AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 21 32.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 26.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 9.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 9.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.54%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-21, 10:30   Link #101
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Conversely, it'd also create the opportunity for a story with interesting storytelling, provided it was handled skillfully. Creating a good story always involves risk, but if you tell the safest stories you can (as in this show), you will only ever create something mediocre at best. That's okay for the purpose of the show, though.

The truth is that anyone going into this expecting good storytelling had the wrong mindset. Let's be pleasantly surprised by what high points we do get, but not expect anything groundbreaking.
Given the shallow backgrounds of each character, I don't think anyone considers Amagami SS or the game to be a classic.

Junichi is revealed to have been stood up by a girl on Christmas day, and supposedly that experience traumatized him and and made him "afraid to love." Is he really? The girl who stood him up is never revealed, and Junichi never gave an impression on how close he was to this girl. It's true that the reason behind Junichi being abandoned unknown makes the audience understand Junichi's point of view, but also not knowing how close the girl was to Junichi dampens the audience's empathy, and it makes the whole "traumatized by unrequited love" background very trivial.

What about the girls? Junichi can choose to spend time with a popular socialite, his close friend, his childhood friend, a shy kouhai, the class president, or a stern, ambitous kouhai. None of the girls exactly have original or compelling backstories, especially not when they're all simple enough to describe in a few short words or phrases.

However, the series does have a few gems. For example, Haruka tells Junichi that they don't necessary need to go out in order to get to know each other. Despite being shown as very innocent and sheltered, Haruka made a great point that can apply to real relationships as well. The fact that Junichi helped Sae get some lunch was important as well, because it showed that Junichi was geniunely kind, and not just putting up a facade to win over Haruka.
Kaoru's arc was refreshing because it contests the friend-zone myth where if one sees another as a friend, they cannot become intimate. In the same vein as Haruka, Kaoru was another example of a girl Junichi got close to without actually going out with her. They just hung out on their leisure time and subtlely got closer together. By the end, they still teased each other like they did when they were just friends, but at the same time the audience could tell how close they were.

In my opinion, the reaosn why Sae's arc was the weakest and why she is considered to be the least popular heroine (according to the poll, anyway) is because their relationship was the most superficial. While Junichi did mean well, he did help out Sae mostly out of lust. Sae admiring Junichi because of his "reliability" is understandable, the quality could be found within a platonic friend as well. It seemed more like Junichi happened to be a senpai who was a guy, so her appreciation for his help must turn into affection. Junichi was worse, because he really hadn't demonstrated that he liked Sae for any reason other than "she was cute." That isn't saying much when he thought Haruka was cute in her arc and Kaoru was cute in her waitress outfit. What I did find very nice was Junichi picking up on Sae wanting to hold hands and be a couple, but that is not enough to comment Junichi and Sae's story as being a good love story.

Though I am digressing, and I think we should move this discussion to the Arc comparision/discussion thread.
Old 2010-09-21, 11:27   Link #102
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

MOE GALORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amagami SS really knows how to make their episodes interesting despite the blandness of Sae. Anyway I just wanted to say that Haruka stole the Final Episode from the heroine...again. After this episode, fans will be clamoring for the Haruka Yuri arc starring Miya and Hibiki.

The best arc and ending is still Haruka's arc...for me anyway...
Old 2010-09-21, 11:59   Link #103
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Conversely, it'd also create the opportunity for a story with interesting storytelling, provided it was handled skillfully. Creating a good story always involves risk, but if you tell the safest stories you can (as in this show), you will only ever create something mediocre at best. That's okay for the purpose of the show, though.

The truth is that anyone going into this expecting good storytelling had the wrong mindset. Let's be pleasantly surprised by what high points we do get, but not expect anything groundbreaking.
I agree 100%. Amagami is a wish-fulfillment-feel-good-romance anime. It doesn't intend to create conflict or drama. Its about puppy love, subtle romance and the CONFESSION. So there is no point over analyzing the show. I personally feel that the show could have been better but the producers don't want to deviate from the original source. And I would feel sorry for the fans of a certain heroine if she doesn't get the Best Ending while the other girls have it. So its understandable why the producers would play safe regardless of the popularity of the girl.
Old 2010-09-21, 17:47   Link #104
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I agree that Clannad benefited from having a single coherent storyline (although I wouldn't have minded seeing an OVA of Kotomi's ending because she's just that cute). However, I don't think the omnibus format is Amagami's big weak point.

You could have adapted Clannad as an omnibus and it would have still been a far better anime. The original VNs that most adaptations are based off of are designed to be experienced as omnibuses. Heck, two of the classics (Ever 17 and Clannad) actually enforced the omnibus format on the player but essentially making the "true path" an unlockable that requires completing the other routes. Source material is Amagami's big weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandchaosSR View Post
MOE GALORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amagami SS really knows how to make their episodes interesting despite the blandness of Sae. Anyway I just wanted to say that Haruka stole the Final Episode from the heroine...again. After this episode, fans will be clamoring for the Haruka Yuri arc starring Miya and Hibiki.

The best arc and ending is still Haruka's arc...for me anyway...
I do think it should be noted that all shy girls are bland initially, simply because their personalities usually limit the number of details you know about them. It's what you learn about them and how they develop that makes them interesting.

Although I do agree that Haruka had the best arc thus far (also best heroine thus far IMO).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-09-21, 21:12   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah... as far as my criteria go, Haruka's arc and Kaoru's arc kind of tie up with a slight tip to Haruka for 1st and Sae's arc in third. Note that doesn't match up with any personal preferences I might have towards a particular girl. I suppose at the end of the series, I'll be ranking the stories and the young ladies separately.
Old 2010-09-21, 22:10   Link #106
Eternal_Sin
Useless Human Being

just average
but I admit it this ep. really MOE

Haruka's ending much better, since they have a future illustration when haruka and junichi become an adult

Still, I hope for Ayatsuji's story will have more interesting development...since she's my fave from the precious diary manga
Old 2010-09-22, 17:09   Link #107
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Despite my barbs at the storyline, Sae is so searingly sweet she does indeed cause heart trauma. I will say I liked the cute-funny ED and twintails are automatic win.

Ah well... onto the next arc.
Old 2010-09-24, 10:50   Link #108
Gault
inc_mplete

I said this earlier before , but after Episode 12 , a 50.cal Moe Bullet shot through my heart and now I died hahahaha

but in regards to Saes Arc , It was kind of unbearable at the start with the whole teaching to be a good maid thing , after awhile it felt like Jun just wanted to take advantage of her ,
Closed Thread