AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-05, 05:00   Link #801
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

A really good blog...

http://linuxcanuck.wordpress.com/200...d-do-about-it/
Old 2008-12-05, 05:09   Link #802
grey_moon

A really good blog...

http://linuxcanuck.wordpress.com/200...d-do-about-it/
Old 2008-12-05, 07:30   Link #803
martino
makes no files now

How can I map KSnapshot to the Print Screen key on my keyboard? Ever since I've updated it always had to call the program explicitly.
Old 2008-12-05, 08:27   Link #804
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
By setting it as a global shortcut?

I remember it was kinda hard to do in KDE 4, but in 3.x you can easily set this up with kcontrol. Otherwise you'll have to poke around systemsettings.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-05, 09:52   Link #805
martino
makes no files now

Seems like it is in System Settings, under the Advanced tab and then Input Actions; PrintScreen action that calls ksnapshot when Print is pressed, yet it does nothing. I tried mapping it to a different key (combo), but to no avail.
Old 2008-12-05, 19:57   Link #806
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I thought it kind of sucked. The person wanted people to accept Linux the way it is. If that was the case it would not be nearly as usable as it is today. The only reason we have such a usable desktop is because companies and people out there pushed it in that direction.

If people accepted Linux as it was 10 years ago we'd still be using FVWM-95 or something just as revolting.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 04:27   Link #807
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
I thought it kind of sucked. The person wanted people to accept Linux the way it is. If that was the case it would not be nearly as usable as it is today. The only reason we have such a usable desktop is because companies and people out there pushed it in that direction.

If people accepted Linux as it was 10 years ago we'd still be using FVWM-95 or something just as revolting.
Hmmm I thought it was more about dealing with the influx of ex windows users in a sensible way and also understanding where some of the vocal minority are coming from.

As the blokey put it, let Linux change from the inside out and not from outside in.
Old 2009-03-15, 16:27   Link #808
martino
makes no files now

Here goes a strange question... I was recently re-organising my music collection, both on my desktop (ext3 partition) and my music player (FAT32) and I came across some strange behaviour. For some weird reason my player acts all weird when I transfer the files from Ubuntu to it, so I have to go through a roundabout way of dumping it onto a Windows partition and then doing the rest in Windows, unfortunately. Anyway, some of the files have characters like "?" in them, which ext3 supports, but NTFS doesn't (or at least Wikipedia seems to say so). Strange thing is though, that I can copy the files from ext3 to NTFS under Ubuntu, and then open them just fine under Ubuntu. However as soon as I boot into Windows I can't open the file at all, and not even change the filename. Anyone has some explanation of the different behaviour between the two systems, even though the filesystem used was the same? Second one is, is there some application that allows me to convert the filenames to something that Windows won't crap out on when seeing, or am I just better of writing a script to do it?
Old 2009-03-15, 16:39   Link #809
jigoku shoujo

NTFS specifications were not disclosed by microsoft, other OS beside Windows can't handle it 100% correctly, if you have to tranfers files from windows to linux or vice-versa is better to use only FAT32/16 partitions, they are more compatible with linux.
jigoku shoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 18:59   Link #810
martino
makes no files now

Right... so that still applies. *sighs*

Time to write the script then...
Old 2009-03-16, 12:04   Link #811
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

It's entirely possible those are Unicode characters. Also, which implementation of NTFS are you using under Linux? If you're using a recent release of Ubuntu, you should be using NTFS-3G which is a so-called "FUSE filesystem" in that the driver runs in userspace. ext3 and NTFS both support Unicode, I believe.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 16:12   Link #812
martino
makes no files now

I'm running ntfs-3g. And yeah, I think they do support Unicode.
Old 2009-03-16, 16:15   Link #813
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Not to mention, I've found that hitting tab when you have enough of a filename you can actually type helps. Furthermore, if you can get into the machine using PuTTY, even better since PuTTY also supports Unicode (it also works with the IME on a Windows box).

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:42   Link #814
npcomplete

Like IRJustman mentioned, NTFS does support all of those characters -- it's just that the explorer file manager (and all the win32 apps using the same API) does not. I can get around this using Microsoft's SFU (services for unix) package which comes with Korn shell. Maybe MS Powershell or even Cygwin would work too.

Anyways, you wouldn't have to deal with that using ntfs-3g.. but I've heard about issues of corruption or a broken filesystem after writing and removing the device (example cited sudden power-off instead of hotplug; but it's almost equivalent) when all of the writes haven't been flushed to disk yet.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 08:59   Link #815
grss1982

Ubuntu Manga?

http://seotch.wordpress.com/ubunchu/

Tags
linux, ubuntu