AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-03-28, 18:44   Link #101
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I only saw the original for the first time a few months back so this is great,
I think the biggest problem with that series was the art.

I did like it but some felt the art was a little....odd.

(One reviewer said "What's with Yuuichi's head? It's all messed up!").

The most disturbing thing: a friend of mine looks like Yuuichi - really odd.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 18:55   Link #102
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I still hope that Nayuki win this time around~ Go Nayuki! Attack everyone in sight with your loyal snow bunnies~!!
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 18:59   Link #103
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
I only saw the original for the first time a few months back so this is great,
I think the biggest problem with that series was the art.

I did like it but some felt the art was a little....odd.

(One reviewer said "What's with Yuuichi's head? It's all messed up!").

The most disturbing thing: a friend of mine looks like Yuuichi - really odd.

which yuuichi? The new one or the 2002 version either way LOL
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 19:00   Link #104
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
I still hope that Nayuki win this time around~ Go Nayuki! Attack everyone in sight with your loyal snow bunnies~!!

Ayu will defeat all with winged backpack and Taiyaki power!!!!! melt those bunnies yo!
Old 2006-03-28, 19:01   Link #105
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
24 Episodes long. That's good news.
That's awesome--if it had the same time constraint as the original series I don't think there would be as much they could do to improve on it (other than visuals), but with 11 more episodes they can really develop the characters and their stories more. The original Kanon did as good a job of this as I think they could in 13 episodes, but I think inevitably it felt like some of it was rushed (although not having played the game, I can't say what was "missing" from each of the story arcs).

I don't envy Kyoto Animation on this one--I'm sure expectations will be high, and the original Kanon anime sets a high bar to clear, even though its character designs were a little...odd. If anyone can pull this off though, Kyoto Animation can.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 19:27   Link #106
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
I don't exactly share this note of optimism. Air was animated magnificently and it was possible because the length of the series was short. Even then, there were a few animation discrepency in the middle of that series. Now if Kanon is 24 episodes long then the animation have to, just have to, suffer in one or two episodes and that is said after stretching optimism to its limit. There simply hasn't been any series that was 24+ episodes in length and didn't suffer inconsisteny in animation. Admittedly at the same time, Kyoto Animation deserves all the benefit of the doubt.

The story is another matter. I really liked Kanon in its original length, so I am a bit alarmed by the announced length of this remake.
I'm pretty sure the producers have already considered that, let me translate that interview with the producer, shown in MakubeX's post.

================

Q: What was the process that led to the decision to produce this anime?
A: It was mainly because last year, the "AIR" anime that was produced by Kyoto Animation was incredibly well received by the viewers. Along with that flow, we have received many calls from the viewers who wanted the same production company to animate "Kanon", another Key creation, as well. With that as a push, we realized this project.

Q: What was the reaction of Kyoto Animation from hearing this news?
A: Just like during "AIR", they're very excited to go at it. There are a lot of staff members who loved "Kanon" to begin with as well. Since they will be creating this with their own sentiments, I believe this will definately become a good creation.

Q: What are the highlights of this creation for you?
A: Although "AIR" was a story that revolved around one single tale, "Kanon", by nature, is a story that places the attractive points of each character up front. That's why, rather than making the story revolve around a single heroine, we wish to portray all 5 heroines equally. We want to be able to make the fans of each heroine think "that was great" after watching the anime. And so, in order for us to portray 5 individuals properly, we plan to secure slots for 2 cours to make a total of 24 episodes. Since without this much room, we wouldn't be able to portray the character's personalities and their daily lives, which would make it hard for the viewers to feel empathy. Also, we want to avoid something like "Ayu's story until episode X", "Nayuki's story until episode X"...... We do not plan to compose the anime into something like a collection of short stories. We will make it so that episode 1 until 24 will all be connected as 1 whole story.

Q: Will it remain faithful to the original game?
A: The original game is treated very importantly for both Kyoto Animation and the directing team from Key, so all the attractive points from the game version will be properly reproduced. In the end, even if there are going to be original contents in the anime, they will not ruin the characters. This area was already proven in "AIR", so I don't think there should be any worries.

Q: Finally, please leave a message for the readers.
A: We will make an anime that can be enjoyable not only to the fans of "Kanon", but also to all the people who did not play the game as well. For the readers of G's Magazine who are familiar with the game, we hope you can look forward to seeing just what kind of anime Kyoto Animation will make, out of a wonderful story that doesn't fade away even 6 years after its release.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-06-17 at 16:27.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 19:33   Link #107
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thanks for the translation Sushi, i think its safe to say this new Kanon anime's gonna be pretty amazing.
Old 2006-03-28, 20:57   Link #108
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

While even a superb studio like Kyoto Animation probably won't be able to deliver the 130% quality over all 24 epsiodes, they can like AIR, pick and choose the most important scenes (fairly easy to determine from the game) and each episode and animate those, since you'll remember those the most anyway. For the rest of the ep, perhaps scaling the back the quality a bit for the sake of costs. Talking scenes for the win^^ Even AIR didn't have every single second of every scene as top notch, far from it.
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 21:06   Link #109
(o^^)-o*(x_x)*

Guess I'm gonna start downloading anime once again soon (Well Higurashi is coming out in April, so I guess sooner....)
(o^^)-o*(x_x)* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 23:45   Link #110
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
That's why, rather than making the story revolve around a single heroine, we wish to portray all 5 heroines equally.
That'll be awesome if they can pull that off--the only problem I had with Air was the side characters' stories went by so fast I can't remember their names. Each of the characters in Kanon has a compelling enough story they deserve equal attention. Although I wonder if this means they'll leave it open-ended to avoid upsetting any one girl's fans, or if they'll still have a "winner" in the end.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 01:17   Link #111
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2

24 Episodes long. That's good news.
Translation on the Q and A of this article by someone.
Q: What was the process that led to the decision to produce this anime?
A: It was mainly because last year, the "AIR" anime that was produced by Kyoto Animation was incredibly well received by the viewers. Along with that flow, we have received many calls from the viewers who wanted the same production company to animate "Kanon", another Key creation, as well. With that as a push, we realized this project.

Q: What was the reaction of KyotoAnimation from hearing this news?
A: Just like during "AIR", they're very excited to go at it. There are a lot of staff members who loved "Kanon" to begin with as well. Since they will be creating this with their own sentiments, I believe this will definately become a good creation.

Q: What are the highlights of this creation for you?
A: Although "AIR" was a story that revolved around one single tale, "Kanon", by nature, is a story that places the attractive points of each character up front. That's why, rather than making the story revolve around a single heroine, we wish to portray all 5 heroines equally. We want to be able to make the fans of each heroine think "that was great" after watching the anime. And so, in order for us to portray 5 individuals properly, we plan to secure slots for 2 cours to make a total of 24 episodes. Since without this much room, we wouldn't be able to portray the character's personalities and their daily lives, which would make it hard for the viewers to feel empathy. Also, we want to avoid something like "Ayu's story until episode X", "Nayuki's story until episode X"...... We do not plan to compose the anime into something like a collection of short stories. We will make it so that episode 1 until 24 will all be connected as 1 whole story.

Q: Will it remain faithful to the original game?
A: The original game is treated very importantly for both Kyoto Animation and the directing team from Key. We will faithfully reproduce all the good points from the game version. Result-wise, even if there's going to be original parts in the anime, they will not ruin the characters. This area was already proven in "AIR", so I don't think there should be any worries.

Q: Finally, please leave a message for the readers.
A: We will make an anime that can be enjoyable not only to the fans of "Kanon", but also to all the people who did not play the game as well. For the readers of G's Magazine who are familiar with the game, we hope you can look forward to seeing just what kind of anime Kyoto Animation will make, out of a wonderful story that doesn't fade away even 6 years after its release.
Marine-RX179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 01:41   Link #112
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine-RX179
Translation on the Q and A of this article by someone.
Yeah, by Sushi-Y like 5 posts above yours...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 12:16   Link #113
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I am hoping for more of Sayurin. Magical shoujo rocks.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 12:53   Link #114
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Honestly, what it all comes down to I think a lot of companies can spend their resources better doing other things that will actually bring them noteriety in the long run rather then a short term guaranteed cash grab.
I think I may have read somewhere that for Production I.G., Love Hina (a harem anime) may have partially funded Ghost in the Shell. Making anime is expensive, and though you may think some of them suck, many japanese don't think so, so thus the anime is a HIT and then the anime studio can then use the proceeds to pay for the losses from its other series. 10% of anime productions are hits. So imagine the risk they're taking all the time.

Sorry that was a bit off-topic.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 13:08   Link #115
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
I think I may have read somewhere that for Production I.G., Love Hina (a harem anime) may have partially funded Ghost in the Shell. Making anime is expensive, and though you may think some of them suck, many japanese don't think so, so thus the anime is a HIT and then the anime studio can then use the proceeds to pay for the losses from its other series. 10% of anime productions are hits. So imagine the risk they're taking all the time.

Sorry that was a bit off-topic.
You hit it right on the spot.

The majority of anime are intended to bring in cash for a larger project. Want to build a new Lexus factory somewhere in the U.S.? Toyota needs to see more Corollas and Camrys. Samething in the anime industry, except the bubble is seeming to grow to irrepairable situations.

Unfortunately, many companies are seemingly just applying a bandage to an open wound these days. They make an anime to recuperate losses for non-profitable shows. That anime in turn is also non-profitable, so they make more anime. It seems like an endless loop which scares the shit out of me. Yet, sponsors and financial firms continue to pour money into the anime industry with blind faith when there is no clear objective.

GONZO seems to be good at juggling between producing anime to generate cash flow for capital investment and creating a great anime for better ROI. While the new re-run of their "Samurai7" is still late at night, it was allowed the prestige of starting their re-run on the elite government-owned NHK. Anime that runs on NHK are subject to intense screening and approval as it is THE MOST prestigious TV station in Japan.

On the other hand, you have GAINAX. While they do make great anime, I don't know if their recent anime can be called a success. "Top o Nerae 2" has a big following, but I don't see it being appraised as much as it's predecessor. While "Mahoromatic," "Kono-Mini," and "Kore ga Watashi no Goshujin-sama," can be portrayed as anime that GAINAX made to bring in capital, I have my doubts. I'm still skeptical in actually investing in anime studios, but to my image GAINAX seems to be producing anime to tie an open wound that gets larger and larger. But then again, I don't listen to their conference calls (I don't know even if they have one), so I wouldn't know.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 00:28   Link #116
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
I'm pretty sure the producers have already considered that, let me translate that interview with the producer, shown in MakubeX's post.
Spoiler for saving space:
Thank you for that translation! as I've said in my previous post, Kyoto Animation deserves all the benefit of the doubt when it comes to animating. Hopefully they will set up a milestone for consistency in animating a series that is 24+ episodes in length.

As for the story itself, I'll held my comment till I see how the story is adjusted for an additional 12 episodes. It should be interesting nontheless.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 16:31   Link #117
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yeah I don't have to watch them, but what else is there. They are taking the place of projects that could exist, that I might find interesting. Is it any wonder that if you look at my Harddrive you won't find a single anime made past the year 2000 with maybe 1 exception, that being Full Metal Alchemist. I would have nothing against Hentai games, or even an anime based off of one if they weren't so painfully boring and annoying.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 22:41   Link #118
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Yeah I don't have to watch them, but what else is there. They are taking the place of projects that could exist, that I might find interesting. Is it any wonder that if you look at my Harddrive you won't find a single anime made past the year 2000 with maybe 1 exception, that being Full Metal Alchemist. I would have nothing against Hentai games, or even an anime based off of one if they weren't so painfully boring and annoying.
I doubt you have seen all the anime based versions to even qualify to say that they are boring or annoying.

nothing past 2000 ...that is pretty bad some of the better animes are from 2000
Old 2006-04-01, 00:36   Link #119
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well I'm rooting for Ayu! It's not good for the kids to have cousins pairing off.

At least with 24 episodes, some of those questions regarding those girls will get answered that wasn't dealt with in the original anime.

I just hope that Ayu has a better wardrobe this time around.
Old 2006-04-01, 02:24   Link #120
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Well I'm rooting for Ayu! It's not good for the kids to have cousins pairing off.
As someone repeatedly pointed out, even 1st cousin marriage is legal in some countries. So, go Nayuki

Last edited by npal; 2006-04-01 at 05:00.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen