AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-28, 17:43   Link #1
God of Peace

I'm looking for a mature action/adventure anime like...

... Cowboy bebop. I've really enjoyed the series and movie (my favourite anime ever). It has class, style, emotion, story, characters and an animation style that is very beautiful and unique. I've already seen Gungrave, Trigun, Samurai champloo, Baccano! and Darker than black and they all have parts that resemble CB but still can't quite capture it. I was wondering if any of you guys can help, thanks.

God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. We cannot learn without pain. Because a man of pleasure is also a man of pains.
Old 2010-08-28, 19:31   Link #2
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls

Berserk

Speed Grapher

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-08-28, 21:04   Link #3
Rickketik

Quality wise, there no Anime on the same level as Cowboy Bebop. And the road Anime seems to be heading towards.. don't expect anything anytime soon...

There really is no Anime that comes close to Bebop.. I'm afraid you'll have to lower your expectations.
Old 2010-08-28, 23:13   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Wrong Again...Look no further than Michiko E Hatchin...

It's the only anime I've watched (Even morso than Champloo) that has that familiar episodic tone, with the emphasis on the journey of the main two characters...Has crazy good animation at times (Settings very similar to some found in Bebop), and a good mix of smooth and hyper bombastic musical tracks that accentuates it's themes...Totally stylistic in nature, with a very emotional storyline involving an absolutely beautiful on-the-run convict trying to reunite a young girl with her father who was the love of her life...But don't let the smooth taste fool you, there's massive amounts of crisp, detailed action sequences and hardcore villain characters, yet it's a beautiful journey...

Also it has one of the coolest, jazz-inspired opening music sequences for an anime since Cowboy Bebop (Bebop's opening is one of the best of alltime though)...Hell I'm about to watch it again since reading my suggestion^^...

Spoiler for This picture kinda says it all...:

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2010-08-28 at 23:24.
Old 2010-08-29, 02:32   Link #5
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Peace View Post
... Cowboy bebop. I've really enjoyed the series and movie (my favourite anime ever). It has class, style, emotion, story, characters and an animation style that is very beautiful and unique. I've already seen Gungrave, Trigun, Samurai champloo, Baccano! and Darker than black and they all have parts that resemble CB but still can't quite capture it. I was wondering if any of you guys can help, thanks.
If Cowboy Bebop is already the king of animes of that style why look for something that does the exact same thing as well?

I recommend trying something a little different. One idea would be Ergo Proxy.
Old 2010-08-29, 04:19   Link #6
Camus

Can't believe nobody has said Samurai Champloo. I believe they are from the same creators.

edit: dam I need to learn to read. Ghost in a Shell would be ok i guess. Pretty much a lot of your action anime that are geared for an older audience have a lot of those elements.
Old 2010-08-29, 04:21   Link #7
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camus View Post
Can't believe nobody has said Samurai Champloo. I belive they are from the same creators.
Read the OP post
Old 2010-08-29, 08:02   Link #8
Rickketik

oh wow like wingdarkness said Michiko E Hatchin is good, you might want to check it out.. it's just I kinda.. forgot about it... And like wingdarkness said it has some good stuff in common with Bebop + it's more character driven then something like Champloo and it's made by the same studio as Champloo en Ergo Proxy.

If you have already seen Champloo, Baccano and DTB and you think they are still not as good as bebop, then I doubt this one will change your opinion And with all due respect to wingdarkness, it's absolutely not of the same caliber, however this of course is just my opinion but you might think other wise so check it out.

Quote:
If Cowboy Bebop is already the king of animes of that style why look for something that does the exact same thing as well?
Well, I don't think he looking for something that has the same style. He is asking for something of the same caliber and the same class as Bebop. But there really is nothing like it.

Ergo Proxy is a good one. it's more dark/sifi then action adventure but you might like it.
Speed Grapher is another good one. The main character has one of the most kick ass "weapons" ever

Last edited by Rickketik; 2010-08-29 at 12:01.
Old 2010-08-29, 08:11   Link #9
Irkalla
I asked for this

What has already been said

+Gankutsuou, though it's not really action, more of an adventure, but with great unique style and characters. Loosely based on the Count of Monte Cristo book, just that it's far more artsy and sci-fi in nature.

And Monster of course, again, more of an adventure in nature, but definitely a must watch.
Old 2010-08-29, 11:14   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickketik
If you have already seen Champloo, Baccano and DTB and you think they are still not as good as bebop, then I doubt this one will change your opinion And with all due respect to wingdarkness, it's absolutely not of the same caliber, however this of course is just my opinion but you might think other wise so check it out.
It's not Cowboy Bebop (Nothing truly is), it's just the closest thing I've ever watched to employ that similar spirit...I've seen every suggestion made on this page, and none of them (save for Champloo) is even in the same ballpark as Bebop (Darker than Black? Ergo Proxy? Speed Grapher? Can't see it)....Mitchiko E. Hatchin may not be rounding home, but it's in the batters' box...
Old 2010-08-29, 14:19   Link #11
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Sorry I disagree. Ergo Proxy is in the same ballpark. I also think an anime like Texhnolyze is as well, but many don't have the patience for that anime and that one strays a little too much from the OP's request.

One thing people fail to realize about Cowboy Bebop, though it is fantastic, is it does not really take chances. It is an anime that plays it safe. That's why I will never be able to consider it THE BEST anime EVER, but I can still consider it top top tier.
Old 2010-08-29, 17:15   Link #12
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
One thing people fail to realize about Cowboy Bebop, though it is fantastic, is it does not really take chances. It is an anime that plays it safe. That's why I will never be able to consider it THE BEST anime EVER, but I can still consider it top top tier.
Sure you don't consider it the best anime because it 'plays safe' is fine, because that's your personal opinion, though that's not the same for everyone. I'm just a little bit offended by your first line, saying that people who do class this show as one of the best fail to realize that it plays safe. A lot of people prefer a show that plays safe, it's just personal opinion, and you should be able to accept that.

So i'm staying on topic, i'll recommend Outlaw Star. It's not exactly the same as Cowboy Bebop because heck, not a lot is, though it does share quite a few of the same themes, and can be enjoyed just as much.
Old 2010-08-29, 18:05   Link #13
Patch&Quilt

Juuni Kokuki
Old 2010-08-29, 20:05   Link #14
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner
Sorry I disagree. Ergo Proxy is in the same ballpark...

One thing people fail to realize about Cowboy Bebop, though it is fantastic, is it does not really take chances....
Sorry man, but Ergo Proxy isn't in the same galaxy let alone ballpark as Cowboy Bebop...It's completely enigmatic, melancholy and non-sequitur in nature (Not mention monotone, when CB is ULTRAVISION in comparison)...Now I'll give the dystopian world and journey aspect, but nothing else...Ergo Proxy has more in common with BIG O (Yes, that BIG-O!) than anything bebop...Plus I disagree with your overall assessment of bebop which makes your suggestion even more puzzling...What I fail to realize?? Ah to be 18 again^^...
Old 2010-08-29, 22:16   Link #15
Raine721

Black Lagoon, enough said!!
Old 2010-08-29, 22:24   Link #16
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Sorry man, but Ergo Proxy isn't in the same galaxy let alone ballpark as Cowboy Bebop...It's completely enigmatic, melancholy and non-sequitur in nature (Not mention monotone, when CB is ULTRAVISION in comparison)...Now I'll give the dystopian world and journey aspect, but nothing else...Ergo Proxy has more in common with BIG O (Yes, that BIG-O!) than anything bebop...Plus I disagree with your overall assessment of bebop which makes your suggestion even more puzzling...What I fail to realize?? Ah to be 18 again^^...
Sorry I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were talking about the quality of the show, but you were actually talking about the nature of the show, in which case I agree, but that's why I said in my first post that it was something a little bit different since I cannot see an anime even close to as good (Besides Samurai Champloo) as Bebop at what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Sure you don't consider it the best anime because it 'plays safe' is fine, because that's your personal opinion, though that's not the same for everyone. I'm just a little bit offended by your first line, saying that people who do class this show as one of the best fail to realize that it plays safe. A lot of people prefer a show that plays safe, it's just personal opinion, and you should be able to accept that.

So i'm staying on topic, i'll recommend Outlaw Star. It's not exactly the same as Cowboy Bebop because heck, not a lot is, though it does share quite a few of the same themes, and can be enjoyed just as much.
Did I say all? I just said people. Don't misinterpret me. A general statement should not be misconstrued to be applied to everyone.

=======

Alright, I will second Outlaw Star, but it is definitely not as good as Cowboy Bebop.
Old 2010-08-29, 22:48   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Sorry I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were talking about the quality of the show, but you were actually talking about the nature of the show, in which case I agree, but that's why I said in my first post that it was something a little bit different since I cannot see an anime even close to as good (Besides Samurai Champloo) as Bebop at what it does.
That's OK, I actually was obsessed with Ergo Proxy in pre-production thinking it might wind up being one of the greatest animes I'd ever watched...While it certainly wasn't bad, it totally failed to reach the potential I had for it...It also was totally mischaracterized before it aired...Which I guess was the point, because if I knew what an enigmatic mindf*ck it was going to be (As opposed to psycological action-thriller as it had been presented) I would have tempered my expectations...I mean think about the "Game-show" episode, I mean WTF??

I kinda feel the same way to a lesser extent about Darker Than Black...SO I kinda get this kneejerk reaction when I hear people suggest these shows in the same class as Cowboy Bebop, LOL and don't get me started on Black Lagoon which shares nothing with Bebop in spirit yet they put the Bebop characters on the logo like their similar shows...

So other than Samurai Champloo, there's nothing really close to suggest (Because in addition to tone, these shows involve Genre-bending)...Mitchiko E Hatchin doesn't bend genres on the same level, but it uses some of the same tonal effects and visual designs..Along with the emotional journey (where the journey is emphasized over the conclusion like the other 2 shows), I think it's the closest thing out there that can be suggested for Bebop...
Old 2010-08-30, 01:11   Link #18
NightSamurai

It has been a few years since I last saw Cowboy Bebop so I ask you to bear with me, but Mars Daybreak comes to mind when I think of something similar to CB, not quite at the same level but I think we have established that nothing really is. A laid-back main character and a passionate female lead tempered by a level-headed captain. Obviously the settings and style are different but both gave me a similar "feel."
Old 2010-08-30, 03:40   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Did I say all? I just said people.
What's the difference? My point still stands either way.

& i'll second Mars Daybreak.
Old 2010-08-30, 05:40   Link #20
God of Peace

Guys, thanks for the feedback. There are great suggestions. Also, sorry for not mentioning this but I'm already reading the Berserk manga, already seen Outlaw star, black lagoon, watched a bit of Ergo proxy (and TBH it kinda turned me off).

Michiko E hatchin looks like what I kinda want; a mature, action/adventure with cool character and even cooler music. One of the things I love about Cowboy bebop is it's execellent soundtrack and it's ability to attract a a person who doesn't usually watch anime or a lot of it anyway (like me). Any more suggestions?

God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. We cannot learn without pain. Because a man of pleasure is also a man of pains.
Closed Thread