AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-10, 05:29   Link #21
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Macross hasn't really stuck to those kind of tropes before, it's gonna be very dificult to call, besides if Alto wants a japanese gal he could really just go for Nanase. Anyway this being Anime you can be sure that both Lanka and Sheryl are half japanese anyway, rendering the point moot.
Old 2008-04-10, 08:29   Link #22
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
The long-hair and short-hair relationship that posters above me posted is also a good indicator.
And if Alto gets a haircut do we lock in Alto and Sheryl at that point? For someone certain about the final pairing you're kind of forgetting that Lanca will have to go through becoming a massive star, not something that Hikaru and Minmei dealt with rather well was it? I see some Hayase in Sheryl...

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-10 at 08:52.
Old 2008-04-10, 11:37   Link #23
lixuelai

Quote:
Alto is going to end up with Lanca. It's so obvious. There's no way that the male Japanese-styled lead (Alto) would end with with a foreign woman (Sheryl). Lanca being moe is also a dead ringer that she's the main female lead.

I can't name one anime where the Japanese-styled lead ended up with the foreign woman. In the original they even played Menmei as being Chinese so Hayase was going to win by default.

Every culture has their media reflect their own respective ideals and archetypes. I expect Macross Frontier to be no different.

I expect their to be a love triangle between Sherly, Alto and Lanca, but I'm 99% sure Lanca is going to win. It feels like a dead giveaway from the first episode.

Lance might have a Chinese surname, but she and Alto are closer to the ideal Japanese couple than Alto and Sheryl.

The long-hair and short-hair relationship that posters above me posted is also a good indicator.

Lol IMO Hayase from the original looked pretty European Hard to say at this point but I would like a Ranka ending since she has more similarities with Minmay and Iv always liked Minmay more than Hayase. The HikaruxHayase relationship seemed kind of forced, a bit more natural in the movie though.
Old 2008-04-10, 16:14   Link #24
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

And thanks to the Ep 2 ending animation we now know her name is officially spelled "Ranka Lee"

Spoiler for Big HD Picture:
Old 2008-04-10, 16:38   Link #25
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

NOOOOOOOOoooooo, Lanka has died, my poor dear Lanka, how short a life you have lead, Macross F has now had it's first major character death, and how early, we'll never forget you Lanka.

Things will never be the same again
Old 2008-04-10, 17:06   Link #26
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Anyways I'd say that Sheryl has a shot. But in the end I hope Ranka wins out. Basing it pretty much on initial impressions I've liked Ranka as a character more than Sheryl. Obviously a ton of show to go, but that's where I currently sit on it.

Not much familiarity with the series so making the call as I see it. At least from the start Ranka has shown a personality I like.
Old 2008-04-10, 21:08   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well Ranka Lee officially became my first new avatar in ages with this freaky ass smile. That girl ain't right.....
Old 2008-04-10, 22:48   Link #28
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Anyways I'd say that Sheryl has a shot. But in the end I hope Ranka wins out. Basing it pretty much on initial impressions I've liked Ranka as a character more than Sheryl. Obviously a ton of show to go, but that's where I currently sit on it.

Not much familiarity with the series so making the call as I see it. At least from the start Ranka has shown a personality I like.
I think you're suppose to like Ranka (r.i.p lanca/lanka) better at the start but I'm sure she will piss off people as her star grows while people will warm up to Sheryl as she stops being (less) divaish/bitchy.
Old 2008-04-10, 23:56   Link #29
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Ranka definitely should get the award for most inappropriate number of positions with Aruto in an episode including the next episode (episode #3) preview.
Old 2008-04-11, 01:26   Link #30
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I think you're suppose to like Ranka (r.i.p lanca/lanka) better at the start but I'm sure she will piss off people as her star grows while people will warm up to Sheryl as she stops being (less) divaish/bitchy.
Well if they were trying for that they did an alright job. But perhaps what they didn't expect is in these situations I get locked in pretty quickly and it's tough to jump ship so to speak

At the very least should be an interesting ride.
Old 2008-04-11, 01:30   Link #31
orion

Nah. Ranka is too much of a sweatheart to get a diva personality. That's her Mylene side.

Besides alien bait don't become divas.
Old 2008-04-11, 01:36   Link #32
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Lol! Din't know my post would stir up this kind of reaction!

Quote:
Even if I hate to admit it (I also Ranka atm more than Sheryl), there is a great posibility that this will happen.

I personaly hope Ranka stays a nice character with Sheryl stop being bitchy.
It's always better with two sympathic girls fighting over the main lead.

So it also seems that Ranka is 1/4 Zentradi.
Also interessting is that the Vajra seemed to attack a ship she was on in the past.
Old 2008-04-11, 05:53   Link #33
Tabris

Quote:
I hope not, I like Ranka the way she is now.

Cute and sweet.
Old 2008-04-11, 08:15   Link #34
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well Ranka Lee officially became my first new avatar in ages with this freaky ass smile. That girl ain't right.....
Well if you are playing "Hide and Seek" with an alien race, I'm sure you wouldn't have a nice smile either. She can't stay lucky for too much longer.

We know that part of her is Zentradi (Meltlandi) but what about the rest? Meltlandi didn't have hair that they can control in the past releases IIRC.
Old 2008-04-11, 08:15   Link #35
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
My mind just can't imagine the thought of hating Ranka --- sorry about that.
Old 2008-04-11, 22:16   Link #36
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Alto is going to end up with Lanca. It's so obvious. There's no way that the male Japanese-styled lead (Alto) would end with with a foreign woman (Sheryl). Lanca being moe is also a dead ringer that she's the main female lead.

I can't name one anime where the Japanese-styled lead ended up with the foreign woman. In the original they even played Menmei as being Chinese so Hayase was going to win by default.
Uh... Hibiki Kanzaki X Sylvie Gena? (and how about Isamu X Myung, Basara X Mylene and Shin X Sara?)

Unless I am misunderstanding your definition of "Japanese-styled lead"... But yeah, Macross has a history of Japanese X Non-Japanese, with the original being the only exception, apparently...
Old 2008-04-11, 22:54   Link #37
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Uh... Hibiki Kanzaki X Sylvie Gena? (and how about Isamu X Myung, Basara X Mylene and Shin X Sara?)

Unless I am misunderstanding your definition of "Japanese-styled lead"... But yeah, Macross has a history of Japanese X Non-Japanese, with the original being the only exception, apparently...
to tell you the truth, the only Japanese thing about Isamu is his first name.

Dunno any Japanese with surname of Dyson.

Unless he's the heir to Dyson Conglomerate Heavy Industries. Weapon manufacturers and full-sized Zentradi vacuum cleaners. With patent miclone filter cyclone Technology (Galaxy Patent 2000-2060)

Old 2008-04-12, 02:14   Link #38
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Probably half japanese, all foreign anime characters are half japanese (do I need to repeat myself????)
Old 2008-04-12, 05:32   Link #39
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post

With what happened to Myung, I wouldn't call Isamu and Myung a couple. They were more like 2 ex who can't cut the cord. That girl had some issues.
Old 2008-04-12, 07:38   Link #40
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
to tell you the truth, the only Japanese thing about Isamu is his first name.
Isamu's father was Japanese... He took his mother's last name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
With what happened to Myung, I wouldn't call Isamu and Myung a couple. They were more like 2 ex who can't cut the cord. That girl had some issues.
Yeah, true... But it was still the surviving "couple" of the love polygons, and the movie made it seem like it still worked.

Shin and Sara didn't exactly end up happily ever after either... (though I guess you could interpret it that way from the ending of Zero)