which hunter robin
trigun
evangelion- more confusing then anything
hellsing- good thing i can get the manga
SoulDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 23:47   Link #2
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

final fantasy unlimited is the only one I can think of right now... it was the biggest waste of time to watch that show to the end and have nothing good happen....

I dislike open-ended endings in general... that shit is wack... I think it's best to definitely say something at the end of a series rather than just "leave up to viewer"....
Old 2004-06-23, 00:11   Link #3
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

A lot of people are misguided in this regard. There are endings that really do end on a cliffhanger. The story is not resolved, questions left unanswered.

Then there are endings that resolve everything. All of the facts are there, it only takes a little bit of effort to put them together.

Evangelion and Final Fantasy 7 both fall into the latter. There was an ending. There was little actually "left up to the viewer", simply clues to be put together with a little thought.

Endings I truly hate are those that provide no surprises. I'm upset when I can see every event coming long before it happens. When the storyteller feels they need to explain everything, so that no thought is required to understand or appreciate what is going on.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 02:00   Link #4
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Berserk ending was horrible, but then again it wasn't meant to be an ending. Anyone that watched it without knowing they would have to read the manga afterward to know what happens had to of been pissed, hell I knew it would just cut off and I was still pissed.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 02:41   Link #5
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Onegai Twins
maybe i'm just disgruntled because i guessed the ending at ep. 4 -_-

Evangelion
i wanted it to end so badly during ep. 25...

Yumeria
disappointing, seemed kind of corny

Midori no Hibi
maybe i'm just pissed they're ending it at 13 episodes...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 02:51   Link #6
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
Berserk ending was horrible, but then again it wasn't meant to be an ending. Anyone that watched it without knowing they would have to read the manga afterward to know what happens had to of been pissed, hell I knew it would just cut off and I was still pissed.
I heard they did eventually continue the anime series where it had left of, or that they were going to. This may have just been a rumour, though.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 06:36   Link #7
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
GTO..., Onizuka really got busted and left his friends on a another country... well... that's a bad ending... right?

.Hack\\legen of teh twillight... only 10-13 eps.!? you are kidding right!?
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 08:25   Link #8
Silent Otaku

Evangelion- I would have loved the series and the movie but It felt like they cut the last 5 min of it or something. What the heck was up with him choking Asuka

BerserK- not really a bad ending, because techinically it's not over yet. But I would have loved for someone to pick this up again, Maybe Gonzo? J/k

Ikkitousen- after ep 5 everything went downhill, alot of things happened that did make sense

Airmaster- Unless season 2 comes out this left things unanswered.
Silent Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 09:33   Link #9
varica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
Yeah, I agree. I haven't read the manga, but I was really getting into the series when it ended like that. I thought it had run out of budget or something so the ending was rushed. Really disappointing.
varica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 09:49   Link #10
Fronzel
Schmuck

More than anything else, Blue Gender. I really enjoyed it up until episode 23 or so, when it went a bit bad, but 26 hurt me so much. Just weird, stupid and senseless, didn't work as an esdnig for that series.

I didn't even mind Spiral's ending.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 10:02   Link #11
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Gundam seed - the ending made the whole story pointless. It started out with a war premise and ended up like some gay love story
Getbackers - rushed ending, didn't provide that many answers
Gungrave - if you're gonna spend 24 episodes trying to kill a guy, at least do us a favor and kill him
Narutaru - mindfuck
trigun - cheap
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 10:03   Link #12
varica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
More than anything else, Blue Gender. I really enjoyed it up until episode 23 or so, when it went a bit bad, but 26 hurt me so much. Just weird, stupid and senseless, didn't work as an esdnig for that series.

I didn't even mind Spiral's ending.
oh, I really enjoyed Blue Gender. It was the beginning I found annoying, with Yuji screaming all of the time. After the first 2 eps he calms down a bit, and it gets better from there. I quite liked the ending.
varica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 10:06   Link #13
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
GTO..., Onizuka really got busted and left his friends on a another country... well... that's a bad ending... right?

.Hack\\legen of teh twillight... only 10-13 eps.!? you are kidding right!?
Both of the series you mentioned have manga counterparts that not only tell the story better (in LotT's case, a different story altogether) but also end it differently (GTO's manga ending is so much better)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 10:41   Link #14
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

The legendary fight between Fighter Volk and Leila Ashley
AVENGER
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 10:43   Link #15
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

the endings that piss me off most is those endings which are so forced and make no sense. Like a sudden deus ex machina kind of happy or sad ending. a happy ending just for a happy ending's sake, or a sad ending just for a sad ending's sake. They are like cheating imo.

For example, Saber Marionette J,
Spoiler:

Another example is in Scryed,
Spoiler:

Well, it seems the endings I dislike most are mostly from series I actually enjoys...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 11:03   Link #16
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

I don't have any complains 'bout SM endings, but you do have a point.
Probably just to make way for the next season of SM.
The end of the series...
Spoiler:

Hey, months ago, Akahori Satoru announced that a new Saber Marionette (manga/anime???) is in the works.
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 11:08   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ran
AVENGER

I am not usually bothered by any ending except for Mamotten Shugogetten OVA. Compare to other OVA series that one had the worst "ending" because it didn't have one to begin with. Yes I understand OVA's are sometime transition to the TV series to come depending on how the viewers have responded, but still if anyone has seen the OVA should have the similar view point.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 12:33   Link #18
Silent Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ran
AVENGER
I Liked the fight, but I agree, what the heck was up with the ending. The old hero rides of into the sunset cliche.
Silent Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 15:00   Link #19
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Anime Endings- The Truth

So I've noticed that no matter what anime I watch- there never seems to be one that ends in a way that half of the viewers can accept. They chalk it up a rushed production schedule and argue that the series was great until the end. Now, I wonder whether some people are disinclined to like endings because it means the anime they enjoyed is over.

I personally think that Scrapped Princess, Gilgamesh and plenty others have ended splendidly...

What do you think? Can animes simply not end well due to financial constraints and the 22 min episode length constraints or do some/most anime endings pull off acceptable (or even likable) endings?
Old 2004-07-16, 15:12   Link #20
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

I dunno, I haven't been able to follow too many animes to the end... And a lot of the animes I consider the best are ones that are made by companies themselves, not adapted from mangas (Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Tenchi Muyo! OAVs). The ones that are adapted from mangas I tend not to like as much (or at least prefer to read them in manga form instead)

Trigun I thought ended nicely, but I haven't read much of the manga...
Midori no Hibi, I really liked the ending to (even though I'm probably in the vasy minority on this one), though, again, haven't read the manga...
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote