AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 20:01   Link #21
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Small Update,

Latest build: 2009/03/10

Opera has also launched limited testing phase for Opera Turbo, this will basically pass pages to opera before passing them back to the user heavily compressed, images will suffer greatly. For users with very bad connection this should be good news.

There is also a Geolocation-enabled Opera build: http://labs.opera.com/news/2009/03/26/

Not useful?
Spoiler for Opera trick (any version):
Old 2009-03-29, 20:13   Link #22
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I used Opera 10 Alpha for awhile now on Windows Vista and currently the fastest (I don't bother using Safari 4 on Windows since it's ugly compared to Mac OS X version), but not so much on Mac OS X. I get strange glitches on the fonts (This is because I use Silk to replace the system fonts on my Mac), the interface isn't as nice and doesn't conforms to the UI guidelines on Mac OS X and it's slow compared to Safari 4 on Mac (which is currently the fastest on Mac OS X, IMO).
Old 2009-05-28, 09:59   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

A opera build featuring work in progress on the new opera skin has been released a while ago.

Download
Screenshots
Windows

Mac

Issues
  1. The Speed Dial design is currently in a very unfinished state
  2. There are a lot of problems with native skins
  3. The new tab button is a placeholder

Related links
Old 2009-05-28, 21:58   Link #24
ashgray2

I'm using Opera web browser right now. The speed is much faster rather than the other web browser (" no need to mention them") . I'm enjoying using this new web browser. Now it's not crashing like the one I've use before.

Old 2009-05-28, 22:25   Link #25
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have downloaded the new alpha build and the new appearance seems to fit with Aero, but it doesn't look that native at all, since they changed it.

I'm still surprised that Opera cannot take advantage of Aero Glass which Firefox 3.x, Google Chrome (with some extensions) and Internet Explorer have.
Old 2009-06-07, 08:18   Link #26
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Old 2009-08-25, 11:54   Link #27
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Opera v10.00 Build 1733, Release Candidate has been released for public download tonight. Looks like we're finally getting to it.

The staff's judged the code is stable enough to warrant a possible wrap-up, and if there are any bugs remaining, the team will simply distribute patches or bunch the fixes together in one single update rather than unleash that deluge of Beta or RC builds that we've been observing those past few months.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:58   Link #28
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Tested the javascript speed with Sunspider with Opera 10 RC and Safari 4 64-bit (Snow Leopard)... Not that well impressed with the Javascript speed... It's alot slower than Safari 4 and Firefox 3.5...

Opera 10: http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...,190,195%5D%7D

Safari 4:http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...70,62,60%5D%7D
Firefox 3.5: http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...49,49,54%5D%7D

Opera 10 interface is still lacking in the Mac OS X version... but the interface isn't bad in Windows and Linux.
Old 2009-08-25, 19:53   Link #29
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Beta versions tend to have problems and thus, I'd rather not try it.

Those two of his favorite features are also my favorite features, very useful and looks good too.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 21:16   Link #30
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Tested the javascript speed with Sunspider with Opera 10 RC and Safari 4 64-bit (Snow Leopard)... Not that well impressed with the Javascript speed... It's alot slower than Safari 4 and Firefox 3.5...
You're not the first person to say that, which is unfortunate. I like Opera quite a bit, but I've actually encountered some sites more recently that brought it to a crawl (version 9). Safari took it on effortlessly. I've also been finding a number of sites that don't work right in Opera. These days, sites with extensive forms or anything of that sort, I generally go straight to Safari and don't even bother with Opera. It doesn't seem to handle the newer, fancier webpages too well.

I have big hopes that the updated Presto engine will fix a lot of those problems. Or even if it doesn't, now the Opera team can be more concerned with tweaking the engine for site compatibility, rather than redoing the entire browser. To be honest, having sites render and work properly is more important to me than Java performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Opera 10 interface is still lacking in the Mac OS X version... but the interface isn't bad in Windows and Linux.
Given how much they were touting that Opera 10 will feel more like a native application on each OS, that's really disappointing. They did a good job by adding in the "Show in finder" to the transfers context menus, but I really wish that they'd add Growl support!

Either way, my fiancee and I are excited for the release of Opera 10. Although we're not loving the new icon so much... but, that's minor.
Old 2009-08-25, 21:48   Link #31
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You're not the first person to say that, which is unfortunate. I like Opera quite a bit, but I've actually encountered some sites more recently that brought it to a crawl (version 9). Safari took it on effortlessly. I've also been finding a number of sites that don't work right in Opera. These days, sites with extensive forms or anything of that sort, I generally go straight to Safari and don't even bother with Opera. It doesn't seem to handle the newer, fancier webpages too well.

I have big hopes that the updated Presto engine will fix a lot of those problems. Or even if it doesn't, now the Opera team can be more concerned with tweaking the engine for site compatibility, rather than redoing the entire browser. To be honest, having sites render and work properly is more important to me than Java performance.

Given how much they were touting that Opera 10 will feel more like a native application on each OS, that's really disappointing. They did a good job by adding in the "Show in finder" to the transfers context menus, but I really wish that they'd add Growl support!

Either way, my fiancee and I are excited for the release of Opera 10. Although we're not loving the new icon so much... but, that's minor.
Opera is great at being compliment with web standards, but the problem is that Opera, even with the redesign to make it look better, it still doesn't look native enough since the toolbars do not unify with the title bar (although Firefox is not native, at least there is a effort to make a native looking skin)... Also, Growl support isn't going to happen until Opera decides to make it a Cocoa app since they still use QT4 toolkit which make it possible to have Opera run on multiple platforms, but at the same time, not be able to run natively or take advantage of what the OS have to offer (if so, it would take alot of work).

Not only that, Opera still missing support for 1Password and Keychain support, neither supported under QT4.

The good thing is that Opera still supports older versions of Mac OS X (including Panther which all the browsers dropped support for).

I have been a heavy Safari/Webkit (since I use Omniweb on my other computer) since it's the fastest browser available and the most native (also, Snow Leopard supposed to speed up javascript speeds even further since it have 64-bit support)... The only problem with Safari is that it's a big memory hog (on average, it uses over 100 MB) but not a big deal on Mac OS X. I have also been using Opera 10 on Windows since it's alot better, but using Firefox 3.5.2 a bit more since it have fixed all those memory leaks. What I'm seeing for Opera being a advantage is the turbo feature which load pages faster on slower connections. I might give it another try on Windows Bootcamp partition of course.
Old 2009-08-26, 05:59   Link #32
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Release Candidate finally? Excellent, downloading at the speed of light.

edit: Aha, seems it still can't identify the correct default email program (identifies outlook express instead of my actual default which is thunderbird). Other than that minor niggle (which isn't even a new niggle) I'm liking what I see so far. The tab thumbs bar is awesome, it's nice being able to see at a glance what each tab is without having to hover over them. It has the same problem as all previous opera versions in that I can't use it for online banking (no surprise there of course, banks don't like to support beta software for obvious reasons) but I can deal with that by using FF for my online banking needs, the pros in opera 10 far outweight any minor cons

Last edited by Radiosity; 2009-08-26 at 06:41.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 14:53   Link #33
Shadow Kira01

The good thing about Opera is that it doesn't require much RAM and it also seems to load websites at a much faster speed than any other browsers. The Speed Dial feature is also very useful. Personally, I am going to get Opera 10 once the stable version comes out.

Safari seems to use up quite a lot of system resources as chikorita had pointed out, while Firefox 3.5 seems to be just as good but it lacks some good-looking themes (skins), as well as the lack of a Speed Dial feature.

As for IE8, I am not going to use it..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 17:06   Link #34
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

What attacted to me to Firefox 3.5 is not only low ram usage, but the aero graphics with the glasser plugin allows to extend to the toolbar which I use with another theme that makes it look like IE8.

Chrome, while using the same Webkit engine like safari, but use alot less ram and also have similar functionality as speed dial, but Mac and Linux versions are still in development. Also, Safari have the same functionality as speed dial, called "Top Sites"

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-08-26 at 19:49.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 17:12   Link #35
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I'm an Opera lover .. but ShadowKira01 .. FF does have speed dial plugin

And instead of chrome.. I prefer Iron as it supports adblock
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 17:58   Link #36
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
RC2's out

BTW, some cool mods of the Emil_RSD skins:

http://andryou.deviantart.com/art/Em...0827-134890705
http://andryou.deviantart.com/art/Em...0827-134888390
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 18:34   Link #37
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The official release is supposed to be tomorrow. I wonder if it'll really be ready...?
Old 2009-09-01, 08:55   Link #38
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, one way to find out:

Opera v10.00 Build 1750 Final

Looks like the server is being hammered on, so you can also dl the installer from FileHippo or FTP if you're experiencing some trouble with Opera's site.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-09-01 at 10:42.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 10:50   Link #39
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Updated and installed. The new skin is pretty nice, the upgrade was painless. On a site that choked Opera version 9, version 10 is handling extremely well. Good times ahead, I hope.

Edit Notes:
*If you use Opera for mail, note that upgrading will wipe your Drafts. Finish (or save elsewhere) your emails before upgrading!
*HTML in emails is an optional toggle, doesn't seem to be enabled by default. In some ways this is nice - or perhaps it's just a nice compromise, given that Opera has always been very opposed to HTML in emails. This ensures that you'll only use HTML if you really need it, I suppose.
Old 2009-09-03, 01:19   Link #40
Defron
Soy Bean

Just upgraded, and I do say I like it. Haven't really noticed anything mind-blowing amazing to me, but has some nice features (in-line spell checking is soo much better than using OSpell). The nicest thing would have to be the speed dial background changer IMO. No longer have to open up the skin file and change it, also it isn't affected by the color scheme (as someone who likes using the color schemes at times, this is wonderful news as before it would ruin my speed dial backgrounds at times).
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, opera