AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-11, 20:04   Link #1121
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
...What.
I'm getting a sexual vibe from that...
You're supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I imagine Kyon would consider their specific focus on tying him and Itsuki together "unhealthy"... ^_^
There are probably worse things Kyon could endure. I'm sure that, given enough time to ponder it, I could come up with maybe one or two.
Old 2010-02-11, 20:20   Link #1122
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
There are probably worse things Kyon could endure. I'm sure that, given enough time to ponder it, I could come up with maybe one or two.
what is this another sexual vibe...
There's definitely worse things he can endure.
Like the entire plot of Disappearance.

Should the anticipation part of this thread still be here? I mean, the movies out and all...
Old 2010-02-11, 21:49   Link #1123
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Most people here haven't seen it yet, so I'd say it still fits.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2010-02-11, 22:20   Link #1124
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I guess.
Maybe it should go when It comes out on DVD?
Old 2010-02-11, 23:35   Link #1125
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Haruhi herself is one of the stronger female anime characters; certainly amongst school-aged female characters, anyway. I can definitely see where some female anime fans would kind of look up to her, given how assertive and fun-loving and generally competent she is. And whenever I do Deviant Art searches for Haruhi, it never ceases to amaze me just how many different people cosplay as her and then post it up on Deviant Art. These cosplayers alone would make a significant fanbase.
I don't know, personally I find Haruhi more stubborn than strong willed. I also wouldn't say she is competent so much as she just tends to charge straight ahead without thinking and just have things work out for her because....well they have to....or at least the group feels that they have to so they work together to make it so. For this reason I wouldn't call her a good role model character at all. There's just no place for her way of doing things in real life because she's such a pure fantasy character. Also the idea she portrays that someone can throw a temper tantrum and get her way every time isn't exactly going to be teaching any positive values (especially not the kind that Japan's culture takes to heart) to anybody unless they are learning how to be a dictator or something. Again Haruhi is as fantasy as anime characters come and anybody that would try to emulate her is probably looking at nothing but trouble in life if not some time in jail.
Old 2010-02-12, 00:04   Link #1126
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I don't know, personally I find Haruhi more stubborn than strong willed.
Well... stubborn vs. strong-willed tends to be very subjective.

Quote:
I also wouldn't say she is competent so much as she just tends to charge straight ahead without thinking and just have things work out for her because....well they have to....or at least the group feels that they have to so they work together to make it so.
By "competent", I mean more in the sense of...

1. Does great at school
2. Does great at sports
3. Is full of energy and vigor
4. Clearly has a lot of raw intelligence (emphasis on raw, I'll admit)
5. Clearly has a lot of musical talent, and high aptitudes in many different areas.

Perhaps "talented and driven", or "effective", fits better than "competent".

She's generally not incompetent, though.

Quote:
For this reason I wouldn't call her a good role model character at all.
Not in an overall sense, perhaps.

But her assertiveness, courage, drive, determination, and loyalty to her friends, are all things that I think good inspirations can be taken from.

Some of what she does is questionable, yes, but the way she puts her whole heart into what she does is admirable nonetheless.

Quote:
There's just no place for her way of doing things in real life because she's such a pure fantasy character.
Not for adults, no.

For teenagers... I'm not so sure.

Anyway... my main point is just that school-based female anime characters rarely get to "wear the pants" (figuratively, of course ) as much as Haruhi does.

I can see where that would seem empowering to a female fan, and hence appealing to them.
Old 2010-02-12, 01:20   Link #1127
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Well... stubborn vs. strong-willed tends to be very subjective.

By "competent", I mean more in the sense of...

1. Does great at school
2. Does great at sports
3. Is full of energy and vigor
4. Clearly has a lot of raw intelligence (emphasis on raw, I'll admit)
5. Clearly has a lot of musical talent, and high aptitudes in many different areas.

Perhaps "talented and driven", or "effective", fits better than "competent".
Hmmm....see when she very well could have just gifted all of those traits to herself on account of her special ability it kind of takes away from them a little I think. Plus she doesn't exactly put them to any great or virtuous use so I kind of fail to be inspired by any of that a lot of the time. Her case is like a bizzare perversion of the biblical "Parable of The Talents" in which god both gives herself talents and then fails to use them for anything virtuous or beneficial to anybody.

Can't say I'm inspired yet but lets move on.

Quote:
But her assertiveness, courage, drive, determination, and loyalty to her friends, are all things that I think good inspirations can be taken from.
Hmmm, assertiveness I agree on and maybe a little bit with courage, drive and determination (though for nothing beneficial to anybody as I said above), but loyalty to friends? She treats Mikuru like a doll which was one of the main failings of her personality that I felt Sighs helped to demonstrate quite well. She also treats Kyon like a servant or at the very best like a Queen would her least favourite advisor. Yuki is more or less a borderline nonexistant entity to her and she ultimately only seems to place any value in her relationship with Koizumi, presumedly as Kyon points out because he agrees with and flatters her. For these reasons I'd say that the group to Haruhi are treated like loyal friends only in the same way that a King or Queen relates to their court.

She's had like all of one shining moment of virtue in the series so far in the Live A Live episode, but that gets quickly glossed over and it seems she learns little to nothing from it in the end.

Still not inspired.

Quote:
Some of what she does is questionable, yes, but the way she puts her whole heart into what she does is admirable nonetheless.
I can give quite a number of examples in which that might not be the case, but I don't want to unintentionally invoke an extension of Godwin's Law.

Awaiting inspiration.

Quote:
Anyway... my main point is just that school-based female anime characters rarely get to "wear the pants" (figuratively, of course ) as much as Haruhi does.

I can see where that would seem empowering to a female fan, and hence appealing to them.
Yes well again the real world doesn't exactly work the way the Haruhi Universe does so I still can't help but feel that she's a wish fulfillment character long before she's a symbol of female empowerment. For that idea I would think of Princess Sapphire of Tezuka's excellent Ribon no Kishi, Oscar François de Jarjayes of Rose of Versailles or Utena Tenjou of Revolutionary Girl Utena long before I would think of Haruhi. These characters actually have to struggle in similar but ultimately different ways in order to overcome the barriers that are set up against them simply because of their gender. This I would imagine is far more inspiring compared to watching Haruhi who is basically Franklin Richards and can just magic herself into a dominant position.

Plus for Haruhi gender doesn't even seem to be a consideration. "I want" always struck me as her prime directive.

Then again who knows since I'm mostly speaking for myself here and what I find inspiring. To me though she teaches people how to be selfish, domineering, and perhaps also how to still blessed for having done absolutely nothing to earn it. That's just a terrible example of a human being and frankly a terrible message that the whole story sends in general if we take Haruhi to be the bearer of virtue, progressiveness and inspiration in the stories. It's a good thing then that we have Kyon to reflect on the fact that it's all one big irony and perhaps that life just isn't fair.
Old 2010-02-12, 01:32   Link #1128
relentlessflame

*Administrator

All this is fascinating, guys, but probably a topic for another thread. Besides, are we sure that the female audience are fans of Haruhi, or could they be fans of Yuki? Or the guys...?
Old 2010-02-12, 02:15   Link #1129
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
All this is fascinating, guys, but probably a topic for another thread. Besides, are we sure that the female audience are fans of Haruhi, or could they be fans of Yuki? Or the guys...?
Just to clear, I brought up how Yuki and the guys could be a part of the appeal to female fans as well.

To keep this discussion on-topic, I won't be replying to Kaioshin's latest post here on this thread.
Old 2010-02-12, 02:30   Link #1130
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Can we really call this News & Anticipation anymore since it's already out? o_o
Old 2010-02-12, 02:51   Link #1131
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
As I said before(as in, earlier on this page), the majority of people here have not seen this yet, so anticipation is still valid. Adding onto this, "News" also incorporates information of how well it's doing, as well as future plans for it, such as extra goodies, BR/DVD releases, and possibly even information on whether it's licensed. "News & Anticipation" still works.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2010-02-12, 06:33   Link #1132
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
It's still 'Anticipation' because we're anticipating the eventual DVD/BR release.
Or crappy camrips. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 2010-02-12, 07:59   Link #1133
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Well, we can easily call it a news thread since reports are coming out that in one week's release, the movie has raised 200,000,000 yen and had nearly 140,000 viewers according to this article. It's really interesting since the weekday showings aren't typically this packed, and the ranking might actually go UP this week due to having a full week's worth of shows. It's already a big hit in Japan.

Edit: The official guidebook seems to be rocketing up the charts on Amazon Japan. It's already the top ranked book in entertainment and is 14th overall. If you want your copies soon, you might want to order them now from your choice of stores, before they run out of stock and have to be replenished.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-12 at 09:18.
Old 2010-02-12, 09:12   Link #1134
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Where else do we order aside from Amazon?
Old 2010-02-12, 09:24   Link #1135
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Where else do we order aside from Amazon?
There are other ways to order from Japan. CD Japan, Amiami, and ordering through a middleman for stores/auctions that don't ship outside of Japan are all options besides Amazon. I just chose that one because it had more up-to-date statistics than the others. CD Japan only has about 7 copies left of the guidebook, so that's why I decided to say to order it quickly.

Back onto news, also in that article, they have sold out of the 1,000 yen pamphlets that were sold at the theatres, and they are having to print more. The demand for stuff is absolutely growing. To be honest, I'm placing my order for the DVD/Blu-ray before posting information about the release just to ensure I get a copy.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-12, 12:45   Link #1136
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Actually, I'm surprised that people are surprised that Haruhi has a very large and healthy female fanbase.
I'm surprised that you're surprised The audience at Gekisou was overwhelmingly male, so yes, I'm a bit surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
There are other ways to order from Japan. CD Japan, Amiami, and ordering through a middleman for stores/auctions that don't ship outside of Japan are all options besides Amazon. I just chose that one because it had more up-to-date statistics than the others. CD Japan only has about 7 copies left of the guidebook, so that's why I decided to say to order it quickly.

Back onto news, also in that article, they have sold out of the 1,000 yen pamphlets that were sold at the theatres, and they are having to print more. The demand for stuff is absolutely growing. To be honest, I'm placing my order for the DVD/Blu-ray before posting information about the release just to ensure I get a copy.
Perfectly rational, like what Koizumi would do

I guess I have to pre-order a copy soon... Always good to get first edition.
Old 2010-02-12, 15:39   Link #1137
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
I'm surprised that you're surprised The audience at Gekisou was overwhelmingly male, so yes, I'm a bit surprised.
That's because there's a big difference between "seeing a high-budget animated movie with a story that you heard was gonna be pretty good" and "OH MY GOD REAL WOMEN DANCING AND SINGING ON STAGE".

It's a moe vs. integrity thing, like always. Although I, too, am surprised that so many women like this series... but then again Haruhi became popular in the first place because it had something for everyone.
Old 2010-02-12, 23:49   Link #1138
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That's because there's a big difference between "seeing a high-budget animated movie with a story that you heard was gonna be pretty good" and "OH MY GOD REAL WOMEN DANCING AND SINGING ON STAGE".
Good point. I guess alt!Yuki helped draw in the crowds, as shyness is always a big hit with women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's a moe vs. integrity thing, like always. Although I, too, am surprised that so many women like this series... but then again Haruhi became popular in the first place because it had something for everyone.
I had a discussion with my teacher on anime, and I brought up Haruhi. She commented that Haruhi was too much of a girly anime for her, which mean me go . In fact, most females in my school dislike Haruhi for some reason, which got me surprised when so many women went for the movie. But yeah, Haruhi has something for everyone, and this movie has minimal Haruhi involvement in it anyways, so... people can enjoy Yuki in peace
Old 2010-02-13, 02:22   Link #1139
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
I had a discussion with my teacher on anime, and I brought up Haruhi. She commented that Haruhi was too much of a girly anime for her, which mean me go .
"Girly anime"? 0_o'

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is Douglas Adams adapting Star Trek to a Japanese high school setting. How can that possibly be "girly"?

Well, Disappearance, maybe...a bit...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-02-13 at 02:57.
Old 2010-02-13, 03:51   Link #1140
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Haruhi is not girly o_O

Clannad, maybe.

But Haruhi, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen