Notices

Old 2012-07-26, 15:51   Link #1
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

[2012] Cloud Atlas

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/cloudatlas/

Watch it in its full HD glory.

All I can say is:

WOW. Ambitious doesn't begin to describe it.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 16:16   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Is this the same Cloud Atlas written by David Mitchell? I remember enjoying The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet which was also written by that guy and Cloud Atlas has been on my radar for a while now. I better get round to reading it...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 21:57   Link #3
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, they're making the movie based on the book.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 22:22   Link #4
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Never heard of the book before, but that trailer definitely made me want to read it now. I'm guessing the movie is going to be told from 4-5 different perspectives?
Old 2012-07-27, 00:19   Link #5
Dragonkid11
A random-man

How am I suppose to know what greatness is contained in this movie when EVERY SINGLE TRAILER GET BLOCKED ON YOUTUBE......

WHY WOULD YOU BLOCK TRAILER?!!?!?
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 06:20   Link #6
Bambasa
Lazy to the extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
How am I suppose to know what greatness is contained in this movie when EVERY SINGLE TRAILER GET BLOCKED ON YOUTUBE......

WHY WOULD YOU BLOCK TRAILER?!!?!?
Well, I just watched it on Youtube, though. No problem there.
Bambasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 07:29   Link #7
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambasa View Post
Well, I just watched it on Youtube, though. No problem there.
Days ago there was a lot of problem

Whatever,now that I finally managed to watch the trailer,it's very confusing though...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 02:17   Link #8
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

I'm kind of sad this movie didn't get much attention! Too bad it's doing quite poorly in the box office. Oh well, here's the trailer on Youtube if you couldn't open the Apple webpage:

So, did anyone else get the chance to catch this movie? What did you think?
Wooowww. Where to begin?

Over the weekend, I went with some friends to the movies without really knowing which movie to watch. We went with this one on a whim after I remembered watching the trailer here a while ago! We were a little hesitant reading some of the mixed reviews and the almost 3 hour run time at first, but I'm glad I talked everyone into it. Ambitious? Highly. Execution? Pretty good with what it had to work with. Overall this was an excellent film that blew me away right from the get-go. I was expecting artsy and pretentious, but what I got instead was a amalgamation of intricately weaved plots that come together to form.... Well, probably the movie with the most "heart and soul" I've ever seen.

Though, a common complaint is that it was pretty confusing (and some of the side-character acting). For that reason, I like how this review puts it: "'Cloud Atlas' either a middle finger or a warm hug." If you do decide to watch this movie, I'd recommenced investing a lot of thought and examination to all the details and themes, or you'd find yourself extremely lost like one of my friends did when getting up to use the bathroom. I ordered the book yesterday, so hopefully that can clear up a little more for me as well.

The soundtrack was pretty awesome too! And don't get me started on the makeup, I couldn't believe some of the credits when I saw them. Overall, this movie just gave me so many feels.... haha. I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say I walked out of the theater in awe wanting to give some random person a hug. I doubt we'll be getting a movie like this in a long time, so I really appreciate the uniqueness and bravery of it all.

Last edited by Revelation; 2012-11-07 at 02:41.
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 02:28   Link #9
james0246

Cloud Atlas is a beautifully paced (the transitions were at times sublime), nicely directed and highly ambitious film, but sadly also a woefully simplistic film. If it had been released just a few years ago Cloud Atlas would have been seen as one of the major adult dramas of the year, but in the past few years there has been a veritable deluge of highly competent mature stories, and Cloud Atlas has sadly been lost amongst the others simply because it is not good enough to escape it's relatively simplistic storyline. Still, the acting is highly effective, even downright surprising at times, and it was an absolute delight to see some of these characters grow from incarnation to incarnation (or devolve as the case may be for the various characters Hugo Weaving and Hugh Grant play). This is a very solid, if simplistic, picture beautifully told even if somewhat substance-less at times. Still, I highly recommend the feature for anyone looking for adventurous cinema; this is a quality product deserving of a large audience. 76/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 13:30   Link #10
sa547
*Author

Damn, I'm stunned by the trailer.

Suddenly I'm reminded of the final episode of Madoka.
Old 2012-11-07, 13:34   Link #11
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Cloud Atlas is a beautifully paced (the transitions were at times sublime), nicely directed and highly ambitious film, but sadly also a woefully simplistic film. If it had been released just a few years ago Cloud Atlas would have been seen as one of the major adult dramas of the year, but in the past few years there has been a veritable deluge of highly competent mature stories, and Cloud Atlas has sadly been lost amongst the others simply because it is not good enough to escape it's relatively simplistic storyline. Still, the acting is highly effective, even downright surprising at times, and it was an absolute delight to see some of these characters grow from incarnation to incarnation (or devolve as the case may be for the various characters Hugo Weaving and Hugh Grant play). This is a very solid, if simplistic, picture beautifully told even if somewhat substance-less at times. Still, I highly recommend the feature for anyone looking for adventurous cinema; this is a quality product deserving of a large audience. 76/100.
Hm, I might give it a try .. T.Hanks was the initial selling point for me but hadn't really followed this due to the lack of coverage..

Cannot predict now
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 14:00   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I can't say I'm impressed by the trailer. From the looks of it, they seem to make a lot of changes from the book (I got round to reading it) most notably the Sonmi and Frobisher parts. I wonder if they stay true to a big theme in the book about the dangers of plutocracy and corporatism.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 14:49   Link #13
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I can't say I'm impressed by the trailer. From the looks of it, they seem to make a lot of changes from the book (I got round to reading it) most notably the Sonmi and Frobisher parts. I wonder if they stay true to a big theme in the book about the dangers of plutocracy and corporatism.
It's there in every vignette/story. I read the novel 8 years ago, so my memory is a little spotty on the details, but the core story and themes are there. Some things are changed, and others lack depth, but the story is there.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 15:19   Link #14
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

If this really is another gem by Wachowski Duo, I’ll definitely watch it (no matter how many critics bashed it). I really enjoy Wachowski’s previous box-office-bomb, Speed Racer. That one was a well-made movie which stylistically stays true to its source and has great execution. Sometimes, the critics just don’t understand certain things.
Old 2012-11-07, 15:25   Link #15
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I can't say I'm impressed by the trailer.
I'm not either. The thumbnail was intriguing, but as I watched the trailer, I realized that unless the movie was six hours long, there was no way it would be coherent at all.
Old 2012-11-08, 09:10   Link #16
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

this just looks like a bunch of trailers thrown together, obviously its not the case and there fore I am very much intrigued about this movie, have always been a big fan of tom hanks since his burbs days but I'm a bit skeptical of Halle Berry she's a love her or hate her actress ad I'm a swaying to the hate side on her person.
Old 2012-11-08, 18:37   Link #17
Alchemist007
*Author

Complex in it's approach but the down and dirty is actually not that epic. I guess that's to say it's epically told but that's it. Enjoyable film.