AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 12 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 32.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 32.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-27, 02:12   Link #161
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
LOL what Kona-chan said about collecting things and not using them is exactly what I do. I can't stand it when people use them XD I take it out and look the stuff from time to time.

Her dad's ranking system is really awesome too. My friend's mom should try that on her XD then she would have passed that english or would have wrote the 3rd essy for the exam maybe.
Old 2007-04-27, 03:31   Link #162
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
LOL what Kona-chan said about collecting things and not using them is exactly what I do. I can't stand it when people use them XD I take it out and look the stuff from time to time.
I actually know a dude who buys every comic book he likes.....twice. >_< !!

He uses the same logic as Konata, one to store safely, the other to use normally.

I have never meet anyone that buys a third copy though.
Old 2007-04-27, 04:32   Link #163
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Forgot to comment here. Anyway I liked episode 2 more than this. Still I find myself a bit uneasy when they stand (or sit) and start talking, and talking, and talking... I'd rather see more visual variants such as the twins parallel and the arcades on episode 2, or the videogames challenge on this episode. However, the show is overwhelmed with cuteness, nothing to say about that. Best part: the ponytails. Great ending theme too, melancholic. I gave an 8, since it was better than episode 1 but weaker than episode 2 imho.

I had a question though. In Lucky Channel, Minoru says (a.f.k. 20:49) "Mochiron-ron de gozaimasu", since the correct form to say "of course" should be just "mochiron", is that a sort of reference like the "wa-wa-wa-wa" of episode 2, a simple wordplay, or nothing meaningful at all? Just curious
Old 2007-04-27, 05:46   Link #164
GriS

Twice the budget just to buy 2 identical items is not worth it for me :P

Regarding the grading, the fact there is no mention regarding present for grade A says it all, that grade A is out of Konata's reach xD or his father never wants her to score grade A which is highly unlikely.
Old 2007-04-27, 09:02   Link #165
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
It's too bad my knowledge of Japanese isn't quite good enough to understand everything, but this ep was certainly on par with ep 2 in terms of jokes, IMHO.
Yeah... this anime feels like its 'out of my league' I think. Some stuff I don't get and other things are hilarious. This thread is great for the stuff I couldn't figure out, but its not the same. Its like explaining someone a joke they don't get. It just totally kills the mood.

Bless Konata with her facial expressions and the use of her time. Definately my favorite.
Old 2007-04-27, 10:01   Link #166
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffenix Rising View Post
Actually, this is the real Apple Pippin

Though personally I prefer the Apple Russet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpianoboy
Yukari and Nyamo: The Early Years
If you mean Konachan and Tsukasa I might agree, I don't see Kagami as a Nyamo-sensei, she's just not nice enough.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-27, 11:56   Link #167
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I'm really pleased with how the series has progressed. Not only has the animation improved a bit (especially in that there's a bit more of it), but so has the thing I spent so much time griping about before: The timing.

The style of humor is the same, it's just "tightened up", so to speak. There are still some awkward cuts--not the "fast-cut" themselves, but those in which the cut itself doesn't express the passage of time--but they are fewer.

I agree that if they keep harping on the same gag for Lucky Channel that it will get stale, but it hasn't bothered me yet.

I do hope we get some character exposition for Miyuki. So far we've gotten slightly different looks at some different sides of Konata and Kagami, and while Tsukasa seems pretty flat so far we've at least been able to see how she interacts with the others. So far all we've seen of Miyuki, though, is her existence on the side as an encyclopedia and/or ball-of-moe-exploitation. I don't see that as permanent, though, since in the first episode Konata even seemed to exist to be commented on more than she seemed to be an actual character. So, I shall wait patiently. The fact that she was chosen for the first "introduction" segment seems to be an acknowledging her missed presence.
Old 2007-04-27, 12:43   Link #168
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. given the material in the existing manga to-date.... there *should* be plentry of material to expand on all the characters (even the not-yet seen ones) given the length of the series.

I'm really hoping to see some of the teacher/policeofficer/kona-dad stuff animated.

Just reviewed Eien no Anime's releases over in the Quote and Generic threads if anyone is still looking for a translation style that suits them more than a.f.k. or LC.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-27 at 13:01.
Old 2007-04-27, 13:52   Link #169
Kisuke06
I see...

Episode 3 was good, not so much as the second, but I liked it. Konata singing FMP OP in the end of the episode was very nostalgic, I felt like watching Fumoffu! again. =)
Old 2007-04-28, 00:14   Link #170
Diedrupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Except that 'lolicon' and 'pedophile' are two different things ... but whatever.
Lolicon and pedophile may be two different words, but they are pretty similar. Lolicon refering to the "love of young girls" and pedophile being a person with sexual interest in young children. Since Lolicon is not an english word (its a concatenation of an english phrase, lolita complex, but lolicon itself is not a word used in the english lexicon), only a weeaboo would use that in a translation. Pedophile would be a perfectly acceptable word to replace it with (as seen in the earliest Azumanga Daioh scanslations) since it is the english word closest to what Lolicon means short of using "lolita complex" which would be awkward in any translation. Both words have a negative meaning to them, though non-japanese otaku have taken to using lolicon as something they are proud of... :P
Old 2007-04-28, 01:03   Link #171
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Lolicon and pedophile may be two different words, but they are pretty similar. Lolicon refering to the "love of young girls" and pedophile being a person with sexual interest in young children. Since Lolicon is not an english word (its a concatenation of an english phrase, lolita complex, but lolicon itself is not a word used in the english lexicon), only a weeaboo would use that in a translation. Pedophile would be a perfectly acceptable word to replace it with (as seen in the earliest Azumanga Daioh scanslations) since it is the english word closest to what Lolicon means short of using "lolita complex" which would be awkward in any translation. Both words have a negative meaning to them, though non-japanese otaku have taken to using lolicon as something they are proud of... :P
Pedophilia refers to sexual attraction to pre-pubsescent children. It is often misused by lay people to refer to attraction to "underage" women (where underage varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction). It depends on how one defines a "young girl" I suppose ....
"loli" also refers to a clothing style or waifish appearance - making its meaning even more multi-layered. My observation of japanese culture shows some grey murkiness in the term's use.
In terms of the episode.... it really depends on how we're to intrepret her remarks ... and whether we should consider her "lolita"-ish or younger. She certainly doesn't look child-like when she drops into her "dark" mode.

As far as the english lexicon... half the english language is composed of lifted words (more than a few recently from japanese).... english is a thuggish language of acquisition.

... which is why I said "whatever" ....

Does this mean we get to chain you up and paddle you now?

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-28 at 01:19.
Old 2007-04-28, 02:11   Link #172
Anime Online

I didn't really get the part where Konata's nose kept growing longer and longer while she was flashing the victory sign at Kagami. I thought it might be a Pinocchio reference (a liar's long nose), but it didn't make much sense. Was it implying that Konata was cheating at the quiz game?
Old 2007-04-28, 02:32   Link #173
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... that wasn't such a great metaphorical connection. I assume they were trying to convey she was "cheating" (knew the pattern, cheatcode, whatever). But since Pinocchio didn't "cheat" so much as just "lie" .... I guess functionally there isn't much difference but it did seem a little weak.
Old 2007-04-28, 03:09   Link #174
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Agreed, that didn't work much. It would have worked if Konata had previously stated: "I don't know this game", "it's the first time I'm playing it" or "I've played so many that I barely remember it" (and so on). With the lack of any of them the joke loses of consistency, if it even keeps one.

Indeed as Vexx says, Pinocchio is meant as a liar, but not really as a cheater.
Old 2007-04-28, 03:53   Link #175
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

In Japan, the long nose isn't associated with Pinocchio, but with the Tengu, which is a kind of prideful goblin. See here and here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-28, 03:56   Link #176
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

edit: never mind
Old 2007-04-28, 04:05   Link #177
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

just to add a bit on the long nose metaphor, in most orient/asian setting. The long nose are used for someone whose arrogant or prideful. The lying part is solely from Pinocchio if i m not wrong.

In this context, the long nose is most likely used to illustrate Konata's arrogance when it comes to gaming skill.
Old 2007-04-28, 05:03   Link #178
frogblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In Japan, the long nose isn't associated with Pinocchio, but with the Tengu, which is a kind of prideful goblin. See here and here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
just to add a bit on the long nose metaphor, in most orient/asian setting. The long nose are used for someone whose arrogant or prideful. The lying part is solely from Pinocchio if i m not wrong.

In this context, the long nose is most likely used to illustrate Konata's arrogance when it comes to gaming skill.
thanks - that scene makes much more sense now!

and i agree with the general feeling of this ep not being as good as 2, but better than ep 1.

fumoffu ftw!
Old 2007-04-28, 05:13   Link #179
Anime Online

Thanks for explaining the puzzle of Konata's elongating nose. I've seen depictions of tengu before, but the connection didn't click until now.
Old 2007-04-28, 05:21   Link #180
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post

Thanks for the explanation. I had an inkling it might be a cultural joke, but it was lost on me. Cookies for you.

Cheers.