AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-10-16, 22:43   Link #901
Kudryavka

@xKou You could leave Japan for a few weeks and still get your citizenship.

Also, you can't just squat in Japan for five years and become a citizen. You have to apply for citizenship, and your naturalization process won't begin until the proper paperwork is filled out. Without the paperwork, you won't be getting any closer to becoming a citizen. Same goes for becoming a naturalized American citizen (and it explains why we have illegals running around that have been here for over a decade, and still don't understand that being a citizen is better than being here illegally >_>)
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 22:53   Link #902
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
if someone has a teaching or working visa to Japan, can they buy a house?

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 07:37   Link #903
Heiwatsuki

@xKou You could leave Japan for a few weeks and still get your citizenship.

Quote:
Also, you can't just squat in Japan for five years and become a citizen. You have to apply for citizenship, and your naturalization process won't begin until the proper paperwork is filled out. Without the paperwork, you won't be getting any closer to becoming a citizen. Same goes for becoming a naturalized American citizen (and it explains why we have illegals running around that have been here for over a decade, and still don't understand that being a citizen is better than being here illegally >_>)
LOL i see. thanks .
Quote:
if someone has a teaching or working visa to Japan, can they buy a house?
i have the same question :O. Anyone know?
Old 2010-10-18, 05:31   Link #904
Tokyo_Arwen

I haven't a clue. I suppose how permanent they are in japan. Most english teachers are here for short term and so we just rent. For longer term people, they are often married to a Japanese and no doubt that makes things easier.

I see a lot of talk about naturalization. I don't really know much about the process, but I get the impression that it's difficult to get and not particularly rewarding (as long as you look foreign, you'll be treated so.) A fellow teacher has been here for about 15 years and is married with 2 kids and he's given up getting citizenship.

There's bullying in Japan because japanese kids are still human, as are teachers. There are always kids standing around, but if you are reluctant in everything (sports, culture fest, cleaning etc, club) you'll get a bad name for yourself. Students are expected to be involved. That's why they have student council, charities committee, greeting group (I am not sure if this is the same as the student council). High schools and universities also look at these things so kids who aren't involved are disadvantaged.
Tokyo_Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 20:13   Link #905
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
just based on how foreigners are portrayed in anime, there are probably a lot of stereotypes about rich, smart, blond, and blue eyes foreigners which would make life hard for halfsies kids

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 20:50   Link #906
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindovermatter View Post
just based on how foreigners are portrayed in anime, there are probably a lot of stereotypes about rich, smart, blond, and blue eyes foreigners which would make life hard for halfsies kids
What about the rich non-English/French descended ones?
Old 2010-10-19, 00:06   Link #907
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
What about the rich non-English/French descended ones?
If you're chinese your eye-slanted yellow
If you're from southeast asia you're brown.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 00:20   Link #908
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
If you're chinese your eye-slanted yellow
If you're from southeast asia you're brown.
The above is wrong on so many counts that I'll just chalk it to blatant ignorance.

Being Chinese myself, it's usually easy for me to distinguish between the Chinese and the Japanese based on physical characteristics, but it's most certainly not as simple as just looking at the shape of the eyes (if that were so, I wouldn't have been so often mistaken for being Japanese by other Japanese when I was in their country). For one thing, you have to be aware of the physical differences between northern Chinese and southern Chinese — the northern Chinese look more similar to the Japanese. Southern Chinese, the ones you more often see in Hong Kong, Guangdong and Fujian, tend to have rounder eyes. There are also other distinguishing features that are too subtle to describe in general terms.

To take it a step further, I have a Chinese friend who is even able to distinguish between major Chinese dialect groups based just on appearance alone. I have no idea how he spots the differences, but that gives you a further idea of difficult it is to "tell".

And as for the "brown-ness" of South-east Asians, my appearance alone is enough to debunk such simplistic description.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 00:28   Link #909
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And as for the "brown-ness" of South-east Asians, my appearance alone is enough to debunk such simplistic description.
Your country is an exception. The browns still make up the majority in that region, like indonesians and philippinos. And the majority of southeast asians in japan are philippinos, and in the eyes of the japanese, brown is the default for southeast asians, and so is south asia and latin america.
Also, I acknowledge that there are white skinned people in latine and southeast asia, but that's due to spanish or portugese blood in them (or recently, the nazis that escaped to latin america). They are a minority in SE asia and latin america, but they are overwhelmingly represented in the media and politics in some countries like philippines, mexico and brazil.

Last edited by flying ^; 2010-10-19 at 00:58.
Old 2010-10-19, 01:26   Link #910
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Your country is an exception. The browns still make up the majority in that region, like indonesians and philippinos. And the majority of southeast asians in japan are philippinos, and in the eyes of the japanese, brown is the default for southeast asians, and so is south asia and latin america.
Also, I acknowledge that there are white skinned people in latine and southeast asia, but that's due to spanish or portugese blood in them (or recently, the nazis that escaped to latin america). They are a minority in SE asia and latin america, but they are overwhelmingly represented in the media and politics in some countries like philippines, mexico and brazil.
O rly?

I wonder how you'd account for the Thais, the Vietnamese, the Burmese and Laotians then. Thailand, especially, since it is the one country in South-east Asia that was never colonised.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 01:49   Link #911
Tokyo_Arwen

if you are non-asian everyone assumes that you are american.
Tokyo_Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 01:58   Link #912
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
O rly?

I wonder how you'd account for the Thais, the Vietnamese, the Burmese and Laotians then. Thailand, especially, since it is the one country in South-east Asia that was never colonised.
vietnam is technically labeled southeast but in the eyes of japanese they just lump them with chinese
Old 2010-10-19, 02:00   Link #913
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Arwen View Post
if you are non-asian everyone assumes that you are american.

BUT when they smell odor the japanese automatically assume you're armenian (and other countries in the caucasus) or russian

Last edited by flying ^; 2010-10-19 at 02:49.
Old 2010-10-19, 15:54   Link #914
Heiwatsuki

Originally posted by Tokyo Arwen
Quote:
There are always kids standing around, but if you are reluctant in everything (sports, culture fest, cleaning etc, club) you'll get a bad name for yourself. Students are expected to be involved. That's why they have student council, charities committee, greeting group (I am not sure if this is the same as the student council). High schools and universities also look at these things so kids who aren't involved are disadvantaged.
My joy in school is too to be the stranger in the background and seeing the passage of life go on its daily routine. I like to watch other people have fun and enjoy their lives. I would love to just be the dude in the corner of the room who stares out of the window all day, and at the same time be somewhat a part of the events that occurring everyday by only a few actions. For example, if someone asked me a question or asked me to help move something, ill be completely glad to. I'm more of a passive and serving kind of person than an active participant. If i were in Japan, i would love to help,clean, and do other things in the background. I hate being involved where I actually have to do something with others that have no particular purpose other than to have fun or exercise. My joys are different from others.

I find it very saddening how people cant seem to respect other people who are not considered ordinary ( this doesn't just apply in one area... ). Every day at school, people around me always ask me why I don't talk or don't like to talk. When class is reading a story together, people say '' Lets let *my name* read a part of the story because he doesn't talk''. All the damn time time teachers ask me to stay after class and waste my time by asking if there is a problem with me.

Why can't people learn to understand I just dislike talking and participating? The only conclusion I've found is that they are ignorant. I am not referring to being ignorant of the fact i dislike to talk, but the fact that they are ignorant of everything. People everyday act ''normal'', as you call it. But is calling others gay ( which doesn't even make sense considering they call people inappropriate names for doing either absolutely nothing or if they don't like what the other person is doing), gossiping about others, enjoying bullying people, lieing, talking about sex related things, and being completely illogical really considered normal?

Then the worlds sense of normal is twisted. In the older days there were less people like the people are right now. Due to the influence of the internet, television,other people, and other people, the people in the world now have become sex obsessed, liers, cheaters, assholes, and their very minds have become corrupted. Can you truly say that you have not noticed that people all the time are completely illogical? Insulting others using words doesnt even apply to them. Randomly shouting out comments that is flowing through their mind or to be funny. On the internet I see flamers that say stuff like F%CK Y@% YA LITTLE D!#$, SUCK MY FATA$$ C&CK. And then the flamers call you gay, when they themselves are asking you to suck their peenus. Sad really... And other times I see flamers who say they are smart and make more sense than you while they are shouting out random shit that fails in the spelling bee. Many peoples morals and values are so distorted when compared to the ''old normal''.

Many, not all, of the people around me are stupid( and not just in America, in all the places around the world, there are idiots ) . Also if you asking what exactly people are ignorant about, its the fact that they do not even understand the meaning of the words they say, the actions they commit, and how their decisions are affecting others( or they just don't plain care for others. They act based on what they are thinking and how they feel. And all this leads to the fact that people don't think enough to leave me alone. When anyone asks me why i don't, I mostly completely ignore them and walk away without even acknowledging them. I only reply to the people who sincerely seem to question why I dislike talking, don't know me very well, and seem kind. Trying to get me talk has become a joke among people and is getting on my nerves. But I have met some sincerely nice and yet ignorant people, but of course, they are the minority. I have no problem with ignorance as long as they don't bother me or anyone else. Well I am glad that at least somewhere in the world there are people who can think. Ive seen a lot of smart people here in Animesuki.

Well im getting tired of typing, im just complaining about the state of humanity... nothing more...

The only reason why I want to move to Japan is to have a chance to live a new life. I hate everything here, be it family, friends, people, and environment. If I want to live a new life, why not try out the home country of my favorite source of media entertainment? And thats why I'm here reading this thread .
Old 2010-10-20, 07:49   Link #915
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
To take it a step further, I have a Chinese friend who is even able to distinguish between major Chinese dialect groups based just on appearance alone.
I have an uncanny ability to do this as well. At first glance I can tell if someone comes from Guangdong or the Northeast. I can also tell generally if someone is Korean or Japanese, although they're more Mongolian-looking (this holds true for North Chinese as well to an extent) so its difficult sometimes. It also seems that Japanese people sometimes look slightly less Asian than others.

Quote:
The only reason why I want to move to Japan is to have a chance to live a new life.
Don't get your hopes too high. People in Japan are only human and are also susceptible to the same problems that the rest of the world is. You've no doubt heard it before but anime is only a small part of the Japanese popular culture and lots of things in that country have no relation to it whatsoever. Anime is also highly idealized, like most entertainment. So there will be plenty of idiotic things to complain about even if you do end up moving to Japan.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 15:11   Link #916
Heiwatsuki

Quote:
Don't get your hopes too high. People in Japan are only human and are also susceptible to the same problems that the rest of the world is. You've no doubt heard it before but anime is only a small part of the Japanese popular culture and lots of things in that country have no relation to it whatsoever. Anime is also highly idealized, like most entertainment. So there will be plenty of idiotic things to complain about even if you do end up moving to Japan.
I know, but like I said, i hate everything here. And if i wanted to move out of the U.S . What better place than the home of my favorite source of entertainment. I want to at least take the chance. Just like how the Pilgrims didn't know what awaited them in the Americas and wanted to start a new life, I want to have tried to make a change. And besides, I hear manga costs only a dollar . Here, one book is 10 dollars. -_-
Old 2010-10-20, 21:34   Link #917
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
The only reason why I want to move to Japan is to have a chance to live a new life.
(weaboo alert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
I know, but like I said, i hate everything here. And if i wanted to move out of the U.S . What better place than the home of my favorite source of entertainment. I want to at least take the chance. Just like how the Pilgrims didn't know what awaited them in the Americas and wanted to start a new life, I want to have tried to make a change. And besides, I hear manga costs only a dollar . Here, one book is 10 dollars. -_-
here's a tip before you become an expat...

finish your college in US, preferably with Bachelor in business and get interned for experience (accounting for example), not the wasted 'libul studies' degrees that won't provide you living wage in japan and even in the US.

without a 4 year degree you are a shit to them, if you're a girl you might as well work in their sex industry.... get into gravure idoling and go full-blown AV or something that most lesser-tiered asians do for a living there.

and not to mention they'll treat you they way we treat mexicans here, that's assuming you can't speak and read (and manipulate) the most common kanjis seen on newspapers, tv and official documents.

also, when you (really want to) settle there, you are there to contribute and assimilate, not to take-away (rely on welfare state) and dissimilate!
Old 2010-10-20, 21:48   Link #918
Kudryavka

Quote:
(weaboo alert)

finish your college in US, preferably with Bachelor in business and get interned for experience (accounting for example), not the wasted 'libul studies' degrees that won't provide you living wage in japan and even in the US.

without a 4 year degree you are a shit to them, if you're a girl you might as well work in their sex industry.... get into gravure idoling and go full-blown AV or something that most lesser-tiered asians do for a living there.

and not to mention they'll treat you they way we treat mexicans here, that's assuming you can't speak and read (and manipulate) the most common kanjis seen on newspapers, tv and official documents.

also, when you (really want to) settle there, you are there to contribute and assimilate, not to take-away (rely on welfare state) and dissimilate!
Don't worry about who's a weeaboo and who's not; just hanging out on an anime forum is a near given for you to find one.

And I'd like to correct one of your phrases as the way we treat illegal immigrants, not all Mexicans; and tbf, not all of us dislike illegals as a whole either.
Old 2010-10-20, 22:17   Link #919
flying ^

i'm just saying don't take weabooism on a whole new level with the goal of just settling to japan and live in manga fantasy for shits and giggles, you gotta hustle for real like Rick Ross!
Old 2010-10-21, 04:53   Link #920
Heiwatsuki

Quote:

thats what I planned to do... and not all of 'us' treat mexicans that way. Its only you racists that do. I dont hate mexicans at all, and i have some friends that are mexican

Tags
japan, travel