AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-31, 09:29   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Kiba

New shounen show airing in April, Kiba is produced by Madhouse (Gunslinger Girl, Trinity Blood) and Aniplex (Kamichu) directed by Hiroshi Koujina (Grenadier). Character design is by Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Jubei Chan) and the conceptual design is by online artist Teikoku Shounen, art direction by Hidetoshi Kaneko (My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and who is also the art director for the up coming Black Lagoon).

Cast includes Hiroyuki Yoshino (Blood+'s Kai) as 'Z' (or is it 'Zedd'?) and the excellent Nana Mizuki (Fate Testarossa from Nanoha, Wrath from FMA) as Roia. Kikuko Inoue (who's been in everything, mostly recently she played Carmen99 in GunxSword) plays Sarah. 17-year-old Nami Tamaki (GSD ED #1) is providing the OP. (I'm a bit miffed Nana Mizuki isn't doing this!).

Official site is http://www.ki-ba.com/ and here's the recently aired commercial on youtube.com.

Here's the blurb from Animenfo:

Quote:
Zedd is a 15-year-old boy who lives in Calm. He is frustrated by daily life, and he's seeking for the place to try his possibilities.

One day, a mysterious wind invites him to a time-space crevasse. He dives into the crevasse seeking for the answer that might be there.

Where he lands is another world. There, "Shadow Casters" have been fighting against each other endlessly using “Shadow”, which is a crystal of magical power. With the power of Shadow, the Shadow Caster uses magic and monsters called "Split".

Fascinated by the power, Zedd wants to be a Shadow Caster. However, he doesn't know that a big Spirit, "Amil Gaul", lies in his body, and that its power is so large as to influence the future of this world…
Sounds a bit generic doesn't it? But wait then there's the background art - feast your eyes on these beauties. Kiba should look good if nothing else and Madhouse have a relatively good track record.

The fact it's being helmed by Grenadier's director hasn't put me off Kiba (yet) as I doubt this series will plunge into DD fanservice. If I remember correctly Grenadier had some well directed action sequences, so that's also encouraging.

Kiba airs on Sundays starting 04/02 on TVTokyo.

Sources: ANN, Animenfo

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-03-31 at 11:10. Reason: factual corrections
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 10:07   Link #2
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The background art is gorgeous, but the whole show looks a bit too shounen-y for my taste.

Also, the character design is rather bland.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 10:42   Link #3
wao
OK.

Actually to be precise the art director is Hidetoshi Kaneko but the conceptual designs are by Teikoku Shounen, a well-known online artist who does awesome, spanking awesome backgrounds (you'll see them in his amateur anime "Rain, My letter and the little girl" (or something like that), which is on ANimesuki).

So those background designs are prolly by Teikoku Shounen, but it'd be great if the art team can do justice to them! No really, they OUGHT to.

Cos the rest of it does look rather boring (I agree about the character designs), so the setting had better be good... and as for Madhouse having a good track record, well, uhhh, um... it depends on which part of Madhouse, maybe... and a lot on the director... for examples of shit!Madhouse, try Ichigo 100% and Okusama wa Joshikousei, perhaps... and for leet!Madhouse there's stuff like Gunslinger Girls..

I think I'd have greatly enjoyed this if this was me about 3-4 years back, though.
Old 2006-03-31, 12:28   Link #4
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Though I'm not part of the demographic these shows are aiming at, stuff like One Piece and the early episodes of Naruto has proved to me that these types of series can be entertaining. I'm not getting too excited though, as I put too much faith in Bleach, Law of Ueki and MAR and see where that got me >_>

I think this is the only show of its kind this Spring, though? I may pick it up for a little bit of balance.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 14:36   Link #5
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
I think this is the only show of its kind this Spring, though? I may pick it up for a little bit of balance.
The only shounen show that doesn't involved collecting cards yes. Although there is Spider Riders, but that's definately for the kids.

I'm keeping an open mind about Kiba because the last time I dismissed a typical shounen show it was FullMetal Alchemist which later emerged as one of my favourite animes...
Old 2006-03-31, 15:15   Link #6
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
The only shounen show that doesn't involved collecting cards yes. Although there is Spider Riders, but that's definately for the kids.

I'm keeping an open mind about Kiba because the last time I dismissed a typical shounen show it was FullMetal Alchemist which later emerged as one of my favourite animes...
Bakegyamon looks simply AWFUL from the promo.

About FMA, I thought it established itself as not your typical shounen show right from the beginning.
Old 2006-03-31, 15:35   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Bakegyamon looks simply AWFUL from the promo.
There is shounen and there is shounen.

Crap like you mention belongs squarely in the "13 and under" category. There is however adventure anime that can be watched by people older than that.

Unfortunaly, it isn't as profitable, so it's a bit rarer.
Old 2006-03-31, 15:46   Link #8
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
About FMA, I thought it established itself as not your typical shounen show right from the beginning.
Absolutely, but I foolishly looked at the promo and went 'bleh!'. It was bad judgement on my part. Something I sorely regretted when I had to download 17 episodes to bring myself up to speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet

Crap like you mention belongs squarely in the "13 and under" category. There is however adventure anime that can be watched by people older than that.

Unfortunaly, it isn't as profitable, so it's a bit rarer.
Rare (more's the pity) but Eureka 7 (and Blood+ to a lesser extent) are showing that adventure based anime still can be worthy and not just be limited to teens...
Old 2006-03-31, 15:49   Link #9
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Yeah, I meant shounen as in the Naruto/Bleach/Dragonball Z type shounnen.

Stuff like Death Note is shounen, and that definately isn't mindless.
Old 2006-03-31, 16:03   Link #10
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

No-no-no, we're talking about the shounen adventure genre (Death Note is different altogether). Naturo and Bleach are rather watchable in this regard.

Bakegyamon which you mentioned, and stuff like Law of Ueki or Digimon Whatevers, fall squarely in the "Anime Made In Order To Make Kids Buy Stuff" category. It's extremely focused on its audience (boys 10-13), thus it's pretty much unwatchable by everyone else.

That is the main difference. There is shounen that allows for variability in its plot, style, characters so that different people can enjoy it, even though its main audience is still teenage boys. Naruto can get damn good at times (although, I didn't watch much of it). Shows like that differ across different episodes and storyarcs, and would allow other audiences to appreciate them as well.

But there are shows that are very structured around a particular audience, mostly because of the concerted marketing effort to reach that audience in all aspects (like sell them toys, or cardgames, or whatever). Thus it is extremely unaccessible to everyone except that audience and weird otaku with a fixation.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a regular story about boys growing up and thus was aimed at teenagers, but it was also dramatically mature in the way it presented that theme, thus it became interesting to a wider audience.

Sonhex here hopes that KIBA becomes something similar. While I don't share his optimism, I might just be wrong for some strange reason.
Old 2006-03-31, 16:46   Link #11
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I guess I'm just lamenting the rather sad fact that this season seems to be woefully short on non-kiddie action adventure shows.

I don't know if Kiba will deliver and I'll be honest and say the promo dented my expectations slightly. I was hoping (and still am) that this won't be like the other lame TV Tokyo primetime output of late (same goes for Air Gear).
Old 2006-04-01, 06:53   Link #12
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
But there are shows that are very structured around a particular audience, mostly because of the concerted marketing effort to reach that audience in all aspects (like sell them toys, or cardgames, or whatever). Thus it is extremely unaccessible to everyone except that audience and weird otaku with a fixation.
Ah, I get you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
I don't know if Kiba will deliver and I'll be honest and say the promo dented my expectations slightly. I was hoping (and still am) that this won't be like the other lame TV Tokyo primetime output of late (same goes for Air Gear).
I dunno, I watched the promo too, and though it wasn't anything special, some parts of it did look a *tad* more sophisticated than Bleach and others. It's the whole concept that's worrying me, though. The whole "wind summoned me to another world where people fight using the power of shadow crystals" thing.

We'll know for sure when it starts tomorrow though.
Old 2006-04-01, 07:20   Link #13
Ramen89

I watched the promo earlier and Im not sure about it, I like Madhouse and everything but it looks like one of those american cartoons that try to be anime like the newer He-Man cartoons, I'll give it a go still because I like shonen anime but Im not expecting much to be honest.
Ramen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 07:45   Link #14
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

So, I caught the first episode. Here's some pre-fansub thoughts...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-02, 08:22   Link #15
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Oi, this was so bad...

It's funny that I talked about the shounen anime that is built around selling toys to little kids. Well, lo and behold, the had ads for the KIBA cardgame... Pathetic!

They show is boring, badly drawn, cliched and not that interesting at all. The main character is a bad parody of Edward Elric (funny, this show is produced by Aniplex), but without any charisma or humor.

The only good thing about it that I liked was about it was the fact that it is very dynamic. The pretty much jammed 3-4 episodes worth of plot into one. Impressive.

Nami Tamaki just can't sing...
The ending song (rap'n'roll) is pretty good, though.

Pass, pass, pass.
Old 2006-04-02, 09:23   Link #16
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The only good thing about it that I liked was about it was the fact that it is very dynamic. The pretty much jammed 3-4 episodes worth of plot into one. Impressive.
Well I certainly agree about the dynamic pacing, it was some achievement in this area if nothing else.

I got a similar vibe to Zoids Genesis: obstensibly it's a kids show promoting it's own merchandise but all the same it has some interesting qualities. Kiba seems much darker than ZG though and the production is considerably better.

Should we be surprised about the cardgame? Anime as a whole is merchandise-centric; each show is about selling something to someone, even if it's just dvds and cds. Even worthy shows have toys...

Yes, I was dissapointed but I'll give it a few episodes and see if it goes anywhere...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-04-02 at 13:01.
Old 2006-04-02, 14:49   Link #17
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Speaking of cliche... 8)

Anyone remember Kawajiri's Lensman movie, based on the awesome old sci-fi novel by Doc Smith? Well, something is reeeeally familiar here. 8)

Old 2006-04-02, 15:12   Link #18
Scribble
Sloth

So how is the card bit implemented? Do they like, shove it down your throat every few seconds? Is the actual "battling" focused on cards?
Old 2006-04-02, 16:06   Link #19
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

The fighting is all about summoning this special familiar-monster to fight for you. The regular crap, in other words.
Old 2006-04-02, 16:15   Link #20
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
So how is the card bit implemented? Do they like, shove it down your throat every few seconds? Is the actual "battling" focused on cards?
Aside from a promotional ad informing us the Kiba card game is coming there was absolutely no inference of cards or the way they're used (if at all) in the actual anime. In other words this is not like Yu gi-Oh. I hope it stays that way.

So far, in the anime, the battle aspect seems to be gem based. With spheres being pulled from a gem held by the shard casters.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-04-02 at 16:27.