AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-12, 09:05   Link #121
FuzzyWuzzy

I have to say that out of all the anime this season, this one looks disappointing. It has very little potential.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:08   Link #122
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Think the series has good potential to be really solid. Just getting caught up in something that could mean the end of a very long war. Two countries letting their ideological differences divide them.
I agree, I have been waiting for just series like this, two rivaling countries, WWI and WWII era airplanes, plus secret plot or two. Character designs were little awkward, thought, Wil at least.
I really, really hope that this turn good. First episode and preview of second episode gave a good impression.
I had to laugh at Haruhi-lite comments, Allisons personality is definitely that.

Looking forward to this series.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:12   Link #123
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

seems interesting... but whats the deal with the constant trend of girl being badass while the guy is a puss-ass thing with anime now-a-days, theres just way too many in recent years... Its pretty annoying, its suppose to be the otherway around. Only crappy anime's like Naruto gets strong males... is it too much to ask for a strong male lead in a well written story? Arg *rant*
ForgedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:28   Link #124
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedGlory View Post
seems interesting... but whats the deal with the constant trend of girl being badass while the guy is a puss-ass thing with anime now-a-days, theres just way too many in recent years... Its pretty annoying, its suppose to be the otherway around. Only crappy anime's like Naruto gets strong males... is it too much to ask for a strong male lead in a well written story? Arg *rant*
Most anime are like that. Most harem, romance and action/romance are like that. Indecisive guy gets 5-6 females attracted to him or wimpy dude gets lots sexy women attracted to him. The thing is if the guy is not a coward or indecisive then he would choose already and that's the end of the story.

Now, weak female or indecisive female gets tons of great looking powerful men is not what you are looking for. Those animes are shoujo which is targeted for female audience.
Old 2008-04-12, 09:29   Link #125
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@forgedglory
Meh, it's only you noticing the exceptions and deceiving yourself that they're the rule. Still a good amount of what you call 'puss-ass' females in anime, Nodame Cantabile, Clannad, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann had these types of female leads that were pretty good stories, IMO.

That said, the ratio is increasing and its a step up from what it was 10, or even 5 years ago. We're all into gender equality, amirite, mmm?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:40   Link #126
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Hmm, I'll add that a woman who knows her own mind - and isn't afraid of fighting for what she wants - is very sexy. And not all guys are necessarily pushovers in the face of tsundere females. Rock of Black Lagoon comes immediately to mind.

Of course, those shows have nothing to do with Allison & Lilia. If wussy male leads bother you, then perhaps this might not be the show for you? You might want to check out Golgo 13. I hear it's very manly.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-04-12 at 09:42. Reason: For the gar recommendation.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:40   Link #127
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Its pretty annoying, its suppose to be the otherway around.
Whee, let's perpetuate sexual stereotypes, people! Nothing better than sexism!

Anyways, I can also grab almost any Japanese show and demonstrate you that the stereotype does occur, even in shows like these (the Japanese are a very sexist society), though it might require watching it a bit further. At least these ones are a little less blatant about it than, say, Seto no Hanayome (grabbed a non-shounen series to make my point, but those are the most blatant ones).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 10:13   Link #128
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

Sexism Rules! 'nuff said XP

I grew up in a traditional asian household where a man should be a man, if he doesn't have the coconuts to step up, he might as well be a helpless little girl. I guess in this modern age, men can afford to be pansies, as theres no real need to be "tough" anymore. Specifically in places like the united states.

My roommate is Japanese, and he's not as extreme as I am in this view. Although her prefers it that if the female is going to be tough, the guy should be as well. Role reversals is just insulting.
Old 2008-04-12, 10:21   Link #129
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I wouldn't put down on Will just yet. After all someone without guts would have seen a gun get pulled out and probably freeze up. Made a quick move to knock Allison out of the way so she wouldn't end up taking a bullet. Even when he was somewhat concerned about the actions they were going to take he was with her and enjoyed being up in the air.

Nothing wrong with different personality types. Life has driven Allison to take action first. Being a bit of a bookworm Will would be a person who'd think about things before taking action. Think both are fine people in their own right.

I'll just leave the charged debate on stereotypes alone.
Old 2008-04-12, 10:29   Link #130
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

I don't mind if the male lead starts off whimpy but shows progression and becomes GAR.

Tsukune from R+V, Kenichi from HSD Kenichi, Yuji from SnS. are good examples.
Old 2008-04-12, 10:32   Link #131
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

The pace of this show is pretty fast,i like that.But am i the only one having problem adjusting to Will's voice?
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 10:33   Link #132
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

@ForgedGlory:

Well... to each his own. I can't say I'm not annoyed by over-stereotyped female characters, so I'm always glad to find something a bit more balanced.

Though I'm sure Allison will break down and cry at some point or the other.

Old 2008-04-12, 10:40   Link #133
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

In real life you'll be hard press to find a cute and/or "straight" chick who kicks a lot of ass. And if you meet a guy whos as manly as your little sister, you'll end up wondering about his sexuality or his upbringing. As bad as it sounds, thats how its generally viewed.
Old 2008-04-12, 11:00   Link #134
Rembr

Vil seems alright to me, I think it's just gonna take time in the warzone to bring him out of his current state.

The anime isn't spectacular yet at ep2, but at least it's pleasantly average. I'll be tuning in just because the saturday lineup has been wiped.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 11:26   Link #135
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
In real life you'll be hard press to find a cute and/or "straight" chick who kicks a lot of ass. And if you meet a guy whos as manly as your little sister, you'll end up wondering about his sexuality or his upbringing. As bad as it sounds, thats how its generally viewed.
You must not know many women outside your own social circle. I know a lot of "straight" women that would kick my ass, and perhaps yours too (I don't know you, so I can't say). Don't assume that the cultural rules that are particular of your country/society apply to the rest of the world.

Old 2008-04-12, 11:51   Link #136
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Or even to all of your "country/society."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 13:24   Link #137
FuzzyWuzzy

Anime.... you know..... farthest thing from reality.
It may look like it comes close to reality and stops a little short but that is just an illusion.
It looks like that because anime comes from people.... people's imagination and ideals that we can all relate.
But in truth, anime lines, quotes and philosophies are the farthest thing from reality.
Old 2008-04-12, 13:53   Link #138
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I have to admit i am quite stunned after reading the last page of this thread. Wil being a "whimpy" male lead ? From what do we draw that conclusion ? from him not being gung-ho about beginning a self-styled pursuit of unknown (possibly government) vehicle and hijacking a plane ? Is diving in such situations head-first with warcry on lips (which ads up for little besied impulsiveness and immaturity in my books) a supposed indication of "manliness" ?

How did the comparisons with harem males get drawn in to this when that point holds no ground considering the premise and issues of this show and that of "harem" animes, which is a completely different genre ?

He took charge when he needed to in order to protect Allison, both in episodes 1 and 2. Him being generally thoughtful makes him less of a "man" somehow? Are we using something close to "All brawn, no brains" to determine the supposed level of "manliness" ? Because i have another label for such behavior, and it isn't anythign as "glorious" as manly.
Old 2008-04-12, 14:00   Link #139
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

i watched the first episode so i can see if this anime is any good... its not
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 14:54   Link #140
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuma77 View Post
i watched the first episode so i can see if this anime is any good... its not
Thanks for stopping by to let us know...?

Like I put above have no problem with Will right now. An academic who has no experience in those situations will react differently than someone who has been in the military. Sure they are in an armistice right now, but the two did spend time in different environment. Closest Will has gotten to that kind of situation is a shooting tournament. And during those they aren't usually shooting at you .

Think he reacted fine all things considered. Am looking forward to episode two though.

Tags
adventure, historical, shounen