AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

View Poll Results: Ouran Host Club Episode 26 Rating
Perfect 10 127 65.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 15.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 9.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 7.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.52%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-01, 23:37   Link #61
Ambulator

Wow

After the penultimate episode I was worried that there was insufficient setup for a good ending, but I think the final result was magnificent! My only problem was that there was so much happening in the last half of this episode that I had to watch everything three times to see it all. It must have been even better for those could watch the episode without having to read the subs.
Old 2006-10-01, 23:57   Link #62
yjs

Looks like Bones really did pull off a decent ending; I was sort of worried as this show had character development episodes towards the end of the series. I would have preferred that the events in the last two episodes to have been paced a little bit better, for example spread across 5-6 episodes but what's the use of complaining.
Old 2006-10-02, 00:54   Link #63
Spastic_Hobo

And here I was worried that BONES was gonna end the show with Eclair destroying the world and hitting some kinda reset button where everybody is alive again but now in the real world. >_>

Anyways, it was a pretty good ending, for a thrown together, last minute kinda deal. I really hate this patern developing where anime producers will pick up a project knowing full well that they don't have they don't have the resources to finish the story or pick it up too early to wait for the source material to end and try to slap on an ending in the last 2 episodes.

I mean this ending wasn't terrible, but I just feel kinda cheated knowing that I don't get to see the whole story...
Old 2006-10-02, 00:55   Link #64
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
I actually like Eclair (gasp!) even though I don't know much about her. But my impressions of her is that she's selfish, not much unlike Tamaki, so IMO they fit together like a tee. Very much like Haruhi/Kyouya are the same side of the coin, so is Tamaki/Eclair, but that's just my opinion.
The thought just occured to me in terms of Eclaire's motive to convince Tamaki to marry her.

Spoiler:

So I don't think she's a bad person either. =) Just really weird because she takes binnoculars into the shower. She'd be awesome to cosplay. ^^
Old 2006-10-02, 05:39   Link #65
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Interesting theory, but it's probably the only one and most likely anyway... here's hoping for a 2nd season or even a live-action part or something.

Kanpai~
________
First-generation ford mustang history

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:32.
Old 2006-10-02, 07:31   Link #66
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

You know, I thought that was a terrific ending. Not only did it perfectly fit the mood of the rest of the series, but it also gave some very subtle and just nods at the characters and how they've developed throughout the series, as well as how they'll grow in the future. That's a great ending for this type of show, IMO.

There were moments in this ep that were just beautiful to watch. BONES picked the absolute correct moments to up the fluidity of the animation and some of the cinematography and visual directing in this ep was stunning. But they've had an incredible knack for that throughout the entire series: they've just picked the right moments to do the well-animated close ups or skewed viewpoints or whatever. It hasn't been constant, but that's worked to its advantage, because it's eye-catching whenever they do do it and, as I said, they have always picked the right moments to do it in.

Like the other Haruhi anime, I'd say the visuals are the highlight of Ouran, but the rest of it is really good as well. Other than Honey and Mori, all the characters ended up showing either endearing characteristics or fascinating backgrounds or both. I was impressed with how Ouran ended up carrying it's drama... it never went over-the-top about it, but it was respectful enough to its characters. People (like myself) always talk about subtlety with the other Haruhi, but Ouran wasn't without the capacity to use it as well; some of the hints and symbolisms were incredibly used well.

I will still say the comedy waned with time, but not nearly to the extent that I originally anticipated. The fact that I could still laugh right up until eps 22 and 23 is a sign of an excellent comedy. Not many anime comedy are still funny after all that time. So, in that respect, I'd say Ouran passes my biggest and harshest criteria for a great comedy: it was funny even towards the end.

Overall, it did exceed several of my expectations, which is why I'm so impressed with the show. Great ending to a great series.
Old 2006-10-02, 07:36   Link #67
crystar
*yawns*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
even a live-action part or something.
Live-action Host Club would be <3.

Oh and as for my comments on the last episode, well I thought it was great. This is how an anime should end. I feel quite satisfied with the ending. I do feel like I want more, but this is just my own selfish desire to see more Host Club, a second season can kill the series if not done properly (unless the manga continues long enough to provide enough material for another season).
Old 2006-10-02, 08:05   Link #68
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Man, I wanted one of those endings that makes go crazy... Kyouya's dad should have shot Suou's dad or something...

In other things, the conversation between Ootari and Suou was insane... VA for Kenpachi and VA for Kakashi. Quite coool
________
W136

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:32.
Old 2006-10-02, 15:34   Link #69
Cal-Reflector

A perfect ending to a wonderful series: The show has elevated itself through the ranks of my long list of more than 160 series viewed. Now my top ten is as follows:

1. Hachimitsu to Kuroba (Honey and Clover; Hachikuro): A
2. Monster: A
3. Fruits Basket: A
4. Full Metal Alchemist: A
5. Cowboy Bebop: A
6. Mushishi: A-/A
7. Trigun: A-
8. Gungrave: A-
9. Ouran Host Club: A-
10. Hajime no Ippo: A-

A fantastic finish that should prove satisfactory to a broad range of fans, particularly with the foreshadowing provided by the fathers of the two top contender's for Haruhi's affection. I found it particularly suggestive the way Kyouya cut in on Tamaki, a sort of behavior which would be uncharacteristic of the old-Kyouya.

One point of clarification: People have mentioned that Lady Eclair cleared Haruhi's debts, but according to what i heard with my own ears and Lunar's translation, Eclair just happened to be Haruhi's last customer which happens to meet Haruhi's quota (or so Kyouya says, who knows if he's just trying to let Haruhi go or not, seeing how he subjectively adds to and subtracts from the debt all the time). Do others have a definite answer to this question?

Applause for the character development of Lady Eclair, who seems to have gotten to know Tamaki, perhaps even fallen in love with him, before she even met him, through her acquaintance with Tamaki's mother. Impressive how the producers managed to redeem this villaness in such a quick turn about, and in such poignant fashion.
Old 2006-10-02, 19:25   Link #70
andromeda0201

Excellent ending! I had been anticipating ouran since it was announced in the beggining of the year and it has exceeded my expectations, Bones has done very well for their first try in shoujo. And yeah, I can see why it ended so open endedly since I myself am not sure who Haruhi should end up with, the final scene with Tamaki however was a good choice since I cant see it happening with other host club members.
Well... like Tamaki said in ep 3, this anime is a love comedy with him and haruhi being the main characters =p
And Haruhi is the one that saves the day...yay! definitely one of the best female characters this year
Old 2006-10-02, 22:35   Link #71
kamikazex

hope they make a second season
Old 2006-10-03, 01:35   Link #72
kismis
Rabid Fangirl

OMG great great great ending to the series. LOVED it. though i wished tamaki would actually MAKE his feelings for haruhi more... apparent. or vice versa.

but that would be spoiling the kyouya/hikaru/tamaki/haruhi thing they have going on now.

if only there was a one hour special for the finale or something..

hopefully season two will come about soon. *crosses fingers*
Old 2006-10-04, 12:35   Link #73
Cal-Reflector

In the hopes of generating some dialogue and getting some feedback, I'll post here an character expose I did on the pivotal new character introduced towards the end: Eclair Tonnerre. It is to the producer's credit that they can produce such a fascinating character in such a short amount of time.

"It goes something like this: the lady Eclair, raised like royalty in a lavish household, finds herself drawn to the quiet grace and down to earth warmth of one of her housekeepers. In an environment where everyone merely obeys or regards her as a tool of the family, she finds herself talking more and more with this housekeeper. The woman's favorite topic is her son, whom she has been unable to see for nearly three years. She speaks fondly of her son, how handsome he was and even more by now, what a good child he was, a prodigy with the piano and one with a kind and loving heart... the sort of person that Eclair, in the guilded life she leads where appearances are everything, has never encountered before.

She wants to meet this person, listen to him play the piano.

When Eclair is informed by her parents that her marriage has been arranged to one Suou Tamaki, she recalls the name of the son whom that housekeeper spoke often of.

She arrives in Japan and finds Tamaki a better gentleman than even his mother described... and far more handsome. She's determined to have him... and though she uses the chance to reunite with his mother as bait, there's a small part of her that wants them to be reunited; the commercially-motivated wishes of her parents and Tamaki's Grandmother are irrelevant, as long as what they do placates the seniors and their selfish wishes. It seems perfect; both she and Tamaki are people who can't lead lives of free choice, and within those circumstances, if they (the three of them) could find happiness with each other... then was that so bad?

She doesn't want Tamaki to remain attached to his host club; she wants to make him realize his place, that somethings are inevitable, but she can help him make the best out of it, and maybe they can both find a measure of happiness. This is why she is unkind, even cruel, sowing seeds of distance between Tamaki and his hosts, so that when the time for farewell comes Tamaki might not be hurt as much. She wants to make the price he has to pay as painless as she can.

The looking glass helps her see things in a detached, objective way. Just a trade, just carrying out her parent's wishes, her own feelings and those around her irrelevant to what she desires to accomplish. It enables her to keep herself from going in too deep. The only time she lowers the looking glass is when she embraces Tamaki from behind on the piano, and when she sees Haruhi behind them in the horse wagon. Its moments liek these that her true feelings come across: To someone like her, the only genuine affection and warmth she has experienced in life may have been that which she received from Tamaki's mother and from Tamaki, in the few days she spent with him.

Deep inside, she knows she could be happy married to this boyish gentleman.

Her plan goes awry; she senses her defeat the moment Haruhi shows up. Fearful and not wanting to separate from this boy, she lays her hand on him, looking glass of cool calculation and objectivity discarded now, and silently implores him not to leave with her unmasked eyes.

But she can't hold on to him; not because he struggled, she could've kept him, but she let him go.

She was the one who let him go."

On an interesting side note, when I shared with my friends the fact that I wasn't opposed to Tamaki-Eclair, they responded in the gist of "Blasphemy!" "No!!!" "... No Comment." Its tough rooting for the underdogs.
Old 2006-10-05, 02:06   Link #74
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
Cal - there is a lot of assumption going on there but they are possibilities. I wouldn't call it blaspheme. =)

I agree that Eclair is somewhat close to Tamaki's mother and wants to see them reunited but she could also be willing to marry Tamaki for sake of proving herself to her family. I think being in a situation where you will one day eventually be forced to marry some stranger for business, she would at least want to accomplish something more out of it.

I think lot of Eclair's motives could be read by the point at which she decided to finally let go of Tamaki. Haruhi and Tamaki were both reaching out to each other and both being torn apart. This could have been a visual comparison to when Tamaki was torn from his mother. Even Shiima said that if Tamaki's mother is as kind as Tamaki described her, she would not wish for Tamaki to be forced to leave Ouran - which would mean cutting the ties Tamaki formed there. Assuming Eclair was this close to Tamaki's mother, then she would know that the last thing Tamaki's mom would want is to have Tamaki be torn from people he loved again. It's possible that the reason she cries when Tamaki says "Thank you" is that Tamaki acknowledges that Eclair gave him the chance to have what he most wanted, which turned out to be a decision between Haruhi and the Host Club (future) and his mother (past).

I like your looking glass analysis. Seeing as Ouran Anime has been all about visual symbols (light bulbs, pumpkins) it's very likely that they symbolise Eclair's wish for being detached.

One more observation - I just noticed that Ouran had a.... shower?? o.O;;; Eclair was taking a bath there... at first I thought it was her house then she comes out annd meets Tamaki on the piano. Then Kyouya's father appears and you see the Ouran clock tower in the background. I was like... "Damn... they even have showers in music rooms... hahhaa"
Old 2006-10-05, 08:07   Link #75
molitar

I really prefer Lunar's translation that Tamaki's mother's business was in trouble and she gave him up because of Tamaki's choice for the money to save the business. This would not mean that she would not be working as a maid in one of their other residences.

They took him out of France so that he would not be able to see his mother as the agreement was arranged. I do not think Tamaki would of made the choice to leave his mother if it wasn't to save the business so she could continue to live the free life. As long as he was in France and she owned a business their is a chance he would run into her again so they took him out of the country completely.

I'm also sure even as cold as they were they probably agreed to keep her informed how well Tamaki is doing otherwise she would probably have gone insane with worry. So that is probably how Eclair got a chance to meet his mother. She is probably doing very well for herself and happy that her son is going to have a good life and in return they probably indirectly make sure she is successful because after all one of these days Tamaki will insist on knowing about how his mother is doing. And if he found that he gave up his mother to only have her working as a maid or that.. Think of what havoc that would probably cause, we are talking about Tamaki here. He is not able to see her but he's probably told that she is doing very well helping to keeping him also happy in his new life.
Old 2006-10-05, 08:56   Link #76
Lotiman

One of my favorite anime this year. I never thought Eclair really like Tamaki in the first place because I thought she just fooling around. It is quit sad for me that Renge is not in the finale. She is really funny.
Old 2006-10-05, 09:25   Link #77
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by katakami
Cal - there is a lot of assumption going on there but they are possibilities. I wouldn't call it blaspheme. =)

I agree that Eclair is somewhat close to Tamaki's mother and wants to see them reunited but she could also be willing to marry Tamaki for sake of proving herself to her family. I think being in a situation where you will one day eventually be forced to marry some stranger for business, she would at least want to accomplish something more out of it.

I think lot of Eclair's motives could be read by the point at which she decided to finally let go of Tamaki. Haruhi and Tamaki were both reaching out to each other and both being torn apart. This could have been a visual comparison to when Tamaki was torn from his mother. Even Shiima said that if Tamaki's mother is as kind as Tamaki described her, she would not wish for Tamaki to be forced to leave Ouran - which would mean cutting the ties Tamaki formed there. Assuming Eclair was this close to Tamaki's mother, then she would know that the last thing Tamaki's mom would want is to have Tamaki be torn from people he loved again. It's possible that the reason she cries when Tamaki says "Thank you" is that Tamaki acknowledges that Eclair gave him the chance to have what he most wanted, which turned out to be a decision between Haruhi and the Host Club (future) and his mother (past).

I like your looking glass analysis. Seeing as Ouran Anime has been all about visual symbols (light bulbs, pumpkins) it's very likely that they symbolise Eclair's wish for being detached.

One more observation - I just noticed that Ouran had a.... shower?? o.O;;; Eclair was taking a bath there... at first I thought it was her house then she comes out annd meets Tamaki on the piano. Then Kyouya's father appears and you see the Ouran clock tower in the background. I was like... "Damn... they even have showers in music rooms... hahhaa"
Thanks, and yes, the theory above is filled with assumptions from top to bottom, since I was trying to fill out Eclair's background as best as could from what hints the anime gave us.

It doesn't happen very often, but I'd regard the shower as a small service to the fans. Not that I'm complaining or anything. And yes, Renge's absence is my only regret with this episode... Renge and Nekozawa's absence both, in fact, when in the final dance scene so many side characters from the past were brought back.
Old 2006-10-06, 11:30   Link #78
andromeda0201

does anyone have any idea how well this series is doing in japan? that may help to have a 2nd season, even though its not usually a Bones tradition to do 2nd seasons...
Old 2006-10-11, 08:20   Link #79
Isamu Daisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiman View Post
One of my favorite anime this year. I never thought Eclair really like Tamaki in the first place because I thought she just fooling around. It is quit sad for me that Renge is not in the finale. She is really funny.
Eclair fell in love with Tamaki when she heard stories about him from his mother. That's why she also requested Tamaki to play the piano for her. Overall, i loved the series. A complete light-hearted laughtrip. Such a shame that it's over. It's sad though that Tamaki will not meet his mother anytime soon. I give the final episode a 10. It was a "feel-good" ending like Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Kudos to Lunar! Another good series just like Suzuka. Can't wait for your next series.

Isamu
Old 2006-10-18, 13:59   Link #80
specineff78

I just watched the episode today and it was awesome. On that not, how did not do well? Was tehre not wnough source material for an actual ending or was it cobbled together very quickly?

Some nice touches were all the references to the beginning of teh series. Eclairs lightbulb was a familiar sight and also the pumpkin patch reference.

Oh and Molitar, in the Lunar translation Tamaki mother is referenced as a housekeeper, which segues well into Eclaires motivations.
Closed Thread