AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-03-08, 06:53   Link #61
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_FF View Post
There are some interesting titles that've already been introduced, like Ore no Imouto, Gosick, C^3, Mimizuku, etc. I bet they're great stuff to add to your collections.
Ah ok thanks.
I will check them out.
Old 2009-03-08, 12:48   Link #62
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

I wasn't into manga until the last couple of years because I felt it wasn't good for those of us who actually like to read. I've since altered my opinion somewhat and have become a fan of both certain manga titles and light novels. The light novels that drew my attention (mostly from others' recommendations and from anime adaptations) were:

Kadono Kouhei's Boogiepop series (was initially translated by Seven Seas and they subsequently dropped it...damned shame too)

The Kino no Tabi series (also begun and then dropped...irritating)

Twelve Kingdoms LN series (ongoing, picked up by Tokyopop) by Ono Fuyumi

Seirei no Moribito by Uehashi Nahoko

I have Gosick and regret that it was dropped here in the States.

and, of course, the Marimite light novels. I'm glad that this thread exists. I'm hoping to pick up on more light novel suggestions (my poor bookshelf will die from the strain).

Thanks again!

K
Old 2009-03-08, 18:30   Link #63
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Are Ore no Imouto and C^3 just moe titles? The art work seems to suggest so.

Edit: Mentioning of the Marimite novels has reminded me of a recent revelation. I’ve been thinking I might get into the light novels for this series in hopes that it's better than the anime (which I enjoy but don't love), and so I went searching to see how many volumes have been published, only to shockingly find that there are 30+ novels out. That's the highest amount of volumes for any light novel series I know, and it's still ongoing.

Last edited by Ryuou; 2009-03-08 at 18:52.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 18:56   Link #64
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り

Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
I'm not sure about Ore no Imouto, but C^3 is not only moe. Of course, there are some moe factors but it's just a part of the whole package. It also have battles,
and some gore. The story is rather dark, since it revolves around cursed tools.

Well, I had fun Ore no Imouto, although it seemed to be only a moe title. You may find number of comments saying that It was a bit different from the usual moe since
actual hate was there between the lead character and his younger sister. Also, in the first volume, there wasn't any romance ( actually, volume 2 didn't have much too) which makes this title different from other moe novels. Also, this novel was classified under Comedy and not Love-Comedy, so I guess it can't be helped that
there wasn't much (or any at all) romantic situations.

One thing's for sure; They're great titles and I had fun reading them.
Old 2009-03-08, 19:55   Link #65
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Ah, so this is where all the generic LN talks go. I am pleased to find this :P

... Maybe I should stop lurking in the Toradora, Regios and Index forums too much.

I first learned about light novels since the Haruhi Suzumiya series which basically made me acknowledge of such existence in my mind.

Then, I don't know why, but my interest in them is further awakened by the advent of Toradora!.

Right now in my heads there are three titles that linger inside my head, and has been of much interest for me lately although I only have a very bare idea of what they are all about based on summaries I can understand. These titles were found while on my visits to my local Kinokuniya store at the Japanese section.

Although I mentioned two out of the three below in Baka-Tsuki, I guess very few noticed that they were even there ^^;;

- ミスマルカ興国物語 (MISUMARUKA Monogatari)
A story about some sort of a war going on between a few fantasy-world countries (I can't remember how many), and the main character has just inherited the throne to his country - and, he has his sole loyal knightress with him. I can't make much about what the novels are about from the synopsis, but reviews proved positive so far.

- ミスティック・ミュージアム (Mystic Museum)
Summary: Dudley Linus(?) visited the British Museum to write some reports (an assignment for his studies maybe), while all of a sudden he met a mysterious girl which he gave her a name, Alda(?). The weird life story of Dudley and Alda begins after that...

Simply put, I'm in for this novel series because of the main heroine. If any of you can get what I mean then... yeah. Oh, by the way, I just got updated from an information from the author's blog: this series's third book will be out somewhere around the 1st of April - hey wait, April Fool's Day? And it's the final book too! Aww. Just when I thought I could wish for more than just 3 books ;3; oh well, I'll just look forward to its release.

- みずたまぱにっく。 This is MIZUTAMASHIRO!! (Mizutama Panic. This is MIZUTAMASHIRO!!)
Found this novel recently this week, and the title somewhat sparks and interest. This has been reviewed before on LightNovel.org.
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 22:00   Link #66
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

@ ken FF - Oh yeah, never mind about C^3, I remember reading the summary for it. But, so is Ore no Imouto an incest title?

I'm not exactly sure which novel was the first one I bought. I think it was Shakugan no Shana. But it was probably Suzumiya Haruhi that led me to get into light novels as I was reading the translations on Baka-Tsuki. So when I started to study Japanese at college I decided to start buying novels for the series that I really liked.

ミスマルカ興国物語 This seems interesting, but the picture gives off a slightly immature feel to it. I was expecting a somewhat dark feel, so that detracted from my image of the story a bit. Still seems interesting.
Old 2009-03-09, 04:27   Link #67
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り

Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
@ ken FF - Oh yeah, never mind about C^3, I remember reading the summary for it. But, so is Ore no Imouto an incest title?
No. n_n There are scenes of them getting closer as siblings, but without romantic meaning. Their conversations are hilarious^^ Just as imagine_broken said, the lead character's Tsukkomis are pawnage! XD

btw, I was able to get my hands on Toradora volume 10 and C^3 volume VI!! <3<3
too bad for Index 17, it was already sold out. Damn. :/ Maybe I'll try again tomorrow at the other bookshop nearby. (^^)b
Old 2009-03-09, 07:28   Link #68
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
btw, I was able to get my hands on Toradora volume 10 and C^3 volume VI!! <3<3
too bad for Index 17, it was already sold out. Damn. :/ Maybe I'll try again tomorrow at the other bookshop nearby. (^^)b
Please, oh please do spoil the contents of Index 17 when you get your hands on it for the eager people!
Old 2009-03-09, 07:43   Link #69
Tri-ring

I just finished reading Spice and the Wolf Vol.10, Koku no Tabibito(4th installment of the Moribito series),Onegai Twins light novel, Shin Kimagure Orange road, all 9 volumes of 9S series which I do not think anybody had mentioned before but is a very interesting SF adventure series.

I got Meg & Celon Vol3 and newly purchased Vol4 to finish.
Still waiting for Tenchi Muyo GPX vol.6 and Kami no Moribito to come out.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2009-03-09 at 08:04.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 23:32   Link #70
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

index 17 already come out? hope it will come out in my country soon >.<
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 06:35   Link #71
Imagine_broken536
level 5-5=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Please, oh please do spoil the contents of Index 17 when you get your hands on it for the eager people!
Just a reminder that To aru Majutsu no Index already have its Light Novel discussion Topic in To aru Majutsu no Index section. Like what I have mentioned earlier, those conversations should be done there.
Imagine_broken536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 07:38   Link #72
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine_broken536 View Post
Just a reminder that To aru Majutsu no Index already have its Light Novel discussion Topic in To aru Majutsu no Index section. Like what I have mentioned earlier, those conversations should be done there.
Acknowledged already.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-03-10, 15:18   Link #73
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
No. n_n There are scenes of them getting closer as siblings, but without romantic meaning. Their conversations are hilarious^^ Just as imagine_broken said, the lead character's Tsukkomis are pawnage! XD
Hm, oh ok. Sounds like an odd set up of a story to have as a novel though. Sounds more like a manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I just finished reading Spice and the Wolf Vol.10, Koku no Tabibito(4th installment of the Moribito series),Onegai Twins light novel, Shin Kimagure Orange road, all 9 volumes of 9S series which I do not think anybody had mentioned before but is a very interesting SF adventure series.
I also picked OtK vol X up a couple weeks ago (ordered through a bookstore). It'll be awhile before I get around to reading it though. I'm only almost finished with the first volume. Haha, I don't devote enough time to reading my novels. It's something I need to change. And I also didn't know Kimagure Orange Road had a novel. That isn't the base for the anime is it?
Old 2009-03-10, 20:26   Link #74
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Koku no Tabibito(4th installment of the Moribito series)...

Still waiting for Tenchi Muyo GPX vol.6 and Kami no Moribito to come out.
How do you like the Moribito series so far? I've only read the 1st novel and I like it but one can never know about a series.....did you pick it up at Amazon.co.jp?
Old 2009-03-10, 21:50   Link #75
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
How do you like the Moribito series so far? I've only read the 1st novel and I like it but one can never know about a series.....did you pick it up at Amazon.co.jp?
It has the same pace and feel as the first novel.
The second installment, Yami no Moribito was a treat because it's about Balsa revisiting her homeland and gives us more detailed backstory concerning the conspiracy and Jiguro's history.
Yume no moribito was soso but Koku no Tabibito was great since there was a more grander plot behind it which becomes the core to the following installments.
The stories with Moribito in the title is ones with Balsa as the main character and stories with Tabibito is ones with Chagumu as the lead.
Old 2009-03-11, 18:41   Link #76
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
It has the same pace and feel as the first novel.
The second installment, Yami no Moribito was a treat because it's about Balsa revisiting her homeland and gives us more detailed backstory concerning the conspiracy and Jiguro's history.
Yume no moribito was soso but Koku no Tabibito was great since there was a more grander plot behind it which becomes the core to the following installments.
The stories with Moribito in the title is ones with Balsa as the main character and stories with Tabibito is ones with Chagumu as the lead.
Hmm...that's good to know. Thanks for your observations! For those who didn't already know, Seirei no Moribito the LN is out in English and available through Amazon.com. Yami no Moribito will be available in English 2 May 09 and can be preordered. It would be good if people did pre-order so that there will be a chance of the other LNs being translated into English. Think I might pick up the English version when they become available just to compare. Thank you again for your help!
Old 2009-03-11, 20:49   Link #77
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
detailed backstory concerning the conspiracy and Jiguro's history
I wouldn't mind seeing this part turned into it's own story and anime.
Old 2009-03-12, 03:28   Link #78
asrielchase

Quote:
I love 9S! Great SF series, always finishes it in one go when a new volume comes out.
By the way do you know 9S is actually written by two people? A female Hayama, and a male Tohru...
Old 2009-03-12, 03:39   Link #79
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
I love 9S! Great SF series, always finishes it in one go when a new volume comes out.
By the way do you know 9S is actually written by two people? A female Hayama, and a male Tohru...
No I didn't.
The Sci-Fi part is probably mainly the male writer with the emotional part written by the female writer which makes sense since it's so diverse in terms of plot ideas and techno babble.
I also loved the 9SSS side stories which probably would not have possible without a female to give it a femine touch.
Old 2009-03-12, 03:47   Link #80
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
I also didn't know Kimagure Orange Road had a novel. That isn't the base for the anime is it?[/FONT][/COLOR]
The second movie is based on the first novel (or vis versa).
The second volume takes place right after the first and I haven't finished the third.
It's a twenty years old novel so it's completely out of date in terms of technology.

Tags
light novels