Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-20, 20:04   Link #21
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
-Rozen Maiden Traumend (obviously, but still, trying to make a point here)
Well, this is probably true because RM will have a sequel, since the Manga's still on the making.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-03-20, 20:14   Link #22
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

@ jedinat Yeah you did misunderstand (it's very common for me), I was talking about my own insanity (Which is peak performance for some :P)...I guess i was talking more along the lines of closure, not that most of those titles don't end...

Quote:
and that is but a fraction of the anime I've watched.
I'm sure if I posted a fraction of my anime list your jaw would drop aswell...But like I said, not too many animes have a sense of closure eventhough they end (and that's mostly because of what's in my spoiler tab)...

Quote:
Other type of series that tend to have definite ending are the so called "mind fuckers" like Serial Experiments Lain or Boogiepop Phantom (my guess is that by the end of the series the animators have been arrested because of drug overdosing, so they don't have the time anymore )
Yah...Don't forget Paranoia Agent too....
Old 2006-03-20, 20:19   Link #23
miaka

I second with tiny snow fairy sugar and Yuyu Hakusho.
Other anime that i considered has a nice closure ..
scrapped princess - the issue was resolved so it ended.
Houshin Engi
Ginban Kaleidoscope
Old 2006-03-20, 20:24   Link #24
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
@ jedinat Yeah you did misunderstand (it's very common for me), I was talking about my own insanity (Which is peak performance for some :P)...I guess i was talking more along the lines of closure, not that most of those titles don't end...

I'm sure if I posted a fraction of my anime list your jaw would drop aswell...But like I said, not too many animes have a sense of closure eventhough they end (and that's mostly because of what's in my spoiler tab)...
Yes, just ignore those comments, which I tried to edit out. Heaven forbid two anime fans contest over how much anime they've seen. (4,000 episodes in my year since being introduced to the medium is just embarrassing)
Old 2006-03-21, 10:49   Link #25
Jayn_Newell

Few things have a true ending, unless, as someone suggested, everyone dies. Life never ends, so it's hard to have an ending where everything is tied up--life goes on, and there'll always be things left over. Personally, I think a lot of shows have pretty good endings, meaning they don't really leave you wanting more. The main plot-line is over, the rest doesn't need to be told (Although, if you want a horrid non-closure ending, watch Xenosaga. I'm sure the story will be continued as more games come out, but the series as it stands now only closes off one of about a dozen plot-points which get introduced)

As for suggestions...Ayashi no Ceres/Celestial Legend? FLCL? You've probably watched a lot more anime than me, so I'm not sure what to suggest that you probably haven't already seen.
Old 2006-03-21, 11:09   Link #26
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayn_Newell
As for suggestions...Ayashi no Ceres/Celestial Legend? FLCL? You've probably watched a lot more anime than me, so I'm not sure what to suggest that you probably haven't already seen.
Already saw FLCL, but never heard about the other one. I'll be sure to keep that title in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
I second with tiny snow fairy sugar and Yuyu Hakusho.
Other anime that i considered has a nice closure ..
scrapped princess - the issue was resolved so it ended.
Houshin Engi
Ginban Kaleidoscope
Heard a lot of good things about Scrapped Princess in the past, must be a good watch for sure.
Old 2006-03-21, 11:32   Link #27
migus_parvus

Saikano, it ends literally. the oav is just an alternate point of view of the original series which follows the manga. The movie also follows the manga. warning though dont watch it if you are faint of heart.
Old 2006-03-21, 12:31   Link #28
stretch87
Anime Addict

the only anime taht i've watched with clear ending is Fantastic Children. overall, i though the series sucked, but it did end exactly how i wanted it to
Old 2006-03-21, 12:34   Link #29
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Those I've seen that's ended include two CLAMP series, Angelic Layer and Chobits (mainly because CLAMP timed the mangas to end at about the same time as the animes, even though the stories diverged, as is usual with CLAMP's marketing strategies). X/TV also pretty much concludes itself, though the manga is still "officially" ongoing. (X manga is in hiatus for all intents and purpose, due to CLAMP having a writer's block and focusing on Tsubasa Chronicle and xxxHolic. )

I don't know if Monster is considered an end, since it's "open-ending" is straight from the last panel of the last manga chapter.

The DN Angel anime also leaves no room for a sequel it seems.

Gundam WING Endless Waltz OVA concludes the Gundam WING story for good.

That's all I can think of for now.
Old 2006-03-21, 13:13   Link #30
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Is it just me, or most of the things I watch have an end more or less? Depends on how final you want the end to be. If you want to have a summary about every character's life, then most endings won't suit you. If you want an ending that concludes THE PLOT alone, most of them do. The problem is not the ending usually, it's the attachment to the characters that makes people want more. You can't expect every anime to give you an epilogue portraying every character's life until the bitter end.
Old 2006-03-21, 16:31   Link #31
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Last exile has a excellent coclusion, and it ends the plot. The ending itself is very good, and happy. The mood is also great, you will enjoy the ending for this show, for sure.
Old 2006-03-21, 17:25   Link #32
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Is it just me, or most of the things I watch have an end more or less? Depends on how final you want the end to be. If you want to have a summary about every character's life, then most endings won't suit you. If you want an ending that concludes THE PLOT alone, most of them do. The problem is not the ending usually, it's the attachment to the characters that makes people want more. You can't expect every anime to give you an epilogue portraying every character's life until the bitter end.
I am not exactly asking for a specific type of ending, just something that has a nice and satisfying conclusion.

Of course,you are right in that pretty much everything depends on each person POV. If you are expecting something from and ending and the show in question delivers it, then that show truly has ended for you.
Old 2006-03-21, 19:55   Link #33
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Geh, that was an awful ending. There was absolutely no reason for such a cheerful kiddy show to go the depressing route in the end.
Well, if you didn't like that ending, Pita-ten's ending was even better in my humble opinion.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-03-21, 20:27   Link #34
Js2756
Thread Killer

Maison Ikkoku had a definitive ending, you find out what happened to pretty much every main character in the series.

Other shows where the main conflict is resolved:
Koi Kaze
Haibane Renmei
Mai Hime
Mahoromatic
Both versions of Record of Lodoss War
Chrno Crusade
Air
Based on what the show was about, Azumanga Daioh has a definitive ending.
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto (Someday's Dreamers)

I'm just curious as to what people consider to be a definitive ending. Most of the shows above don't give you a full drawn out description of what happens for the rest of the life of the characters, but all the conflicts are resolved and there isn't really any room for a second season. Sure, you could come up with a story about what happens to Rakka in Haibane Renmei after the ending, but given what the show is about, it does pretty much end. So what defines an ending as a definitive ending?
Old 2006-03-21, 21:21   Link #35
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Saikano - it definitely ends....literally.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-03-21, 21:35   Link #36
kira_lacusXX
LOVELY☆COMPLEX

i guess shuffle kinda ended pretty much. air ended too but it will leave you as confused as hell [well at least it did for me]. and yeh rmt definitely ended unless rozen suddenly had another plan to get alice which involves destroying the dolls again. i think dn angel had i really good ending. card captor sakura has a pretty steady ending too i think, if you watch the movies as well.
Old 2006-03-22, 16:10   Link #37
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
Last exile has a excellent coclusion, and it ends the plot. The ending itself is very good, and happy. The mood is also great, you will enjoy the ending for this show, for sure.
Totally agree. Great show from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756
Maison Ikkoku had a definitive ending, you find out what happened to pretty much every main character in the series.
I am pretty sure I can borrow this one from a friend. Guess it's time to call him.

Well, I sure got a lot of replys this time around. A very big thanks to all the people that took the time to post here.

See you around.
Old 2006-03-22, 20:06   Link #38
Noodlehead
Noodlehead is not edible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
Totally agree. Great show from start to finish.
I third this, except for one small, unresolved matter that sort of ruined the mood for me at the last episode:

Spoiler:

~ Noodlehead
Old 2006-03-22, 23:03   Link #39
Kaiko

Gundam SEED couldn't have an ending...it had a sequel...and another sequel coming out
Old 2006-03-22, 23:50   Link #40
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiko
Gundam SEED couldn't have an ending...it had a sequel...and another sequel coming out
It's possible to wring a sequel out of anything... especially a Gundam anime. (from what I hear the sequels suck)
Closed Thread