AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-28, 10:01   Link #101
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It isn't the "true end", it is basically an epilogue, a "sequel" of the end which is Matsuribayashi.

Yes, Saikoroshi-hen is fully translated, and there are also 2 other chapters in there, albeit they are side stories, for fun. Batsukoishi-hen (Soul Brothers one) and Hirukowashi-hen (Daybreak one).
Old 2009-10-27, 03:38   Link #102
Used Can

I'd like to know what's exactly the relationship between Bernkastel and Rika. Is Frederika Bernkastel some alter-ego created by Rika, or is the witch an actual independent existence?
Old 2009-10-27, 18:44   Link #103
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I'd like to know what's exactly the relationship between Bernkastel and Rika. Is Frederika Bernkastel some alter-ego created by Rika, or is the witch an actual independent existence?
As far as I know there has been no explanations on the connection Fredrica Bernkastel has with the Higurashi plotline, there are many assumptions on that though, and ecpecially on the overall plot of the When They Cry series now that a character with the exact same name has appeared in Umineko.

One favored theory of mine is that the When They Cry series is acctually a lot more close-knit then we think, and the ACTUAL main protagonist is Bernkastel. It's possible she's some supernatural being who finds entertainment by jumping between worlds and time periods looking for interesting situations which will result in a lot of time and thinking for the "actors" to solve. Also sometimes Bernkastel will take a form most suitable for interacting in that situation if she feels she can make things more interesting (i.e. An older woman in Higurashi, and a young-looking witch in Umineko), which gives the idea that MAYBE she doesn't acctually have a true physical form.

Anyway, if this is true, then you can expect to have a Fredrica Bernkastel character in When They Cry 5 and 6 as well.~

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2009-10-27 at 23:30.
Old 2009-10-27, 21:05   Link #104
Used Can

Hmm... but didn't Rika say she was Bernkastel in Saikoroshi? Also, what about the whole deal about Bernkastel having been born from the memories of all the Rikas who had died?

This is basically what I don't get. Is Bernkastel just an alter-ego of Rika, or is she a separate entity (perhaps, she became one at some point)?
Old 2009-10-27, 21:22   Link #105
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Hmm... but didn't Rika say she was Bernkastel in Saikoroshi? Also, what about the whole deal about Bernkastel having been born from the memories of all the Rikas who had died?

This is basically what I don't get. Is Bernkastel just an alter-ego of Rika, or is she a separate entity (perhaps, she became one at some point)?
No I don't think so, I believe what was said is that Rika was the reincarnation of Hanyuu's daughter from years ago, which explains the connection Rika and Hanyuu have.

I might've missed that being born from memories part, but then again I've only watched the anime adaptation so I guess I'm not the best person for this. =/

Though I'm 100% positive that Bernkastel is a seperate entity from Rika.
Old 2010-01-20, 14:35   Link #106
TheWitch0fDivinty

Hanyuu's Sin

The poem goes "Furude Rika and Federica Bernkastel are different. Shame on you if you thought so."

Which means... They're the same. Period.

But I have two theories:

One the Perfect World is Rika's reality... however I don't think Hanyuu is imaginary, if anything I think Hanyuu gave a chance for Rika to live in the 'imperfect sinful world' in chance that she could get happiness so... However Lambdadelta met Takano Miyo from the world Hanyuu made for Rika thus 'becomming Hanyuu's sin'... however in return Hanyuu and Rika made Bernbkastel with Frederica Being FurudoRika after she realize she couldn't get her happiness.

It's a bit complicated but why would Hanyuu have a sin to begin with? What if it isn't the one we understood from Saikoroshi-hen ending about her 'for hating her parents' or 'Forgetting the meaning of beinbg human and making choices' sin was actaully 'I gave you a world you desire, but in the end it was my sin to give you such happiness not gain by your own two hands, a happiness that cannot be given by human own ahnds

Because in the end of Saikoroshi-hen before Rika wakes up... it has Rika walking down the streets with her friend (Satoshi and Co.)... She killed her mother and the next day acted like it was nothing.

I wonder if I made any sense :\ I don't want to explain the second theory in till I remember clearly what it was.
Old 2010-11-16, 13:24   Link #107
Boinciel
Mii~

Saikoroshi-hen English Patch Patch

A while ago, I gained Kaitoein's permission to edit the Rei patch for readability and flow. I spent a few weeks working on this on and off, and now I'd like to give you all an improved English patch. I thought it would be best to post it here, as the Translation Project thread is for the Sonozaki sisters and this is based on previous work posted in this thread.

As with the original patch, this only translates the first (and most important) chapter, Saikoroshi-hen. The previous script was an accurate translation, but it suffered from several issues with wording and formatting. This edit addresses that and attempts to bring it within the range of comprehensibility. If there are any outlying lines that still feel weird, tell me about them and I'll amend the translation to fit.

Instructions
  1. Obtain a legal copy of Higurashi Rei and install via the usual methods (PC locale, install JP fonts, etc.)
  2. Find the Higurasi9 folder where the game is installed.
  3. Open the .zip for the patch and drop the folder contained inside into the Higurasi9 folder.
  4. Go into that folder and run ONScripter-en.exe.

Grab the patch here. Redistribute it as much as you like, I don't require credit as long as you don't claim it's your own work.

EDIT (19/11/2010): Fixed silly bug near the end of the script that causes the entire game to crash. Download (DEPRECIATED) and drop it in the English patch folder if you have a previous version.

EDIT (10/02/2011): Decided to go back and smooth out the errors while writer's block has me. Should be typo-free this time, still haven't done anything with the menus because I'm too lazy to figure out what font that the Sonozaki twins used for their patch. Just re-download it if you have a previous version. Also renamed the .zip to something slightly different so I can archive these instead of tossing them afterwards.

Last edited by Boinciel; 2011-02-10 at 22:35. Reason: updated patch
Old 2010-12-30, 13:25   Link #108
witchfan

Quote:
Reaaally late response, but... Bernkastel is the "witch" who wanders the kakera. She could be seen as the transcendental aspect of the original "Rika", whose consciousness and memories pass between the thousands of Furude Rikas in the various worlds.

In Rei, "Rika" comes to the realization that the body of the person she is currently inhibiting does not belong to "her". The Rika of that world has lived a life unique to her, and "Rika" has no part in it. And so she names herself Bernkastel (after her beloved wine), acknowledging herself as a different being.

Bernkastel could be seen as the various Rikas' memories of the different worlds. In Rei, "Rika" realizes that, though she is "part" of all the Rikas from the various worlds, she is not any Rika in and of herself. By acknowledging her memories of different worlds - memories beyond a mortal - she becomes a transcendental entity; a "witch". The choice between two different worlds is not something a human should have.

What, then, do we make of "Rika's" choice to "stop being" the witch Bernkastel? In short, by no longer acknowledging her memories of different worlds, she disconnects herself from the entity that is Bernkastel and becomes mortal, human. She truly becomes a Rika. In short, by the end of Rei, Rika and Bernkastel are different. And for the human Rika, all those other worlds are just a dream.

It's complex.

Last edited by witchfan; 2010-12-30 at 14:48.
Closed Thread