AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-09, 19:37   Link #801
Helius

Just so you know, of the thousands of Spartans only a handful survived the war, if anything they had a much higher casualty rate. In fact the first few years of the war were so brutal on the IIs they couldn't keep up with the "supply" hence the Spartan III programme. As for POWs, if you want to be pedantic about it, the Chief himself gets captured time and time again (Hive Mind, Didact etc), but I suppose it's more embarassing to admit a Spartan gets taken captive than being listed as MIA/KIA.

The fact that Spartan IVs are comprised of veterans instead of starting off at a young age like the IIs and IIIs suggests that they ought not to be grouped into the same category as their predecessors.

Halsey said as much about the physiological and psychological attributes that made the "original" Spartans who they were. Thorne also said it was advantageous to have not known anything else besides fighting. But it also means certain parts of their humanity may be lost as a result. Whereas the IVs are quite simply beefed up troopers who've undergone the gene therapy and sport shiny armour. Mentally they're no different than the rest of the military men i.e. regular human beings.

Personally I think they're just a step up from ODST.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 00:23   Link #802
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Just so you know, of the thousands of Spartans only a handful survived the war, if anything they had a much higher casualty rate. In fact the first few years of the war were so brutal on the IIs they couldn't keep up with the "supply" hence the Spartan III programme. As for POWs, if you want to be pedantic about it, the Chief himself gets captured time and time again (Hive Mind, Didact etc), but I suppose it's more embarassing to admit a Spartan gets taken captive than being listed as MIA/KIA.

The fact that Spartan IVs are comprised of veterans instead of starting off at a young age like the IIs and IIIs suggests that they ought not to be grouped into the same category as their predecessors.

Halsey said as much about the physiological and psychological attributes that made the "original" Spartans who they were. Thorne also said it was advantageous to have not known anything else besides fighting. But it also means certain parts of their humanity may be lost as a result. Whereas the IVs are quite simply beefed up troopers who've undergone the gene therapy and sport shiny armour. Mentally they're no different than the rest of the military men i.e. regular human beings.

In the case of the Spartan IIIs, they had well compared to the Mark IV or Mark V, they had the cheap stuff. Many of the armor didn't even have shields which was the standard, were given to the Spartan IIIs so it is understandable that the Spartan IIIs had a high death rate. Compared to the Spartan IVs who has the next generation Spartan Armor and the current advance gears, weapons, and assistance via armored weapons and a improve fleet of ships, manage to become the first Prisoner of War (a Prisoner of War means essentially defeated where fighting back was impossible and captured, pretty sure Chief wasn't defeated) as well accumulated some casualties on a single planet. Though you are right, the Spartan IVs seems to be just a unit above ODST, I would not consider them equals to the previous generations. Still, about the Spartan IIs and IIIs mental state, I believe it is more to wanting to establish a relationship with people. Fred and Naomi seems to have no problem socializing with normal soldiers and civilians.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 06:21   Link #803
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Something interesting I stumbled upon on Halopedia.

Quote:
I’m a Spartan now, after months of surgery and training just so I could survive using the armor. So here I am, sitting on Infinity, sore as hell from the War Games runs today. Commander Palmer says we’re on the line at 0500, but wouldn't say what to expect. I learned in the Army that when somebody high up wants you ready, but won’t tell you why, it means a fight is coming. I was reading up on how, 500 years ago, a military group called the “Air Force” split off the Army to form its own branch. It got me thinking about how little Spartan history there is. I can tell you that Carl Spaatz was the Air Force’s first Chief of Staff. But when I try to find out where 117 came from, there’s nothing. Not his real name, or how he trained. I can’t even find out for sure if there were other S-IIs. Some say there were, but others say the Master Chief was the only one. It’s almost as hard to piece together the story of the Spartan-IIIs-just a few mentions from around when the Covenant hit Reach. Us, though, the Spartan-IVs - we’re official as can be. Like with Infinity, the UNSC press corps can’t enough of talking about how we’re the best of the best. But even then, there are rumors. Where we’re stationed. How we’re recruiting more to build our forces. Maybe someday, when I’m retired, I’ll tell the real story of the Spartan-IVs. And I’ll tell everyone how damn proud I felt tonight, here, on Infinity.
Quote:
At least in terms of physical ability...cause the ODST in ODST were a hell of a lot more professional than Fire Team Majestic.

Also, there goes my theory that Fireteam crimson is competent cause it has SIII's in it.
Quote:
I’m a Spartan now, after months of surgery and training just so I could survive using the armor. So here I am, sitting on Infinity, sore as hell from the War Games runs today. Commander Palmer says we’re on the line at 0500, but wouldn't say what to expect. I learned in the Army that when somebody high up wants you ready, but won’t tell you why, it means a fight is coming. I was reading up on how, 500 years ago, a military group called the “Air Force” split off the Army to form its own branch. It got me thinking about how little Spartan history there is. I can tell you that Carl Spaatz was the Air Force’s first Chief of Staff. But when I try to find out where 117 came from, there’s nothing. Not his real name, or how he trained. I can’t even find out for sure if there were other S-IIs. Some say there were, but others say the Master Chief was the only one. It’s almost as hard to piece together the story of the Spartan-IIIs-just a few mentions from around when the Covenant hit Reach. Us, though, the Spartan-IVs - we’re official as can be. Like with Infinity, the UNSC press corps can’t enough of talking about how we’re the best of the best. But even then, there are rumors. Where we’re stationed. How we’re recruiting more to build our forces. Maybe someday, when I’m retired, I’ll tell the real story of the Spartan-IVs. And I’ll tell everyone how damn proud I felt tonight, here, on Infinity.
So it seems the SIII's haven't been integrated with the SIV's yet.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 08:56   Link #804
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Still, about the Spartan IIs and IIIs mental state, I believe it is more to wanting to establish a relationship with people. Fred and Naomi seems to have no problem socializing with normal soldiers and civilians.
That's quite true. The same for Noble Team as well, more so with Jorge, being a Spartan II and yet the more sensitive in the team - Emile: "Big man forgets who he is sometimes."

Then again, people are generally shaped by the environment they grew up in, especially if someone is innately introverted like John and had spent his whole life doing nothing else but training and fighting. While Spartans can certainly work as a team, there're also the lone wolves. So their mission parameters are adjusted accordingly to suit their individual characteristics.

If a Spartan works best when he's alone or with only a couple of teammates, then it's understandable other people may have the impression that they're unapproachable, even inhuman. And likewise for the Spartans they may feel they have no place in human societies, with only their fellow Spartans to rely on. This is made evident by Lasky's remark to the Chief - "you say that like soldiers and humanity are two different things."
Old 2013-02-10, 13:58   Link #805
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
A thousands? There were only a little over 50 active Spartan II's and Halsey didn't even bothered to make new ones after that.

Granted there were 3 Spartan III programs which produced what? 400-500 units but they all got killed.

Quote:
So it seems the SIII's haven't been integrated with the SIV's yet.
There'd be even bigger uproar if they found out the Spartan III's were created as "disposal" child soldiers and going by their logic they should treat the entire branch as satan.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 14:40   Link #806
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Granted there were 3 Spartan III programs which produced what? 400-500 units but they all got killed.
The third SIII company they made is presumably still mostly alive.
Old 2013-02-10, 14:41   Link #807
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
A thousands? There were only a little over 50 active Spartan II's and Halsey didn't even bothered to make new ones after that.

If memory serves the Spartan II programme had 2 stages - Class 1 and 2 each comprised of 75 active Spartans. And there were at least 4 companies of Spartan IIIs, each had 300-400 Spartans.

So yes there should've been a grand total of at least over a thousand Spartans who served at various stages during the war.
Old 2013-02-11, 15:45   Link #808
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-02-11, 16:28   Link #809
Helius

So we get to see how badass Palmer is in full Spartan get-up, that is, until she threw a bitch fit...
Old 2013-02-11, 16:51   Link #810
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Is anyone starting to think Osman is starting to have a REALLY bad track record?

Osman supplies fanatical Elites against the Arbiter
result: Causes new covenant army to form against humanity, resulting in the Didact having a fresh army of Covies to call upon.

Osman orders Palmer to kil Halsey
Result: Fanatical elites get their hands on half of the key to locate every forerunner artifact in the galaxy.

Please tell me they're intentionally building Osman up to be a big bad human enemy to oppose Master Chief? I so desperately wanna frag some ONI spooks.
Old 2013-02-11, 17:20   Link #811
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Is anyone starting to think Osman is starting to have a REALLY bad track record?

Osman supplies fanatical Elites against the Arbiter
result: Causes new covenant army to form against humanity, resulting in the Didact having a fresh army of Covies to call upon.

Osman orders Palmer to kil Halsey
Result: Fanatical elites get their hands on half of the key to locate every forerunner artifact in the galaxy.

Please tell me they're intentionally building Osman up to be a big bad human enemy to oppose Master Chief? I so desperately wanna frag some ONI spooks.
I would be please if they do. I enjoy killing Aliens and Ancient Humans, but I would like to kill some humans who has power and are too stupid when using it like Osman. Considering that the librarian given the key to Halsey, Halsey now has the information to keep ONI at bay well considering there are idiots running ONI, they probably will kill Halsey even if she holds the key to evolve the human race. Still, it does give some foreshadowing of the next major artifact that Chief in Halo 5 may be on.
Old 2013-02-13, 14:26   Link #812
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler:
Old 2013-02-18, 07:26   Link #813
ScorchingFlames
Jack of Blades

Just finished playing the season finale of season one and I have to it was fun playing with friends.

There is a conclusion video for season one that show what happens to infinity as well as to were the story of Halo may lead up to in the future.

Spoiler for aftermath:

Last edited by ScorchingFlames; 2013-02-18 at 07:36.
ScorchingFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 08:06   Link #814
Helius

Episode 10

"Holy crap!" ...is all I can do for now.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Man what a setup for Halo 5!
Old 2013-02-18, 11:25   Link #815
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Spoiler:
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 11:59   Link #816
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Episode 10 is out and has given either a second season main plot or the main plot of Halo 5. Regarding Halsey's betrayal, as much as people would hate her, I am pretty sure everyone felt there was a real reason for it.

Osman just made a big mistake and putting a hit order on Halsey, did she not ask Admiral Margaret Parangosky why she didn't kill her when she was alive? There are going to be repercussion for the UNSC and ONI for their treatment of Halsey. Not sure how Chief and the other Spartan IIs will react, but pretty sure they are going to have some thoughts about the current UNSC.
Old 2013-02-18, 12:54   Link #817
Yorae_paladin1

typical government cover up ****. i wonder did ONI forget it was they who provided the funding, the labs the equipment for Halsey to even do her work and also green lit the whole thing cause they were afraid of mass human rebellions. The best Halsey did was show em some suggestion she alone couldn't have done that without help from ONI
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 12:58   Link #818
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Also Irony is that the Covenant Remnants in Halo 4, most of their weaponry, ships, and technology were provided by ONI in hopes that the Covenant Remnants would be better to be used than the Arbiter's forces. They hoped that the rebelling Covenant forces would kill the Arbiter, to separate them to order to weaken the them.
Old 2013-02-18, 13:09   Link #819
Yorae_paladin1

Your kidding right ONI is overstepping its bounds here. plus the arbiter is an honorable warrior who fought alongside humanity lets be honest without him and his elites forming the rift in the covenant the prophets would have won. best revenge Halsey could get is telling all of humanity every dirty little secret she knows of ONI whihc probably a lot especially how they green lit and funded the spartan 2 program and the part where they had children kidnapped taken from there families and then said families got a flash clone in return. while there real children were taken to become murder machines. I can see angry parents wanting blood sure shell fry but ONI is going down with her
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 13:18   Link #820
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae_paladin1 View Post
Your kidding right ONI is overstepping its bounds here. plus the arbiter is an honorable warrior who fought alongside humanity lets be honest without him and his elites forming the rift in the covenant the prophets would have won. best revenge Halsey could get is telling all of humanity every dirty little secret she knows of ONI whihc probably a lot especially how they green lit and funded the spartan 2 program and the part where they had children kidnapped taken from there families and then said families got a flash clone in return. while there real children were taken to become murder machines. I can see angry parents wanting blood sure shell fry but ONI is going down with her
The book Halo: Grasslands and Halo: The Thursday War, all details what happened to the Elites after Halo 3. ONI overstep their bounds, of course they did, if ONI wants, ONI will get by any means. They wanted the Elites to weaken, seeing the civil war as a way to do so. They supplied weapons, technology, and food to the rebelling Elites (enemies in Halo 4) to kill the Arbiter.

Tags
halo 4, sierra 117