AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-06-08, 14:25   Link #41
CupORamen
Retired Fansubber
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkT View Post
(I'm a sharpening freak, sue me)
Nothing wrong with sharpening...but that's gonna hurt you when it comes to compression time if you sharpen too much...sharp edges tend to collect "grain"...
CupORamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 14:29   Link #42
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukalover View Post
A sample script and the errors you get might prove useful to help you. If you want help that is.
Heh... I may have to do a bit of digging on my hard drive to find the script. I'll probably create a new one. It's been a while since I've used RemoveGrain. If I can't find it or replicate the error, I'll let you know.
Old 2007-06-08, 14:37   Link #43
DarkT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tmeatwad View Post
Nothing wrong with sharpening...but that's gonna hurt you when it comes to compression time ...
No it's not - it's gonna hurt the people who download the release, WHICH HAS A BITRATE OF 1400 Hehehehehehe - in this day and age they should have hig HDDs and super fast internet anyway >.>... <.< hhehehe...

Well, actually I dunno if 1400 is such a high bitrate... most of my releases were 768x432 - I'm still a newbie in all of this... But I figured, 22 minutes taking ~230mb is completly ok nowadays... Episodes took 175mb and some still take some years back(to fit it nicely to a CD) - but nowadays tehre's dvds and big HDDS... True - the whole XYZ.264 thingy was supposed to make it possible to have an even smaller size... But... Meh, what do I know? I just do what feels right .
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 14:42   Link #44
CupORamen
Retired Fansubber
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
No it's not - it's gonna hurt the people who download the release, WHICH HAS A BITRATE OF 1400 Hehehehehehe - in this day and age they should have hig HDDs and super fast internet anyway >.>... <.< hhehehe...

Well, actually I dunno if 1400 is such a high bitrate... most of my releases were 768x432 - I'm still a newbie in all of this... But I figured, 22 minutes taking ~230mb is completly ok nowadays... Episodes took 175mb and some still take some years back(to fit it nicely to a CD) - but nowadays tehre's dvds and big HDDS... True - the whole XYZ.264 thingy was supposed to make it possible to have an even smaller size... But... Meh, what do I know? I just do what feels right .
Last I checked the popular size was 172MB so that 26 episodes would fit on a DVD-R nicely ! At 230MB you should at least have 856x480 (I guess that depends on your raw and the color scheme of the show though...). I've done some size over quantity releases before, but that was back when codecs weren't so good, nowadays IMO it's best to do 172MB (unless it's a pure digital source and/or HD).
CupORamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 14:50   Link #45
DarkT
Banned

Meh, I did some calculations in the past, and if you want a really sweet 16:9, these are the resolutions to use:

16:9

mod16: 512x288 (x32)
mod4: 576x324 (x36)
mod8: 640x360 (x40)
mod4: 704x396 (x44)
mod16: 768x432 (x48)
mod4: 832x468 (x52)
mod8: 896x504 (x56)
mod4: 960x540 (x60)
mod16: 1024x576 (x64)

Hence 768x432, I mean, who ever used that resolution?! mostly it's like 704x396 or something like that - but then you sacrafice the perfect 16:9 - which - creates a suuuuper tiny distortion which nobody will ever notice - BUT... To me... Personally, I'd feel dirty after that... I dunno - I can't explain it... I'd just feel like I cheated or something... Which isn't a BAD thing, but anyway - I avoid it... So for me it's either 768 or 1024...
Old 2007-06-08, 15:25   Link #46
emptyeighty

Quote:
Meh, I did some calculations in the past, and if you want a really sweet 16:9, these are the resolutions to use:

16:9

mod16: 512x288 (x32)
mod4: 576x324 (x36)
mod8: 640x360 (x40)
mod4: 704x396 (x44)
mod16: 768x432 (x48)
mod4: 832x468 (x52)
mod8: 896x504 (x56)
mod4: 960x540 (x60)
mod16: 1024x576 (x64)

Hence 768x432, I mean, who ever used that resolution?! mostly it's like 704x396 or something like that - but then you sacrafice the perfect 16:9 - which - creates a suuuuper tiny distortion which nobody will ever notice - BUT... To me... Personally, I'd feel dirty after that... I dunno - I can't explain it... I'd just feel like I cheated or something... Which isn't a BAD thing, but anyway - I avoid it... So for me it's either 768 or 1024...
Related discussion which should put your cheating mind at ease.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 15:32   Link #47
DarkT
Banned

It doesn't - infact, it made it worse(just kidding, I have read that thread liek 2 days ago - when I signed up - I'v read like 20 cool threads hehehe) - see, it's true that it's a "small" thingy, or like it's said here:

"Well, you do not need a final resolution that is exactly 16:9 to be accurate. This is only true if you blatantly resize 704x396->704x400, you have introduced a very small AR error. However encoding to a resolution that is is not exactly 16:9 does not necessarily mean you have introduced an error."

Yes, you COULD use crop - but ain't taht even more cheating? You're killing somethign which you could have preserved! That's just hentai...
Old 2007-06-08, 16:00   Link #48
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Did you actually read the linked thread? You're preserving a "perfect 16:9" aspect ratio that DOES NOT EVEN EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE and even if it did, the capper already cropped for you and hence it's already "distorted".
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 16:16   Link #49
DarkT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Did you actually read the linked thread? You're preserving a "perfect 16:9" aspect ratio that DOES NOT EVEN EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE and even if it did, the capper already cropped for you and hence it's already "distorted".
That's SUCH a negative way to look at it, it's like, I'm atleast looking at it like an OPTIMIST!

>.>
<.<

Seriously though, I did read that thread. And actually, now that I think about it - I suppose it really doesn't exist since like, mostly we get 704x480, right? Where as the tv 4:3 is 720x480, so BAM! 16 pixels got capped... Hmmm, sux to be them... but then, to make it all better you'd need to do 480-10.5 or something like that(two wrongs don't make it right yo')(tv pixels being different shape and all that) - to return to TV 4:3 aspect ratio... And THEN... Oh what a headache - I don't even know what I'm talking about any longer... *sigh*

I'll just look at it as if I'm doing less of a distortion/loss then there already is >.>.
Old 2007-06-08, 16:34   Link #50
TheFluff

Nope, you didn't read the thread. Or if you did, you didn't understand it. Try again. Also read this page until your brain starts to bleed.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-06-08, 16:35   Link #51
Starks
*Scanlator

DarkT, were you by any chance ever a part of Ayu? (just wondering)
Old 2007-06-08, 16:41   Link #52
TheFluff

Quote:
FF/FB/FBF/FBFE/FFE - scripts I created for FreezeFraming Berserk - if you're knew you might not know of FreezeFrame(a,b,c) where a=replace starting this frame, b = replace endin this frame and c=the frame to replace a,b with - sometimes you'll notice a certain pattern always occuring - so you'll want to write your own tiny script which will automatically replace frames according to the pattern.
YATTA can do this for you (see the little used B switch function).

Old 2007-06-08, 17:00   Link #53
DarkT
Banned

Quote:
Nope, you didn't read the thread. Or if you did, you didn't understand it. Try again. Also read this page until your brain starts to bleed.
Awww, you didn't have to say that in such a mean way , if I said I've read it then I have read it - period - maybe I skipped a post or two(was I tired?) - or maybe it was super-high-night-time and I "speed-read" through it - whatever it is, I don't really remember, but I did read that thread, the information I gathered from it - the interesting one for me was about how wether what you have is more 16 or not it will stretch it to that or something along those lines - because it has something to do with how it takes "blocks" - don't remember - anyway... That's off the point .

As to the link you gave - I actually have it - I've tryed reading it in the past, and didn't get it - then a friend told me it's all noobish-bullshit(though I doubt that) - but anyway, too much technical stuff, maybe once I know more - not now - but thanks anyway.

"DarkT, were you by any chance ever a part of Ayu? (just wondering)"

Nope, not in any US group, just Israeli ones .

"YATTA can do this for you (see the little used B switch function)."

YATTA probably can, but I have YATTA-phobia , it's the one program I prefer not to use , besides, it's no biggy - with my custom scripts I reduce the work by like twice... so it only needs extra... I dunno ~2 hours per episode (each episode needs ~400 FF lines using the custom scripts... Otherwise it needs twice as much).
Old 2007-06-08, 20:58   Link #54
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
@Starks: I'm psychic. Remove the SSE3 versions from your computer, and maybe the SSE2 ones as well.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 21:12   Link #55
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
YATTA can do this for you (see the little used B switch function).
B Switch was done away with in 6-122. Try Pattern is the new super button to press.
Old 2007-06-08, 21:15   Link #56
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
@Starks: I'm psychic. Remove the SSE3 versions from your computer, and maybe the SSE2 ones as well.
You get a cookie.
Old 2007-06-11, 21:19   Link #57
Starks
*Scanlator

BTW, what are some bare minimum filters you guys use on easy VOB (after IVTC) sources?

I use deen and undot.
Old 2007-06-11, 21:25   Link #58
DarkT
Banned

Prolly silly, but I use Undot/Deblock in most of my scripts, and then from here it varies, but mostly I use:

Convolution3d
vmtoon+warpsharp(say NO to asharp)+limitedsharpenfaster
tweak
Gradfun2db(2)(so that I can look at a more appealing image, mostly I'll remove it from the encoding script).

That's a list of my "most common"... Not that I have much experience, mind you .
Old 2007-06-11, 21:33   Link #59
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Prolly silly, but I use Undot/Deblock in most of my scripts, and then from here it varies, but mostly I use:

Convolution3d
vmtoon+warpsharp(say NO to asharp)+limitedsharpenfaster
tweak
Gradfun2db(2)(so that I can look at a more appealing image, mostly I'll remove it from the encoding script).

That's a list of my "most common"... Not that I have much experience, mind you .
Undot vs RemoveGrain

Which do you prefer and why?
Old 2007-06-12, 00:39   Link #60
Zanejin
*Fansubber

According to RemoveGrain's manual, RemoveGrain(mode=1) is equivalent to Undot(). However, the SSE2 and SSE3 versions of the RemoveGrain DLL are "significantly faster" than Undot. Therefore, because of both speed and flexibility, I use RemoveGrain.