by her authoritarian grandfather, Jigorou Inokuma, with the aim of achieving championship in Japan and the gold medal in the Barcelona's 1992 Olympic Games. Because of all the pressure from her grandfather, she has a generally bad attitude about judo, avoiding it as much as she can. However, as the manga continues, she begins to understand why her grandfather so loves judo, and she begins to appreciate it more.
In 1989, Yomiuri TV (part of the Nihon TV network) began broadcasting an anime adaptation, which ran from October 16, 1989 through September 21, 1992 for a total of 124 episodes. Each episode ended with a countdown to the number of days remaining to the start of the Barcelona Olympics.

You just have to replace Barcelona 1992 with Tokyo 2020
Old 2013-09-08, 23:02   Link #23
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Haruhi/CLANNAD: baseball
Slam Dunk: basketball
Madoka: pole-jump
Prism Ilya: dodgeball
Free: swimming
Lucky Star: volleyball
Old 2013-09-08, 23:45   Link #24
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Just reboot Yawara! As a reminder here's some info from wiki about the original show:

You just have to replace Barcelona 1992 with Tokyo 2020
Or commission a sequel about her own child or even I guess grandchild (it has bee 28 years since Barcelona).
Old 2013-09-09, 00:01   Link #25
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Ginban Kaleidoscope's author needs to write a new series *keeps dreaming*
Old 2013-09-09, 00:19   Link #26
solomon

Too wild of speculation too early me harties.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the mascot is mainstream like the other crappy ones we've had before.

I'd LOVE to see some sort of manga/anime shoutout during the Olympics but any if at all will be fleeting.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 09:48   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sadly, though this is all in fun, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think anime is going to be showcased in 2020. Yes, the current government is playing up the "Cool Japan" thing a bit, but Japan changes governments like most people change socks - we could three of four transitions between now and then. And even if Abe were still in power, he's not going to let anime be any major part of what the world sees - it's be a showcase of "high culture", history, and high-tech.

What I expect to see, somewhere in the opening ceremony or at least the overall pageantry: Tezuka for sure, probably Astro Boy. Miyazaki definitely. These are safe, internationally recognizable (you might even see Pikachu, because that ties into the international perception of anime as being for kids) and "respectable" choices. You might, at a stretch, see some sort of nod to Matsumoto Leiji or even Akira, given the obvious apropos nature of the event. But Hatsune Miku, the colossal titan or even Lupin III? Not in a thousand years.

What I do think you'll see, as others have mentioned, is a spate of anime with Olympic tie-ins. What I hope you don't see is those series as jingoistic and nationalistic propaganda delivery devices.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 10:06   Link #28
RJ TAYLER

Perhaps a Prince of tennis: Going For The Gold might be released in time for 2020.

For the Yuri fans the Equestrian events might inspire one author to tie the two into.

Judo, well they introduced it in '64 so I can see it making a return to the news stands.

Swimming, water polo, diving and beach volleyball are 'staples' of manga, I don't see this ebbing off anytime soon.

Archery is a popular sport throughout Asia and many works have focused on it in the past.

Track and field, well that's a given.

Cycling has provided us with some entertainment on the printed page and small screen alike, as has sailing, rowing and boxing.

Just a few of the sporting delights we have to offer from the 'traditional' bracket of Olympic sports, I expect to see a focus on. It's not just "A" or "B" but a bigger garden to play in.
Old 2013-09-09, 10:16   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Sadly, though this is all in fun, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think anime is going to be showcased in 2020. Yes, the current government is playing up the "Cool Japan" thing a bit, but Japan changes governments like most people change socks - we could three of four transitions between now and then. And even if Abe were still in power, he's not going to let anime be any major part of what the world sees - it's be a showcase of "high culture", history, and high-tech.

What I expect to see, somewhere in the opening ceremony or at least the overall pageantry: Tezuka for sure, probably Astro Boy. Miyazaki definitely. These are safe, internationally recognizable (you might even see Pikachu, because that ties into the international perception of anime as being for kids) and "respectable" choices. You might, at a stretch, see some sort of nod to Matsumoto Leiji or even Akira, given the obvious apropos nature of the event. But Hatsune Miku, the colossal titan or even Lupin III? Not in a thousand years.

What I do think you'll see, as others have mentioned, is a spate of anime with Olympic tie-ins.
I pretty much agree. The anime world will play a role in the opening ceremony, as it is part of Japanese culture. But it's role will not be huge for the reasons you laid out.

That being said, I expect J-Pop in and of itself to be a significant part of the opening ceremony. That could conceivably involve Hatsune Miku, though I think its more likely to include a well-known J-Pop group (which itself may or may not have ties to anime).
Old 2013-09-09, 10:41   Link #30
Tri-ring

There is still 7 years till it actually starts.
Having said that I believe they may incorporate the new with the old such as Augmented Reality where old movie reels of the past Olympic opening is overlaid on the present reviving the legacy of what the games had been in the past into the present and possibly the future.
The system used for the live performance of Hatsune Miku stage could also be incorporated in a gigantic scale being hanged from the ceiling of the new stadium for animated figures to fly around or a water screen in center stage to create a large 3 dimensional holograph can also be done.

In any case you gottta think BIG really BIG.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 10:48   Link #31
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Unless we see anime hitting the mainstream, and I mean completely saturating the mainstream JP media in the next seven years, we probably won't see anything anime related at the Olympics saved maybe 1-2 short animated sequences about an event or something.

Anime is niche in JP, as is everywhere else. Something that Japanese don't even consider as their 'core' culture will not be showcased at the international stage.
Old 2013-09-09, 10:54   Link #32
james0246

Someone should totally redo Battle Athletes Victory. I can imagine nothing better than for an anime tie-in to make the argument that the Japanese* have to win the most gold medals or else aliens will kill us all...

*The original anime had an international cast (with the lead girl being Japanese) vs. aliens, but the new one can be a bit more patriotic...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 11:46   Link #33
RJ TAYLER

Perhaps a full-on international cast Olympic-tie-in anime could be developed with the finest animators from across the world being involved, episodes set in most countries with a use of local talent therein.
Old 2013-09-09, 13:56   Link #34
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Akira should be shown. It predicted the 2020 Neo-Tokyo Olympics.
Old 2013-09-09, 20:10   Link #35
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Vivid Red Olympics!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 20:16   Link #36
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
But Hatsune Miku, the colossal titan or even Lupin III? Not in a thousand years.
I now demand that Kaitou Kid and Lupin III team up to steal the Olympic Torch.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 22:26   Link #37
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I now demand that Kaitou Kid and Lupin III team up to steal the Olympic Torch.
I'd prefer to see Mine Fujiko myself. She certainly seemed quite athletic in last summer's video, and I'm sure she could fashion an appropriate outfit to wear. Perhaps she could compete in one of the shooting events. Or maybe beach volleyball.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 00:06   Link #38
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
Unless we see anime hitting the mainstream, and I mean completely saturating the mainstream JP media in the next seven years, we probably won't see anything anime related at the Olympics saved maybe 1-2 short animated sequences about an event or something.

Anime is niche in JP, as is everywhere else. Something that Japanese don't even consider as their 'core' culture will not be showcased at the international stage.
While I can maybe see Hatsune Miku in the 2020 Olympics, the sports anime that everybody is talking about on this thread have zero chances in hell of being showcased. And I'm being serious.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 07:59   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
While I can maybe see Hatsune Miku in the 2020 Olympics, the sports anime that everybody is talking about on this thread have zero chances in hell of being showcased. And I'm being serious.
I don't think that anybody is saying that sports anime will be showcased at the Olympics. What we're saying is that there will be sports anime created to tie-in with the Olympics. In other words, that you'll have your normal one cour/two cour anime shows that reference the upcoming Olympics and tie into it in some way. Something like Free! (or perhaps even a future sequel of Free itself) except it will incorporate the Olympics directly into its plot.
Old 2013-09-10, 08:06   Link #40
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Was there any anime that tried to tie in with the Nagano 1998 winter olympics?I can't think of one.