AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-06, 01:02   Link #61
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
I noticed in AonE's version of the special they cut out the Yukari-sensei clips...
I'm glad I got the YoumaOtaku version then. I've always watched her and the two students at the end.

How can they cut out her explanation of Shote Tengen (初手天元)!!??
Old 2004-02-06, 01:44   Link #62
lordlucless

Haha, I was really thrilled when I watched the special, because I had only recently been reading some high-ranked amateurs discussing the pros and cons of a tengen opening. So I could actually follow what they were doing ;p

I don't think the "Hand of God" is a series of special moves. More like an ultimate ability at Go. Having "the Hand of God" is sort of like when you say a gardener has "the green thumb"; it implies excellence in the field.
lordlucless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 14:52   Link #63
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucless
Haha, I was really thrilled when I watched the special, because I had only recently been reading some high-ranked amateurs discussing the pros and cons of a tengen opening. So I could actually follow what they were doing ;p
A lot of people I think don't realize that most of the games they're playing now are real pro games. Especially the interesting ones, like the game played out in the OVA.

The actual game hikaru and the other guy played was a match between Yamashita Keigo and Takao Shinji back when they were both 6 dan pros. You can find a kifu of it over on gobase.org if you've got a gobase account (recommended for everyone who likes playing go and wants to get better). Keigo (whose role in the game hikaru was playing) just recently lost his third straight in the Kisei cup finals. He's got to win 4 straight to win the title now. A lot of high dan amateurs and pro commentators were predicting he'd lose the first 3 and then win the next 4 and keep the title, so it could be a pretty interesting game.

Next game is feb 18-19 ... if you're on igs at 10 EST or later on those days, check out the games list, you'll probably see a 9p up at the top broadcasting the title match.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 21:54   Link #64
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Ok someone HELP MEEEEE!!!!!! I just watched up to ep 68 of Hikaru and yes I'm depressed of two things.

One.... I BOUGHT BOOTLEGS and didn't know god damn it because the subtitles were so good... S**T!!!!

Two....

Spoiler:

So someone please provide me with some happy spoilers... if not I'm going to die!!!!!!!
Asakura_Y0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 22:20   Link #65
TangentZ
神の一手

If you really want to know the whole story, I suggest you read the manga.

At the very least, watch the 2004 Special. It's very close to the end.

I hope they make a new special to animate the last part of the story.
Old 2004-04-07, 23:11   Link #66
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
No! Don't hurt yourself by reading the manga's ending. Honestly, the anime ending is already 100x better than the manga one. The anime is complete with its ending, the manga is NOT.

And NO, Sai never comes back even in the manga.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 02:39   Link #67
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ori!!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you're gonna make me cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want Sai back!!!!! Is there anything else that would cheer me up after ep 68 ???? You have got to say there is???? Come on man... I feel F**KED!!!! Awe heck... now I'm back to being depressed... Don't worry Ori... not saying its your fault.... you're not the one who killed my favourite anime character of all time!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Even the bloody pic of Sai in anime suki is irritating the heck out of me!!!!!

Okay, forum moderators... sorry for being a complaining idiot its just that I am really depressed... this is worse than when Haku died or XTV on the whole... this is by far the worst I have ever felt in a sad anime scene... which makes this the best anime I've ever seen actually cos it affected me this much.... Hmmm... I'm a little confused with the final specials... so those specials come after the 75 eps.. right?

And so far... there is no second season right?

Oh and after reviewing my post, I forgot to add... of course Sai is second next to Okita Souji... but its different cause Souji is real in person although he's dead
Old 2004-04-08, 03:14   Link #68
ato
Oups...

Ah, but would HnG be such a good story if Sai came back? Of course not - The tragedy of the dying mentor is a key to the whole story, and also forces Hikaru to grow up. In a sense, you could say that Sais death is both his last and most important moment in teaching Hikaru.

I felt bad about it for weeks, of course, but it was a good "bad". As you say, a story that can make you feel so deeply about a fictional character has bidged the gap between pretend and real, and touched physical through your very real emotions. This is the hallmark of great storytelling.

About the specials, there is a discussion earlier in this thread about their order.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 03:31   Link #69
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Hmm... now that you mentioned it... I suppose it won't be as good an anime if Sai did come back... if I think more deeply about it if he did pop up somewhere I would be like wtf? Yeah... you're right ato... Thanks for making me feel a little better... I guess I don't exactly want him to suddenly appear out of no where and make the sad part meaningless... Thanks for letting me know about the sequences as well....

Anyway, wanna ask ppl... why is it that I can't plan ahead in go as well as I do in chess??? Ok... I admit, there's more combinations... but heck... how much do I have to play to get good? It only took me 3 months to get great at chess.. this is taking forever!!!!!! Does it really take a lifetime to master this game? Or do I just not have a thing for it and should give up? The worst I felt was one time, I was on a losing end... and the guy on yahoo resigned even though I was losing... made me feel pathetic... darn it...
Old 2004-04-08, 05:31   Link #70
Starlord

well if you grown up
you must learn to stand on your own feet
thats why Sai dissapears, and thats why he must dissapear

well iam also unlucky that Sai dissapears..
but i understood why
as long Sai is there Hikaru would never reach the move of God
now he is free free of his own Genie
and he is on his own move
ready to gain the Move of God..
and at that Time i am Shure Sai would watsch him
Starlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 22:20   Link #71
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura_Y0h
Anyway, wanna ask ppl... why is it that I can't plan ahead in go as well as I do in chess??? Ok... I admit, there's more combinations... but heck... how much do I have to play to get good? It only took me 3 months to get great at chess.. this is taking forever!!!!!! Does it really take a lifetime to master this game? Or do I just not have a thing for it and should give up? The worst I felt was one time, I was on a losing end... and the guy on yahoo resigned even though I was losing... made me feel pathetic... darn it...
Well that's hard to say, since it's based on how adept you are at go. I've only been playing go for a few months, yet I'm already better at it than I am at chess, which I've been playing since I was 8. Chess there's a limited number of good moves that can be made each turn. Look at the opening move for example. In chess there are a number of moves you can make, but only 4 or 6, depending on who you ask, that are considered good. In go, there are at least 21 possible opening moves that can be considered good. Thus reading ahead in go is quite different than it is in chess. In chess you can eliminate most possible moves as being bad ideas and then read out how the board will develop though all likely moves. In go, there are too many possible moves to do this, except in certain circumstances like joseki or the endgame, so one must look at the patterns of stones to read lay out instead of doing it move by move. This is also why computers can't be programed to play go on the same level as they can with chess. Don't give up though, eventually you'll start to break the habits you developed for chess that don't work well in go, and get quite a bit better, almost overnight.
As for the guy who resigned, at least you still get credit for a win.
Old 2004-04-08, 22:38   Link #72
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

I just finished watching Hikaru... it was by far the best completed anime I've seen. I was so touched by everything and I would recommend it as a watch for everyone..... I haven't seen the last two specials or read the manga but from what i've heard so far.. i just need to see the last two specials right? I also cried again when he had his dream... partly because I missed Sai and partly because I found it was such a good thing as well... especially when he handed him his fan because it signaled that Hikaru was ready to move towards the hand of god..

I also liked the ending parts where Akira and Hikaru argued frequently, like part rival and good friends thing... such a nice warm feeling that gave me... overall anime was marvelous... it made me feel so much emotion

Last edited by Asakura_Y0h; 2004-04-08 at 22:56.
Old 2004-04-08, 22:55   Link #73
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Trust me, don't read the manga ending, it would get you mad, very mad about the whole series, you will feel very ripe off and will probably mess up your opinion on Hikaru no Go for the rest of your life. What ever you do, don't read the manga ending. Just think of the show ending as THE ending.

I agree with everyone that Sai must die. He had to, it was what made the the plot move, and it was because of his death that Hikaru grew up. I am glad for that. I thought the anime ending is one of the most satisfying ending out of all the anime I watched.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 23:09   Link #74
emessen

i actually liked the end of the manga...
Old 2004-04-08, 23:17   Link #75
Laurie-chan
Asian Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Laurie-chan
This title is probably going to be announced at Anime Boston as being licensed, either by Viz or ADV. NewType is going to break the silence of the license in next month's issue. * this is not a joke *
Laurie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 23:23   Link #76
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Hmm... I'm quite an open minded person but I'm curious... I won't change my opinion of Hikaru no Go even if the manga ended poorly so would it be possible to spoiler it and tell me what it was? Seriously, nothing can make me change my opinion of Hikaru no Go.....
Old 2004-04-08, 23:52   Link #77
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie-chan
This title is probably going to be announced at Anime Boston as being licensed, either by Viz or ADV. NewType is going to break the silence of the license in next month's issue. * this is not a joke *
I think viz has it, but I'd perfer adv. Viz will pobably relese in with 3 episodes per disk, while adv will probably put 4 or 5. With 75 episodes that adds up to quite a bit. 3 per disk would be 25, 4 would make it either 18 with 3 having 5 episodes or 19 with one having 3 episodes, 5 would make it 15. at $30 each that would be 750, 540-570, or 450. That's a huge difference in price. Though the company that releases it would get a cent from me until they have box sets out, regardless.
Old 2004-04-09, 00:59   Link #78
TangentZ
神の一手

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
Trust me, don't read the manga ending, it would get you mad, very mad about the whole series, you will feel very ripe off and will probably mess up your opinion on Hikaru no Go for the rest of your life. What ever you do, don't read the manga ending. Just think of the show ending as THE ending.
I think it's been mentioned before. But I'll say it again anyway.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-09, 01:21   Link #79
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Spoiler:
[/QUOTE]

You mean that the manga end just stops at ...........

Spoiler:

If that happened OMG... I would have died .... I mean yeah it would have left me feeling angry with the ending and all but I wouldn't have been able to take the trauma.... if the writer wanted us to feel that way... i think i have had a taste of it from the anime... that's good enough for me... I just can't take too much of this ...
Old 2004-04-09, 09:23   Link #80
TangentZ
神の一手

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura_Y0h
You mean that the manga end just stops at ...........
Spoiler:
No...

Spoiler: