AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-13, 19:54   Link #2221
Father Hentai

I think it does not matter if she knows/does not know she is the cause of the attacks. In both cases it's a positive sideeffect for the fleet that she left.
Old 2010-11-13, 20:16   Link #2222
magnuskn

I think it does matter quite a bit, since it changes her motivations and the grade of responsibility quite a bit.
Old 2010-11-14, 07:33   Link #2223
Father Hentai

The problem with our opinions at this point is that chronologically it is not traceable as - correct mentioned - she gained this last memory after she left Frontier. A memory we can see and not assume.

But lets put this aside if we agree the Rankas leaving was a good idea at the end. In other peoples opinion.
Old 2010-11-14, 08:28   Link #2224
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
But lets put this aside if we agree the Rankas leaving was a good idea at the end. In other peoples opinion.
Well, I can agree that other people have this opinion.
Old 2010-11-14, 09:40   Link #2225
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Because Yot-Chan cannot let go of his hypothesis, although it totally lacks any standing in supported canon. At least to my best knowledge, and I am pretty damned good at remembering minutae of what happened in the series. It happens when you watched it about five times and specific episodes and scenes uncounted times more.
Again, you misrepresent my statement.
Old 2010-11-14, 09:55   Link #2226
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh my God, would you two get a room already?

Old 2010-11-14, 11:05   Link #2227
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Again, you misrepresent my statement.
Really? You mean you yourself reviving the topic a second time, after it died down some days ago, and again not being able to let it go does mean that you are not trying to push it? Sorry, but that doesn't fly. Your own behaviour speaks against you.

Also, where did I misrepresent your statement in the part you quoted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh my God, would you two get a room already?

Hey, I am just fighting against representing fictions as facts ( in fiction ^^ ). Also, I'd have to get a room for Yot-Chan, Father Hentai and justavisitor, and I don't like polygamy endings.
Old 2010-11-14, 11:54   Link #2228
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Now you're just being greedy and showing off a bit.

Old 2010-11-14, 12:00   Link #2229
magnuskn

Yeah, my Ranka-groupies are fa-bu-lo-us.
Old 2010-11-14, 15:26   Link #2230
justavisitor

I swear, I would become a die-hard Sheryl supporter in a heartbeat if being a Ranka fan means I would receive this kind of a treatment ....After all, this is just an anime series and I don't wanna make such a big sacrifice for an anime series

I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet

Last edited by justavisitor; 2010-11-14 at 16:37.
Old 2011-11-28, 13:45   Link #2231
teelatsuki

I want to ask something.

Everytime a discussion about Ranka's maturity or mental readiness arises a lot of people bring up her amnesia as the reason for it all.

If Ranka was a Kid (of around 7 years or so) and grow up for most of her life as Ranka Lee how come that she still didn't mature acordingly.

1.Your writing sucks.
2. Your reading sucks.
3. You have low self steem.

Next time try to argue with valid arguments, not throw a tantrum.
Old 2011-11-29, 06:48   Link #2232
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Nothing logical about that. Amnesia does not generally stunt mental growth - even more so if it happens at an early age, like in Ranka's case. You should stop trying to justify things with arguments pulled from air, you know?

Honestly, you should argue that Ranka's not mentally stunted - because, really, that sounds kinda harsh... Specially coming from a fan.

Old 2011-11-29, 07:44   Link #2233
magnuskn

I don't know if I am just dead tired from the SWTOR beta or if it's just general disinterest in taking on LMK in a serious discussion... but you guys got this issue, it seems. Go Beto, go Beto!
Old 2011-11-29, 11:42   Link #2234
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I think you're forgetting that Ozma and others around her considered her a child even as she grew older. Ozma kept her sheltered (in a girls' only academy no less) all the time. He treated her like she was still that child he rescued who needed help desperately. [/SIZE]
To be fair, whether or not she is treated like a kid or not should not hinder her from maturing, per se, or act more mature; amnesia, traumatic past or not. It's called growing up. Mentally stunted (...)? Doesn't mean that she could want to be more mature, from her own self. Alas, her 'resolutions' were badly timed, like it or not. (Movie Ranka is a great contrast, a bit too perfect, but still look at Movie!Ranka and can you still say that her growth is also stunted?)

And I personally find that she was treated like a kid from the others around her because she does act like a child. Not saying that Ozma doesn't dote too much on her, but still, cause and effect also works like that, if you wanna know...

And calling a character mentally stunted (when a great deal of people didn't even think Ranka is mentally stunted, that is) is not pointing out her flaw, but rather putting up a salt to a wound... Calling her spoiled/childish/rash/timid for the most of the early part of the series is what an example of putting up her flaw. Putting up like she is some fragile princess with disability when you don't exactly know to what extent her amnesia is, however, really made me wonder

Old 2011-11-29, 11:48   Link #2235
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

I think everyone is agreeing to disagree here from what i can see.

Last edited by JPZ; 2011-11-29 at 13:05.
Old 2011-11-29, 12:47   Link #2236
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, I don't even... yeah.

Old 2011-11-29, 15:28   Link #2237
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Yeah, I don't even... yeah.
And of course Sheryl just had to be in there somewhere. She just had to be part of a very irrelevant conversation.

When talking about Zentradis... but Sheryl!

When talking about Mecha... but Sheryl!

When talking about battles... but Sheryl!

Really now...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-29, 22:30   Link #2238
teelatsuki

I also was wondering since in Ozma's flashback her amnesia manifest itself replacing a good chunk of her past and translating it into her new life getting rid of the traumatic event.

If it was like that, as she grow up she should have believed herself to be Ranka Lee (but again it was mentioned that she had flashbacks to her past) and mature like that, but somehow all seems writen as if her only defining character trait is her amnesia.

Since I watched the second movie it become clear to me that it was probably Ranka's fault, since movie Ranka did resemble her age trough her actions, while series Ranka was childish to the very end.

I tried to blame Ozma but it didn't make much sence, since Ranka could have grow up regardless, specially since she surely had to stay alone a lot due to Ozma's job, even if she was sheltered by him, growing up alone should have made her develop some maturity, or that is my reasoning as to why I don't understand her being so childish.

As a funny story yesterday I talked about it to my friends and one of them screamed surprised:

"She is not twelve?"

It was extra funny because she was honestly surprised.

1.Your writing sucks.
2. Your reading sucks.
3. You have low self steem.

Next time try to argue with valid arguments, not throw a tantrum.
Old 2011-11-29, 22:51   Link #2239
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
As a funny story yesterday I talked about it to my friends and one of them screamed surprised:

"She is not twelve?"

It was extra funny because she was honestly surprised.
TBH, that's exactly what I thought the first time watching the series - which really made the Alto/Sheryl pairing a no-brainer since Ranka was a total loli. If anything, I found Ranka more likable before I realized she was supposed to be older.
Old 2011-11-29, 23:22   Link #2240
Darthtabby

What exactly are we even trying to argue here? That Ranka's amnesia shouldn't be used as an excuse for her behaviour?

I have to say I'm not keen on this topic. It seems like people are practically asking to start a confrontation.
Closed Thread