AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2007-10-26, 09:16   Link #181
Casshern

Could someone please post the 18000x18000 image of the orion nebula in the OP on rapid share or something? It's not hosted on the hubble webpage any more
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 13:21   Link #182
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol//Aris View Post
Could someone please post the 18000x18000 image of the orion nebula in the OP on rapid share or something? It's not hosted on the hubble webpage any more
A little late, but I found this site. Largest image size is nearly 400 MB!
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images...heic0601a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
China's not that far behind in lunar exploration either. The Chang'e 1 lunar probe is currently on orbit over Earth, picking up speed before setting off for the Moon as well by next Wednesday 31st October. It'll reach the Moon on 5-6 November. Though it'll be in a different orbit from Kaguya, so they won't hit each other.
Chinese lunar probe enters moon's orbit

There are total of four satellites orbiting Moon right now, China's Chang'e 1 and Japan's Kaguya, and its two sub-satellites. Next year there will be at least two Moon probe launches, one by India and the other by United States.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 22:41   Link #183
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Space exploration looks pretty fun, but that's not probably gonna be happening in our life time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
A little late, but I found this site. Largest image size is nearly 400 MB!
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images...heic0601a.html
That is one terribly large image >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 22:45   Link #184
Oppius
Banned

I heard the Apollo missions in 1960's and 1970's are hoax and I hope the Chinese probe will prove that right.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 22:46   Link #185
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
I heard the Apollo missions in 1960's and 1970's are hoax and I hope the Chinese probe will prove that right.
Both side have strong evidence, so it's rather hard to believe in one or the other. The only true fact is that the Lunar landing is supported and believed in more than the hoax.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-11-06, 23:33   Link #186
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Both side have strong evidence, so it's rather hard to believe in one or the other. The only true fact is that the Lunar landing is supported and believed in more than the hoax.
No, the whole hoax camp have no evidence at all. You seem to forget that we left stuff on the moon. Most notibly, a laser reflector used to this day to make measurements on the exact distance between the earth and moon. If we didn't go to the moon, how did it get there? Not to mention all the other stuff we left that could be seen with a sufficently powerful telescope.

This site debunks a lot of specific claims.

Though the possibility of Chinese astronauts visiting the landing sites is part of the reason we want to beat them back to the moon. That way we can set up a fence and charge admission rather than let them visit these sites for free.
Old 2007-11-07, 09:08   Link #187
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Aren't there other moon probes apart from the Apollo series? xD Luna series?

Anyway, this' a bit late, but more from chandra:

Two Supermassive Black Holes in Same Galaxy
http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/02_...ss_111902.html
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 15:26   Link #188
Kensuke

Spirit and Opportunity, time to find a good hiding place:
Asteroid on track for possible Mars hit

Quote:
The scientists, at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Cañada Flintridge, put the chances that it will hit the Red Planet on Jan. 30 at about 1 in 75.

A 1-in-75 shot is "wildly unusual," said Steve Chesley, an astronomer with the Near-Earth Object office, which routinely tracks about 5,000 objects in Earth's neighborhood.

"We're used to dealing with odds like one-in-a-million," Chesley said. "Something with a one-in-a-hundred chance makes us sit up straight in our chairs."

The asteroid, designated 2007 WD5, is about 160 feet across, which puts it in the range of the space rock that exploded over Siberia. That explosion, the largest impact event in recent history, felled 80 million trees over 830 square miles.

"Normally, we're rooting against the asteroid," when it has Earth in its cross hairs, Chesley said. "This time we're rooting for the asteroid to hit."
Old 2007-12-21, 18:39   Link #189
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
Spirit and Opportunity, time to find a good hiding place:
Asteroid on track for possible Mars hit
I hope it does hit mars. It would be a great chance to observe the effects of an astroid strike on a rocky planet. Who know, it might spark world governments to pay a bit more money to find near earth astroids that may pose a threat in time to do something about them. Unfortuantely it's not an extinction event sized astroid, so if it hits it'll probably have the opposite effect and convince governments that any threat of an astroid strike is mere hype and cause them to cut any funding for programs to find near earth astroids...
Old 2007-12-21, 19:16   Link #190
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'm sorry but this is complete and utter bull on the level of the Hollow Earth theory. You can bounce lasers off of the landing site equipment and several countries have done high resolution photography of the landing site zones. We have freaking dirt and rocks that were not formed on this planet.

Next I'm going to see someone quoting Velokosky as a reputable source -- sheesh. Real science is interesting enough without inventing false and pseudoscience.
Old 2007-12-22, 00:20   Link #191
Defron
Soy Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I hope it does hit mars. It would be a great chance to observe the effects of an astroid strike on a rocky planet. Who know, it might spark world governments to pay a bit more money to find near earth astroids that may pose a threat in time to do something about them. Unfortuantely it's not an extinction event sized astroid, so if it hits it'll probably have the opposite effect and convince governments that any threat of an astroid strike is mere hype and cause them to cut any funding for programs to find near earth astroids...
Not to mention the massive amount of data we will collect, the last (and IIRC only) major impact we saw was when the shoemaker-levy comet hit Jupiter. This is the first big one we will have seen hit a rocky planet.
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 03:10   Link #192
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defron View Post
Not to mention the massive amount of data we will collect, the last (and IIRC only) major impact we saw was when the shoemaker-levy comet hit Jupiter. This is the first big one we will have seen hit a rocky planet.
Indeed, in addition to the two rovers on surface, there is three probes orbiting Mars right now, Mars Odyssey, Mars Express, and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. I don't know can they change their orbit so that they will see the actual impact, and not just the crater, even thought that alone would be enough for a huge amount of data about meteor impacts (well, if it actually hits Mars, the chance is, after all, just 1 in 75).

More about this asteroid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_WD5
Old 2007-12-22, 03:33   Link #193
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I hope it does hit mars. It would be a great chance to observe the effects of an astroid strike on a rocky planet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defron View Post
A-ah! When I first heard that I thought the asteroid was large enough to create a giant impact. Sadly, after reading wikipedia, it doesn't seem large enough =)
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 04:36   Link #194
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate View Post
A-ah! When I first heard that I thought the asteroid was large enough to create a giant impact. Sadly, after reading wikipedia, it doesn't seem large enough =)
It should still be a decent sized one. Sure it's no where near the scale of the one that supposedly hit the earth 65 million years ago, but a 15 megaton astroid strike will make a nice sized crater. If it hits, it'll be a great chance to collect data.
Old 2007-12-22, 04:46   Link #195
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm sorry but this is complete and utter bull on the level of the Hollow Earth theory. You can bounce lasers off of the landing site equipment and several countries have done high resolution photography of the landing site zones. We have freaking dirt and rocks that were not formed on this planet.

Next I'm going to see someone quoting Velokosky as a reputable source -- sheesh. Real science is interesting enough without inventing false and pseudoscience.
I'm missing out on some information then >.<

--

First of all, would debris from Mars actually reach us?

Old 2007-12-22, 14:45   Link #196
Defron
Soy Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate View Post
Yeah, not huge, but still, in par with the one that hit Siberia in 1906, it will still give us a nice insight on impacts. (if it actually happens, I read that the chance might decrease to 1/150)
Old 2007-12-27, 23:22   Link #197
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Quote:
I'm missing out on some information then >.<

--

First of all, would debris from Mars actually reach us?
Hell no. The debris shouldn't pass Mars' escape velocity.

I thought this was pretty cool. THe' Death Star Galaxy" black hole released a massive wave of rays at a neighbouring galaxy.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ch...ws/07-139.html

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 11:58   Link #198
Defron
Soy Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
I thought this was pretty cool. THe' Death Star Galaxy" black hole released a massive wave of rays at a neighbouring galaxy.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ch...ws/07-139.html
I actually was talking with some people about that a while ago.
Its a shame we didn't get to see it actually start hitting the galaxy.
Old 2007-12-29, 06:20   Link #199
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Yeah, that a bit hard considering that particles and even light take vast amounts of time to travel the distance, so it probably will hit the galaxy but not in our life time.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 11:36   Link #200
Defron
Soy Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
Yeah, that a bit hard considering that particles and even light take vast amounts of time to travel the distance, so it probably will hit the galaxy but not in our life time.
I thought it already hit the galaxy.
Quote:
Features seen in the Very Large Array and Chandra images indicate that the jet began impacting the galaxy about one million years ago, a small fraction of the system's lifetime
Also the Mars impact is now 1 in 25