AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-01-18, 01:52   Link #1
aldw

SEED/UC character equivalents

If one were to list all of the characters in GS/GSD, who would be their character equivalents in UC?
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 02:48   Link #2
4Tran

By "equivalents", do you mean "exactly the same", "vaguely similar", or somewhere in between?
Old 2007-01-18, 03:01   Link #3
aldw

I mean like, Shinn Asuka would basically be the Kamille Bidan of CE, Rau Le Creuset would be similar to Char Aznable, so who else have comparable characters?
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 03:10   Link #4
4Tran

Ah, so you mean "equivalent" in the "vaguely in the same kind of position" sense. After all Shinn is nothing like Kamille either in actions, self-justifications, or temperament; while Rau is nothing like Char aside from the mask and the part about being utterly nuts (and Char didn't even become nuts until Char's Counterattack).

In that case, I'll nominate Fllay Allster as the CE equivalent of Sayla Mass.
Old 2007-01-18, 03:11   Link #5
tritoch

You got it wrong 4tran, Fllay is comparable to Beltorchika.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 03:16   Link #6
4Tran

Well, the relationship between the Cosmic Era counterpart and the UC "equivalent" only has to have the vaguest similarity, so Sayla Mass is as good a fit as Beltorchika.
Old 2007-01-18, 03:19   Link #7
tritoch

Shinn is like Kou Uraki then. =p

Star of his own show. Got hijacked by the better pilot.. infact, most people remember Anavel Gato rather than Kou whenever Stardust Memory is being talked about.

Last edited by tritoch; 2007-01-18 at 07:33.
Old 2007-01-18, 05:23   Link #8
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

The Cosmic Era universe of Gundam was not created to be an exact carbon copy of Universal Century. If you watch either series, there are many obvious elements that were taken from or influenced by Universal Century, but that's not to say Cosmic Era is just a modern retelling of either First Gundam or Zeta Gundam. So with that said, none of the characters are direct equivalents of each other. Stella is often compared to Four despite her only relatively close connection being she pilots a gigantic Gundam. Shinn is compared to Kamille despite having next to nothing in common with him other than a hot headed temper. Rau closely compares to Char because he is a masked, blonde soldier who is an excellent tactician, but all that is ripped to shreds when Rau goes crazy towards the end of SEED. Mu also shares part of the Char legacy as he is a mentor figure to younger characters like Char was aboard the Argama, and like Char, Mu also seemingly cannot die. On the flipside, Murrue is nothing like Bright even though she is the captain of the main battleship. Natarle fit the Bright mold a little better but of course, no one will ever live up to that. There are obvious similarities between Patrick Zala and Gihren Zabi, but they also do things a little differently.

I could point out more examples but I really don't think I need to. Comsic Era was definitely influenced by Universal Century, but Fukuda was definitely not trying to make an exact copy of either First Gundam or Zeta. The Cosmic Era universe can stand on its own, and if anything, it just has many throwback elements to Cosmic Era and nothing more.
Old 2007-01-18, 06:47   Link #9
tritoch

Were we supposed to take this thread seriously?

If anything, CE is UC without the overdrawn battles. I always thought that UC battles bogged down the story.. Especially all the side trekking. I won't complain though cause in CE we have clip shows.
Old 2007-01-18, 07:12   Link #10
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
You could also work out a small similiarity between Athrun and Char, piloting a majority of red/crimson-like MA (Zeong doesnt count) and wearing shades (Athrun is the only main character in CE I can recall wearing shades) and also that they're both lolicons, lol. They also regarded as ace pilots in their series and always rival the main character.

In contrast with this, Kira also follows some sort of Amuro-type path (not just being a main character) but the whole 'accidentally' jumping into the mobile suit and suddenly owning everyone's house in a white mobile suit and probably becoming the best pilot in their own universes can be slightly similar, also given the fact that both of their final most powerful Gundams use remote weapons as well.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 09:54   Link #11
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

How is Athrun a lolicon? Cagalli is not a ten year old, flat chested little girl.

Actually by current Japan standards she'd need to be four years old.
Old 2007-01-19, 11:20   Link #12
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

the more I read this thread the more I feel that GS/GSD and OVA is more of ripp of of the old gundam series where Amuro, Kamil and Judaou stared before.
Well I least the drawing style is different...
Old 2007-01-19, 14:35   Link #13
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

@kenji you got that right, it's freaking obvious that fukuda ripped of u.c.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 14:41   Link #14
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Off course it is a ripoff.

But Seed was a good ripoff. Ripping off mostly the good parts.
However Destiny was not a good ripoff. Ripping off most of the bad parts.
Old 2007-01-19, 18:22   Link #15
Derringer
Bluefin Distribution
*Scanlator

Hmmmah, Shin shares the same beginning traits as Kamile. They're both hotheaded asswipes that need to be slapped. Both lost their parents. Both have a oddball relationship with a girl who was raised from experimentation and have side effects who pilot huge gargantuan mobile suits and both end up losing said girl, which leads to an emotional change or intensification. Both have an unconventional looking Gundam. The Destiny has a different looking face just as the Zeta does. They both have back attachments with black striping.

Fllay might have started out as a Sayla character, but her fate turned out differently. More likely that Cagali was a Sayla character in the original SEED, but not like her in Destiny.

Kira is obviously supposed to be the new Amuro, but already he's completely different half way through SEED when he snags the Freedom.

Rau is obviously the "guy in the mask," but this has become a standard and not necessarily a throwback to Char specifically.
Derringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 19:01   Link #16
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima
the more I read this thread the more I feel that GS/GSD and OVA is more of ripp of of the old gundam series where Amuro, Kamil and Judaou stared before.
How are those shows ripped off by Seed and Destiny? I can at least see a case for Seed since the beginning portion is based directly off of the beginning of Mobile Suit Gundam, but Destiny is different from other Gundam shows in pretty much all substantial aspects (unless you count the stuff that's common to just about all Gundam shows).

Per the OP, I'll nominate Durandal as the equivalent of Haman Kahn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
However Destiny was not a good ripoff. Ripping off most of the bad parts.
I don't agree. Where Destiny was bad, it was bad in its own way rather in the way the UC shows tend to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derringer
Hmmmah, Shin shares the same beginning traits as Kamile. They're both hotheaded asswipes that need to be slapped. Both lost their parents. Both have a oddball relationship with a girl who was raised from experimentation and have side effects who pilot huge gargantuan mobile suits and both end up losing said girl, which leads to an emotional change or intensification. Both have an unconventional looking Gundam. The Destiny has a different looking face just as the Zeta does. They both have back attachments with black striping.
Aside from the thing with Four/Stellar, there's not much that connects Shinn with Kamille that isn't also shared with a great number of Gundam and even nonGundam characters. And even the Four/Stellar thing has way more to do with the fact that Stellar was supposed to be the new Four than anything else.

Quote:
Fllay might have started out as a Sayla character, but her fate turned out differently.
I'd say that Fllay isn't really anything like Sayla at all beyond the fact that they were in vaguely similar positions.
Old 2007-01-19, 19:57   Link #17
EnigmaticThief
Schach is MAI WAIFU

Send a message via AIM to EnigmaticThief Send a message via Yahoo to EnigmaticThief
List, eh...? I'll reserve my judgement for most characters as I haven't seen all of either SEED series.

~ somewhat similar
= very similar

Characters:

Kira Yamato ~ Amuro Ray
Mu La Flaga ~ Quattro Bajeena
Athrun Zala ~ Char Aznable, then Quattro Bajeena
Rau Le Creuset ~ he is A CHAR! (Yup. Three in one show. Way to go Fukuda.)
Miriallia Haw ~ Frau Bow
Mattock ~ Astonage
Shinn Asuka ~ Kamille Bidan
Stellar Loussier ~ Four Murasame
Lunamaria Hawke ~ Fa Yuiri / Emma Sheen
Druggies ~ Cyber Newtypes

Mobile Suits/Mobile Armors/Ships:

GINN ~ Zaku I
CGUE ~ Gouf B3
ZAKU Warrior = Zaku II
ZuOOT = Zaku Cannon
GOUF Ignited = Gouf
GuAIZ = Gelgoog
ASSH ~ Zakrello (why did bother to copy the Zakrello?)
ZnO ~ Gogg
GOOhN ~ Acguy
Akatsuki = Hyaku Shiki
DOM Trooper = Dom / Rick Dom
METEOR ~ GP03 Dendrobium Orchis parts
Strike Dagger ~ GM
Mistral = Ball
Destroy Gundam = Psycho Gundam/Psycho Gundam Mk. II
Archangel class = Pegasus class (White Base)
Nelson Class ~ Magellan class
Lesseps ~ Gallop class

Last edited by EnigmaticThief; 2007-01-19 at 19:59. Reason: additional info
EnigmaticThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 02:48   Link #18
Derringer
Bluefin Distribution
*Scanlator

Lacus is obviously the new Haman. Both are very good manipulating without effort.

Before Destiny came out, the Ginn was the equivalent to the Zaku II. The Protoype Ginn looks more like a Zaku I than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
H

Aside from the thing with Four/Stellar, there's not much that connects Shinn with Kamille that isn't also shared with a great number of Gundam and even nonGundam characters. And even the Four/Stellar thing has way more to do with the fact that Stellar was supposed to be the new Four than anything else.
Yeah, that's the point. The Stellar and Shin relationship came out in the same manner as that of Kamile and Four and so they had to have nearly the same characteristics in order for that connection to come into play. No other Gundam or non Gundam protagonists caries within them traits that one would be able to match with Kamille. Judau, Shiro, Kou, Usso, Seabook, Heero, Domon, Garrod, Amuro, Loran, and not even Amuro have the same stuck up personality that Shin and Kamile had during the course of the show.
Derringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 19:00   Link #19
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Kira would be Amruo
Athurn/Alex would be char/Quattro
Murre would be Bright?
Andy would be Ramba?
Lacus= wannabe Haman
Patrick Zala would be Giren Zabi?
Mwu would be Sleggar
Ryu would be skinny version of Tolles
Shin kind of Camille
Stella= Four
Luna maybe Fa?
Dom pilots = Black tri stars
Old 2007-01-20, 23:49   Link #20
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Don't forget to add the Big Zam into the Psyco Gundam/Psyco Gundam Mark II mix with the Destroy (in its Attack Mode)
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote