AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-06, 14:36   Link #2901
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
That was probably Signum just being cocky, don't forget she tends to be kind of a smug snake at times. What with "you have pretty good sense for a mage, but against a Belkan-type knight it will be useless" at the beginning of A's?
Which is fine and dandy, (Signum does ever so love to tease Fate) if not for Fate herself saying that her losses against Signum are far outclassing her victories.

Regardless, I believe the main issue that led to this point was that Fate is a very skilled melee fighter who uses Mid. And regardless of how she matches up against Signum, that she is a highly skilled melee fighter cannot be argued.

However, that does not make Mid a better system than Belka for melee. Fate uses several workarounds to perform well in melee. She sacrifices armor for speed, and continues to sacrifice it even more for Sonic Form. She also uses an energy blade for almost every one of her weapon modes, rather than physically enhancing Bardiche in his... well... bardiche mode.

If I were to nitpick -and I will- I would also point out that if we ignore Rule of Cool for a moment, choosing a scythe over a bardiche shows that she kind of needs the energy blade, as otherwise the bardiche is a superior weapon.

And amidst all that, Fate still uses a truckload of ranged spells. Indeed, her arsenal of shooting spells vastly outnumbers her arsenal of melee spells.
Old 2013-02-06, 14:37   Link #2902
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhklan View Post
I've always thought of Dimensional Sea as a fancy way to call Warp Space to be honest. My personal definition of dimensions follow the Kaleidoscope line.
One of my favorite subjects regarding Nanoverse. Personally, I agree with you in that it's a "Warp Space" (EVE-esque warping) once inside the "Sea". Though there is a problem with this and that's the TSAB HQ where they can dock. If the Sea is Warp Space, they shouldn't be able to stop in the middle of it without dropping out of said Warp Space. This does make it lean more in favor of an "ocean" as previously mentioned, instead of Warp Space.

But yea, I don't know. Wish they could have expanded that in the series...

Old 2013-02-06, 14:44   Link #2903
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
Though there is a problem with this and that's the TSAB HQ where they can dock. If the Sea is Warp Space, they shouldn't be able to stop in the middle of it without dropping out of said Warp Space.
The Grey Knight's fortress moon of Titan would like to have a word with you.
Old 2013-02-06, 14:58   Link #2904
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

My WH40K knowledge is rudimentary at best! Though I will look into that.

Old 2013-02-06, 15:06   Link #2905
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The 5th edition Grey Knights codex has all the information you want, but long story short, it's an entire moon anchored halfway in the Warp.
Old 2013-02-06, 15:18   Link #2906
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Fair enough. Then... Well, this has horrible implications, but I see why 40k crosses were so popular back in the day.

Old 2013-02-06, 15:20   Link #2907
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

So back for a second to the dimensional travel. Is not something that is separate by distance and I always find that weird on the Nanohaverse. They act not like other dimensions but more like other worlds connected thanks to the Dimensional Sea. Going to other dimensions should not require move in space but to break that barrier. So I guess this is a case of the author just using words he think sounded cool and not caring that much of what they actually mean.

By the way between Signum and Fate I believe Fate is stronger but lacks character to win anything against a friend so Signum takes advantage of that.
Old 2013-02-06, 15:29   Link #2908
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Again, that is just one perception of how dimensions work. Throughout various media there have been various implementations of dimensions. Some link them side by side with only a wall separating them, other have them be entire worlds floating in another form of space. Yet other media depict them as worlds within worlds, like the marble galaxies of MiB or the dungeons of Magi.

You use the first method, worlds separated only by a barrier. The Nanoha franchise uses the seconds, worlds separated by another dimension. A sort of "astral plane" if you are familiar with D&D.
Old 2013-02-06, 15:41   Link #2909
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

I am not familiar with D&D but I get what you mean. Is just that with that logic this feels more like traveling in space than dimensions. And the spell Dimensional Transfer is not a teleportation spell as much as a bust speed travel or something like that. At least to me.
Old 2013-02-06, 15:48   Link #2910
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well yes, in essence it would be similar to traveling through space. Indeed it is a form of space travel (but then if we get nitpicky all form of travel is technically space traveling- but I'm rambling). It's just dimensional space traveling. The difference is that no matter how fast your spaceships are, if you can't enter the dimensional sea, you could travel through your entire universe and never catch someone who has traveled to a different dimension.

But there are upsides to this system as well. For one, you don't have to worry about mirror dimensions and the mess that comes with those. Second, you introduce natural limitations like range and travel time which can create tension and allow you to attach an infrastructure to it. creating territory and border conflicts also becomes easier.

Lastly, it also covers up a ton of plotholes that would have come with "I can travel everywhere I want" dimensions.
Old 2013-02-06, 15:57   Link #2911
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

But in a sense could be consider wrong calling this "dimensional travel" to be able to cross another dimension is to break the time-space line so, why should be distance or time be in to consideration there? I am just wondering here since I don't think is that bad, just that I think it doesn't really fit to the other theories about dimensions. Here we asume there is something between dimensions and that something is the Dimensional Sea.

That also makes me wonder how is to travel between dimensions with a spell? You just sit around in the air doing nothing while you travel?
Old 2013-02-06, 16:19   Link #2912
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Again, that is relying on only one theory of dimensions. And the scientific ones at that. Dimension traveling in Nanoha has always relied more on the fantasy side of the show.

As for dimensional travel... Similar to flying to a place, I assume.
Old 2013-02-06, 17:07   Link #2913
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Yes, and is why I say they just use the word "dimension" and the rest because sound cool. Really I am just saying is cool but a little odd when you take the other ideas behind it.

This actually reminds me a lot of the Thor and Asgard. The 9 Realms all connected thanks to a magic tree.
Old 2013-02-06, 17:17   Link #2914
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The word dimension has been used across a variety of media in non-scientific manners for decades now. What Nanoha did here is nothing new, really.
Old 2013-02-06, 17:33   Link #2915
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

And I had the same reaction on those shows as I have it here. Is true, this is nothing new.
Old 2013-02-06, 17:50   Link #2916
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I suppose they could have used the more fantasy-like "planes" instead... actually, does Japan even have a separate word for planes?
Old 2013-02-06, 18:52   Link #2917
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

I don't know. But "planes" is a little too fantasy for this half tech notion about magic they use, maybe dimensions was the right one after all.
Old 2013-02-06, 21:00   Link #2918
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I always found "Dimensional sea" to be accurate enough. It's just like jumping into the ocean. Both the air above, and the water below, are both "spaces" and you can exist in either one. You simply need to cross the boundary. The physical rules differ between the two, which allows one to move faster in one than the other. Hence, why the rainbow-glowy area allows ships to travel faster and farther.
Old 2013-02-06, 21:17   Link #2919
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Is just a purple thing all around the ship. Looks like space if the planet Psycho exploded nearby.
Old 2013-02-16, 00:12   Link #2920
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
If the other person is in the air how she will use the binds? Even if she use them how she will reach them in the air?

Corona, first thing you need to learn how to fly, then you can punch people in the face.
Because the image thread wasn't the place to discuss this...

Binds can be done in the air against people who fly. This has been established often enough.