Shanacon/Ariafag

yuuhi better be on mintys list
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2008-12-30, 23:24   Link #282
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
To be honest, I am still unsure about who I want to nominate. I'm trying to finalize my list by tomorrow...
^^ Same here.
Old 2008-12-30, 23:38   Link #283
LazyCanuck
I do nothing all the time

i'm still figuring out if i'm gonna bother voting at all, then i'll see if i can figure out what order to put people in ~___~

Not happy with Horo being called Holo by the way, i dont really care if its the "official" name for her it looks and sounds stupid, and no one calls her Holo EVER
Old 2008-12-30, 23:53   Link #284
Chiharu-chan

Send a message via AIM to Chiharu-chan Send a message via MSN to Chiharu-chan
Hm, I know who I want to nominate, I just don't know what order to put them in. xDD;

I'll think about it later, I'm so tired. o.o;

And LC you should nominate ;_;
Old 2008-12-31, 00:20   Link #285
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyCanuck View Post
Not happy with Horo being called Holo by the way, i dont really care if its the "official" name for her it looks and sounds stupid, and no one calls her Holo EVER
For the record, I didn't make that decision at all. I'm pretty sure Crisu did along with the Hepburn Romanization, and I was more concerned about the Hepburn Romanization thing then about Horo. But in any case, the producers and writers of Spice and Wolf intended the romanization to be Holo, so we have to respect their decision...

And yes, Game, Yuuhi will most likely be on my final list, although I think she would have a low point value from me as I almost expect her to get lots anyway. So far, I've only decided on my 10 and 8 positions. My 10 has already been revealed on IRC, but I'll leave her identity from AnimeSuki until my list is finalized and posted (unless someone decides to spoil it). My 8 will be Setsuna Sakurazaki, though it is kind of a "force" nomination since it doesn't feel right to leave one necklace undefended. The rest, I have some that I do want to nominate, but I'm not sure about the point values, and there are some that I should nominate that I won't because I expect them to be a virtual lock. That's why it's so hard just to decide.
Old 2008-12-31, 00:40   Link #286
LazyCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
For the record, I didn't make that decision at all. I'm pretty sure Crisu did along with the Hepburn Romanization, and I was more concerned about the Hepburn Romanization thing then about Horo. But in any case, the producers and writers of Spice and Wolf intended the romanization to be Holo, so we have to respect their decision...

To be perfectly honest i dont see what so ever in anyway that says you need to "respect" the way they romanised it. 99% of the people who know Horo know her as Horo, so why not keep her name as what everyone knows it as.

It bugged me the entire time during Korean moe, and its gonna bug me everytime here if it stays like that.

I'm aware that this is a stupid thing to be bugged about but I just am.

And i'm really not trying to be rude or whatever at all but i honestly dont think anyone who was part of the team that made Spice and wolf is going to give a crap about how you name her in a random contest, but that's just me..
Old 2008-12-31, 01:17   Link #287
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Once again Holo was from an official Japanese website of Spice and Wolf. Crisu has the proof. Juicy and I have seen it and all three of us agreed.

To LC and whom it may concern:

The entire reason for this is that we take the official names. We don't take what rolls off the tongue, how they say it in the anime, or how you are and mostly everyone else are used to it. The Horo/Holo case is a small one. What about kanji? Try to pronounce 魎呼. Wrong, it's pronounced Ryouko.
Old 2008-12-31, 01:33   Link #288
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Once again Holo was from an official Japanese website of Spice and Wolf. Crisu has the proof. Juicy and I have seen it and all three of us agreed.

To LC and whom it may concern:

The entire reason for this is that we take the official names. We don't take what rolls off the tongue, how they say it in the anime, or how you are and mostly everyone else are used to it. The Horo/Holo case is a small one. What about kanji? Try to pronounce 魎呼. Wrong, it's pronounced Ryouko.
"Once again"? You mean to tell me we had this conversation before?

But yes, what KholdStare just stated, I will side with him for this issue. If three of the primary ISML staff members have gone to their site and found this type of information, then I don't need to see it, and I will therefore agree with favoring Holo over Horo, citing the exact reason that he stated (though the last part I probably wouldn't say).

After all, would it be fair if an administration forcefully changed your name just so you can take part in a said contest? It's like saying "Hey, your name is LazyCanuck. I hate that name, so I'll call you OutOfLuck." (and yes, there are worse names I could have used, including an f-bomb, a b-word that shouldn't be said, etc.)
Old 2008-12-31, 01:42   Link #289
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Well, there's no 'L' sound in Japanese and Lawrence (Rorensu) sounds like he says Horo, to me. Actually, the Japanese 'R' sound is kind of a mix between 'R' and 'L' that comes out more like 'D,' so hows about we just call her Hodo.

Yuuhi is on my list. Images and scenes of her keep popping into my mind out of the blue so she must have made a deep impression. She's a good example of an exceptional character in an average (if that) ero-adapted anime. Interesting, too, because I think she's something of a departure from the usual Kugimiya characters. More so than Taiga, IMO.

Index, can't say for sure... I'm not quite caught up on all the episodes. To address minhtam's comment about her... she'll never come close to being another Shana. No way. Not even in her own way.
Old 2008-12-31, 01:59   Link #290
LazyCanuck

I am fully aware that you decided to use the official names or whatever for the characters, i am simply stating my own opinion that Holo is just weird compared to the more well known Horo, and also Horo would be the name that everyone would recognize first. But again its only my opinoin on it and its not like it'll change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhtam2448
After all, would it be fair if an administration forcefully changed your name just so you can take part in a said contest? It's like saying "Hey, your name is LazyCanuck. I hate that name, so I'll call you OutOfLuck." (and yes, there are worse names I could have used, including an f-bomb, a b-word that shouldn't be said, etc.)
Uh to be perfectly honest what you said made hardly any sense to what i was talking about..I'm not changing her name, Holo and Horo are both her names, it just depends on who is speaking it, i was merely pointing out which of the names that everyone would notice, or prefer.

I personally think you should use the names that are more commonly used, but apparently 3 of the 4 of you who run this don't think the way I do so nothing i can do about it
Old 2008-12-31, 02:02   Link #291
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

@Minty: "Once again" was to LC.

And I'll summarize my earlier post. Her name is romanized as "Holo" and spoken as "Horo" or however you want, two different things. Trust me, it's not as annoying as kanji.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-12-31 at 02:13.
Old 2008-12-31, 02:07   Link #292
LazyCanuck

yeah yeah i know, i'm probably the onyl one dumb enough to care posting about it anyway so you can ignore me as i'm sure most others are/will

I will still call her Horo no matter what though ~__~

but out of curiosity how many other names are like that, that are in ISML anyway?
Old 2008-12-31, 02:11   Link #293
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That would have made more sense if you used an easily misspelled name. Such as some that defy the rules of a language, like "i before e except after c" in English. Einstein, which has it wrong twice, and yet is still correct.

Or for another character from anime, Maetel from Galaxy Express 999.
Her name is often translated as Maeter ("mother" in some languages...which makes a certain amount of sense within the plot), but also the title of the show...the numbers are pronounced in show as "Three-Nine" rather than "Nine-Nine-Nine" or "Nine Hundred and Ninety-Nine". This pattern follows railroad naming conventions where a locomotive labeled 4449 would be read, "Forty-four, Forty-nine"
Old 2008-12-31, 02:15   Link #294
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

First of all, AHA GET ON IRC.

Second of all, there are really no more like that except for the bars. In the individual contestant pages, we used Seto Sun and Edomae Lunar, which will piss some people off, but they're not (yet) contestants.
Old 2008-12-31, 02:32   Link #295
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That would have made more sense if you used an easily misspelled name. Such as some that defy the rules of a language, like "i before e except after c" in English. Einstein, which has it wrong twice, and yet is still correct.
In other words, in the good memory of Albert, his name isn't English to begin with, so the I before E rule does not apply.
Old 2008-12-31, 02:40   Link #296
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In a sense. How about an English (or possibly English) name: Keith. A K is not a C, but "ei" is still correct.

Or the more radical names which would be misspelled if translated from their sound because they have more than one spelling (because parents are weird like that): Jasmin....Jazmyn. It happens.
Old 2008-12-31, 02:57   Link #297
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Heh... I was just looking at the ISML homepage. Holo's name under her thumbnail is Horo.
Old 2008-12-31, 02:59   Link #298
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Heh... I was just looking at the ISML homepage. Holo's name under her thumbnail is Horo.
Yeah, I left a message on the staff channel about that. Q-tip should get it fixed by tomorrow.
Old 2008-12-31, 03:13   Link #299
LazyCanuck

yeah "fixed" >_> <_<
i'll bet Qtip says the same thign I did ~__~

ok ok i'll stop <__< i'm just bored
Old 2008-12-31, 12:50   Link #300
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

I already said it weeks ago.

And you know what else is "official"?
Tohsaka.