AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-12, 07:19   Link #121
Clarste
Human

Proving that they would die if the helmet is removed is different from proving that they'd die if you killed them in-game.

Whatever, the point is simply that the law actually cares about these distinctions even if you don't. It's easy enough to say that a knife kills people and voodoo dolls don't, but the law is much more concerned with middle cases that straddle the line. Because they actually have to write the clear law that distinguishes them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 11:00   Link #122
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Well when they are stuck inside the game for 2 years and yet the police didnt try to pull the cord. Then they know Kabaya is dead serious. Let face it, if people didnt die then what stop the police from shutting down the serve?
Also i believe that gov can easy set up servers to read every data sent to SAO servers. This shouldnt be hard since they have physical access to the servers and infrastructure.
It's not inconceivable that Kayaba could set the game up to:

1. Kill the user if the VR helmet is forcefully removed by somebody else, but also...

2. If the user is killed in the game, the VR helmet safely deactivates, and the gamer essentially wakes up in the real world.

Combine that with Kayaba preventing any new outside players from getting into SAO after he makes his big announcement, and SAO would still function identically to how it does now.
Old 2012-08-16, 08:04   Link #123
n120cky

I think if we use EMP on nervGear, It will be disabled before it fried user's brains.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 08:43   Link #124
Clarste
Human

EMPs don't magically cause electronics to shut down, it causes them to overload. If anything, it would trigger the deadly microwaves.
Old 2012-08-18, 15:33   Link #125
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
I think if we use EMP on nervGear, It will be disabled before it fried user's brains.
Been tossed around, dropped as being not feasible.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 11:01   Link #126
jcdietz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
EMPs don't magically cause electronics to shut down, it causes them to overload. If anything, it would trigger the deadly microwaves.
No, I'm pretty sure they magically cause electronics to shut down.

The problem with this scheme is the apparatus needed to generate a large enough EMP. You need a nuke - something almost no one has.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 13:13   Link #127
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
Then you need to educate yourself. First item: magic doesn't exist.

Second item: EMPs work by inducing currents in electronic components. Currents they aren't necessarily meant to handle, and which can thus damage them. (Like, say, plugging something meant for 110V into a 220V outlet.) The problem being, unlike the outlet example, we don't know where or when the damage would occur (since it depends on too many factors - we might as well call it blind luck). So, yeah, it's entirely possible the Nervgear would only stop working after frying their users' brain twice as hard as they were meant to.

Quote:
The problem with this scheme is the apparatus needed to generate a large enough EMP. You need a nuke - something almost no one has.
Plenty of nukes around. And brand new ones could be made, if needed. But it's moot, because they're not going to authorize the firing of such all over Japan's major cities.

Besides, no, you don't need nukes. Though I have no idea what the economics of producing EMPs for everyone, at the same time, after evacuating every other patient from the hospitals, would be.

But it doesn't matter either, because EMPs aren't a solution in the first place.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 13:13   Link #128
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post

No, EMP works by overloading modern sensitive electronics. Good news for you is that there are other means then a nuke to generate EMP. But that still leaves the issue that it wouldn't be that difficult to design the nervegear helmet so that the microwave generator will overload and fry the brain if the sensitive electronics cuts out.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 17:54   Link #129
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
No, EMP works by overloading modern sensitive electronics. Good news for you is that there are other means then a nuke to generate EMP. But that still leaves the issue that it wouldn't be that difficult to design the nervegear helmet so that the microwave generator will overload and fry the brain if the sensitive electronics cuts out.
Let's not even discuss the ramifications of firing an EMP pulse in a modern-day hospital. Or the risks incurred by pulling every SAO patient out of all those hospitals they were madly shuffled into a year plus ago so they're all under one roof without killing them all.

I think someone said earlier in the thread, it'd be easier / safer to fire a gun at the microwave emitter at point blank range for the patient. Less could go wrong and it'd be easier to pull off.
Old 2012-08-23, 23:38   Link #130
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
I think someone said earlier in the thread, it'd be easier / safer to fire a gun at the microwave emitter at point blank range for the patient. Less could go wrong and it'd be easier to pull off.
Yeah, I mentioned that. I was going to include it in my fic, SAO: From the Outside, but replaced it with using a very small amount of explosives (like pea-sized or maybe smaller). Either way, it failed in the fic because of the same problem- the microwave generator was located in such a position that any bullets or explosions would create shrapnel that would kill the patient, so the idea was scrapped.

Also, I mention in the fic that some of the people involved in trying to disarming are actually from the bomb disposal unit. In principle, disarming the microwave device should be similar to disarming an electrically fused bomb- in order to disarm it, you need to isolate the device from the trigger mechanism and/or the power source with activating the trigger mechanism. Of course, I imagined the Nerve Gear as having perhaps dozens or more redundant triggering mechanisms.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 07:17   Link #131
Alucard24

they should examine the helmet from the players who already died and locate theses mechanisms...
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 18:00   Link #132
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
they should examine the helmet from the players who already died and locate theses mechanisms...
The problem I feel, is we're getting side-tracked with an impossible discussion (anime-only wise), because the anime has not shown ANY of the real world events since the opening moments in Ep1.

The player's have been in-game long enough (as of Ep8) that they're forgetting the real world so it's highly likely the average person in the real world has LONG forgotten them as well.

In short, we just don't know what's being done in the real world to rescue them, but we can easily assume extraordinary efforts are not being made.
Old 2012-08-25, 22:28   Link #133
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I only speed-read the last two pages, so forgive me if this has been talked about, but as of episode 8, two years have passed since the start of the game. Asuna mentioned that there were still things she wanted to do irl, which is understandable, considering the limits of SAO's world. It made me wonder what happens after it all; and by that, I mean they complete the game? Not in terms of how they'll wake up/revive, but how will they live their life from now on? When I say this, I'm thinking of Kei and Ichigo from Please Teacher!. Like Kei said, three(and six years respectively) is a long time, so long that so many minor things change. Where it may seem like you can just transition back into what you were doing before you 'went under', the reality might be the exact opposite, at least in some ways. I'm wondering will it be like that for the people of SAO?

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:40   Link #134
Clarste
Human

Well, the obvious answer is that they missed a lot of school, lost their jobs, probably need at least a few months of rehabilitation to get their muscles backs, so they'll miss more school and won't be able to get their jobs back. They'd be sort of minor celebrities that everyone would want to ask lots of questions about, but they'd probably be uncomfortable with that.

At least you could write a book about it.
Old 2012-08-26, 00:17   Link #135
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Where it may seem like you can just transition back into what you were doing before you 'went under', the reality might be the exact opposite, at least in some ways. I'm wondering will it be like that for the people of SAO?
In reality... it wouldn't be easy but not impossible to return to normal... Let's put people who had "mental" illness as an example... It takes for them to be treated physiologically, mentally and emotionally... It's hard but possible.. it depends too no the person's coping abilities....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 05:09   Link #136
Alucard24

Quote:
The player's have been in-game long enough (as of Ep8) that they're forgetting the real world so it's highly likely the average person in the real world has LONG forgotten them as well.
I don't think so : first they are the family who of course didn't forget and since it's not only one family, they would make enough noise to prevent the public to forget too.

And second, the hospital is filled with 8'000 player : I think it would not be easy for the doctors to forget about them since they probably take a lot place and need a lot of care !
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 05:12   Link #137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You know, there's a bit at the end of some of our TV news: "to this day, there are 7 French people officially held hostage". Every day. I think there'd be something similar in case of 10000 hostages.

Especially if some of those hostages are journalists who wanted to cover the first VRMMORPG from the inside.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 05:56   Link #138
Adigard

Do keep in mind that they've been 'away' for two years now. The average school kid (then aged 16-18) would look awfully odd going to school at age 18-20.

It's likely a special program would be setup by the government to take care of them... Regardless they'd need extensive rehabilitation to get their muscles back / be used to walking.

The average adult would be even worse off. After returning to society they'd need to re-unite with their wives / family and return to work.
Old 2012-08-26, 09:13   Link #139
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Do keep in mind that they've been 'away' for two years now. The average school kid (then aged 16-18) would look awfully odd going to school at age 18-20.

It's likely a special program would be setup by the government to take care of them... Regardless they'd need extensive rehabilitation to get their muscles back / be used to walking.

The average adult would be even worse off. After returning to society they'd need to re-unite with their wives / family and return to work.
Speaking of that:
(1) What happens to the jobs of the surviving victims of SAO? (if there will be)
(2) What about the school reputation of the surviving victims of SAO? I mean... there's something called Permanent Record, you know...
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 09:39   Link #140
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Speaking of that:
(1) What happens to the jobs of the surviving victims of SAO? (if there will be)
(2) What about the school reputation of the surviving victims of SAO? I mean... there's something called Permanent Record, you know...
1) Probably lose their jobs because they can't do their jobs. Unless Japan has some incredible employment insurance type thing that I'm not aware of.

2) They missed school for two years due to illness. They wouldn't get a bad "reputation" with the school because it's clearly not their fault. There's nothing to be ashamed of for being a victim of a terrorist attack. However, they'd be forced to repeat the two years they missed, all their friends would have moved on, and they'd be two years older than everyone else in their class. Possibly the target of bullying or more subtle social exclusion.