AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 32 22.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 29.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 20.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-26, 17:00   Link #41
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As for all the loose ends, such as Reiko's unknown assailant, the dolls and the mystery surrounding Kirika — they're the reasons that there'll be a novel sequel, so it's hardly surprising that they exist. After all, no self-respecting horror-franchise wannabe would kill the golden goose by giving its audience anything resembling "closure".
Does anyone really care about Reiko's unknown assailant? Plus, from what I heard, the novel, manga, and anime are all very different interpretations, so who knows how the novel actually went? I know that the extra person was the same and most of the character names were the same, but the actual execution is very different.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-03-26, 17:02   Link #42
sikvod00

Oh, snap, Kanon. GE gave you a shout-over at RC in his Another post!! You're a celebrity now!!!
Old 2012-03-26, 17:07   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
As for Mei being a teacher, that's an interesting thought, though I certainly wouldn't begrudge her if she didn't (as appealing as the thought about a hot adult Mei is ) - as we know the teacher of class 3-3 is susceptible to the curse as well, so that's a pretty dangerous spot to be in. Luck going sideways, she might even be the first to bite it, before getting a chance to do anything (assuming she even has it in her to keep doing such a job. They are just kids who went through a bloody mess right now, wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to steer as clear as possible). If it were me, I'd look to get as far away from that town as possible, just in case, as soon as I could ... never know when you are going to be hit by a curse-inducted runaway car that was aiming at a class 3-3 student walking two steps in front of you
Crap, it didn't occur to me she would be in danger if she didn't kill the extra fast enough. That's a big risk to take. All she needs to do is take a glance at the students from class 3 anyway, I'm sure she can find other ways to do it. No adult teacher Mei is a bummer though...

As far as I remember, no innocent bystanders have ever been killed by the calamity, so it should be safe to stay in town. Just make sure your kids never attend Yomiyama north. Still, I'd definitely get as far away as I could as well. However, if I had Mei's ability, I'd think twice about it. I would feel guilty knowing I -and only I- could do something to help kids and chose to run away instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As for all the loose ends, such as Reiko's unknown assailant, the dolls and the mystery surrounding Kirika — they're the reasons that there'll be a novel sequel, so it's hardly surprising that they exist. After all, no self-respecting horror-franchise wannabe would kill the golden goose by giving its audience anything resembling "closure".
I don't think there is much mystery surrounding Kirika anymore. Her past explained her strange behavior towards Mei.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:08   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Credit where it's due. I did pick up that "Sakakibara" seiyuu thing and speculated on it at the time, but I didn't catch that tidbit of Kanon's.

And for the record, I gave a shout-out at Lost in America, too!
Old 2012-03-26, 17:14   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Oh, snap, Kanon. GE gave you a shout-over at RC in his Another post!! You're a celebrity now!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Credit where it's due. I did pick up that "Sakakibara" seiyuu thing and speculated on it at the time, but I didn't catch that tidbit of Kanon's.

And for the record, I gave a shout-out at Lost in America, too!
The credit is not mine though

I read about it on the imageboard that must not be named.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:16   Link #46
kitten320

Somehow the only thing that surprised me is the fact that Reiko and teacher are the same person when they don't even look alike and Sakakibara never ever talked to her at school and never ever talked to her at home like to someone who had witnessed everything along with him 0_o
Does she wear a wig? Their hair colour doesn't match!

I had thought of Reiko few times, especially this episode when Sakakibara was on his way to back yard but I kept pushing those thoughts away saying that she is not part of the class!

Is it wrong of me to like Misaki when she is being attacked? Because that's the only time she actually looked alive. Otherwise can't say I'm happy with her character. I still think she should have told him the truth and it doesn't explain why Sakakibara never pushed the issue with who is the dead person in the previews episode.

Don't really get why everyone expected some intimacy between the 2, the only close moment they had was in Sakakibara's imagination. Yeh they are close friends but I never saw anything more than that...

Too bad pigtails girl died though I read that she was supposed to fall of veranda.

Still don't get why manager went berserk.

Over all not a bad show with some really good scenes but all those small details were really ticking me off so over all I give this show 7.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:16   Link #47
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudFace View Post
The best part was someone surviving the chandelier of death and crawled out to make a break for the door only to get hit by a pillar. That burning mansion has some good teamwork going on. (am I a horrible person for LoLing at that scene?)
I LOLed too.... as I did for most of the cheesy killings. In the end only 8 people from the class died? It felt a lot more and..... I cant say I enjoyed the episode. Just like the previous one it was lame do unnecessary massacre and it baldy reminded me of Shiki.

This will get an overall rating of 5/10 for a slow start and a completely mediocre ending.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:18   Link #48
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudFace View Post
The best part was someone surviving the chandelier of death and crawled out to make a break for the door only to get hit by a pillar. That burning mansion has some good teamwork going on. (am I a horrible person for LoLing at that scene?)
I laughed at that scene too. There's always room for some black comedy, and that was it.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:23   Link #49
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For me, the last two eps lost some of the magic of the first 10 - they went for quantity of horror over quality of suspense. The whole thing with the chandelier and the pillar was just silly - it felt more like the finale of Blood-C than Another. Made me wonder if Mizushima-sensei had really recovered from that disaster (and was as blameless for it) as I thought.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:29   Link #50
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I kind of had the same feeling of detachment that I've seen other people post about when watching this episode. I have to wonder if it would have resonated with me and/or others more if Teshigawara or Mochizuki had died/been the extra. They were a lot closer to Sakakibara and had a lot more focus on them, as opposed to Akazawa who was much more often in the background and occasionally outright antagonistic. I definitely felt much more of a connection with them than with her or Reiko.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:32   Link #51
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

am I the only one who enjoys the killfest?

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
Old 2012-03-26, 17:32   Link #52
Dextro
He Without a Title

I have to come in here and eat my words: it turns out it really was Reiko but I was unable to make that leap since it hinges on the fact that she's actually Mikami-sensei as well! That was a twist I was not expecting actually but yeah, on hindsight the auxiliary homeroom teacher is kind of a dead giveaway isn't it?
Old 2012-03-26, 17:37   Link #53
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't think there is much mystery surrounding Kirika anymore. Her past explained her strange behavior towards Mei.
On the contrary, even if one were to discount the dolls, there's still the matter of how she got hold of Mei's mystic eye, the references to her frequent bouts of unease, the mystery behind the missing "husband" and the as-yet-unknown background for her creepy basement, which Mei herself described as a place that draws death (not unlike Class 3-3). The entire tragedy revolves around a void that had to be filled, and an extra mass that has to be removed, every year. Given the number of mirrored motifs in this story, such as the dichotomy between the Misaki twins and the Akazawa cousins, as well as that of the Mikami sisters, I wouldn't be surprised if the situation of Mei's family is meant to be a kind of "mirror" of the Yomiyama North tragedy. It's certainly a candidate seed for another story. (Yup, I straining for puns.)
Old 2012-03-26, 17:40   Link #54
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

So last week this show completely jumped the shark, this week it achieves escape velocity and ends up in orbit. I got a few laughs out of the first half which continued the utter stupidity of episode 11 (Mei and Akazawa's fight was like pro wrestling), but the big reveal was...eh. I'm okay with Reiko being the Another, but Reiko and Ms. Mikami being the same person? You can try to rationalize that all you want, but that's an epic ass pull.

Time to file this one away in the drawer of promising but ultimately disappointing shows along with Ookami Kakushi, the last show of this variety that I can remember that failed this badly.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:59   Link #55
Silverwyrm

This is my kind of show but...it fell out on me halfway through. It didn't even follows its own rules. Someone dies every at end of every ep making me simply not care or anticipate, ultimately resulting in far more deaths than the story predicts early on. It felt like killing characters out of habit rather than a reason or suspense or any such. The phenomenon was supposed to not involve other people, seeming accidents, not directly effect any one person. Yet, more and more the deaths involve other people as the over-killing causes them to run out of ideas.

I loved it so much at start, but it started to feel disappointing halfway through and it became incredibly predictable and shallow, as well as lacking in the suspense it had going early on.
Old 2012-03-26, 17:59   Link #56
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
jumping the shark
People in these threads keep using those words...that's not what the trope means.
Old 2012-03-26, 18:06   Link #57
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

rather interesting way to finish off the series. there are obviously loose ends, but if its a part of a larger body of work that will eventually tie everything up, we can't really complain.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2012-03-26, 18:15   Link #58
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Congratz to everyone who (without the use of spoilers) figured out it was Reiko. Even with what I had seen it was still hard for me to believe it was her. Mostly thanks to that bird Epi 12 did have a view lulz (guy getting out from chandelier only to have beam fall on him) but I think its build up was pretty good, I think we were meant to think it was Izumi based on Mei looking at her.

Glad the Librarian survived. Series gets a 9/10 for me, it delivered on nearly every aspect of why I like horror anime. I want to read the novels now
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-03-26, 18:15   Link #59
Lumir

Meh ionno this ep seemed kinda... Yea FAKE. Walking around in a house burning without even 1 COUGH? Are you seirous? There wasnt even any smoke spare the smoke rising from the house, but man...

The ep was also comical due to the nature of people trying to get away only to get killed by something else, like that dood under the chandelier only to die by a falling pillar.

I guess it ended alright, its just kinda upsetting that so many people died when DEATH SEEING eye girl knew who the extra was. And whats more there was no further development of koichi and Mei's relationship, with the exception of that smile and phone conversation at the end...

All in all the series was interesting but it could have ended better.
Old 2012-03-26, 18:17   Link #60
Kirarakim

I guessed Reiko (or I should say supported that theory) but was thrown off by the whole Mikami Sensei thing.

Well I guess guessing half the mystery is not too bad.

Anyways I feel I am in the minority here with my feelings for this series. While I found it enjoyable to watch week by week I also found it largely forgettable.

For the good stuff even though it was guessed (by some good detectives) before the reveal I like how the series set up the mystery of the Another. I also did enjoy the relationship of Mei & Kouichi.

Unfortunately though that is the only real praise I can give Another. I thought these last two episodes were way over the top in the horror and gore aspect. But even more so I just felt the series had nothing interesting to say. After all the senseless killing of student by student to have your protagonist "have to kill his aunt", seems rather pointless to me in the scheme of things. Yes I understand why he had to do it from a narrative perspective, but from a thematic perspective it seems pretty pointless to me.

I think the series was most interesting in the episodes when Mei and Kouichi were being ignored and they became close over this shared circumstance . I wish this plot line had not been dropped so soon.

I also wish there could have been more development with Kouichi's relationship with his aunt. Although I do realize that might have made her status as the Another too obvious.