AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-19, 18:38   Link #901
HandofFate

Did I miss it, but how did Kanede sprain her finger?
Seemed they just went "oh she sprained her finger" and that's it without showing when it happened.

ROFL, Arata is so damn serious business. Take it easy for a while.

For the kurata team matches, does each pairing have the same cards on the field, or does each pairing have a totally random set of poems? Because not every poem is used right?
Old 2013-04-19, 22:48   Link #902
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
For the kurata team matches, does each pairing have the same cards on the field, or does each pairing have a totally random set of poems? Because not every poem is used right?
Didn't they mention it a while ago? If I remember correctly, only 50 out of 100 cards are used. Each player has 25 cards. The complete victory is taking 25 cards from the opponents. If the opponent makes the fault, the bonus point is given.

Poor Shinobu. T_T Arata ignores her. She just wants to have conversation as an old friend. She even show off her cute Snowmaru underwear. When she tells him that she's leaving, Arata only asks her to watch the final. The final has several future Queen candidates, but they may not be at Shinbu's level yet. Shinobu seems bored, but she still listen to Arata. T_T
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 22:57   Link #903
garbage

Quote:

yes that's my question there too, since their comments are the same I tink they all have the same set of cards. Most probably some sort of official draws the 50 random cards but then each pair receive in the team Match (actually all 4 teams) the same cards.

well thinking back that seems to be the case since, remember in a previous match ( & some others IIRC) all pairs are down to 1 card (the luck scene) and it's all the same card (highly improbable if different pairs used different random set cards) so I guess it really is done like this.
Old 2013-04-20, 02:27   Link #904
YourIdeas

Quote:
50 cards per game, and I'm thinking that for team matches, each separate game (5 in a team) should have its own random set of cards. The anime just likes these multiple luck-of-the-draw moments and the scenes where all five members of Mizusawa swipe at the Chihayaburu card.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 03:46   Link #905
hai_san

Watching ep 15, even the renowned Fujisaki players are weirdos
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 10:04   Link #906
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I liked how Shinobu didn't feel embarrassed undressing in front of guys. She only cares about Karuta... and snowmaru. Cute underwear by the way (they still make them her size...?). I'm glad Arata managed to convince her to watch the final. Her point of view will be interesting. She will surely change her mind when she realizes how passionate Chihaya and the others are. I assume she still remembers Chihaya since she pissed her off quite a bit last year, so looking forward to her reaction when she sees how much she's improved.

The Fujisaki guys are pretty funny lol. Taichi sees a resemblance between the captain and Arata but I can't say that I do. Not to mention they couldn't be more different on the inside. I never expected that guy to be such a hopeless pervert . Thanks to him we got to find out Kana and the Fujisaki coach's cup size.

Although they're all a bit quirky, we shouldn't forget they're top class opponents. They're all A class save for Rion, so that means it will be almost impossible for Tsutomu and Tsukuba to win their matches. Victory lies in the hand of Nishida, Chihaya and Taichi. Nishida better not mess up once again. As I expected, Rion got to play against Chihaya. Even though she's only B class, it's obvious she will be a tough opponent. I'm sure Chihaya will win this time though.

It's a shame Kana got injured. I'm afraid this will impede her in the individual tournament, or even prevent her from playing altogether.
Old 2013-04-20, 10:09   Link #907
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I hope Taichi wasn't put off by that psychological line being drawn because it would be great if it actually pissed him off and made him more determined than ever to prove his opponent wrong.

Though maybe I'm just hoping for a cliché "Namen nayo!" scene.

And Shinobu continues to win the show for me with her antics. I'm curious what she'll make of Chihaya's match.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 10:15   Link #908
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
50 cards per game, and I'm thinking that for team matches, each separate game (5 in a team) should have its own random set of cards. The anime just likes these multiple luck-of-the-draw moments and the scenes where all five members of Mizusawa swipe at the Chihayaburu card.
I've read most every link from a search for "competitive team karuta" and do not see any indication that the players hold the same hands. Everything indicates that they each deal twenty-five of the hundred cards and arrange them as they wish.

The writers and directors often choose probabilistically unlikely events to heighten the drama on screen. In Tsutomu's decisive match against Akashi Girls, there were six cards left of which two were on the field. All four unmatched cards were read first, and event that happens only 6.7% of the time.
TL;DR…
probability calculation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
By the way, my search turned up this useful page on the Chihayafuru wiki with descriptions and illustrations of strategies and moves used in karuta.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-04-20 at 12:25.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 10:21   Link #909
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

This pacing is killing me. I love how the matches this season are so incredibly detailed but hell it's hard not to wish the gods that next week would come faster with episodes like these.
Old 2013-04-20, 10:49   Link #910
LKK

How do they do that? How can the show make a simple set-up episode last for 23 minutes and make it feel like it's only 10 minutes long? I love these insights into the opponents' characters. It makes the competition feel much more personal.

I love that Taichi has cast his opponent as an Arata stand-in. Team play is Taichi's strong point. I hope that by beating this class A player, this ghost of Arata, he can get over whatever is holding him back in individual competition so that he gets the A class ranking he deserves.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 11:36   Link #911
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_kisara View Post
Its the team finals! I don't care if Mizusawa loses just as long as Chihaya wins against Rion! And Taichi's facing the pervert Arata-clone, this is really going to be a tough match for all of them!
Well, Fujisaki's ace is the guy Taichi's playing with. Rion must be tough even though she's still B class, but she shouldn't be much of a problem for Chihaya.
Old 2013-04-20, 12:08   Link #912
inisipis

With all the build-up we get of Rion as a player from past episodes, we should expect that she will be quite good, perhaps future queen contender. I assume that since her grandmother is a famous reader, her strength could be the same as Chihaya, able recognize the poem by hearing the first syllable through her super ears.

I find it funny that the Fujisaki's captain fantasize Kana and his Ice-queen coach. Well she is Hot though, so I guess we can see one of his motivation in joining her team.

Speaking about coaches, it's quite nice to show the different personalities of most the teams coach. Like how Fujisaki's is cold and calculated. Hokuo is very supportive but very weak-willed, Akashi is so emotional and passionate, while the empress tries her best to support the team in a sport she have little knowledge of. (the nerdy school team's coach just want to get home)

Queen Shinobu is always lovable. Arata seems to be the only person she takes seriously. Lol, that kiddy Snowmaru underwear.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 12:39   Link #913
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
With all the build-up we get of Rion as a player from past episodes, we should expect that she will be quite good, perhaps future queen contender. I assume that since her grandmother is a famous reader, her strength could be the same as Chihaya, able recognize the poem by hearing the first syllable through her super ears.
She gets all that build-up because she's going to play Chihaya. It doesn't necessarily mean she's that good. Anyway, let's just wait and see.

EDIT: Now that I think about it. Taichi might get to play against Rion in the B class tournament that comes after the team tournament...

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-04-20 at 13:13.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 14:05   Link #914
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
EDIT: Now that I think about it. Taichi might get to play against Rion in the B class tournament that comes after the team tournament...
Until we met Rion, my bet was that Taichi would go against Retro-kun for the B class final round tournament. Taichi and Retro-kun have been rivals since S1. (More from Retro-kun's viewpoint than Taichi's though.) But with Rion also in the B class, I'm not so sure now. If Rion beats Chihaya, Taichi could go against her with an avenge the loss motive. It's possible that Taichi might go against both of them in the tournament. I expect Taichi to make the finals for B class which gives him at least 2 rounds of play. Retro-kun for a round and then Rion for the final, maybe??

To be honest, the B class individual tournament is the game set that I'm looking forward to the most. Like Chihaya, I want Taichi to reach A class first of all their achievements this season.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 16:34   Link #915
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've read most every link from a search for "competitive team karuta" and do not see any indication that the players hold the same hands. Everything indicates that they each deal twenty-five of the hundred cards and arrange them as they wish.
I think every pair has the same 50 cards. Taichi keeps track of "dead cards", and has talked of that knowledge as if it applied to all five games being played by his team. Heck, in the latest episode, they worried that Chihaya's best cards were all dead. They know that because they all have the same dead cards.

But the 25/25 split, OTOH, isn't the same. We've seen cards that some members of a team had to attack, while others had to defend.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 18:34   Link #916
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That conforms to the description at Wikipedia
Quote:
Each player randomly selects 25 of the 50 torifuda cards that are also randomly selected from a total of 100, and places them face-up in three layers in his or her territory.
but I'm still not entirely clear on the procedure, I'm afraid.

It sounds like the match directors deal out fifty of the hundred cards, and the other fifty are set aside as "dead" cards. Then they would have to produce enough duplicate decks for every match with the same reader. That would be quite the painstaking task for those preliminary matches with lots of competitors. Now what? How are those cards distributed between the two players?

The Wiki description suggests each player deals out half the fifty selected cards as her "hand." That means there should usually be duplicates in play in every match.
TL;DR…
tough probability problem
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I don't recall seeing that situation depicted in the anime so far, but maybe it came up last season?
Old 2013-04-20, 18:48   Link #917
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Wiki description suggests each player deals out half the fifty selected cards as her "hand." That means there should usually be duplicates in play in every match.
What do you mean by "duplicate"? Each pair has 50 unique cards. Each member of the pair gets 25 cards out of those 50 (randomly selected, one presumes. They certainly don't pick which cards they get.). So what duplicate are you talking about?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 19:05   Link #918
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Each member of the pair gets 25 cards out of those 50 (randomly selected, one presumes. They certainly don't pick which cards they get.).
Who deals them, then? Does one of the players? Which?

Quote:
What do you mean by "duplicate"?
I can only see a couple of methods for distributing the cards at the beginning of the match. Either there is one stack of fifty cards that is distributed between the players by some process equivalent to "dealing," or they each begin with identical stacks of fifty cards and deal themselves twenty-five. I'm not trying to be pedantic here; I'm just trying to understand the process.

If the first method is used, then someone has to deal out the cards between the players. Perhaps some mechanism is used to choose one of the players to deal, and he or she does so. If so, I don't recall seeing that sequence take place in the show so far. It looks more like they each start with a preassigned deck of twenty-five cards which they lay out. If so, I don't know how that deck is determined.

Still you're right that, if this method is used, there would be no duplicate cards.

Under the second method, though, where each player deals herself twenty-five of the fifty cards, duplicates would happen all the time as long as the ordering of the players' decks was not predetermined.
Old 2013-04-20, 19:10   Link #919
HandofFate

either method, don't see there being a way for duplicates to take place.

Each pair shares the cards from one deck.
Old 2013-04-20, 19:15   Link #920
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I wonder if they went and got a real pro karuta reader to do the voicework for the reader this episode. If so that would be really cool. The voice quality certainly sounds different. Assuming that's the case, it's a very nice treat for us anime watchers.
They did according to the credits : Serino Keiko (芹野恵子) is a member of Japan Karuta Association who's apparently 6-dan & full time reader.

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports