AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-05-31, 22:49   Link #41
Suomi
Kaiba

Just finished S3. Last two episodes? BEST Doctor Who episodes ever written so far, in my opinion. Most emotional too. Beautifully, masterfully done.
I cried in the last one...
Looking forward to the return of Donna, though. Martha was just...no. I kinda got to like her in the last few episodes when she really matured, though.
Old 2012-05-31, 22:59   Link #42
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
She's a Sue though. A TOTAL Sue. Her knowledge, her abilities, her origins....it's all ridiculous! She feels like exactly like self-insertion character from a bad fanfic...though you think she'd be more attractive.... But I don't even think she's pretty in the lowest form of the word. o_O
That's kind of the point, she's introduced when she is the experienced character and the doctor is still a relative novice. That's a fairly interesting role reversal of the normal companions who tend to be dazzled and look up to the time lord.

As for Alax Kingston's looks, well that's in the eye of the beholder. She is not a classic beauty but then beauty is only of minor relevance in determining whether a persons is attractive or not.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 01:47   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, I liked River at first but I totally came to dread her appearances. I don't want the Doctor to have a love interest, and I don't want a fan insert who knows everything. Every time she says "Spoilers" I want to shove that book down her throat.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 13:59   Link #44
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I don't care if that's the point...I still hate her. XD EVEN HER NAME IS MARY-SUE.

River Song!? Give me a break! XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Every time she says "Spoilers" I want to shove that book down her throat.
DAMN straight, Guardian, damn straight!
Old 2012-06-02, 21:00   Link #45
james0246

My problem with Alax Kingston's River Song is not the Mary Sue quality of her character (which will change and become less knowledgeable the more experienced the doctor becomes (I can't wait to see the Doctor meet a River Song that knows nothing about their marriage)), but the fact that I'm always reminded of her character from ER every time I see her.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 03:33   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hearing "The Doctor" and "Marriage" in the same sentence makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
Old 2012-06-03, 13:45   Link #47
Suomi
Kaiba

Started S4, got through the first three episodes. The coolest part: The Doctor snapping his fingers and having the hosts fly him up through the ceiling (Voyage of the Damned).. Donna's insane amount of luggage (Adipose) made me laugh. She's a very typical woman in that regard--but I love her no less.
THE HOLOGRAM OF ROSE FREAKED ME OUT. (Adipose) I mean...holy crap. what. was. that??
I love Ten so much I might just quit after this season and the specials.
Old 2012-06-03, 21:12   Link #48
Chiibi

Yeah, it was incredibly difficult for me to get over Tennant leaving the show....actually I'm probably still not over it.
Old 2012-06-04, 00:49   Link #49
GundamFan0083

I'm surprised nobody posted this yet.

Old 2012-06-04, 09:43   Link #50
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Hearing "The Doctor" and "Marriage" in the same sentence makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
Right?

Endless "I share your pain, brother" Soul
Old 2012-06-04, 16:00   Link #51
Suomi
Kaiba

I have to give the writers and people credit for how they've slipped Rose in--the hologram, the communicator int he Tardis...you'd never notice if you weren't paying attention. (Though it also says "Rose Tyler: Billie Piper" in the credits ) I have to say though, I'm starting to love Donna even more than Rose.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:19   Link #52
james0246

For a series that has always played with the idea of the humanity and the non-humanity within the Doctor, marriage, or at least a romantic relationship, was really a very obvious character arc (in that regard, River is a far more compelling romantic lead than Rose, even if both are fairly annoying most of the time). I personally love the idea of the Doctor being married, and I can't wait to see how he screws it up (and he will).

Whatever the case, the marriage will be null once the character changes faces once again. So, let the writers experiment for now, and just wait a few years to get your more "traditional" Doctor.
Old 2012-06-05, 22:50   Link #53
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(in that regard, River is a far more compelling romantic lead than Rose
Oh hell no. River's so freaking forced...she and the Doctor have NO chemistry at all. I find nothing good about River.
Sorry, I'm probably bashing her too much but I really really really REALLY don't like her. I don't like her actress and from a writer's point of view...her character is so......fanficky...., to quote Nostalgia Chick. XD

I don't really get why people find Rose annoying though. I liked her a lot. She was human and she acted like it. But she was also a sweet character and I liked all of her interaction with both 9 and 10. They were a cute team.

And yeah, Donna's my second favorite companion. She gets the funniest lines!

"........I can't believe I'm waving at FAT!"

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-06-05 at 23:08.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 23:36   Link #54
Suomi
Kaiba

Quote:

I don't really get why people find Rose annoying though. I liked her a lot. She was human and she acted like it. But she was also a sweet character and I liked all of her interaction with both 9 and 10. They were a cute team.

And yeah, Donna's my second favorite companion. She gets the funniest lines!

"........I can't believe I'm waving at FAT!"
Me too! Rose was amazing. I miss her. At least I get two more ep's with her. Still, RosexTen forever... (I could care less about Nine himself, or him with Rose, whatever)

YES. And Donna gets all the sass. "I'll have a salute!" and then lecturing Ten about his daughter in The Doctor's Daughter.
And then her emotional moments, like in the Pompeii episode...

Ok. The adipose were cute, you must admit...
and Ten's face when he peeks over the cubicle...WAH. Adorable.
Old 2012-06-06, 00:45   Link #55
james0246

Quote:
Oh hell no. River's so freaking forced...she and the Doctor have NO chemistry at all. I find nothing good about River.
Sorry, I'm probably bashing her too much but I really really really REALLY don't like her. I don't like her actress and from a writer's point of view...her character is so......fanficky...., to quote Nostalgia Chick. XD
Not really discussing the actresses (though I do think Alex Kingston is a far better actress than Billie Piper), but the character was built to act completely different from any other character we've seen in the series thus far. Whereas most characters immediately fall all over themselves when around the Doctor, River not only knows as much as he does, but she can even befuddled him, something very few other characters ever do.

To put it in perspective, I never liked the potential relationship between 10 and Rose because the two characters were never actually equal to each other. Rose was always a step behind or needing to be rescued. True, she helped ground 9 and 10 (and I always felt that Billie Piper was at her best with 9), but she never really challenged him (this is, of course, debatable).

River, though, is truly the Doctor's equal, or at least as close as a character can get to being an equal to the Doctor. You may consider this to be "fanficky", but this is the only way to give the Doctor a semi-realistic relationship.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:30   Link #56
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Rosé was no favorite of mine, but I did like Donna a lot. She as totally different than the vast majority of assistants The Doctor has had, and I liked that.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:31   Link #57
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Seeing there's an actress discussion going on now; I've been watching the First Doctor and the female characters seem to scream alot.

How long is this going to last lol, really they are quite annoying and Susan especially doesn't seem to get any better.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 01:40   Link #58
james0246

Quote:
Rosé was no favorite of mine, but I did like Donna a lot. She as totally different than the vast majority of assistants The Doctor has had, and I liked that.
I liked Donna because she was clearly unimpressed by the Doctor while still having lots of fun but with a distinct brand of sadness and a constant desire to belong (which was a reflection of Tenant's version of the Doctor as an alien that wanted desperately to be human).
Old 2012-06-06, 05:14   Link #59
Bri

Unlike the previous companions Catherine Tate is a very experienced actress. She and Tennant are of the same age and quite well matched. Love the banter between the two.

A sketch with her and Tennant:

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 09:53   Link #60
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Whereas most characters immediately fall all over themselves when around the Doctor, River not only knows as much as he does, but she can even befuddled him, something very few other characters ever do.
That's kind of...why I hate her.

Quote:
Seeing there's an actress discussion going on now; I've been watching the First Doctor and the female characters seem to scream alot.
Um....would you not be screaming if aliens were constantly trying to KILL you?

Tags
science fiction