AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 58 42.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 34.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 16.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-01, 13:13   Link #161
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
That was also explained in anime but through those Japanese texts.
Ah, I never pause to read that stuff.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:21   Link #162
zato_1one

The different is that monkey's paw will grant any wish. No matter what method. It will eventually make the wish come true. But for rainy devil, it can grant only a negative wish. If the wish doesn't have any negative thought, it can't be fulfilled. For example, the rainy devil couldn't solve Senjougahara's problem even if Kanbaru wished for it. Because there was no negative or malice side of that wish.
Old 2009-09-01, 13:22   Link #163
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Hitagi's joke about the flood and fire just meant that she was planning to set fire to Kanbaru's house and I guess the flood is from the firefighters raining water onto it.

Heh! So that was just a joke... that line was bugging me for quite a while now... I thought that there was a deeper meaning to it... but I still think she'll do just that if she ever found out what Kanburu did to Ararararagi (Shitsurei, kamimashita!) at the rail tracks... FIRE!!!
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:28   Link #164
Xacual

Quote:
The different is that monkey's paw will grant any wish. No matter what method. It will eventually make the wish come true. But for rainy devil, it can grant only a negative wish. If the wish doesn't have any negative thought, it can't be fulfilled. For example, the rainy devil couldn't solve Senjougahara's problem even if Kanbaru wished for it. Because there was no negative or malice side of that wish.
I'm pretty sure Oshino said that if Kanbaru had just wished to be faster, that was all that would have happened, but thats not what she wished for, she wished to hurt her classmates.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:32   Link #165
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
The monkey's paw was just Kanbaru's mistaken interpretation of her Kaii. She found it when she was in grade school if I remember right. The anime left out the comprehensive explanation.
Spoiler for explaination of rainy devil:
Hmm... that doesn't quite answer my question. The rainy devil was the oddity that Kanbaru encountered, while the monkey paw was the artefact she inherited from her parents. The wish-giving properties of either entity were just that, properties specific only to them. My query, though, is this: What caused Kanbaru to encounter the devil?

Was the devil residing inside the paw? Or, was it like Senjougahara's crab, always present and yet not present at the same time? What was it, specifically, about Kanbaru's condition that attracted the devil to her?

Also, what's so special about a "rainy devil" that allowed Oshino to guess immediately that it was the oddity that possessed Kanbaru?

In other words, what's the link between the devil, the paw and Kanbaru?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:35   Link #166
Xacual

No, she thought it was a monkey paw, when in actuality it was a rainy devil.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:45   Link #167
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I'm pretty sure Oshino said that if Kanbaru had just wished to be faster, that was all that would have happened, but thats not what she wished for, she wished to hurt her classmates.
From what I understand, she really wished to be faster. But in her subconscious, she hated her classmates and wanted to hurt them. Rainy devil took that negative thought as a wish.
Old 2009-09-01, 14:01   Link #168
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Ah, I never pause to read that stuff.
I watch the episode on my PS3 with the PS3 Media Server, so my finger is on the pause button the entire episode. Its impossible to read it all without pausing.
Old 2009-09-01, 14:03   Link #169
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I don't read etheir but with virtual dub i think you can maybe lol
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 14:18   Link #170
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
No, she thought it was a monkey paw, when in actuality it was a rainy devil.
But why a rainy devil? It could have been any other devil in mythology, from Asmodeus to Mammon or, more likely, Amon, the demon of wrath.

Why "rainy"? What does rain have to do with Kanbaru's condition? Why her association with water?

Bear in mind that every oddity revealed so far is based on a pun linked somehow to a character's name or background. In this sense, I'm not seeing how the rainy devil is linked to Kanbaru at all.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 15:04   Link #171
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
But why a rainy devil? It could have been any other devil in mythology, from Asmodeus to Mammon or, more likely, Amon, the demon of wrath.

Why "rainy"? What does rain have to do with Kanbaru's condition? Why her association with water?

Bear in mind that every oddity revealed so far is based on a pun linked somehow to a character's name or background. In this sense, I'm not seeing how the rainy devil is linked to Kanbaru at all.
Ever thought that the author of these stories just came up with a random name just to screw with you guys.

I say it is a red herring.

He's been messing with standard Manga/Anime "tropes" so far knowing how canon focused and detail fetish you people are.

Start a story in the middle, then create a prequel, then create a sequel... GENIUS !
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 15:13   Link #172
aulzon

I think the Rainy Devil is probably just plain as the name seems. A lesser devil that makes the user wear a raincoat, hence the Rainy part of the name.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 15:18   Link #173
Reekon

Quote:
Maybe because the author wanted to justify the use of the raincoat?

Yeah I think he's messing with us. Maybe he just "needed" to use a raincoat to hide Kanbaru's face during her attacks.

Possible thought process:
- So let's use a raincoat to hide Kanbaru's face.
- If I use a raincoat, then I better relate it to the oddity.
- Ah-hah! Let's call the oddity "rainy devil".

Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 15:25   Link #174
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Personally, I'm curious who he fought with in the fast-forward flashback shown in Ep1. He was depicted carrying a huge upside-down crucifix (suggesting what, I wonder? That he's the anti-Christ? More accurately, though, that's the Cross of St Peter he wears as earrings), facing down a sinister, cloaked figure, with poor Araragi caught in the middle.
I remembered some things about that and Saint Peter, so I checked some books, and apparently it's not. (I need to watch the ep1 again though; to see if the christ is on this big cross)

Now we don't know a lot of things about Oshino. Does he work alone for example? Or for the church?

These reversed crosses clearly points out at saint peter. Maybe there are clues in prayers or the litanie of saint peter. But now I don't feel like searching why the author used it (lazy )
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 15:27   Link #175
Clarste
Human

Quote:
From what I understand, she really wished to be faster. But in her subconscious, she hated her classmates and wanted to hurt them. Rainy devil took that negative thought as a wish.
It's not just that. It's about why she wanted to be faster. She hated her classmates because they made fun of her and wanted to show them up by winning the footrace. The devil just cut out the indirect part of the wish and beat them up directly. Her wish had always involved an element of "defeating" her classmates out of hatred. It's not like it just granted a random subconscious wish for no reason.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 16:03   Link #176
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
I remembered some things about that and Saint Peter, so I checked some books, and apparently it's not. (I need to watch the ep1 again though; to see if the christ is on this big cross)

Now we don't know a lot of things about Oshino. Does he work alone for example? Or for the church?

These reversed crosses clearly points out at saint peter. Maybe there are clues in prayers or the litanie of saint peter. But now I don't feel like searching why the author used it (lazy )
LOL

Man you guys are really trying adsorb all the details huh ?
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 16:10   Link #177
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Just saw the episode. This was my favorite episode so far in the series. Araragi going so far to help someone and Senjougahara at the end was great.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Old 2009-09-01, 19:08   Link #178
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
LOL

Man you guys are really trying adsorb all the details huh ?
!
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 19:13   Link #179
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
I felt the same way. The raincoat was a link. The monkey was a link.

It's a case of finding another demon that could cause a mistaken identity with your 'run of the mill' cursed Monkey's Paw.

I wonder if there is some 'monkey in the rain' type demon mythology. Kinda like 'gorillas in the mist' (^_-)

Hmm.. Google says, "definitely maybe." Aftendeamon, first identified by Karl Schlesier in 1959. Ape/Monkey Demon identified as a rain god based on similarities to the Mesoamerican rain deity Tlaloc. It has a military aspect and has the same running stance seen in warrior representations.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sjB...0demon&f=false

I haven't checked, but in my first sub it's spelled Rainey. Secret Window tribute to match the Patton tribute?
Old 2009-09-01, 21:06   Link #180
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the explanation goes like this:

The Monkey's Paw is a Machiavellian entity that grants one's wish, sometimes in an unexpected and evil method. On the other hand, the Rainey Devil peers deep down into the subconscious desires of the user, and grants what he or she really wants.

The whole episode talks about that there's always something left unsaid in every wording of a wish—something deep down—a darker desire reflecting what the wish really means. When Kanbaru wished to be the 'fastest' runner in her team, the arm beat up her competitors instead. It was not that she didn't want to be the fastest, but rather she wanted to be the fastest because she hated those four kids who have been teasing her and wanted them to pay.

The episode implies that she wishes for her and Senjougahara to get back together again—most likely in a romantic fashion this time around—but the other hidden side of her wish consists of her anger and resentment towards Araragi, whom Senjougahara is now involved with. In other words, deep down inside what she really desires is to get rid of him, and this is why Araragi becomes a marked man. However, the contract becomes void because by killing Araragi, Senjougahara would seek vengeance against her in return, thereby preventing the condition of her and Kanbaru settling into a relationship of any kind whatsoever.

When the devil realizes this, the contract becomes null and void, and thus it leaves.

Even amidst a cast of characters wrought by their own personal issues, this isn't exactly a pretty portrayal of Kanbaru. I'm glad she learns her lesson.

Last edited by kujoe; 2009-09-01 at 22:34.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote