AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-02, 15:03   Link #21
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Why does Sana from Kodomo no Omocha dress up like Cha Cha?
A google search turned up little, other than Chacha seems to have been created by someone who isn't Miho Obana (who made Kodocha).

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-02, 15:30   Link #22
Jump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko
...would anyone know if the group thats doing the TV series has an IRC channel? that way i can find a bot (if im luckey) and d/l one episode at a time. i would use Azurues, but i have less then 9 gigs on my PC right now

I don't think you are understanding me. With Azuraeus, you can download one at a time, two at a time, all the way up to 1 million at atime. If you only want to download the first two episodes of a batch of 72 episodes, you tell it not to download 3-72, and only download 1-2. And you'll only need ~150mb of space to download those first two. Then when you are done, you can tell it to download the next five.

It doesn't matter if you have 9gb or 1gb, you still can download them separately.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-02, 18:37   Link #23
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
I don't think you are understanding me. With Azuraeus, you can download one at a time, two at a time, all the way up to 1 million at atime. If you only want to download the first two episodes of a batch of 72 episodes, you tell it not to download 3-72, and only download 1-2. And you'll only need ~150mb of space to download those first two. Then when you are done, you can tell it to download the next five.

It doesn't matter if you have 9gb or 1gb, you still can download them separately.
Looks like it doesn't matter now. The website is down, as least for me it is. I was going to download this Azuraeus thingy and try to download a few ep. Should have done that when I could.

Hopefully it will be back on soon.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-02, 18:38   Link #24
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
Why does Sana from Kodomo no Omocha dress up like Cha Cha?

-k
Why does Tomo from Azumanga Daioh make references to Lupin III, and why do Guu and Mari in Hale Nochi Guu pretend to be Dejiko? Because those shows are popular, one would assume... (either that or it's a coincidence)

-k
Old 2004-04-03, 17:24   Link #25
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Why does Tomo from Azumanga Daioh make references to Lupin III, and why do Guu and Mari in Hale Nochi Guu pretend to be Dejiko? Because those shows are popular, one would assume... (either that or it's a coincidence)

-k
Yes, it isn't rare that an anime show will makes refence to other. In the very Akazukin Chacha there's an episode that makes a reference to Hime-chan's Ribbon.... Chacha makes the same gestures of Hime-chan when transforming and starts to say parareru, parareru.... Very natural reference as both animes (Chacha and Hime-chan) originated from the same manga magazine (Ribbon) and Chacha TV replaced Hime-chan TV in the same station and time slot.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 19:11   Link #26
silviachan

I really like Cha cha, but it's really impossible to download 75 eps. in a bunch! How could you have such a bad idea? Couldn't you divide the series in smaller torrents?
silviachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 19:21   Link #27
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviachan
I really like Cha cha, but it's really impossible to download 75 eps. in a bunch! How could you have such a bad idea? Couldn't you divide the series in smaller torrents?
Read this thread and look for the word Azuraeus :P

- Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 19:39   Link #28
dee
dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomeando
The original fansubbing was done by Groupe Virelai, a tapesubbing group. Groupe Virelai adapted scripts from Arctic Animation, and Nyanko House and Studio Banzai, both of whom adapted their scripts originally from Arctic Animation. They did a lot of retranslation, and the editing is quite good.

The majority of fansubbing back then was excellent. Check out GV's DVD version of Mahoujin Guru-Guru. ^_^

Due to Artic Animation's "Who Cares" method, several titles were redone by different groups. The most famous was the retranslation of Maison Ikkoku done by NT Anime. It even better than Viz's "professional" version.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 19:48   Link #29
lomeando

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee
The majority of fansubbing back then was excellent. Check out GV's DVD version of Mahoujin Guru-Guru. ^_^
Well, keep in mind "back then" really was late 2000 to mid 2001: the dawn of the digisub age (or at least the early morning of it). I was around back then, and let me tell you, there was a lot of shitty subbing going on, and most of it was unrelated to the primitive state of video encoding software at the time.
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 19:52   Link #30
Mr. Tadakichi
ZB's A-Z of J-Music

I for one am VERY happy to see these eps available. I have a ton of room and a fast connection (I'm DLing at about 200+ kb/ps and ULing at about 150 right now) so this is a dream come true for me. It'll be nice to get all of this onto a couple DVDs. (Big thanks to the other thread about VCD and DVD burning.)

OK, /gloat.

Thank you very much to those providing all of these torrents!
Mr. Tadakichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 20:17   Link #31
dee
dee

Quote:
Well, keep in mind "back then" really was late 2000 to mid 2001: the dawn of the digisub age (or at least the early morning of it). I was around back then, and let me tell you, there was a lot of shitty subbing going on, and most of it was unrelated to the primitive state of video encoding software at the time.

I'm sorry, but I'm not speaking about digisubs. Yes I know it was late 2000/01 that digisubs began, but I was referring to the mid nineties. Artic Animation was one of the first groups in 80/90's to fansub, however, several of their fansubs were redone due to their "WCM" translations.
Old 2004-04-03, 22:24   Link #32
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
Yes, it isn't rare that an anime show will makes refence to other. In the very Akazukin Chacha there's an episode that makes a reference to Hime-chan's Ribbon.... Chacha makes the same gestures of Hime-chan when transforming and starts to say parareru, parareru.... Very natural reference as both animes (Chacha and Hime-chan) originated from the same manga magazine (Ribbon) and Chacha TV replaced Hime-chan TV in the same station and time slot.
Oh... I didn't think of that. I saw the similar character animation style of ACC to Kodocha and I thought maybe it was the same author. Actually the production studios were the same, and it also turns out Kodocha was in Ribbon magazine too.

Do manga magazines often stick with a studio to make their popular titles into anime?

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 01:01   Link #33
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump

...but you will still have 72 partial files siting on your computer once you start the d/l. It may sound hard to believe, but those 72 files might just take up the rest of my hard drive space (i only have about 8.30 GB of free space at the moment). This will slow down every little movement i make on my computer to a snails pace, which is not something i want.
Old 2004-04-04, 01:44   Link #34
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko
...but you will still have 72 partial files siting on your computer once you start the d/l. It may sound hard to believe, but those 72 files might just take up the rest of my hard drive space (i only have about 8.30 GB of free space at the moment). This will slow down every little movement i make on my computer to a snails pace, which is not something i want.
For the answer of your question, may I direct you to here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=10686

last 2-3 posts particularly
Hope that help.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 02:06   Link #35
Paper

Only downloading files you want from a torrent is not the issue. The issue is no one will keep a FULL COPY of the torrent kicking around their hard drive just for seeding. Take, for example, the people who ARE downloading only an episode at a time.

Basically, if you have the space, GET IT NOW. Because once there's no seeders, we will all be screwed (until someone frees up 8.3G of space and the copies all the files from 12 CDs..)
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 03:58   Link #36
lomeando

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee
I'm sorry, but I'm not speaking about digisubs. Yes I know it was late 2000/01 that digisubs began, but I was referring to the mid nineties. Artic Animation was one of the first groups in 80/90's to fansub, however, several of their fansubs were redone due to their "WCM" translations.
See, but Groupe Virelai wasn't subbing Chacha in the mid 90's... though maybe Arctic Animation was. But I'm sure there was just as much shoddiness back then as there is now. In the long run no one cares... the good series attract enough oversubbing (even among tape groups) that there will be at least one good version for people to choose from, and if there isn't people will tend not to think as highly of the series regardless of its actual quality. I know there are plenty of series where poor subbing quality severely detracted from my enjoyment of them, and I don't really have the desire to watch them again or show them to others as a result.

The good series and good fansubs live on, while the old ones die out, bringing about an image of the "glorious past", when all was perfect. In reality you'd probably find the same distribution of quality then as now, almost irregardless of when "then" is. Some people are really dedicated and do great quality work. They're the ones who'll be remembered.
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 04:11   Link #37
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper
Only downloading files you want from a torrent is not the issue. The issue is no one will keep a FULL COPY of the torrent kicking around their hard drive just for seeding. Take, for example, the people who ARE downloading only an episode at a time.

Basically, if you have the space, GET IT NOW. Because once there's no seeders, we will all be screwed (until someone frees up 8.3G of space and the copies all the files from 12 CDs..)
yeah .... I leeched it at work on a 100 mbit connection ('cause I wanted it and am limited to 2 gigs/day at home) ... seeded for about 160 gigs worth ...

and I realized it's only like 18 full copies that I uploaded! a full day of 2 megs/sec upload, and it's just 18 copies. an amount of bandwidth that I consider excessively large for a non-naruto file, and it's just 18 sends. 9 gigs is nothing to sneeze at, it's a pretty huge chunk of data that's just really hard to transfer! I can understand why 70 of the 88 completed sends (according to the tracker's data) have dropped off instead of sticking around seeding. A cable user with 30K/sec effective upload could send a full copy every 3 and a half days or so.

At the same time, there ARE things like azureus, hard drive space is selling pretty dirt cheap, and there's a big proliferation of dvd burners... if you really can't find space for it you may consider dropping 80 or 90 bucks on a 160 gig hard drive. The big prob isn't the space but the sheer bulk of it.

I think this ties in to the recent poll thread in fansub groups about how big torrents should be, too... this torrent is just too big for most people ... though it's still better than never seeing this stuff at all, I spose. Spreadin' old-skool love is never a bad thing, even if it is a gigantic hairy whore like this is...
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 04:22   Link #38
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper

That's not true...

I put up a 4+ gig torrent of YUA2 complete 200 days ago and it has been with seeds the entire time, with an average of over 100 people downloading

For some reason the bigger the torrent the longer the seeds stay.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 04:57   Link #39
wao
OK.

But once most people have finished downloading and no new people come to download for a short time nobody stays online, the distributed copies goes down and it's very hard to get it back up again, thats what people mean I think. :s

How many people out there are actually going to SEED the whole torrent? Hopefully someone will...
Old 2004-04-04, 09:18   Link #40
dee
dee

Quote:
See, but Groupe Virelai wasn't subbing Chacha in the mid 90's... though maybe Arctic Animation was. But I'm sure there was just as much shoddiness back then as there is now. In the long run no one cares... the good series attract enough oversubbing (even among tape groups) that there will be at least one good version for people to choose from, and if there isn't people will tend not to think as highly of the series regardless of its actual quality. I know there are plenty of series where poor subbing quality severely detracted from my enjoyment of them, and I don't really have the desire to watch them again or show them to others as a result.

The good series and good fansubs live on, while the old ones die out, bringing about an image of the "glorious past", when all was perfect. In reality you'd probably find the same distribution of quality then as now, almost irregardless of when "then" is. Some people are really dedicated and do great quality work. They're the ones who'll be remembered.
*Sigh*

I'm well aware that GV did not sub Cha-Cha in the 90's. Artic subbed this in the late 90's and when did I mention it was perfect or glorious? Since you brought up Artic, didn't I just say they were well known for using the "Who Cares" method? In other words, the work was poor to say the least. Oh, they were also theives.

FYI, there were the multiple groups who were doing DBZ, RK, VGA, they quickly faded, and yes, in the "glorious past" quality became the majority and that factors in why AA subs were redone by various groups in the first place. Moreover, it was and still is expensive to fansub.

The allotment of quality is not the same, believe me.

Of course people will be remembered for the good quality of their work. As well as bad quality, AA is a prime example, which I was trying to point out...

Actually in the long run, many people do care, and that's one of the distinctive differences between the yesterday and today's community.

Last edited by dee; 2004-04-04 at 20:36.