AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-19, 13:55   Link #1
feedme

Got problems posting? No activation e-mail?

Hopefully this will save someone from pulling out their hair like I did.

Yahoo's spam filter treats email from "AnimeSuki Forum Mailer" as bulk mail. If you are newly registering (like I was) or changing your email address it's very easy to overlook or delete the verification email since it gets put in with the junk mail.

Without that email, you can't click the verification link within it and will not be able to post, etc.
Old 2004-03-19, 13:55   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Got problems posting? No activation e-mail?

Problems Posting?

If you are having trouble posting after joining the forum it is probably because you need to activate your account. When you join an "activation code" is sent to the e-mail address you signed up with (this is to make sure it is a valid e-mail address). If you entered a valid e-mail address you should receive the e-mail pretty quickly (with in a few minutes).

If you did not get the e-mail please check that you are able to receive e-mail from the forum. The Yahoo! e-mail service often marks our e-mail as spam, for example -- even though it isn't. If you use spam filtering please check that AnimeSuki e-mails are allowed through the filter or that it is switched off while trying to activate your account. If you cannot do either of these, make sure you can at least check what e-mails were marked as spam (i.e. that they are still deliverable, maybe to a "spam" folder or similar).

Once you are sure you can receive e-mails from this forum please use the E-Mail Activation Codes form to have the forum software re-send you the activation code.

If you still have problems with this, either because you are not getting the e-mails or you can't use the e-mail once you do get it, please contact a member of the forum staff for assistance. When contacting us please use the PM feature (which you can use to talk to Administrators even without activating) and include details such as the e-mail address you are trying to activate and a copy of any activation e-mail you received.

Note: The above also applies if you change your email address after account activation.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-13 at 12:35.
Old 2004-03-19, 18:31   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Oh heck! I'm going to have to put this into the next version of the Forum Rules and FAQ.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-20, 05:25   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well one possible solution could be to just simply ban @yahoo.com addresses
from registering. This way it'll probably save us a LOT of activation mail resending.

(note that current forum users will be able to keep their @yahoo.com address
on AnimeSuki should this be implemented, it'll just be new users that will be
prevented from using one)

Of course... this solution may be a little overkill...
Old 2004-03-20, 05:35   Link #5
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Maybe someone should contact yahoo about our e-mail's not being spam so that they can correct their spamfilter?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-20, 06:29   Link #6
LynnieS

I should also note that mailblocks.com's site makes AnimeSuki's verification e-mail disappear. I made an e-mail address change approx. 2 1/2 weeks or so ago, and as of today, 20 March, had not seen the verification e-mail yet. The one that NightWish kindly pushed out also never made it into my mailbox.

OTOH, you can get around the challenge/acknowledgement protocol if you create a filter meant for AnimeSuki e-mails and use the filter e-mail address in the User CP form.
Old 2004-03-21, 09:56   Link #7
feedmeister
kaigunjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Maybe someone should contact yahoo about our e-mail's not being spam so that they can correct their spamfilter?

My concern is that other spam filters may be reacting the same way and this is affecting more than just yahoo mail users. Contacting yahoo will only cure the symptom not the problem.

I'm not sure exactly how their spam filter is set up but it may not be affecting everthing from AnimeSuki. (All I know for sure is that every verification email sent to me went to my bulkmail) Yahoo's filter may have seen too many emails from AnimeSuki with identical subject lines and so treats the verification messages as bulk spam. Maybe the verification emails could be set up to include the username in the subject line which would make each one unique.
Old 2004-03-21, 10:34   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sorry feedmeister, but could you explain why you have two accounts here in the forums (feedme and feedmeister).

We specifically ask people not to create multiple accounts in the forum rules.
  • Do not use more than one member account concurrently
    Lately some forum members have been creating and using more than one member account to appear as more than one person on the forum. This behaviour is no longer tolerated. Use only one account over a period of time and do not frequently change accounts. If you want a different username please contact an Administrator.
Old 2004-03-21, 13:15   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

xris:
That has to do with the sign-up problems. He already asked me to axe his "feedme"
account, but since he posted with it, I'm not to keen on it (for database reasons). Of
course if he just keeps using one of the two and never uses the other, it's fine with me.
Old 2004-03-22, 08:44   Link #10
feedmeister
kaigunjin

No worries! I'm feedmeister from now on.

I only created feedme to try and sort out why I never could post with feedmeister. Now that I know what I know, I realize that I could have just changed the email address on my first account.
Old 2004-10-06, 14:38   Link #11
Grey land
Minerva

My friend, whose nick is Battosai, said that when he clicked on the link in his Bulk Mail, it said:

We could not activate your account because this web address is not valid. Make sure that you have the entire address from the email, and that your email client has not split the address over several lines.

He couldn't use the activation form either....
Old 2006-06-14, 14:09   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Feedmeister
Well I changed my E-mail some time ago...
I had an Yahoo account and I switched to Hotmail...
The forum software requires you to verify... basically it sends you an E-mail similar to the one you receive on registration...

Guess what... Hotmail classified the E-mail from AnimeSuki (forums@animesuki.com) as junk mail ... I smell a conspiracy ...

So going back to GHDpro original overkill solution... Hotmail users would also need to be banned...
That reminds me... when the E-mail from AnimeSuki is in the Junk E-Mail folder... the links won't work... of course you simply have to open it... and answer the simple question above it... "Is this junk..." or something like that... and it gets moved to the Inbox...
Well just in case someone has problems...
Old 2006-06-14, 14:57   Link #13
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

^ Kinda pointless to quote and reply to posts which are already almost two years old.
Old 2006-06-14, 23:38   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Shiryuu
Yes I know... ^___^
But I like to anchor my posts in other posts for thread continuity... even if the posts were 3 years old ... for example

I'm aware feedmeister is probably gone and Grey land as well... but if I started a new thread just for my post above... then it would just get moved here... *thinks of the forum policy *

Last edited by felix; 2006-09-08 at 07:21.
Old 2007-05-04, 20:57   Link #15
setiawan

sir i,m sorry but i'm still new for join to a forum i don't even know how to make a post to a forum if don't mid would you like to help me to explain it
Old 2007-05-05, 01:28   Link #16
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Do it just like that. You have successfully made a post to a forum.

I'm afraid I have no clue what your problem is.

Old 2009-06-30, 16:57   Link #17
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Exclamation Bouncing Email

Update: It has come to my attention that we are currently (and have been for a while) unable to send email to @sbcglobal.net addresses, and any email address going through AT&T's mail exchangers. It would appear that this is because this server (the forum) has found its way to a DNS Blacklist they use and thus they are rejecting our emails. This means the email won't even appear in your spam/junk folders (or whatever they offer on their web mail service), let alone your inbox.

Given we do not send spam and we are not an open proxy, they have (or the list they are using has) incorrectly included us or they have some technical problem. Apparently other organisations have noticed similar problems (with AT&T) earlier in the year. When they asked why they are being blocked they were told that they were not on the list so couldn't be removed.

Suffice to say, for the time being you will not be able to register with an @sbcglobal.net email address and anyone who has will be unable to receive notification emails, etc. I'll update this post as and when I find similar email address domains that are blocking us. If and when they unblock us, I will likewise remove them from the list.
List of email addresses affected:
  • @sbcglobal.net
  • @att.net

Last edited by NightWish; 2009-12-30 at 13:18.
Old 2014-06-03, 08:24   Link #18
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Be careful with the "Report Spam" button

A little while back I changed the way the forum sends email, it now goes through a professional email sending service that can give me easy insight in which emails are delivered and which are not.

One important feature of this email sending service is that it supports email Feedback loop (FBL). This means essentially that with certain providers, if you hit the "Report Spam" button on one of the emails the forum sends our provider will get notified.

When our email sending provider receives a report from you that you clicked the "Report Spam" button for a forum email it will blacklist your email address for 1 year. Meaning, you will not receive any more mail from the forum for that period.

Needless to say that could cause some issues if for example you need to reset your password or want to receive notifications from the forum. You can use the Contact Us feature to contact us if you might have accidentally marked email from the forum as spam.
Closed Thread

Tags
new members